PDA

View Full Version : What does your name(s) mean?

Marinus
04-27-2018, 09:16 PM
I'm very interested in the etymology of given names, either personal, family's or place names. You don't need to reveal your real name, obviously, just what it means in your language and even other languages and where it originated if you know.

My first name is either of Goidelic, Anglo-Saxon or North-Germanic origin.

The Irish Gaelic meaning translates to one that loves deers. This was brought over by the Vikings to the Emerald Isle of Ireland.

The Old English meaning is the spear of God. Brought over by the Anglo-Saxons, this name is fairly popular in the Nordic countires, and is not obscured in the Latin cultures either.

When I was born, naming me was quite the endeavour, the name had to make sense and be pronounceable in three different languages, two of which roughly agreed with eachother - Castilian & Portuguese - and then English...

The name was rather successful in its goal though, I'm very happy with it and just about everybody can pronounce it!

My family names though are another story...

So what does your name mean? Where did it come from?

Catarinense1998
04-27-2018, 09:22 PM
I have a Double name.The first means "Conquer" or "Winner".
The second is a tribute from my father to a Roman emperor

Gediminas
04-27-2018, 09:29 PM
Defender of Men; it was my uncle's name, i have the female version. My middle name means Godlike

Bobby Martnen
04-27-2018, 09:35 PM
Bobby is short for Robert, which means "Bright fame"

♥ Lily ♥
04-27-2018, 09:36 PM
My father's surname makes sense as my ancestry is mostly from the West Country (with a little Welsh and Western Irish.)

The name is of Anglo-Saxon origin. It was the name for a person who was considered to be very good-natured and neighborly. The surname is derived from the Old English word. During the Middle Ages people would use this word when they referred to their relatives or their kinsmen.

The surname was first found in Somerset where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.

My mother's maiden surname:

The name came to England with the ancestors of the family in the Norman Conquest of 1066. The name is of Germanic origin and is derived from the Old German word, which meant beloved.

The family name was brought to England after the Norman Conquest, when William the Conqueror gave his friends and relatives most of the land formerly owned by Anglo-Saxon aristocrats.

This distinguished family descended from the Marshall of Duke William and who held lands at Caen, Vauceles, and Venoix in Normandy.

The Norman conquerors imported a vast number of continental European personal names, which largely replaced traditional Old English personal names among the upper and middle classes.

frankhammer
04-27-2018, 09:36 PM
Dweller of the valley

Bobby Martnen
04-27-2018, 09:39 PM
My surname makes sense as my ancestry is mostly from the West Country (with a little Welsh and Western Irish.)

Is Lily your actual first name?

Dick
04-27-2018, 09:41 PM
it's Meh. I wish I had the name Wolf, common for Serb males.

İrle
04-27-2018, 09:45 PM
Scourge of world, great deceiver, lord of lies, prince of darkness, filth of hell and etc.

Guess my moma and daddy weren't happy when I was born.

Catarinense1998
04-27-2018, 09:47 PM
Scourge of world, great deceiver, lord of lies, prince of darkness, filth of hell and etc.

"Filth of hell" - kkkkkkk

İrle
04-27-2018, 09:48 PM
"Filth of hell" - kkkkkkk

Gurls like it.

Aodhan
04-27-2018, 09:54 PM
Aodhan is a Celtic name (Irish I think) wich means something like "fiery one" Aodh means "Fire"

Papastratosels26
04-27-2018, 10:03 PM
My name means my God is YAWVE.

Papastratosels26
04-27-2018, 10:10 PM
My name means my God is YAWVE.

it comes from Elias,eliyah in Hebrew.

Fieraru
05-05-2018, 04:57 PM
My name Costin comes from Constantinus (Constantine), the name of the first Christian emperor. Comes from 'con-stans', meaning standing still or firm, the same root as constant in English I think.

Morlak
05-05-2018, 05:03 PM
My name is of Greek origin and it means "friend of horses" or something like that..
Wish i had pure Serb name

Bornoz
05-05-2018, 05:27 PM
It means sea.

Gwydion
05-05-2018, 05:31 PM
First name: Anglo-Saxon for "Doorkeeper", though other etymologies are proposed

Middle name: Pictish, may be Pictish for "King"

Surname: Cumbric/Brythonic for "Castle" or "City"

Hence it is something like "Doorkeeper of the King's Castle."

Fieraru
05-05-2018, 05:38 PM

Hahaha that is what they called Attila no?

MissMischief
05-05-2018, 05:48 PM
It derives from Latin and it literally means “blessed, full of blessings (divine)”.

Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas
05-05-2018, 05:51 PM
My first name is of Teutonic origin and it means warrior.

gıulıoımpa
05-05-2018, 05:54 PM
mine is simple but not boring.

from the Gens Julia, which claimed to be descendant from trojan hero Aeneas, and was one of the originary gentes of Rome.
i think it suits me well being born in Asia Minor , and then having moved to italy.

KMack
05-05-2018, 05:56 PM
First name means wise counsel (as a last name it can be translated to "wolf"). Last name means mariner or sailor.

gıulıoımpa
05-05-2018, 05:58 PM
My name is of Greek origin and it means "friend of horses" or something like that..

Philippos(?)

Morlak
05-05-2018, 06:18 PM
Philippos(?)

Yeah, in Serbian version its Filip.

Massagetae
05-05-2018, 06:20 PM
Khagan.

Marinus
05-05-2018, 07:19 PM
It's always very interesting to see the history of our names from all the way back to their roots in ancient times to their various modern cognates as they have been adopted and transformed by various different cultures through the ages.

My first name was already mentioned, but I take preference in the "spear of god" Anglo-Saxon interpretation.

My second given name means "famous battle", it is of Western Germanic origin. It's a very popular/common name in much of Europe and disapora.

My first family name is of Asturian-Galician origin, it means "of the sea", "mariner". Hence my user name in this forum.

My last family name is of Anglo-Saxon origin, it means "skilled & artful" and is also an homage to a firgure of Anglo-Saxon/North Germanic mythology.

Jennifer
05-05-2018, 07:30 PM
Fair One

Petros Houhoulis
05-15-2018, 12:23 PM
Rock.

Because I rock.

ovidiu
05-16-2018, 02:36 AM
It's an adaptation of Ovid/Ovidius, the famous Roman poet who was exiled to Tomis (now Constanta, where my mom's family was from), on the Black Sea coast for offending Augustus I believe. Not really sure what the name itself means. I don't even go by my first name since that sounds weird in North America, but rather Nick, which is an Anglicized derivative of my middle name Nicolae, from the saint. And that name is ultimately of Greek origin, being a compound of νίκη nikē 'victory' and λαός; laos 'people'.

Meerkat
05-16-2018, 02:51 AM
meer·kat

noun: meerkat; plural noun: meerkats
a small southern African mongoose, especially the suricate.

Mortimer
05-16-2018, 02:57 AM
Something with sacred its a slavic name. I think it doesnt exist outside the slavic world and cannot be translated into a western european name.

https://s31.postimg.cc/9vnrsckjv/IMG_4081.jpg

Bobby Martnen
05-16-2018, 03:22 AM
Something with sacred its a slavic name. I think it doesnt exist outside the slavic world and cannot be translated into a western european name.

Anglos have a lot of uniquely English names that cannot be translated into other languages. A lot of them are either Anglicizations of Celtic words or come from English surnames.

One of my favorites, while rather old-fashioned today, is Milton.

I think there's a Serbian name "Milutin", but the similarity is just coincidental, and the two names are not translations of each other the way Pavel and Paul are.

Leo Iscariot
05-16-2018, 03:46 AM
Yahweh/Jehovah will add/increase

Mortimer
05-16-2018, 03:48 AM
Anglos have a lot of uniquely English names that cannot be translated into other languages. A lot of them are either Anglicizations of Celtic words or come from English surnames.

One of my favorites, while rather old-fashioned today, is Milton.

I think there's a Serbian name "Milutin", but the similarity is just coincidental, and the two names are not translations of each other the way Pavel and Paul are.

True. For me Brianna comes to mind. Which is typical Anglo name. I think it has celtic origins. In Austria you wont find a Brianna while in America you likely wont find a Gudrun or Brunhilde outside of German American culture.

Bobby Martnen
05-16-2018, 04:09 AM
True. For me Brianna comes to mind. Which is typical Anglo name. I think it has celtic origins. In Austria you wont find a Brianna while in America you likely wont find a Gudrun or Brunhilde outside of German American culture.

Italians have some really cool unique names too, like Pantaleo and Pagliaccio

Westbrook
05-16-2018, 04:12 AM

I think we have the same name. It's a name of royalty and power, something that's becoming rare in America. These days it seems like most kids are given the most cornball trendy name possible.

lutegavel
05-16-2018, 04:39 AM
I'm not so sure about the real meaning of my name but Lute is a stringed instrument having a large pear-shaped body whila a gavel is a small
wooden mallet used by a courtroom judge.

Mikula
05-16-2018, 08:47 AM
My name is of Latin origin and means smething like
"belonged to the god of war" :)

PAGANE
11-01-2020, 11:37 AM
My name is a bit modified, but it probably comes from the old Bulgarian word for wind. A name given with a wish for the child to be "fast as the wind" and not to have enough troubles and misfortunes

Radimir
11-01-2020, 11:46 AM
My name is of proto-Germanic origin.

Helen
11-01-2020, 11:54 AM
From Greek
Helena: Shining light, the bright one.

Daco Celtic
12-01-2020, 09:23 PM
Early 80s yuppie origin, means "active listener and centered individual"

calxpal
12-01-2020, 10:40 PM
My first name means "beautiful" in Greek :)

Ülev
12-01-2020, 10:46 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldemar
Waldemar, Valdemar or Woldemar is an Old High German given name. It consists of the elements wald- "power", "brightness" and -mar "fame".

:cool:

Hialt
12-01-2020, 10:54 PM
Todd Frent is just a fake name I came up with. I think it has a comedic quality, for mysterious reasons.

Malagueña
12-01-2020, 11:13 PM
First is of germanic origin, meaning "Free man" but in feminine form.

Second is of french origin, meaning "Born again" but in feminine form.

Paternal family is of celtiberian origin, all evidence pointing to it coming from either "place with heather" or "place near the rocky elevated eroded zone/small canyon on a river's meandrum" because of the geography found in most villages with the same prefix among north Spain and south France.

Maternal family is of roman origin, no meaning known.

Second paternal family is latin, just means "clubs" like in the spanish cards.

Second maternal family is latin, just means "meadows".

Mixdguy17
12-01-2020, 11:20 PM
Mine is of germanic origin but its the romance/latin variation. It means, famous throughout the land.

placebo
12-01-2020, 11:39 PM
turkish origin and it means peace.

Parça do Neymar
12-02-2020, 01:40 AM
"Man, Manly".

Not to flatter myself, but it just makes sense.

Luso
12-02-2020, 02:14 AM
Ohhh I see what you’re doing... it’s a good way to find out a persons name :rolleyes: I’m not saying :thumb001: but it has something to do with God.

NSXD60
12-02-2020, 03:11 AM
The surname of my ancestors was LaMairde but at family reunions this tended to cause teenage snickering whenever somebody reminisced about défunct LaMairde this and défunct LaMairde that, so it was changed to LaGalette, an appropriate name for those in the baking profession, which was their main occupation at the time. Don't know why they changed the latter, as well, when they came to the New World. Change of profession?

Tutankhamun
04-30-2021, 01:08 AM
Leonardo

it means "brave as a lion", "strong as a lion". It comes from the Germanic name Leonhard

Redmar
04-30-2021, 01:10 AM
Name stems from Proto-Germanic. Means red-haired warrior.

Kriptc06
04-30-2021, 01:13 AM
my name is greek and it has a mythological story behind it, my last name has germanic roots

Alexandro
04-30-2021, 01:21 AM
My first name is Basque and means "new house" or "castle".