PDA

View Full Version : The Chetniks

Mortimer
04-27-2012, 06:58 PM
I have this chetnik insignia on my hat yet i dont know who they really were and are, in which Party in Serbia are they embodied and what they stand for? Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks.:)

Virtuous
04-27-2012, 07:02 PM
I suggest google.

Mortimer
04-27-2012, 07:03 PM
I suggest google.

too much one sided stuff, from all the sides. some will claim this and some that, but everyone propagates his stuff.

Virtuous
04-27-2012, 07:06 PM
too much one sided stuff, from all the sides. some will claim this and some that, but everyone propagates his stuff.

Ask a Serbian:Heroes
Ask an Albanian:Villains
Ask me:Who are the Chetniks? :lol:

Mortimer
04-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Ask a Serbian:Heroes
Ask an Albanian:Villains
Ask me:Who are the Chetniks? :lol:

Well i dont mean if they are positive or negative to be categorized but rather who they really are and what kind of ideology they have. I mean various branches of serbian right or far right are generalized as chetniks sometimes even all serbs are generalized as chetniks, yet who are the chetniks really?

especially with focus on today, who are they today?

Varjacha
04-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Well i dont mean if they are positive or negative to be categorized but rather who they really are and what kind of ideology they have. I mean various branches of serbian right or far right are generalized as chetniks sometimes even all serbs are generalized as chetniks, yet who are the chetniks really?

especially with focus on today, who are they today?

brunette
04-28-2012, 09:02 PM
God love 'em.

Sorab
04-29-2012, 02:27 AM
IM if you are really interested theres plenty of material on the subject here
http://www.pogledi.rs/

rashka
04-29-2012, 02:48 AM
Long live the Chetniks. Serbian heroes forever and ever.

America's Veterans: The Serbian People Are Heroes!
Y5CXope9ncI

The Journeyman
04-29-2012, 03:54 AM
They are Royalists. They are Crusaders for the Serbian monarchy, Serbian Orthodoxy and greater Serbia.

Sorab
04-29-2012, 04:12 AM
mV_JmF7FLbI
dskuxRbhaNA

Mortimer
04-29-2012, 06:01 AM
IM if you are really interested theres plenty of material on the subject here
http://www.pogledi.rs/

thanks Sorab.

Mortimer
04-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Tribute to Chetniks

sKkym4NjLcQ

Mraz
04-29-2012, 03:10 PM
I guess you should vote for Vojislav Seselj and Srpska Radikalna Stranka.
Yes he is in jail and he has been reelected president of the party.

Minesweeper
04-29-2012, 03:34 PM
Now, I have mixed feeling about Chetniks. I respect some of them and some of the dukes, but dislike others. I also have rather negative opinion about Draza Mihailovic mainly because of his poor leadership, political incompetence and naivety. However, I do believe he had good intentions and what communists did to him after the war surely made a martyr of him.

Minesweeper
04-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Seselj is not sentenced, his trial is still in progress( for 9 years!!!), not to mention he has good chances of being released, if he does not suddenly die under ''suspicious'' circumstances like Milosevic. Therefore, he is still innocent.

Sorab
04-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Now, I have mixed feeling about Chetniks. I respect some of them and some of the dukes, but dislike others. I also have rather negative opinion about Draza Mihailovic mainly because of his poor leadership, political incompetence and naivety. However, I do believe he had good intentions and what communists did to him after the war surely made a martyr of him.
I share the same opinion .I think he was a soldier ,victim of turmoil Serbia happened to be in at the time .

Viljuska
05-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Draža Mihajlović was fucked over by the British in 1943.
After this the Chetnik movement had no chance, they were poorly armed/equipped compared to partisans.
The Secret War documentary explains how and why this happened.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51gNn6fsivL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Check episode 13 - The Aristocrat and the Balkan Communist.

Draža probably did what he could under the circumstances.

Миле
05-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Draža was a British pawn.Without Britain he would have been only a colonel and he wouldn't even form the Chetnik movement.

Viljuska
05-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Draža was a British pawn.Without Britain he would have been only a colonel and he wouldn't even form the Chetnik movement.They still skrewed him in 1943.

But probably yes. It's a fact that Hitler first offered Yugoslavia, and the British didn't like it.

Mortimer
04-18-2018, 05:48 AM
The chetniks have been originally anti-fascist fighters and had support from the allies. Later they side sometimes with nazis too. They have not been nazis but they have been greater serbian nationalists, and they did planned to attack non-serbs. Im not a chetnik eventhough I have a chetnik hat, but I also have lots of hats etc. a communist ushanka, a cowboy hat etc. Wanted to say my opinion. I dont hate them but they are not my idols.

O nesrpskom stanovništu
Vikicitati „Omeđiti ’de fakto’ srpske zemlje i učiniti da u njima ostane samo srpski živalj; posebno imati u vidu brzo i radikalno čišćenje gradova i njihovo popunjenje svežim srpskim elementom; izgraditi plan za čišćenje ili pomeranje seoskog stanovništva sa ciljem homogenosti srpske državne zajednice; u srpskoj jedinici kao naročito težak problem uzeti pitanje muslimana i po mogućnosti rešiti ga u ovoj fazi.[16]”

—Mihailovićev program izložen u depeši vladi u Londonu septembra 1941.
Vikicitati „Stvoriti neposredne zajedničke granice između Srbije i Crne Gore, kao i Srbije i Slovenačke čišćenjem Sandžaka od Muslimanskog življa i Bosne od Muslimanskog i Hrvatskog življa.[7]”

Vikicitati „Jednim delom snaga dejstvovati iz doline Lima pravcem: Bijelo Polje — Sjenica sa zadatkom očistiti Pešter od Muslimanskog i Arnautskog življa.[7]”

Vikicitati „Potrebno je još sad da se pripremi iseljavanje u Tursku ili ma gđe van naše teritorije. Na dan ustanka oni će svi biti pokrenuti sa svojih naselja a što niko neće moći sprečiti. — U danom momentu svi muslimani ima da budu pokrenuti sa svojih ognjišta. Oni koji su bliži hrvatskim oblastima tamo — glavno je da svi budu pokrenuti.[17][2]

About the non-Serb population
Vikicitats "Limit the de facto Serbian state and make only the Serbian people stay in them; especially to take into account the rapid and radical cleansing of cities and their fulfillment with fresh Serbian elements; to develop a plan for cleaning or moving the rural population with the goal of homogeneity of the Serbian state union; in the Serbian unit as a particularly difficult problem to take the issue of Muslims and possibly solve it at this stage. [16] "

-Mihailovic's program exposed to the deportation to the government in London in September 1941.
Vikicitats "Create immediate common borders between Serbia and Montenegro, as well as Serbia and the Slavic cleansing of Sandzak from the Muslims and Bosnia from the Muslim and Croat communities. [7]"

Victims "Part of the forces operate from the Lima valley: Bijelo Polje - Sjenica with the task of clearing Peshter from the Muslim and Arnautian people. [7]"

Vikticats "It is still necessary to prepare for the emigration to Turkey or anywhere outside our territory. On the day of the uprising, they will all be driven from their settlements, which no one will be able to prevent. - At the moment all Muslims will have to start from their hearth. Those who are closer to the Croatian areas there - the main thing is that everyone will be running. [17] [2] "

Moje ime
04-18-2018, 02:46 PM
Word Chetnik or Serbian "Četnik" is derived from Serbian word "četa" which means - military troop. Chetnik means member of Serbian "četa" or in English military troop.

First Chetniks movement in Serbia is from 19th century and it's goal was to protect Serbia from Ottomans who still had influence on Balkan. Movement was strong during Balkan wars. In that time, Chetnik movement was not being compromised in any way, it was honorable duty.

Quote:

"The Chetnik movement had its roots in the 19th-century Balkan liberation struggle against the Turks (Ottomans). The "Serbian Committee", made up of intelligentsia, businessmen and military officers, had initially funded small groups of brigands, either self-organized or part of the Bulgarian revolutionary organizations active in Macedonia (IMRO and SMAC), that were used to protect the Christian population from Ottoman atrocities and persecution."

In time between WW1 and WW2 Chetniks were associated with Monarchy and were it's biggest supporters.

Quote:

"The Chetnik movement also functioned as a civilian organization during the interwar period, initially as the "Chetnik Association for the Freedom and Honor of the Fatherland" (Udruženje Četnika za slobodu i čast Otadžbine), a Chetnik veteran organization formed in Belgrade in 1921. "

Between two wars Chetniks statement was "for King and Fatherland".

Yugoslavia (with Serbia as part of it) of that time was monarchy and had good relations with all Western European countries so the Chetniks of that time
had the same attitude about that.

When WW2 begins in 1941 year, new Chetnik organization is formed. Organisation was named "Ravnogorski pokret" or "Ravna gora movement" and was lead by General Draža Mihajlovic. This new WW2 Chetnik movement
actually was trying to keep Monarchy and right-wing ideology in Serbia but Communists with Partisans guerilla became their new enemy on that path.
That is the reason why these Chetniks occasionally collaborated with Axis members with goal
to fight Communists in first place as their natural enemies.

WW2 on Yugoslav area was a real mess sometimes and it is not really easy always to say who fight against who. But most tragic for Serbs is that during that war Chetnik Serbs were killing Communist Serbs.
Important thing to say is that Chetniks of WW2 were pro-Western Europe but Communists or Partisans were pro-SSSR.

After WW2 Chetniks were demonized and forgotten in new Communistic times that came but also because they really compromised their self in this war (especially by killing other Serbs) and obviously were on wrong side.

In Balkan wars of 90s Chetniks movement rises again, this time in stories of Serbian enemies as a synonym for Serbian nationalism. Also in Serbia there were few political leaders who supported Chetnik ideology and in war there were a Chetnik army group.

But one schizophrenic thing with 90s Chetniks is that they were pro - Russians instead of pro - Western as a real first Chetniks (Monarchists) were.

Conclusion is that Chetniks movement ideology was much changed as World policy was changing but the movement is also much compromised from WW2 period so today there is no serious politician who would support it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chetniks
https://sr.wikipedia.org/sr/%D0%A7%D0%B5%D1%82%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%86%D0%B8

Voskos
04-18-2018, 02:51 PM
So they did more harm than good to both Serbia and its ennemies.

Moje ime
04-18-2018, 02:51 PM

I won't judge about that.

Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas
04-18-2018, 03:05 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/88/61/79/886179aa890fe4da17fa24ccfc915fca.jpg

Chetnik = Great beard potential.

Voskos
04-18-2018, 03:11 PM
I won't judge about that.

they were royalists. royalists have been useless no matter which country they fought for.

Morlak
04-19-2018, 04:10 PM

The only problem with Chetniks is that they werent organized as much as communist partisans were. But they didn't harm Serbia and Serbs nearly as much as communist regime did in later years.

Dick
04-21-2018, 01:10 AM
Chetnik = Great beard potential.

they were hip before it was hip to be hip.

https://i.imgur.com/GIZtno4.jpg

The Illyrian Warrior
04-21-2018, 07:59 PM
To be honest their beard resembles hair of untamed pig, not cool, just plain disgusting.

Solar
04-24-2018, 12:38 PM
There is is not just one chetnik group, there were many different factions with different methods and objectives. Dinara Division of the great Momčilo Đujić worked together with Italian fascists as have other groups of well. One thing was binding all chetniks though; radical Serbian monarchism. They are not inherently 'anti-fascist' as they are inherently against the occupation of Serbian land. Mihajlović and Đujić for example have never even met.

There is also a difference between pre-ww2 chetniks and chetniks during ww2.

Solar
04-24-2018, 12:41 PM
To be honest their beard resembles hair of untamed pig, not cool, just plain disgusting.

Oh come on, you might hate Serbs but if you look at the picture above posted by Viriato, you see a greatly trimmed beard. That man is Momčilo Đujić by the way.

Beards were worn during times of war and it has often been said that they wore beards until the monarchy was restored.

Dragutin Keserović, Serbian Chetnik before the war:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b0/Dragutin_Keserovi%C4%87_photo.jpg

During the war:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/sr/7/7c/Dragutin_Keserovic.jpg

Solar
04-24-2018, 12:43 PM
They did not. Check out Dinara division. They protected a lot of Serbian villages from the Ustasha by working together with the Italians. This is just one example.

Papastratosels26
05-09-2019, 06:56 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/sr/7/7c/Dragutin_Keserovic.jpgBadass