PDA

View Full Version : ‘Imbecile’ won’t face charges for burning Acadian flag

Grumpy Cat
02-24-2011, 12:52 AM
There are imbeciles among us.

One of them who lives in Shelburne County is expected to be banned by Nova Scotia Junior C Hockey League executives from all provincial junior C hockey games after he torched an Acadian flag Friday to taunt fans of the Clare Lions.

"There’s no investigation. There’s no complaint," Cpl. Chris Thibedeau of Meteghan RCMP said Tuesday.

"There’s always imbeciles in the crowd. We’re dealing with imbeciles that did something stupid because they are stupid."

But many people are nonetheless distraught by the display of ignorance.

"We had a couple of calls from people that were upset about it, (asking) if we knew," said Thibedeau.

"They just wanted to make sure it was not . . . a hate crime against Acadians."

It was not, the RCMP contend. It was sheer stupidity, they say.

"We’re dealing with two rival sports teams," said Thibedeau, "One is happy, the other one is not happy."

That is probably because Clare walloped Barrington 6-2, knocking the Ice Dogs out of the playoffs.

The Ice Dogs are from western Shelburne County. The Lions are from the Acadian district of Clare in Digby County.

Clare hosted the playoff game Friday at the Universite Sainte-Anne rink in Church Point.

The flag-burning is not a hate crime, said Thibedeau.

It is property damage, he said.

"If they bought the flag themselves and they burnt it, then there’s no property damage."

If they had stolen the flag from somebody and had burned it, then theft and destruction of property charges would have resulted, he said.

Anna D’Alessio was handing out Acadian flags to use in some photos she was shooting during the game.

When she passed by a side of the rink where Barrington fans sat, she said, "this one chap asked me for a flag . . . I said sure."

She later learned that the flag had been burned.

But since police don’t have an official complaint, they are not looking into the matter further.

The teams, however, see things differently.

"They seem to have an idea of who the culprit was," said Francis Robichaud, general manager of the Lions.

"And we have full intention of having him barred from our arena and the Barrington arena as well. And the league is going to be barring him from all arenas (of) our member teams in the province."

Robichaud saw the remains of the flag after the incident in question.

"It seems like he went outside and then came back inside and started taunting the fans with it."

This was definitely over the line, he said.

Felton Atkinson, president of the Ice Dogs, said his team’s executive will likely go along with banishing the flag-burner from future games.

"We’ve pretty much pinpointed it to one person," said Atkinson.

Several Acadian players from the Pubnico area have played for Barrington, said Atkinson, who characterized the flag incident as very unfortunate and isolated.

--------------------------------------

http://thechronicleherald.ca/NovaScotia/1229632.html

I bet if this asshole burned an Israeli flag or something important to any other ethnic group, the judge and legal system would throw the book at him. :mad:

StonyArabia
02-24-2011, 04:35 PM
I bet if this asshole burned an Israeli flag or something important to any other ethnic group, the judge and legal system would throw the book at him. :mad:

Of course anything that pertains to Israel is hold as scared. You can't even have a rational discussion about Israel. There was protest a while go and they made it specific not to burn the Israeli flags, but other flags were a fair game. If you burn the Israeli flag you are anti-Semitic, but if your burn other flags oh well don't sweat it. Pretty sicking how Israel is treated above other nations.

Eldritch
02-24-2011, 09:54 PM
We’re dealing with imbeciles that did something stupid because they are stupid.

I think this is very well said, despite the tautology. People are too often preoccupied with finding "deeper" motives and reasons for people's actions, that often just aren't there.

What could be deeper than stupidity anyway? And why do some behave like idiots? Because they ARE idiots. Behaving like an idiot is what makes you into an idiot.

Germanicus
02-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Of course anything that pertains to Israel is hold as scared. You can't even have a rational discussion about Israel. There was protest a while go and they made it specific not to burn the Israeli flags, but other flags were a fair game. If you burn the Israeli flag you are anti-Semitic, but if your burn other flags oh well don't sweat it. Pretty sicking how Israel is treated above other nations.

There is a good argument for this; The Nazis killed more than 6 million jews, since then, most of the world has been plotting to wipe them from the face of the Earth.

Grumpy Cat
02-24-2011, 11:11 PM
I think this is very well said, despite the tautology. People are too often preoccupied with finding "deeper" motives and reasons for people's actions, that often just aren't there.

What could be deeper than stupidity anyway? And why do some behave like idiots? Because they ARE idiots. Behaving like an idiot is what makes you into an idiot.

I disagree. This person wanted to instigate a fight and outrage and did it by attacking an ethnicity. I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of it. If he provoked any other ethnicity he would be branded a "racist" and the judge would throw the book at him but because it was Acadians he's just "stupid". Come on now. Is it because we're of European descent and Christian? I think so.

Acadians have been treated like other minority groups in the past, but civil rights advanced for all the rest, however not for us it's still acceptable to degrade us - the left treat us like crap because we preserve our culture so we are racist, the right treats us like crap because we are not the status quo - can't win.

Eldritch
02-24-2011, 11:27 PM
I disagree. This person wanted to instigate a fight and outrage and did it by attacking an ethnicity. I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of it. If he provoked any other ethnicity he would be branded a "racist" and the judge would throw the book at him but because it was Acadians he's just "stupid". Come on now. Is it because we're of European descent and Christian? I think so.

I understand that he burned the flag as a deliberate provocation -- which is exactly why he is an imbecile and an idiot, because only people who fit that description do things like that. Imo that should be the standard reaction.

If someone burned the flag of some victim-status group, such as the Israeli flag like you mentioned, he definitely would get called "Nazi", "anti-Semite", "racist", whatever, but that would be entirely beside the point: the only thing he'd need to be referred to is as an asshole and a moron.

Grumpy Cat
02-24-2011, 11:31 PM
Well, yes, and I guess we Acadians are too proud to play the victim card to get our way. Maybe we're stupid for doing that?

Still, when leftists make excuses for other groups who were persecuted in the past, you can point out that the Acadians were treated just as badly and face just as much discrimination yet we still got our shit together.

Eldritch
02-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Well, yes, and I guess we Acadians are too proud to play the victim card to get our way. Maybe we're stupid for doing that?

On the contrary, it's a very wise and dignified attitude. Adopting a whiny permanent victim mentality is one of the strongest guarantees that your group will be forever left behind and stuck in the mud, and that others will never regard as full human beings but rather as tolerance objects, at best. I won't point to any real-life examples, because I'm sure you can think of a few easily.

There are very few groups of people who haven't been done hard by someone, somewhere, sometime. But not being able to put it behind you eventually will become a serious hindrance. And btw, by "putting it behind you", I don't mean forgetting it, or pretending it didn't happen.

Bloodeagle
02-25-2011, 01:44 AM
I want to know if this idiot and his supporters were met by an angry Acadian mob, post game, or did the police come to his aid and whisk him off to jail?

I mean to say that it sounds rather stupid to insult and harass an entire ethnic group at a hockey game. ;)
I guess Canadians aren't the docile guys to the north, that they are made out to be, in Zogerican media. :)

Grumpy Cat
02-25-2011, 03:15 AM
I want to know if this idiot and his supporters were met by an angry Acadian mob, post game, or did the police come to his aid and whisk him off to jail?

I mean to say that it sounds rather stupid to insult and harass an entire ethnic group at a hockey game. ;)
I guess Canadians aren't the docile guys to the north, that they are made out to be, in Zogerican media. :)

Cops got him out of there pretty quick, but Acadians on Facebook were fuming. I had to tell some people to be careful because they were talking about burning peoples' houses down... and if that really happened cops might be looking to Facebook for evidence.

You should watch what you say on the Internet, it can bite you in the ass in the real world.