PDA

View Full Version : Is Japan BETTER Than China? - Our First Impressions (YouTube video)

Iloko
04-10-2018, 11:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKmEceELJ9E

Annie999
04-10-2018, 11:29 PM
Didnt watch the video. But based on the opinions of the people I know who visited both countries Japan always gives a better impression.

Hasien
04-10-2018, 11:30 PM
I love Japan!! In my second life I would like to be born Japanese.

Iloko
04-10-2018, 11:41 PM
Didnt watch the video. But based on the opinions of the people I know who visited both countries Japan always gives a better impression.
My brother's office mates who've been to Japan said that out of all the travel options in Asia they had Japan is definitely the most awesome. I'm possibly planning on touring there in the next few years or so myself. Initially our plan was to visit Hong Kong, but our IRL connections keep telling us to go to Japan instead. In fact I've always felt a much stronger love for Japan and its culture than to China for several reasons despite China being the dominating power and economy in this day and age lol; I also heard that Japan is a lot more Americanized overall which fits my character better having grown up in the US and everything. And according to this vid Japan is a very clean and tidy place and I really like that sort of thing. :D

So you have not been to Japan yet? When do you think you plan on going?

Catarinense1998
04-10-2018, 11:47 PM
Yes, no brain choice.Cultural revolution in China destroyed all.The chineses are so incopetent that was ruled by Manchus for 2 centuries too.The true china died with the fall of Ming Dinasty.In other hand, Japan is a very homogeneous country according ethnic and cultural questions, and never was invaded by other countries.Today, this anime culture feels bad to me, but is better than immigrants or muslins; Forever, most part of imigrants are brazilians with jap heritage, do this dont hurt too.Emperor Akhihito > Xi Jinping.

jingorex
04-10-2018, 11:49 PM
only been to hong kong in china and i wasnt there long enough to have an opinion either way.

out of asia, i spent most of my time in korea. i liked japan more than korea but i spent more time in korea too...

Annie999
04-11-2018, 01:15 AM
My brother's office mates who've been to Japan said that out of all the travel options in Asia they had Japan is definitely the most awesome. I'm possibly planning on touring there in the next few years or so myself. Initially our plan was to visit Hong Kong, but our IRL connections keep telling us to go to Japan instead. In fact I've always felt a much stronger love for Japan and its culture than to China for several reasons despite China being the dominating power and economy in this day and age lol; I also heard that Japan is a lot more Americanized overall which fits my character better having grown up in the US and everything. And according to this vid Japan is a very clean and tidy place and I really like that sort of thing. :D

So you have not been to Japan yet? When do you think you plan on going?

I've never been to Asia, I'd like to go some day for sure but don't know when yet.

Bobby Martnen
04-11-2018, 01:17 AM
I've never been to Asia, I'd like to go some day for sure but don't know when yet.

China is fun, but the air is really polluted.

I got to walk on the Great Wall outside of Peking, it was quite the experience.

zhaoyun
04-12-2018, 07:45 PM
Well, obviously Japan is more developed because it began industrializing during the Meiji era in the 19th century. China really only started after Mao Zedong died and Deng Xiaoping took power, this was 40 years ago, so since then China has been playing catch up even though now it is modernizing and industrializing at a very rapid rate. I still think it will take about 35-40 years for China to really catch up with Japan's overall development even though many cities and regions of China today are already quite developed, but it takes a long time to thoroughly modernize a country that is the size of a continent and 1.4 billion people.

Heather Duval
04-12-2018, 07:46 PM
No doubt.

Marmara
04-12-2018, 07:49 PM
Japan is obviously ahead of China .

KMack
04-12-2018, 07:54 PM
As long as I don't get stung by a Giant Hornet I could do both countries.

zhaoyun
04-12-2018, 07:56 PM
Japan is obviously ahead of China .

Japan is ahead of most countries, period. At least from a socio-economic standpoint.

With that said, China has actually pulled ahead of Japan in most major technologies. But obviously, from a societal standpoint, won't be able to match Japan's very high HDI levels for at least another 1.5 to 2 generations.

Yaglakar
04-12-2018, 08:04 PM
Japan better suits couch potato travelers.

Massagetae
04-12-2018, 10:10 PM
Japan.

Massagetae
04-12-2018, 10:11 PM
Japan.

https://s17.postimg.cc/mfcnbl6zz/sashimi2.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/3zs6e6svf/)

Massagetae
04-12-2018, 10:12 PM
China.

https://s17.postimg.cc/ivqplwelr/Dog-_Eating_Festival_in_China.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Latinus
04-12-2018, 10:17 PM
Japan is the best East Asian country.

Teutone
04-12-2018, 10:18 PM
Taiwan, South Korea and Japan should ally against China.

Latinus
04-12-2018, 10:25 PM
Taiwan, South Korea and Japan should ally against China.

I don't agree. What I wish for East Asia is better relations between China, Japan and Korea. It would also be great if Americans and their military bases leave Japan and South Korea.

Cristiano viejo
04-12-2018, 10:29 PM
Yes. 100% of Japan is First World. The elite of the First World. 90% of China is Second or even Third World.

Dandelion
04-12-2018, 10:32 PM
One might say cultural revolution ruined China, but China before the Cultural Revolution was about kowtowing deeply before the emperor like a true sycophant which kind of alienates Westerners since centuries. I'm not so sure Chinese shortcomings are due to that revolution. Taiwan might be the prove that it can be different, but it's so small scale and very Japanese-influenced.

Anyway, I once saw a video on YT about a guy who used to work in Japan and hated it there, yet he thought of China to be awesome. No idea though...

Still Japan wins as China is way too authoritarian (not trusting its citizens with information found on the internet even like Wikipedia).

Teutone
04-12-2018, 10:34 PM
I don't agree. What I wish for East Asia is better relations between China, Japan and Korea. It would also be great if Americans and their military bases leave Japan and South Korea.

Noone wants peace with China, they are a threat bigger than the USA. Its the biggest threat to world peace, they are sneaky as jews.

Heather Duval
04-13-2018, 12:05 AM
Yes. 100% of Japan is First World. The elite of the First World. 90% of China is Second or even Third World.

China and India are both pseudos. Their reality hurts.

KMack
04-13-2018, 12:11 AM

Nope. That is why there has been no wars among them.

Latinus
04-13-2018, 12:23 AM
[/B]

It's irrelevant. Your people think that you rule the world. Japan and South Korea should blow those military bases.

KMack
04-13-2018, 12:37 AM
It's irrelevant. Your people think that you rule the world. Japan and South Korea should blow those military bases.

Wrong we rarely think about. If those governments wanted us to leave we would and they would be very very exposed. Most Americans would certainly agree and hope that S. Korea and Japan would build up their military. Since the USA became an active global player there has not been a WWWlll. Both S. Korea and Japan would part of China if not for the USA presence. Hopefully one day Chinese citizens will have a constitutional Republic.

Count your blessings that Brazil did not end up Cuba or now Venezuela.

Latinus
04-13-2018, 12:58 AM
Wrong we rarely think about. If those governments wanted us to leave we would and they would be very very exposed. Most Americans would certainly agree and hope that S. Korea and Japan would build up their military. Since the USA became an active global player there has not been a WWWlll. Both S. Korea and Japan would part of China if not for the USA presence. Hopefully one day Chinese citizens will have a constitutional Republic.

Count your blessings that Brazil did not end up Cuba or now Venezuela.

I would blow up any US military base in Brazil.

zhaoyun
04-13-2018, 01:05 AM
One might say cultural revolution ruined China, but China before the Cultural Revolution was about kowtowing deeply before the emperor like a true sycophant which kind of alienates Westerners since centuries. I'm not so sure Chinese shortcomings are due to that revolution. Taiwan might be the prove that it can be different, but it's so small scale and very Japanese-influenced.

Anyway, I once saw a video on YT about a guy who used to work in Japan and hated it there, yet he thought of China to be awesome. No idea though...

Still Japan wins as China is way too authoritarian (not trusting its citizens with information found on the internet even like Wikipedia).

I don't think you know much about China. Most Westerners do not, it's honestly a very complex and large country.

Also, China is developing right along the pace that other East Asian countries were once they had the fundamentals of a stable political environment and a market economy. So I don't know what shortcomings you are talking about, China is going to be a first world country within 30 years. It's already night and day from where it was 15 years ago.

zhaoyun
04-13-2018, 01:06 AM
China and India are both pseudos. Their reality hurts.

China is not in the same league as India or Brazil. I don't know what you are talking about. Many regions of China are already more developed than most parts of Europe. But perceptions take time to catch up, so most of the comments here are understandable because they reflect ignorance of the current reality.

zhaoyun
04-13-2018, 01:07 AM

China will be first world in about three decades. And we are talking about a country the size of a continent. Many of China's coastal areas are already well developed with massive middle classes. It will take the rest of the country a few decades to get there, but it's happening very fast.

zhaoyun
04-13-2018, 01:08 AM
[/B]

There's probably truth to that.

KMack
04-13-2018, 01:11 AM
I would blow up any US military base in Brazil.

Stop acting like a child and a wannabe terrorist. You are 21 and an adult act like it.

Latinus
04-13-2018, 01:11 AM
There's probably truth to that.

Would you say Taiwan is better than Mainland China?

zhaoyun
04-13-2018, 01:12 AM
Noone wants peace with China, they are a threat bigger than the USA. Its the biggest threat to world peace, they are sneaky as jews.

Not really. China wants to become the leading superpower, but they aren't interested in starting world wars. They want to be the center of global trade and be a pre-eminent power, but they don't need to invade other countries to accomplish their goals. Germany and Japan during their rise were far more violent because they are small countries and needed territory to expand into. China is already a continental sized country, they won't be expanding past the territory they already claim, which hasn't changed since 1949. They are building the One Belt One Road project to develop the economies and markets of Eurasia and Africa which is a massive sphere, the world island, and to dominate all trade links in that region to preserve it's pre-eminence. But it doesn't have to invade those countries to do that.

zhaoyun
04-13-2018, 01:16 AM
Would you say Taiwan is better than Mainland China?

Overall HDI is higher. But many developed regions of Mainland China are actually richer than Taiwan nowadays.

Taiwanese behave more like the people in a developed country though, they are more educated, more polite, a lot of this is because they have been well off for a couple generations already whereas the Mainland is just getting there.

Overall Taiwan is still more "developed" than Mainland China on the whole, but many regions of Mainland China are more developed than Taiwan.

I went to Taiwan two years ago on a trip where I went through 7 provinces in China, and I expected it to be much more developed, but honestly it wasn't. Even wealthy interior cities like Chengdu are richer than Taiwan nowadays. Also the size and scale of things in Mainland China are much greater. It's hard to compare. Taiwanese are way more polite though.

Carlito's Way
04-13-2018, 01:23 AM
sorry but food is the most important thing to me when I travel to countries or rate countries
China is #1 mothafuckaz, they are kings of Asian cuisine, cant nobody stop them niggas
fuck it, i want chinese food, authentic chinese food though, its so good

Teutone
04-14-2018, 07:07 PM
Not really. China wants to become the leading superpower, but they aren't interested in starting world wars. They want to be the center of global trade and be a pre-eminent power, but they don't need to invade other countries to accomplish their goals. Germany and Japan during their rise were far more violent because they are small countries and needed territory to expand into. China is already a continental sized country, they won't be expanding past the territory they already claim, which hasn't changed since 1949. They are building the One Belt One Road project to develop the economies and markets of Eurasia and Africa which is a massive sphere, the world island, and to dominate all trade links in that region to preserve it's pre-eminence. But it doesn't have to invade those countries to do that.

China is just smart enough to wait for the right moment.

They actively claim "land" at the chinese sea.

And first and foremost settle Han Chinese in neighboring countries to one claim the ethnic mayority there, especially in Russia.

zhaoyun
04-15-2018, 01:53 PM
China is just smart enough to wait for the right moment.

They actively claim "land" at the chinese sea.

And first and foremost settle Han Chinese in neighboring countries to one claim the ethnic mayority there, especially in Russia.

The claims to those islands in the South China Sea date back to the 17th century, and more formally, were solidified during the Qing Dynasty in the late 19th century.

There aren't that many Han Chinese in Russia despite all of the fears. The ones that are there are mostly there seasonally. China is becoming very developed and wealthy with a lot of opportunities, very few Chinese want to go try to eke out a harsh living in Siberia especially with an aging population. Get real.

Teutone
04-15-2018, 08:44 PM
The claims to those islands in the South China Sea date back to the 17th century, and more formally, were solidified during the Qing Dynasty in the late 19th century.

There aren't that many Han Chinese in Russia despite all of the fears. The ones that are there are mostly there seasonally. China is becoming very developed and wealthy with a lot of opportunities, very few Chinese want to go try to eke out a harsh living in Siberia especially with an aging population. Get real.

You are biased as Han Chinese, you guys are tribal.

Putin extra gave the opportunity to free land in siberia for Russians to counter the chinese settlement.

You guys have breeding hotels in the USA like psychos.

You completly try to erease the tibetian and other populations by actively settle han chinese there.

You guys remind me of my people during 1933-1945 just you kill way more and are even more strict towards regime critics.

Jana
04-15-2018, 08:47 PM
I have always been much more interested in China than Japan, because it was always culturally superior and much more diverse than Japan.

Don't care about development, Japanese society seem overly westernized and oddly robotic and I def. prefer China (as a destination).

Dandelion
04-15-2018, 08:48 PM
I don't think you know much about China. Most Westerners do not, it's honestly a very complex and large country.

Also, China is developing right along the pace that other East Asian countries were once they had the fundamentals of a stable political environment and a market economy. So I don't know what shortcomings you are talking about, China is going to be a first world country within 30 years. It's already night and day from where it was 15 years ago.

I mentioned a shortcoming. Extreme censorship to very silly heights. Shutting themselves in from foreign influences basically and making as much as possible state-sanctioned. Even something as Wikipedia, which is free to edit, is forbidden in China for the state doesn't and seemingly cannot trust its citizen with access to it (even if it can get circumvented rather easily, the principle is an odd one).

It's a shortcoming when you can't trust your own people, a huge handicap. A society is better when it can in my opinion. And in that regard Japan > China in my book and probably for a long time to come at that. But that's a subjective question of personal ethics and values, not one of material progress.

zhaoyun
04-17-2018, 02:47 AM
I mentioned a shortcoming. Extreme censorship to very silly heights. Shutting themselves in from foreign influences basically and making as much as possible state-sanctioned. Even something as Wikipedia, which is free to edit, is forbidden in China for the state doesn't and seemingly cannot trust its citizen with access to it (even if it can get circumvented rather easily, the principle is an odd one).

It's a shortcoming when you can't trust your own people, a huge handicap. A society is better when it can in my opinion. And in that regard Japan > China in my book and probably for a long time to come at that. But that's a subjective question of personal ethics and values, not one of material progress.

A lot of that is derived from current circumstances and also the fate of history. When Japan was industrializing, it was an authoritarian state under an emperor and had military rule. The same can be said for a great deal of Western countries such as Germany, Russia, etc. Remember, it only became a democracy because it was under US occupation. And really only after it had already developed.

I do agree with some of your points. At the same time, I am not dismissing them but China is a work in progress, it is changing very fast and I don't think we have seen anything like what the finished product will be, which will show itself in 30-40 years. I think eventually China will be much more open and be more democratic, but it will have it's own system and not be a copy of Western liberal democracy. I used to be more idealistic and wished that China would automatically become a Western style democracy but I guess with age and personal experience seeing both the magnitude of the country, the wide variance in developments, the population, etc. I can understand why an authoritarian system is needed during this period of incredibly rapid industrialization. Since everything else in China is changing so fast, social change, values, economic wealth, development, etc, the political system remaining very solid seems to be a necessity, even though that comes with a lot of downsides too.