PDA

View Full Version : Ireland government braced for defeat in election

Thorum
02-25-2011, 03:08 PM
"DUBLIN — Ireland's government (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41778269/ns/world_news-europe/) braced itself for a heavy defeat Friday as voters went to the polls enraged about public service cuts, higher taxes, soaring unemployment and the country's embarrassing bailout."

Good or bad? Or it won't change anything...

Thorum
02-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Follow-up:

Historic shift in Ireland as dominant party falls. (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/26/us-ireland-vote-idUSTRE71O1PP20110226?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews&rpc=76)

I am most interested by the apparent lack of interest on this topic...:fponder:

The Lawspeaker
02-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Fianna Fáiled !

Murphy
02-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Whether it's good or not depends on various things.

If Labour becomes too powerful then it might rule out a possible coalition between FG and Labour. If Labour do get a coalition deal with FG though they may be powerful enough to force FG to bend to Labour's ideal of abortion-on-demand which is the most important issue in Ireland right now because sweet fuck all can be done about anything else such as the economy, immigration etc.

Eldritch
02-26-2011, 10:36 PM
I am most interested by the apparent lack of interest on this topic...:fponder:

Perhaps because people don't know enough to comment, and we only have one Irish member on board atm to give his view?

Thorum
02-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Perhaps because people don't know enough to comment, and we only have one Irish member on board atm to give his view?

Yes, I am sure you are right. I suppose I was hoping for some local insight. I would be counted as one who doesn't know much about Irish politics...

Breedingvariety
02-27-2011, 05:52 AM
"DUBLIN — Ireland's government (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41778269/ns/world_news-europe/) braced itself for a heavy defeat Friday as voters went to the polls enraged about public service cuts, higher taxes, soaring unemployment and the country's embarrassing bailout."

Good or bad? Or it won't change anything...
Nothing will change. People don't understand, they are enraged. Only rage supported by understanding can be successful.

SwordoftheVistula
02-28-2011, 06:24 AM
Fine Gael seems like the most sensible of the parties.

As it stands right now, they made huge gains, possibly enough to govern alone without having to form coalitions with other parties. Some left wing parties (Labor and Sinn Fein) also made gains, with the centrist Fianna Fail and the Irish Greens losing badly.

Eldritch
02-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Fine Gael seems like the most sensible of the parties.

As it stands right now, they made huge gains, possibly enough to govern alone without having to form coalitions with other parties. Some left wing parties (Labor and Sinn Fein) also made gains, with the centrist Fianna Fail and the Irish Greens losing badly.

No more Green in the Emerald Isle's parliament. If only the same happened here in April. :thumbs up

Murphy
02-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Yes, but Labour, who are worse than the Greens, done better.

Eldritch
02-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Yes, but Labour, who are worse than the Greens, done better.

Sorry to hear that. Over here the Watermelon party (green on the outside, red on the inside) stand for everything that's wrong with this country.