PDA

View Full Version : Are some populations genetically healthier than others?

Peterski
04-23-2018, 06:03 PM
I wonder how big are differences in rates of genetic (congenital etc.) disorders and people on disability by country or ethnicity? I could not find such data anywhere. People disabled due to environmental factors (accidents etc.) should not be included in comparison.

TeutonicBoyars
04-24-2018, 02:59 PM
What do you mean by 'healthy'? Do you mean people with cognitive/physical disabilities such as downs syndrome, or groups of people with better immune systems? I don't think there are any statistics for either, but for the former I do know countries that soft-practice eugenics like Iceland will probably have the least amount of people per capita who are born with cognitive disorders. If it's the latter then I believe I read somewhere that it's mostly hereditary and environmental. For example, Africans have thicker skin which makes it harder for bacteria to infiltrate their blood stream, but Europeans as a whole have a better immune system due to historical contact with numerous diseases and bacteria.

Not a Cop
04-25-2018, 03:47 PM
Ofcourse, some population suffer from certain diseseases more than other.

Oneeye
04-25-2018, 03:52 PM
What do you mean by 'healthy'? Do you mean people with cognitive/physical disabilities such as downs syndrome, or groups of people with better immune systems? I don't think there are any statistics for either, but for the former I do know countries that soft-practice eugenics like Iceland will probably have the least amount of people per capita who are born with cognitive disorders. If it's the latter then I believe I read somewhere that it's mostly hereditary and environmental. For example, Africans have thicker skin which makes it harder for bacteria to infiltrate their blood stream, but Europeans as a whole have a better immune system due to historical contact with numerous diseases and bacteria.

A bottle necked population is more likely to have genetic diseases prevalent. Iceland would have taken such measures because it has been an issue.

Mens-Sarda
04-25-2018, 04:24 PM
A bottle necked population is more likely to have genetic diseases prevalent. Iceland would have taken such measures because it has been an issue.

Not necessarily; Sardinians are genetically isolated, but we live more than others and healthier than "continentals", Sardinia is often studied by geneticists to discover the secret of our longevity, it's very common for Sardinians to reach 100 years or more still in good health, still able to walk without help and with healthy mind. The oldest Sardinian documented, even awarded by the Guinnes Book of Records was 113 years old, he died in 2002. Some weeks ago I've read an article about a 105 years old woman who lives in Ogliastra, an isolated region of south-eastern Sardinia, speaking with the journalist she complained about her son who is 80 years old, because he had forbidden her to climb on the tree in their garden to gather nuts!

Oneeye
04-25-2018, 05:02 PM
Not necessarily; Sardinians are genetically isolated, but we live more than others and healthier than "continentals", Sardinia is often studied by geneticists to discover the secret of our longevity, it's very common for Sardinians to reach 100 years or more still in good health, still able to walk without help and with healthy mind. The oldest Sardinian documented, even awarded by the Guinnes Book of Records was 113 years old, he died in 2002. Some weeks ago I've read an article about a 105 years old woman who lives in Ogliastra, an isolated region of south-eastern Sardinia, speaking with the journalist she complained about her son who is 80 years old, because he had forbidden her to climb on the tree in their garden to gather nuts!

I said nothing of longevity nor overall healthy living, but of bottle neck populations having higher rates of genetic diseases. And I am right on this. Here, read .

For the study, researcherscombed through genetic data from people livingon Sardinia, an Italian island. Although people therearefamousfor their longevity, the population also has some of the world's highest rates of multiple sclerosis and lupus.

https://www.livescience.com/58860-sardinia-mutation-fights-malaria-but-raises-autoimmune-disease-risk.html

Petalpusher
04-28-2018, 01:32 PM
The more inbred and bottlenecked, the more diseases, as they keep not being selected against.

Why are genetic disorders common in the Arab world?

Available data suggest that genetic and congenital disorders are more common in Arab countries than in industrialised countries; recessively inherited disorders account for a substantial proportion of physical and mental handicap.

High consanguinity rates—25-60% of all marriages are consanguineous, and the rate of first cousin marriages is high (figs 1 and 2; table A on bmj.com).4 w1 In addition, isolated subpopulations with a high level of inbreeding exist. Furthermore, in many parts of the Arab world the society is still tribal

https://www.bmj.com/content/333/7573/831

https://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/333/7573/831/F2.large.jpg

Teucer
04-28-2018, 02:27 PM

Amazing

Hylates
04-28-2018, 04:18 PM

I think Islanders in general are blessed with long lives . A Cypriot from my place lived 127 years . Born in 1834 and died in the early 60's . They took him an interview in 1957-58 . At his 124 years of existence . 74817 74818

Bobby Martnen
09-17-2018, 06:35 AM
DIS THREAD BE RACCIS

Y U SO RACCIS, UNCLE PETE?