PDA

View Full Version : Who are NW Europeans closer to - Poles or French?

Bobby Martnen
04-29-2018, 11:52 PM
I voted Poles, because the genetic distance between West and East is not as large as the genetic distance between North and South

Peterski
04-29-2018, 11:54 PM
Obviously to French. You don't consider France as part of NW Europe?

I voted Poles, because the genetic distance between West and East is not as large as the genetic distance between North and South

But Northern French are genetically more northern than southern.

MysteriousWays
04-29-2018, 11:56 PM
Closer to France, but France is fairly northern genetically in general.

Bobby Martnen
04-29-2018, 11:57 PM
Obviously to French. You don't consider France as part of NW Europe?

No, I don't. They have a lot of Mediterranean admixture, speak a Romance language, and are Catholic.

To me, NW Europe is Germanic and Celtic speaking countries/regions of Europe. So I guess Brittany and Alsace-Lorraine are NW Europe. The rest of France isn't.

But Northern French are genetically more northern than southern.

They still shift South of real Northern Europeans like Germans, Poles, and Brits.

Bobby Martnen
04-29-2018, 11:58 PM
Closer to France, but France is fairly northern genetically in general.

Then how come French are so swarthy compared to actual NW Euros?

If this (German/Scottish mix) guy walked down the streets of Marseilles, the French would call him "Rosbif" (Which is their slang word for an Anglo)

https://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=74621&d=1524364375

Kivan
04-30-2018, 12:00 AM
France, of course.

Marmara
04-30-2018, 12:02 AM
Bobby you don't know what you're talking about.

Answer is French. Even Spaniards come before Poles genetically.

Fsociety
04-30-2018, 12:28 AM
France of course.
They are catholics ( officially not ) hm hmmm ...like Irland too.
The guy you showing here could easily be French. I think You have no idea about French looking.
They are too diverse for being classified by one pictures.
Even in the South they are far less med looking than some peoples expects.

JohnSmith
04-30-2018, 12:34 AM
The French are NW Europeans.

Chaos One
04-30-2018, 12:49 AM
Then how come French are so swarthy compared to actual NW Euros?

If this (German/Scottish mix) guy walked down the streets of Marseilles, the French would call him "Rosbif" (Which is their slang word for an Anglo)

I'm think most people at Southern France are between NE Iberians - North Italians; When I went to Marseille, I saw some people who looked like "Northern French" being mocked because of that, cause it's clear they are very different not by behaviour only.

CordedWhelp
04-30-2018, 01:09 AM
I always considered France as a whole just "West", with regionality effecting additional direction. North being NW, east bordering on central europe, far west/sw southwest europe...

Anyway, I'd say The French are signifcantly closer

Bobby Martnen
04-30-2018, 01:27 AM
Bobby you don't know what you're talking about.

Answer is French. Even Spaniards come before Poles genetically.

I doubt that.

Bobby Martnen
04-30-2018, 01:27 AM
France of course.
They are catholics ( officially not ) hm hmmm ...like Irland too.
The guy you showing here could easily be French. I think You have no idea about French looking.
They are too diverse for being classified by one pictures.
Even in the South they are far less med looking than some peoples expects.

The guy I posted would pass as extremely atypical in France. Honestly, he'd fit better in Russia than in France.

Bobby Martnen
04-30-2018, 01:28 AM
The French are NW Europeans.

They have a lot of Med admixture. They're closer to Italians and Iberians than Brits and Germans.

Jägerstaffel
04-30-2018, 01:37 AM
I'm sure French are closer by genetic distance.

Bobby Martnen
04-30-2018, 01:40 AM
I'm sure French are closer by genetic distance.

Poles are closer culturally, phenotypically, historically, and genetically.

Northern and Eastern Germans are closer genetically to Poles than French, as are Scandinavians.

CordedWhelp
04-30-2018, 01:43 AM
Poles are closer culturally, phenotypically, historically, and genetically.

Northern and Eastern Germans are closer genetically to Poles than French, as are Scandinavians.

Only Northeastern Germans (of course with some exceptions) truly TEND to show some Wendish admixture- and probably much less so as a whole since the wars, expulsions and recent migrations across the country.

You really think the French are comparitively more alien to NW Euros than Poles?

I dunno, man. Agree to disagree. Anyway, how you been?

Bobby Martnen
04-30-2018, 01:45 AM
Only Northeastern Germans (of course with some exceptions) truly TEND to show some Wendish admixture- and probably much less so as a whole since the wars, expulsions and recent migrations across the country.

You really think the French are comparitively more alien to NW Euros than Poles?

I dunno, man. Agree to disagree. Anyway, how you been?

I do, because the French are Latin and Med, but the Poles are also Northern Europeans.

I've been good.

CordedWhelp
04-30-2018, 01:47 AM
I do, because the French are Latin and Med, but the Poles are also Northern Europeans.

I've been good.

Yes, but there is a sense of difference. NW Euros always look at NE euros as "dirty" and slightly alien. Few out in the real world have a united sense of "northerness"

In a general sense, the Bell Beaker/Corded Ware line is alive and well.

JohnSmith
04-30-2018, 01:48 AM
They have a lot of Med admixture. They're closer to Italians and Iberians than Brits and Germans.

Med is not mutual exclusive from Germans or Brits, Med is a Caucasian racial type not an ethnicity. You should read up on anthropology.

Bobby Martnen
04-30-2018, 01:49 AM
Yes, but there is a sense of difference. NW Euros always look at NE euros as "dirty" and slightly alien. Few out in the real world have a united sense of "northerness"

In a general sense, the Bell Beaker/Corded Ware line is alive and well.

You are R1a, so closer to Poles than French.

Bobby Martnen
04-30-2018, 01:49 AM
Med is not mutual exclusive from Germans or Brits Med is a sub-racial type not an ethnicity. You should read up on anthropology.

I know, but the point is the French are halfway between Brits and Italians, genetically.

JohnSmith
04-30-2018, 01:51 AM
I know, but the point is the French are halfway between Brits and Italians, genetically.

That may be true but it has not much to do with the Med,Nordic,Alpine grouping. They can be dispersed from thousands of years of migrations.

Peterski
04-30-2018, 05:15 PM

What?

When East Germans moved to the west after WW2, they increased the percent of Slavic admixture in West Germany (not decreased it):

https://i.imgur.com/ofEC4Bf.png

And yes, the majority of Easternmost Germans settled in West Germany after WW2, so now all of Germany has some Slavic admixture.

Ruggery
04-30-2018, 08:54 PM
I think that a little closer to the French but not much.

Ruggery
04-30-2018, 08:57 PM
What?

When East Germans moved to the west after WW2, they increased the percent of Slavic admixture in West Germany (not decreased it):

https://i.imgur.com/ofEC4Bf.png

And yes, the majority of Easternmost Germans settled in West Germany after WW2, so now all of Germany has some Slavic admixture.

Not only the Germans received a Slavic mix, but also Austria, and even some Nordic countries like Denmark and Sweden do not forget that Poland also has a Germanic mixture.

oszkar07
04-30-2018, 09:33 PM

North French.

You can see on Gedmatch results its not unusual for North West Euro's to cluster a bit with French , usually they dont cluster too closely with Poles, as East European components in NW Euro's usually not significant.

Im not sure but maybe Scandinavians can cluster a bit closer to Poles as they can have higher Baltic components.

Fsociety
05-01-2018, 05:26 PM

I've been good.

Latin is just by language.
Dude, I live here and majority of White French people are far from med.
Do You know the med part of France is really tiny ? More even compared to Atlantic and central part.
By look it’s hard to de fine because the huge diversity, but the common look I can see here is often light brunette with light eyes/brown eyes or hazel. Light skin or very light. Some can tan, some can’t.
It’s like American, You can not saying « white american look like that or that».
Only on anthroforum people think they can stereotyping by clichés or whatever.
In reality it’s very complex.

Decius
05-01-2018, 05:31 PM
French are NW Europeans. Especially Northern French.

Bobby Martnen
05-01-2018, 05:33 PM
French are NW Europeans. Especially Northern French.

Not really. They have some NW Euro admixture, but they're not fully NW Euro.

Decius
05-01-2018, 05:34 PM
Not really. They have some NW Euro admixture, but they're not fully NW Euro.

They are NW euros. North French are close to English.

Bobby Martnen
05-01-2018, 05:37 PM
They are NW euros. North French are close to English.

French have 50% combined Italy/Greece and Iberian DNA. https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?11572-AncestryDNA-results-from-across-Europe

Brits have 5%, and the other NW Euros have even less.

Decius
05-01-2018, 05:38 PM
French have 50% combined Italy/Greece and Iberian DNA. https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?11572-AncestryDNA-results-from-across-Europe

It depends which french. Like I said Northern French are closer to English and have less Southern European DNA.

Aren
05-01-2018, 05:53 PM

The French are closer to NW Euros than you are.

Bobby Martnen
05-01-2018, 05:58 PM
The French are closer to NW Euros than you are.

No, they're not. I'm 1/2 NW Euro by blood.

Aren
05-01-2018, 05:59 PM
No, they're not. I'm 1/2 NW Euro by blood.

They cluster closer to Britain, Netherlands and Scandinavia than you do.

Fsociety
05-01-2018, 06:09 PM

It’s not 50% at all. Do You even know how to calculate ?

And your source is anything but reliable, from a forum.

Bobby Martnen
05-01-2018, 06:17 PM
They cluster closer to Britain, Netherlands and Scandinavia than you do.

Wrong. I cluster slightly West of Austrians.

Aren
05-01-2018, 06:18 PM
Wrong. I cluster slightly West of Austrians.

And Austrians are not particularly close to NW Euros, French are closer.

Bobby Martnen
05-01-2018, 07:55 PM
And Austrians are not particularly close to NW Euros, French are closer.

Austrians are NW Euros.

Aren
05-01-2018, 07:58 PM
Austrians are NW Euros.

Genetically speaking you can't include Austrians in the NW Euro group since they are closer to central Europeans

Bobby Martnen
05-01-2018, 08:00 PM
Genetically speaking you can't include Austrians in the NW Euro group since they are closer to central Europeans

Linguistically and culturally they are NW Euros, and they have more Germanic blood than Frenchmen do.

Also, I'm I1, so that automatically makes me NW EUro.

Bobby Martnen
05-01-2018, 08:01 PM

https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?242825-Who-is-more-Northwestern-European-Austrians-or-Frenchmen