PDA

View Full Version : Get off Facebook and get a life

Skandi
02-21-2009, 10:36 PM
A psychologist is urging people to get off Facebook and other social networking sites, and get a life instead.

Dr Aric Sigman says the amount of time we spend with each other has slumped dramatically and in turn is damaging our health.

He says our devotion to such sites could alter the way genes work, upset immune responses, hormone levels, and the function of arteries, and influence mental performance.

Levels of hormones such as the "cuddle chemical" oxytocin, which promotes bonding, altered according to whether people were in close contact or not.

This could increase the risk of health problems as serious as cancer, strokes, heart disease, and dementia.

Dr Sigman spells out his warning in the latest issue of Biologist, the journal of the Institute of Biology, and maintains that social networking sites have played a significant role in people becoming more isolated.

He said: "Social networking is the internet's biggest growth area, particular among young children

And off here?????

Beorn
02-21-2009, 11:07 PM
And off here?????

No. We were already isolated before we came on here. :)

"Dr Sigman spells out his warning in the latest issue of Biologist, the journal of the Institute of Biology, and maintains that social networking sites have played a significant role in people becoming more isolated."

Jamt
02-21-2009, 11:21 PM
That’s the truth.
We all need more kitchen-gardening and hens-keeping to stay all right.
And everybody needs to live in the woods.

Lady L
02-21-2009, 11:33 PM
That’s the truth.

:thumb001: I was just saying earlier today how wouldn't it be nice of instead hearing from Susan Orman that if you have money " to go out and spend it...go out and eat every night " of course I see her point in wanting to get the economy going. And, wouldn't it be better if instead of food stamps and all this help offered if what was offered was more along the lines of a piece of land for everyone and help providing plants and seeds and materials for growing our on food. Setting up a way for Americans to survive even in tough times instead of depending on someone else fishing for us...us fishing ourselves...:thumbs up And of course that goes hand in hand for living in the woods...awwwwwww to dream':vote_yes:

SwordoftheVistula
02-22-2009, 02:39 PM
The good jewish doctor is disappointed-now that our 'communities' are 'diverse', we no longer have anything in common with our neighbors, and therefore have no desire to associate with them!

Also, society is becoming more complex in general, as the number of different interests, hobbies, and subcultures increases, so decreases the chances of encountering a person with similar interests by chance meeting on the street.

Gooding
02-22-2009, 05:58 PM
The good jewish doctor is disappointed-now that our 'communities' are 'diverse', we no longer have anything in common with our neighbors, and therefore have no desire to associate with them!

Also, society is becoming more complex in general, as the number of different interests, hobbies, and subcultures increases, so decreases the chances of encountering a person with similar interests by chance meeting on the street.

They did ask for it, though.All this "diversity" has (ironically) contributed to a backlash involving more of a tribalistic mentality among everyone, including Americans of European descent.LOL, the last people that they would want to become tribalist has hit that stage :D.

Mikey
02-22-2009, 09:06 PM
That’s the truth.
I am doing my part, here is my "back yard";:D

MarcvSS
02-22-2009, 09:12 PM
I don't want to get a life goddamned!!!!

Does this guy actually have a life of his own? One wonders...

HawkR
02-22-2009, 11:44 PM
Ohh... The famous World of Warcraft critism:) I just love to hear people say stuff like this. This fellow here is prejudgemental that he would pay all of his antention to the first impression. And why can't Facebook users have a life? Are we all so into facebook that we're totally isolated? And us facebook users here? Both Apricity(+ other forums) AND facebook!!! Oh, our poor souls, will they ever be saved or is there need for an excorsism?

Beorn
02-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Perhaps the title should be: Get off Facebook and save your privacy.

Does what happens in the Facebook stay in the Facebook? (http://www.albumoftheday.com/facebook/)