PDA

View Full Version : Urban Sustainable Living: Transforming a Room into a Garden

Sol Invictus
02-20-2011, 01:55 AM
Surviving the Middle Class Crash (http://survivingthemiddleclasscrash.wordpress.com/2011/02/18/transforming-a-room-in-your-house-to-an-indoor-gardening-area/) | February 19 2011

eLOuhPfc_jA

Bloodeagle
02-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Starting seeds indoors under lights is great for jump starting the garden but.....
Full scale indoor production gardening is not an affordable alternative to gardening outdoors. The high cost of powering a few kilowatts per hour indoor garden is only sustainable to the riches that are made off of marijuana cultivation. My 2 cents. :)

Sol Invictus
02-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Solar power? :)

To me sounds like a reasonable investment if you have you own plot of land..

Bloodeagle
02-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Solar power? :)

To me sounds like a reasonable investment if you have you own plot of land..

Solar powered greenhouse, yes, but photovoltaic energy dedicated to HID's would be ridiculously cost prohibitive, when the average installed cost per photovoltaic watt is over US$7 per watt. Eastern Canada with an average 4-5 sun hours per day of insolation could produce 5 watts a day for 7 U.S. dollars invested. This gets expensive when you start burning a few 600 watt HPS fixtures.

Germanicus
02-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Over here in the UK we have Allotments, these are council owned land that can be rented for growing vegetables all the year round.
The only draw back is there is usually a waiting list, as they are currently in demand:(
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n449/ruffusruffcut/councilAllotments.jpg

Germanicus
02-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Starting seeds indoors under lights is great for jump starting the garden but.....
Full scale indoor production gardening is not an affordable alternative to gardening outdoors. The high cost of powering a few kilowatts per hour indoor garden is only sustainable to the riches that are made off of marijuana cultivation. My 2 cents. :)

The Logical solution:)