PDA

View Full Version : Who does the best DNA testing?

KMack
04-22-2018, 07:41 PM
My Mom called and told me my Niece got her results back. 71% English/British and the rest Iberian.
I am really surprised. I will get her to text me results.

StonyArabia
04-22-2018, 07:44 PM
My Mom called and told me my Niece got her results back. 71% English/British and the rest Iberian.
I am really surprised. I will get her to text me results.

AncestryDNA is good but only gives autosomal I think not the Y and mtDNA.
23andme is also good and gives whole picture
FTDNA is expensive and you have to the test separately

I would go with 23andme and just upload it and send the rawdata to McDonalds.

Btw the Iberian is not strange for a White American, since the Spanish presence has been well noted in U.S. Though it depends on what region, even Montana had the Spanish exploring it.

Aren
04-22-2018, 07:45 PM
Fuck 23andme if you wana try to upload your raw data to Gedmatch. Ancestry, Myheritage and FTDNA are equally decent more or less.

AK-47
04-22-2018, 07:55 PM
IDK.
I used 23andme and pissed away 100 bucks in change.
All just BS, really.
Most of the ancestry there is lighting up from about only 3 hundred years.
That is horseshit, and I know it.
The core Ashkenazi ethnic group was likely created about 2 millennium ago, give or take a couple hundred years.
Our maternal lines are what you call today "northern Italian."
I'm loaded to the gills with Northern Italian ancestry, but I score pretty much ZERO on 23andMe.
Oh I got it, I'm "Ashkenazi" and need to feed raw data to GEDmatch to get the real lowdown.
Still bullshit to say on 23andMe I'm zero Italian, when that is so far from the truth.

happycow
04-22-2018, 08:00 PM
Fuck 23andme if you wana try to upload your raw data to Gedmatch. Ancestry, Myheritage and FTDNA are equally decent more or less.

23andme does not work on gedmatch?

AK-47
04-22-2018, 08:03 PM
23andme does not work on gedmatch?
No offense bro, but I covered that in my post.

Oh I got it, I'm "Ashkenazi" and need to feed raw data to GEDmatch to get the real lowdown.
Still bullshit to say on 23andMe I'm zero Italian, when that is so far from the truth.

I want comprehensive ethnic breakdowns on 23andMe.
They don't give you that at all.
Not even close.

happycow
04-22-2018, 08:09 PM
No offense bro, but I covered that in my post.

I want comprehensive ethnic breakdowns on 23andMe.
They don't give you that at all.
Not even close.

Well I was asking because I wanted to upload the raw data to gedmatch anyway. I did so for ancestry and the 23andme results should be ready soon and want to see if there is any difference in gedmatch.

Bobby Martnen
04-22-2018, 08:10 PM
AncestryDNA is good but only gives autosomal I think not the Y and mtDNA.
23andme is also good and gives whole picture
FTDNA is expensive and you have to the test separately

I would go with 23andme and just upload it and send the rawdata to McDonalds.

Btw the Iberian is not strange for a White American, since the Spanish presence has been well noted in U.S. Though it depends on what region, even Montana had the Spanish exploring it.

The vast majority of White Americans have no Spanish heritage. Iberian is far more likely to be Portuguese, or even from French heritage.

Bobby Martnen
04-22-2018, 08:12 PM
IDK.
I used 23andme and pissed away 100 bucks in change.
All just BS, really.
Most of the ancestry there is lighting up from about only 3 hundred years.
That is horseshit, and I know it.
The core Ashkenazi ethnic group was likely created about 2 millennium ago, give or take a couple hundred years.
Our maternal lines are what you call today "northern Italian."
I'm loaded to the gills with Northern Italian ancestry, but I score pretty much ZERO on 23andMe.

Ashkenazi are their own group in every commercial test, not just 23and me.

Regardless of what DNA test you buy, uploading to GEDmatch is the best option.

KMack
04-22-2018, 08:16 PM
She used myheritage, 71% English, 20% NW European, 9% Iberian. No Irish, Scottish, Welsh. Jesus Christ I thought we were Irish. I am going to do a DNA test.

Bobby Martnen
04-22-2018, 08:18 PM
She used myheritage, 71% English, 20% NW European, 9% Iberian. No Irish, Scottish, Welsh. Jesus Christ I thought we were Irish. I am going to do a DNA test.

Use 23andme so you can also get haplogroups.

Norb
04-28-2018, 11:48 AM
have you ordered your test yet?

Grace O'Malley
04-29-2018, 12:27 PM

MyHeritage is new and while it might get better it is not great at the moment. 23andMe will give you autosomal as well as ydna and mtdna but unfortunately their V5 chip is not compatible with Gedmatch but you can upload the V5 23andMe to Gedmatch Genesis which gives odd results. I'd most likely go with Ancestry so that you can upload to Gedmatch and then upload to Wegene to get your mtdna and ydna. Ancestry will also give you your Genetic Communities and is presently updating so that they have more regions.

Also your mixed Irish and German might come out more English on MyHeritage.

KMack
04-29-2018, 12:42 PM
have you ordered your test yet?

Me no.

Jana
04-29-2018, 12:49 PM
For American I reccomend 23andme.