PDA

View Full Version : Fact: There were virtually no Asians in the USA before the 1970s

1R0N M4N XL
04-26-2018, 03:13 PM
I want to settle this question of when Asians arrived in the USA because I always hear black Americans say nonsense like, "Asians have been in the USA since the 1800s". This is easily verifiable as untrue. Thanks to @Wenzel Dashington for making me look further into this issue. Anyway, to the point, statistics imply Asians barely existed in the USA in 1970, let alone the 1800s:

Historical racial and ethnic demographics of the United States - Wikipedia

If you look at the "Asian and Pacific Islander" US population in 1970, the total number was 1.5 million souls. And the vast majority of those people were Pacific Islanders. So there were very, very few Asians in the USA before the 1970s. The millions upon millions of Asians you see in the USA today only just arrived like a decade ago, maybe even less than that time.

As further supplementation that Asians like the Chinese basically all come from recent immigration around 1970 (I was not far off in saying Asians came about 25 years ago), the book Race, Ethnicity and Place by John W. Frazier agrees with me and the above statistics:

http://i.imgur.com/FulBhy6.png
In 1960, Frazier below quotes that there were only 3000 Filipinos in all the United States. By 1974 there were 210,000 Filipinos in the United States. That's an exponential increase explainable only by massive immigration. The trend exists for Chinese people. Basically Asians like Filipino, Chinese people only started existing in the United States from the 1970s onward:

http://i.imgur.com/iugn9V6.png

Timawa
04-27-2018, 02:38 AM
Chinese workers immigrated to California in the 19th century, employing for a railroad company.

Chinese migration to the United States picked up during the mid-19th century, when primarily male manual laborers arrived in the West Coast for agricultural, mining, railroad construction, and other low-skilled jobs. In 1882, the Chinese Exclusion Act, a political response to virulent anti-Chinese public attitudes and pressures from labor unions, severely limited future immigration of Chinese workers and barred Chinese residents from obtaining U.S. citizenship. Though the law was repealed in 1943, few mainland Chinese could immigrate due to other restrictions placed on non-European immigration in the 1920s.

Source:https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/chinese-immigrants-united-states

So there were Asians living before and after the 1965 Immigration Law.

Taiguaitiaoghyrmmumin
04-27-2018, 03:00 AM
They were in california. And later spread to other areas like chicago.

Carlito's Way
04-27-2018, 03:07 AM
i thought there was some during the colonial days when they were used as slaves especially in places like Louisiana and other southern areas

1R0N M4N XL
04-27-2018, 03:31 AM
Chinese workers immigrated to California in the 19th century, employing for a railroad company.

Source:https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/chinese-immigrants-united-states

So there were Asians living before and after the 1965 Immigration Law.

Chinese exclusion act... Chinese got sent back.. remember the yellow peril threat. theres a difference with 1,000 , 100,000 and 1-4 million..
the chinese population was very very low at that time.. almost non-existent after they got sent back.

They were in california. And later spread to other areas like chicago.

filipino settlers to California to lousiana was under Spanish at that time... it wasn't Anglo-American territory yet...

i thought there was some during the colonial days when they were used as slaves especially in places like Louisiana and other southern areas

yes.. but the numbers were small.. Philippines became a American territory in the 19 century.. Filipinos were not part of the oriental exclusion act.. Philippines choose independence instead of being another guam, Hawaii, puerto rico, alaska., so the U.S president revolted the citizenship promised for 250,000+ filipino soldiers who fought for America in ww2..

the Filipinos that came in California to Louisiana was on 15-16 century was under spain, not Anglo-American... so it didnt count under the U.S census/ or U.S history..

it was just recently when filipino-american asked the US government to recognize it as american history..

Timawa
04-30-2018, 01:59 AM
Chinese exclusion act... Chinese got sent back.. remember the yellow peril threat. theres a difference with 1,000 , 100,000 and 1-4 million..
the chinese population was very very low at that time.. almost non-existent after they got sent back.

filipino settlers to California to lousiana was under Spanish at that time... it wasn't Anglo-American territory yet...

yes.. but the numbers were small.. Philippines became a American territory in the 19 century.. Filipinos were not part of the oriental exclusion act.. Philippines choose independence instead of being another guam, Hawaii, puerto rico, alaska., so the U.S president revolted the citizenship promised for 250,000+ filipino soldiers who fought for America in ww2..

the Filipinos that came in California to Louisiana was on 15-16 century was under spain, not Anglo-American... so it didnt count under the U.S census/ or U.S history..

it was just recently when filipino-american asked the US government to recognize it as american history..

San Fransisco Chinatown was established before 1965 Immigration Act. Thus, a small numbers of Chinese residents lived in Bay area for some generations.

In 1848, the first Chinese immigrants, two men and one woman, arrived in San Francisco on the American sailing vessel, Eagle.

The long history of San Francisco’s Chinatown has been clouded with racism, hatred, and repression. From the Gold Rush through the 1870s, a large migration of mostly single male laborers came to San Francisco and the American West, as well as to Canada and Peru. With the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882, the nation's first racially restrictive immigration measure, the Chinese American population fell from 26,000 in 1881 to 11,000 in 1920.

Between 1852 and 1882, many prodominantly male Chinese laborers and a few merchants and labor brokers came to San Francisco. Floods in China propelled a virtual diaspora of Cantonese-dialect-speaking people all around the Pacific Basin. It has been estimated that 2.5 million people emigrated from China between 1840 and 1900. Of 153 pieces of property in Chinatown in 1873, only 10 were Chinese owned. All the rest were leased from Anglo-Americans, Franco-Americans, Italian Americans, and German Americans.

Source: http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h2715.html

1R0N M4N XL
04-30-2018, 08:08 PM
San Fransisco Chinatown was established before 1965 Immigration Act. Thus, a small numbers of Chinese residents lived in Bay area for some generations.

Source: http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h2715.html

In 1848, the first Chinese immigrants, two men and one woman, arrived in San Francisco on the American sailing vessel, Eagle.

The long history of San Francisco’s Chinatown has been clouded with racism, hatred, and repression. From the Gold Rush through the 1870s, a large migration of mostly single male laborers came to San Francisco and the American West, as well as to Canada and Peru. With the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882, the nation's first racially restrictive immigration measure, the Chinese American population fell from 26,000 in 1881 to 11,000 in 1920.

the Chinese American population fell from 26,000 in 1881 to 11,000 in 1920. <--- case closed.. you just proved my point..

it was 1965 law that open the gate for 4 million Chinese... ( the irony is black-americans & north east Asians dont get along).. it was black-americans who marched for civil rights that lead to 1965 law.

and for the record Filipinos should not be lumped together with north east Asians..