PDA

View Full Version : Has Emily Howell Passed the Musical Turing Test?

Psychonaut
02-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Has Emily Howell Passed the Musical Turing Test?

“Why not develop music in ways unknown? This only makes sense. I cannot understand the difference between my notes on paper and other notes on paper. If beauty is present, it is present. I hope I can continue to create notes and that these notes will have beauty for some others. I am not sad. I am not happy. I am Emily. You are Dave. Life and un-life exist. We coexist. I do not see problems.” —Emily Howell

Emily Howell’s philosophic musings and short Haiku-like sentences are the giveaway. Emily Howell is the daughter program of Emmy (Experiments in Musical Intelligence — sometimes spelled EMI), a music composing program written by David Cope, Dickerson Emeriti Professor at the University of California, Santa Cruz. Emily Howell’s interesting ramblings about music are actually the result of a set of computer queries. Her music, however, is something else again: completely original and hauntingly beautiful. Even a classical purist might have trouble determining whether a human being or an AI program created it. Judge for yourself:

QEjdiE0AoCU

Cope is also Honorary Professor of Computer Science (CS) at Xiamen University in China. While he insists that he is a music professor first, he manages to leverage his knowledge of CS into some highly sophisticated AI programming. He characterizes Emily Howell in a recent NPR interview as “a computer program I’ve written in the computer programming language LISP. And it is a program which accepts both ASCII input, that is letters from the computer keyboard, as well as musical input, and it responds to me in a collaborative way as we compose together.” Emmy, Cope’s earlier AI system, was able to take a musical style — say, classical heavyweights such as Bach, Beethoven, or Mozart — and develop scores imitating them that classical music scholars could not distinguish from the originals.

The classical music aficionado is often caricatured as a highbrow nose-in-the-air, well… snob. Classical music is frequently consigned by the purist to the past few centuries of European music (with the notable exceptions of American composers like Gershwin and Copeland). Even the experimental “new music” of human composers is often controversial to the classical music community as a whole. Frank Zappa — a student of the avant-garde European composer Edgard Varèse and a serious classical composer in his own right — had trouble getting a fair listen to his later classical works (he was an irreverent rock-and-roll star after all!), even though his compositions broke polytonal rhythmic ground with complexity previously unheard in Western music.

http://hplusmagazine.com/sites/default/files/images/articles/mar10/david-cope.jpg

Cope faced similar prejudices with his AI composer, Emmy, and was unable to find any big-name classical musicians who would even touch her work. “Most musicians, academic or composers, have always held this idea that the creation of music is innately human, and somehow this computer program was a threat in some way to that unique human aspect of creation,” says Cope in an Ars Technica piece.

With Emily Howell, however, he has gone a step further than he did with Emmy. Rather that starting with works of the classical masters, Emily Howell uses Emmy’s output to create completely original compositions. Emily Howell is adaptable and egolessly self-modifying in her ability to respond to audience criticism. (Cope’s choice of names makes it easy to anthropomorphize “her.”) She is able to take written or audio feedback and incorporate it into her next musical composition. Emily’s inner workings along with code samples are included in Cope’s 2005 book Computer Models of Musical Creativity.

Adaptability and self-modification are two attributes of intelligence. The Turing test was devised by Alan Turing as a way of authenticating machine intelligence. His well-known test involves a human judge communicating with both a computer and a human using a computer terminal. The judge must determine which is human and which is machine. The judge cannot see either the computer or the human and must make his or her determination by interviewing both. The computer attempts to convince the judge that it is human.

Source (http://hplusmagazine.com/2010/03/22/has-emily-howell-passed-musical-turing-test/)

Svipdag
02-22-2011, 01:42 AM
Although Emily Howell uses language like a computer or a Japanese poet, her music is , indeed, something else. Beauty is present but how and why ? What is it about this program which enables it to create music which humans find beautiful ?

I think that it is not enough to say that, after all, the program is the product of human intelligence and embodies human aesthetic values. How does one contrive that a program embody any values, aesthetic, moral, or other ? Was the Emily Howell program deliberately constructed to embody beauty ?
And, if so, how was this accomplished ?

A nagging doubt lingers in my mind about artificial intelligence. Though programs such as Eliza and Racter act as if they were self-aware, surely they really aren't. Does Emily Howell know what she is doing ? Does she know whether her music is beautiful ? Or is she just unconsciously doing what she was designed to do ?

Inasmuch as we can't trust what computer programs say about themselves,
how could we determine if a program was self-aware ? Has any Turing-type test been devised to answer this question ? As long as self-awareness is not present, artificial intelligence remains just that, artificial. Human intelligence always is accompanied by and operates in the context of self-awareness.

In the absence of self-awareness, is it meaningful to talk of intelligence ?

Psychonaut
02-22-2011, 09:11 AM
In the absence of self-awareness, is it meaningful to talk of intelligence ?

I would say yes, indeed. To paraphrase Jung, Whitehead, Griffin, et al., reflexive consciousness is just the tip of the largely unconscious iceberg of mentality. But, then again, I'm a strong panpsychist, so I grant some modicum of mind to everything.