PDA

View Full Version : 6.3 quake rocks New Zealand

Gaztelu
02-22-2011, 04:38 AM
6.3 quake rocks New Zealand city; at least 65 are dead

Widespread damage seen in central Christchurch in 2nd big hit in 5 months

21 February 2011, 21:35

WELLINGTON, New Zealand — A 6.3-magnitude earthquake Tuesday rocked the southern New Zealand city of Christchurch, collapsing buildings, cracking streets and causing multiple fatalities and serious injuries.
Prime Minister John Key said at least 65 had died as a result of the disaster.
Live video footage showed streets strewn with bricks and shattered concrete. Sidewalks and roads were cracked and split, and hundreds of dazed, screaming and crying residents wandered as sirens blared throughout the city. Bodies were being pulled from rubble. Water mains burst, causing extensive flooding.

"There have been fatalities," John Hamilton, the head of New Zealand's civil defense, told reporters. "We can't confirm the numbers yet, we'll leave that to the police process to go through."

New Zealand police said in a statement that there were reports of multiple deaths, including a report that two buses had been crushed by falling buildings. The police statement said there were other reports of fires burning.
Office worker Gary Moore said he and 19 other colleagues were trapped on the twelfth floor of their building after the stairwell collapsed in the quake. He did not know if people on other floors were trapped.

"We watched the cathedral collapse out our window while we were holding onto the walls," Moore said. "Every aftershock sends us rushing under the desks. It's very unnerving but we can clearly see there are other priorities out the window. There has been a lot of damage and I guess people are attending to that before they come and get us."

The multistory Pyne Gould Guinness Building, housing more than 200 workers, collapsed and an unknown number of people were trapped inside. Television pictures showed rescuers, many of them office workers, dragging severely injured people from the rubble. Many had blood streaming down their faces. Screams could be heard from those still trapped.

The epicenter of the quake was located in the "worst possible location" for city residents, New Zealand's GeoNet Center data manager Kevin Fenaughty told the New Zealand Herald.

Full Story: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41709359/?gt1=43001

Brynhild
02-22-2011, 04:55 AM
Poor buggers. They've bairly gotten over the last quake and aftershocks, along with the mine tragedy in Greymouth. My deepest sympathies...

Sahson
02-22-2011, 05:59 AM
No one has Kurt Campbell's whereabouts when the earthquake struck.

Treffie
02-22-2011, 09:00 AM
I'm thinking of Rainraven (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/member.php?u=256) at this moment in time.

The Lawspeaker
02-23-2011, 01:30 AM
I'm thinking of Rainraven (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/member.php?u=256) at this moment in time.
I have left her a quick message on her FB. I also had a quick chat with a friend who was in Christchurch just last week, two weeks ago. I didn't know that he had already left New Zealand again (thank God).

A grim update:

Christchurch quake: 75 dead

Rescuers have recovered and identified 55 bodies and are yet to identify a further 20 bodies from yesterday's earthquake in Christchurch.

Superintendent Dave Cliff said there were 55 bodies in a temporary morgue and 20 more were being taken there.

Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker said 300 people were also listed as missing.

"With those 300 missing people could just be someone called up saying so and so is missing - they may have just left town."

Announcing a national state of emergency had been declared, Prime Minister John Key said the whole country was grieving.

Mr Key said the lives lost were the "greatest loss".

"Buildings are just buildings, roads are just roads, but lives are irreplaceable."

He said the whole of New Zealand was with Canterbury.

"Today all New Zealand grieves for you Christchurch," he said.

But he said the city would recover.

"Though lost lives will never be replaced, and though your city will never look the same again, you will rebuild your city, you will rebuild your lives, you will overcome."

Mr Key said he was "very nervous" about speculating about the eventual death toll but with 75 dead and hundreds missing it was likely to rise.

Bodies in the streets

Police nightshift commander Superintendent Russell Gibson this morning told Radio New Zealand there were scenes of "absolute carnage" in the centre of Christchurch.

"There are bodies littering the streets, they're trapped in cars, crushed under rubble, and where they are clearly deceased our focus unfortunately at this time has turned to the living," he said.

Hundreds of rescue workers had been working through the night systematically going door to door checking for survivors, Mr Gibson said.

A board member from the Crusaders was one of the people killed in the earthquake, chief executive Hamish Riach has revealed.

The Press reported that a woman with a baby in her arms died instantly when she was hit by falling debris in the earthquake. It was not known how badly hurt the baby was. Newstalk ZB said another baby was killed when a television fell on him.

St John Ambulance said two people were killed when hit by falling rocks while walking the Lyttelton's Crater Rim Track. They were believed to be the only victims from the Lyttelton area, which was severely damaged.

Defence Force

The Air Force has been helping to evacuate people from Christchurch.

A Royal New Zealand Air Force C-130 Hercules aircraft evacuated people from Christchurch to Wellington this morning, and a second will follow, the Defence Force said.

It said staff had been preparing for a large exercise in the region and were now instead helping with the rescue effort.

"Medical teams are working with local health officials and soldiers are manning cordons around the city. Army ambulances and personnel are assisting with various search and rescue tasks throughout the city," it said in a statement.

It said military staff from Singapore and Australia were also helping.

An Australian Defence Force C-130 aircraft has brought in the first group of Australian search and rescue staff.

"Soldiers from the Singapore Armed Forces are also providing personnel to man the cordons in the city."

Infrastructure

Civil Defence said welfare centres had been busy overnight as had hospitals and medical facilities.

About 950 people spent the night at two welfare centres, at Hagley Park and Burnside High School, where blankets, food, sanitation were supplied.

Social Development Minister Paula Bennett says more welfare centres would be opened once buildings are declared safe to use.

"The advice is to stay at home if people can and to check on their neighbours and if they need any help or advice, call the Government helpline," says Ms Bennett.

The 0800 779997 helpline will operate 24 hours, providing information, advice and transferring calls through to other appropriate agencies.

"Financial assistance will also be made available to those who need it, we have the ability to provide Civil Defence emergency payments and other assistance is available," Ms Bennett said.

Telecommunications were patchy and many residents did not have drinking water.

Roger Sutton, CEO of Orion Power, said half the city was still without power but he hoped that by the end of today that 70-80 percent of the city would be back online.

Bob Parker told Breakfast at least six schools would be used as water distribution centres. Water tankers would be sent to them today for people to collect water from. The schools were Lyttelton, Redcliffs, South New Brighton, Shirley, Wainoni and Phillipstown. Steps were also under way to get food supplies in.

Mayor Parker urged people to stay at home, saying the city was effectively "closed" for at least the next three days.

He said portable toilets were being brought into the city to help ease the impact of waste water.

People with minor injuries were advised to go to smaller medical centres around the city rather than Christchurch Hospital, he said.

Christchurch Airport reopened for domestic flights this morning and it is expected the backlog will be cleared by the end of the day.

Christchurch International Airport will reopen for international flights this afternoon, with the first arrival expected at 3.20pm.

Check-in counters opened at midday, but airport chief executive Jim Boult said people should not come out to the airport unless they had a confirmed booking on an international flight.

Meanwhile, aftershocks have continued to hit Christchurch. GNS Science reported that the latest was a magnitude 3.1 earthquake at 1.07pm, centred within 5km of Lyttelton.

Information about what's been damaged in the aftermath of the magnitude 6.3 earthquake and where people can get help. (http://maps.google.co.nz/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=205972314722231895961.00049cd3bc095df8c4355&ll=-43.516689,172.629547&spn=0.348556,0.583649&z=10&source=embed)

More information regarding present seismic activity on Geonet New Zealand. (http://www.geonet.org.nz/)

National Geographic article containing various pictures of the unfolding disaster. (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/02/pictures/110222-earthquake-in-new-zealand-pictures-christchurch-world/?source=link_fb20110222nzquake)

Source: New Zealand Herald (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10708192) (23 February 2011)

Piparskeggr
02-23-2011, 01:33 AM
I do not know if I know any New Zealanders, but my sympathy...

Graham
02-23-2011, 01:35 AM
I feel for them. looks like a warzone. I hope we can send help in some way, to our friends New Zealand.

The Lawspeaker
02-23-2011, 01:35 AM
I do not know if I know any New Zealanders, but my sympathy...
You know Rainraven..

Tolleson
02-23-2011, 01:37 AM
You know Rainraven..

I hope that kooky chick is OK! :thumb001:

Piparskeggr
02-23-2011, 01:38 AM
You know Rainraven..

Thanks, I will have to search and see if Rainraven was someone whose posts I read.

The Lawspeaker
02-23-2011, 01:40 AM
I hope that kooky chick is OK! :thumb001:
She should be. I checked her position and both her native town and the place where she studies are hundreds of miles away from the disaster area. However when she travels she has to get through Christchurch but the chances that she was there at that moment in time was small.

Gaztelu
02-23-2011, 02:40 AM
I feel for the Aussies and the New Zealanders, since they've had to deal with floods, earthquakes, and mine collapses over the past several months.

Rainraven
02-23-2011, 06:59 AM
Hey guys, not to worry I'm doing fine :)

I was in Dunedin when the earthquake struck which is about 300km away and still felt it. Doesn't help that I live second floor of a dodgy old house, other friends in sturdier flats said they barely felt it at all.

None of my friends or family in the area were hurt so I'm thankful for that, but still shocked at the devastation in Christchurch.

Thanks for all your sympathy and concern, the worldwide support has been incredible :)

Jack B
02-23-2011, 07:52 AM
Terrible situation, 2 Irish among the dead too apparently.

AussieScott
02-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Heart goes out to all the brothers and sisters in NZ, it's been a ruff year down under.

Smaland
02-24-2011, 02:12 PM
Will pray for you today.

Gaztelu
02-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Someone should post pictures or videos of the situation over there.