PDA

View Full Version : President McKinley’s Reasons for Acquiring the Philippine Islands

1R0N M4N XL
04-30-2018, 01:39 AM
Arguments in Favor of Annexing the Philippine Islands President McKinley’s Reasons for Acquiring the Philippine Islands

When we received the cable from Admiral Dewey telling of the taking of the Philippines, I looked up their location on the globe. I could not have told where those darned islands were within 2,000 miles! The truth is I didn't want the Philippines, and they came to us, as a gift from the gods, I did not know what to do with them. When the Spanish War broke out, Dewey was at Hong Kong, and I ordered him to go to Manila and to capture or destroy the Spanish fleet .... But that was as far as I thought then ....

. . .I thought first we could take only Manila; then Luzon; then other islands, perhaps also. I walked the floor of the White House night after night until midnight; and I am not ashamed to tell you, gentlemen, that I went down on my knees and prayed Almighty God for light and guidance more than one night. And one night it came to me this way- I don't know how it was, but it came: (1) That we could not give them back to Spain- that would be cowardly and dishonorable; (2) That we could not turn them over to France or Germany- our commercial rivals in the Orient- that would be bad business and discreditable; (3) That we could not leave them to themselves they were unfit for self government-and they would soon have anarchy and misrule over there worse than Spain's was; and (4) That there was nothing left for us to do but to take them all, and to educate the Filipinos, and uplift and civilize and Christianize them, and by God's grace to do the best we could by them ....

And then I went to bed, and went to sleep, and slept soundly, and the next morning I sent for the chief engineer of the War Department (our map-maker) and I told him to put the Philippines on the map of the United States ... and there they are, and there they will stay while I am president!

Did we need their consent to perform a great act for humanity? We had it in every aspiration of their minds, in every hope of their hearts.
No imperial designs lurk in the American mind. [Such designs] are alien to American sentiment, thought and purpose ... If we can benefit these remote peoples, who will object? If in the years of the future they are established in government under law and liberty, who will regret our perils and sacrifices? Who will not rejoice in our humanity?
Incidental to our tenure in the Philippines is the commercial opportunity to which American statesmanship cannot be indifferent. It is just to use every legitimate means for the enlargement of American trade; but we seek no advantages in the Orient, which are not common to all.

Senator Beveridge in a speed before the Senate of January 9, 1900:
The power that rules the Pacific, therefore, is the power that rules the world. And, with the Philippines, that power is and will forever be the American Republic.
Rand-McNally Bankers' Monthly:

Railroad building may be expected to boom in all the islands, which fall under the influence of the United States. Cane sugar and tobacco growing would receive an impetus the forests may also be made to yield handsome returns, ... and in fact every industry, so long under the blighting rule of Spain, will be exploited and made to show the advantages accruing from better government and wider enterprise.
John Barrett, American Minister to Siam, told newsmen:

It is of the greatest importance that the United States should take the Philippine Islands. Their value is not realized at home. They are richer and far larger than Cuba, and in the hands of a strong power would be the key to the Far East. ..
The Churchman, November 19,1898:

Woe to any nation brought to pass where it is called to guide a weaker people's future which hesitates for fear its own interests will be entangled and its own future imperiled by the discharge of unmistakable duty.

Senator Henry Cabot Lodge in a speech before the Senate on March 7,1900:
The taking of the Philippines does not violate the principles of the Declaration of Independence, but will spread them among a people who have never known liberty and who in a few years will be unwilling to leave the shelter of the American flag ....

The form of government natural to the Asiatic has always been despotism ... to abandon those islands is to leave· them to anarchy, to short-lived military dictatorships, to the struggle or factions....
Railway World:

One way of opening a market is to conquer it. . . Already our enterprising merchants are beginning to take possession of the markets which our army and navy have opened to them.

Arguments Against Annexing the Philippine Islands Excerpt from the Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776:
We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed; that, whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute a new government. ..
Carl Schurz (speech given in 1889)

Our government was, in the words of Abraham Lincoln, "the government of the people, by the people, and for the people." It was the noblest ambition of every true American to carry this democratic government to the highest degree of perfection and justice .... Such was our condition, such our beliefs and ideals, ... but a short year ago ... then came the Spanish-American War. According to the solemn pledge of our government, the war had been undertaken solely for the liberation of Cuba, as a way of humanity and not of conquest. But our easy victors had put conquest within our reach, and when our arms occupied a foreign country, a loud demand arose that, pledge or no pledge, the conquest should be kept, even the Philippines on the other side of the globe, and that as to Cuba herself, independence would only be a provisional formality.

... I warn the American people that a democracy cannot so deny its faith as to the vital conditions of its being- it cannot long play the kings over subject populations without creating within itself ways of thinking and habits of actions most dangerous to its own vitality ...
Admiral Dewey (dispatch to Washington-1898):

In my opinion these people (the Filipinos) are superior in intelligence and more capable of se1fgovernment than the natives of Cuba and I am familiar with both races ....
Senator Hoar (writing in 1905):

We crushed the Republic that the Philippine people had set up for themselves, deprived them of their independence, and established there, by American power, a government in which the people have no part, against their will. No man, I think, will seriously question that that action was contrary to the Declaration of Independence, the fundamental principles declared in many state constitutions, the principles avowed by the founders of the Republic, and by our statement of all parties down to a time long after the death of Lincoln.

Emilio Aguinaldo, Filipino Leader (from a manifesto issued in 1896)
Filipino Citizens! The Spanish, not satisfied with shamelessly exploiting us, to our face call us vile epithets to them we are carabaos, ladrones, monkeys and even more insulting terms ... we are not a savage people We love and demand freedom now! Filipinos! The time has come ... Let us march under the revolutionary banner ... let us shed our blood for the revolution whose watchwords are liberty, equality, and fraternity.

Emilio Aguinaldo, Filipino Leader (from a secret meeting with E. Spencer Pratt, 1898, in which Aguinaldo was asked to assist the U.S. in its war against Spain)
Aguinaldo allegedly asked Pratt, " What are we to gain from helping the Americanos?" "Independence," Pratt flatly answered. "Our Congress and President have disclaimed any desire to possess Cuba. We have promised to leave the country to the Cubans after having driven out the Spanish. As in Cuba, so in the Philippines. "
Emilio Aguinaldo, Filipino Leader (from the Philippine Declaration of Independence, June 18, 1898)

"It is a day to be celebrated in perpetuity! The birthday of our republic ... a glorious moment, a splendid hour!"
Emilio Aguinaldo, Filipino Leader (recollection of his feeling when he saw American troops come to the Philippines in July 1898).
"I knew the moment of truth was near. The Americanos had come either to free us or to enslave us. I was ready to greet them with an embrace or a bullet. ..
Senator Hoar (speech given in 1905):

You chose war instead of peace. You chose force instead of conciliation ... talked of the wealth of the Philippine Islands and about the advantage to our trade. What have you accomplished? You have wasted six hundred million dollars ... You have sacrificed thousands of American lives, the flower of our youth. You have devastated provinces. You have slain uncounted thousands of people you desire to benefit. Your generals are coming home from the harvests, bringing their sheaves with them, in the shape of other thousands of sick and wounded ... You have succeeded in converting a people into sullen and irreconcilable enemies, possessed of a hatred, which many decades cannot eradicate ...

http://tritec-inc.org/bay3/ImmigrationRestrictionUnit/mbrophy/handouts/speeches_annexphilippines.pdf

KMack
04-30-2018, 02:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWC9MHgpL8U

Iloko
05-05-2018, 08:00 AM
The US should have turned us over to France or Germany hehe

Bobby Martnen
05-05-2018, 08:01 AM

Why? THey already had empires.

1R0N M4N XL
07-13-2018, 01:52 AM

why would you say that??

USA was colony of great Britain for 200 years... its the foundation of American principles regarding freedom & pursuit of happiness. USA is the only country in human history that can give a colony a independence plus protection after independence.

I doubt france /germany or any other country would do that.

1R0N M4N XL
07-13-2018, 01:58 AM
Why? THey already had empires.

also it was USA entry way to ASIA & indo pacific.. and defending post against ww2 Japan