PDA

View Full Version : African robbers pick wrong store

SwordoftheVistula
02-20-2011, 12:26 PM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2011/02/18/alg_anthony_spinelli.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/02/17/2011-02-17_bronx_jeweler_anthony_spinelli_says_he_went_int o_survival_mode_in_gunfight_with_.html

A tough-as-nails Bronx jeweler insisted Thursday he went into "survival mode" when he opened fire on a team of dapper bandits who burst into his shop and put a gun to his temple.

"I was the victim," Anthony Spinelli, 49, said outside Spinelli Jewelers in Belmont. "When somebody puts a gun to your head, things change. Believe me."

"Nobody wants to get shot," Spinelli added. "I don't go in in the morning thinking, 'Okay, I'm gonna shoot.' You go into survival mode."

Spinelli described his dramatic encounter as NYPD Commissioner Raymond Kelly said the gutsy jeweler won't face charges and local business owners hailed their new "neighborhood hero."

"This is Arthur Avenue. It's a tough neighborhood by name," said Tony Calandra from his family-owned Calandra's Cheese shop, describing the enclave known as the Little Italy of the Bronx.

"Everyone's proud of him. He did good. He makes the area get respect by the way he acted."

Spinelli transformed into a vigilante Wednesday afternoon after buzzing a well-dressed couple into his store.

As a third man in a button-down shirt and slacks paced outside, the female would-be bandit put a gun to Spinelli's head and demanded he open the safe.

"What am I gonna do now?" Spinelli recalled saying to himself at the time. "Am I going to see my family? It's my birthday in three months. Am I going to see my birthday?"

In a flash, Spinelli whipped out his licensed pistol and unloaded on the duo, who darted outside with a leather briefcase full of watches and jewelry.

The third man, Steven Hall, dashed after them - but he didn't get far.

An enraged Spinelli exploded out of his Arthur Ave. shop and plugged the suspected lookout in his left leg.

The pistol-packing jeweler then chased after Hall's uninjured partners, who dropped the briefcase and hopped into their gold Cadillac getaway car.

Before they tore off, the woman scurried back to pick up the case of loot, witnesses said.

Cops are hunting for two of the suspects.

Hall was taken to St. Barnabas Hospital, where he was arrested. The Bronx man, who has three prior arrests, refused to talk to investigators and was awaiting arraignment Thursday night, cops said.

Kelly said Hall and his pals chose the wrong place to rob.

"It was not a good location to pick," the city's top cop said, noting that Spinelli had one gun on him and another in a safe. "He was threatened with the use of deadly force and he responded."

The Lawspeaker
02-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Messing with wogs is never a good idea and it is usually a "once in a lifetime"-affair. If this shopkeeper could have some other ties in New York then these robbers are in real trouble.

The robbers were lucky they got away in one piece - maybe the next shopkeeper along the line will improve signor Spinelli's masterpiece.

Don
02-20-2011, 01:56 PM
http://blogs.abc.es/media/mafiosos24pj9.jpg

ikki
02-20-2011, 02:53 PM
that would be a WOP (without papers), not a WOG (westernised oriental gentleman).

The Lawspeaker
02-20-2011, 02:53 PM
that would be a WOP (without papers), not a WOG (westernised oriental gentleman).
No WOG also seems to be used as a slur for Southern Europeans.

Foxy
02-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Spinelli is a gyspie surname. :D He has not Italian but Romanì origins. :D You can move this thead under USA.
Without joking, Spinelli and Di Rocco are some of the most famous, large and prosperous Roma families of Italy.

Austin
02-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Thank god for firearms in the hands of citizens. Criminals will obtain firearms either way.

We need to mandate state-subsidised (edited for Civis's sanity) firearms to be delivered to small businesses free of charge.

The Lawspeaker
02-20-2011, 07:51 PM
state-subsidised

Yuck.. that's a dirty word in America. Man.. let the free market decide - you dirty commie !
Get back to bloody Russia !

O Argonauta
02-20-2011, 07:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0D78JtxmqI

Austin
02-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Yuck.. that's a dirty word in America. Man.. let the free market decide - you dirty commie !
Get back to bloody Russia !

Sorry I barely use the word, I'm not used to even typing it.

The Lawspeaker
02-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Sorry I barely use the word, I'm not used to even typing it.
Difference in spelling. :wink

Don
02-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Spinelli is a gyspie surname. :D He has not Italian but Romanì origins. :D You can move this thead under USA.

In that case we should remember and recover lost lessons and practices from our ancestors (involving our sick immunity system) by seeing these gypsies.

Bravo por ellos, que saben defender lo suyo sin vergüenza, complejo o quebranto.

Adalwolf
02-21-2011, 04:48 AM
Frankly, I am impressed with his quick reflexes in a situation like that. Think if you had a pistol pointed at your head, would you freeze up in shock, or be able to go on the offensive like this guy did.

Magister Eckhart
02-21-2011, 05:02 AM
Where are the Africans? I didn't see anything in the article about race and the only Negro in any pictures was a cop.

Also, the etymology of the name Spinelli isn't Gypsie, it's either Italian or southern French in provenance.

The Lawspeaker
02-21-2011, 05:17 AM
Also, the etymology of the name Spinelli isn't Gypsie, it's either Italian or southern French in provenance.
And I am sure that you being an American know better then a genuine Italian from Italy ?

Magister Eckhart
02-21-2011, 05:20 AM
And I am sure that you being an American know better then a genuine Italian from Italy ?

Considering the fact that I'm basing my knowledge on a dictionary of surnames compiled by a group of historians and not just some random anonymous person who claims to be from Italy on an internet forum, yes. I weigh a doubt against a certainty and I choose the certainty.

The Lawspeaker
02-21-2011, 05:31 AM
Considering the fact that I'm basing my knowledge on a dictionary of surnames compiled by a group of historians and not just some random anonymous person who claims to be from Italy on an internet forum, yes. I weigh a doubt against a certainty and I choose the certainty.
I think that a genuine Italian (I have seen her speak Italian on several occasions) is more informed about the issue then "a group of historians" (that are fallible) and a book you may have read while not speaking the language yourself and not being able to check and while being a 1000 miles way.

The thing is, my dear Wagnerian, that a person living there is always better informed then a clerk with a history degree (whatever that may mean these days anyways) let alone then a person living over a 1000 miles away that has shown in the past to be hopelessly uninformed about European affairs.

I'll put my money on the Italian.

SwordoftheVistula
02-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Where are the Africans? I didn't see anything in the article about race and the only Negro in any pictures was a cop.

They're committing low level armed robberies in the Bronx, and they don't have Latino names (Stephen Hall is the name of the one they caught). Also, they did not give any descriptions of the perps, which they always do when they are white.

Foxy
02-21-2011, 11:44 AM
In that case we should remember and recover lost lessons and practices from our ancestors (involving our sick immunity system) by seeing these gypsies.

Bravo por ellos, que saben defender lo suyo sin vergüenza, complejo o quebranto.

Lol, be very careful to offend Italians alive, especially southern Italians and Sardinians. I can tale you many stories about insults that finished with stabs, that's true, also between Italians, Italians and immigrants, Italians and gyspies, Italians abroad with other ethnic groups, etc. etc. It's a daily cronicle here.
And, of course, between husband and wife, especially in the countryside where people have nothing better to do.