PDA

View Full Version : Afrikaans SS Poster

Loyalist
02-22-2009, 10:25 PM
I came across this poster on a militaria site, although no additional information was provided. The text at the top seems to be in Afrikaans (although the bottom looks Dutch?), and I believe Paul Kruger is shown in the background. Is it just a modern Photoshop job, or is the poster legitimate? I haven't been able to find any information on Afrikaner volunteers in the SS, so I'm leaning towards the former.

Loki
02-22-2009, 10:34 PM
Good question. I've seen this poster too before. I'm not sure whether it is genuine, but I do know that the Nazis had been recruiting among Afrikaners during WW2, especially tapping into the anti-British sentiment already there.

You can read more about the Ossewa Brandwag (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ossewa_Brandwag), a pro-Nazi South African organisation.

I know that my family had supported the Ossewa Brandwag, and my father used to listen to German radio broadcasts during WW2 with his father, when he was a young boy. My father was fluent in German as well.

A good read:

The Rise of the South African Reich (http://www.anc.org.za/books/reich.html)

Lenny
03-03-2009, 01:53 AM
the Nazis had been recruiting among Afrikaners during WW2
How is it physically possible that men in South Africa could have joined the Waffen-SS (as per the poster)? That's a long way way from German armies.

It's not like pro-German volunteers could just wander over to the nearest recruiting booth in every city, in the British-ruled Republic of South Africa!

I don't think there would be posters trying to get men to become irregulars/saboteurs...?

Loki
03-03-2009, 01:56 AM
How is it physically possible that men in South Africa could have joined the Waffen-SS (as per the poster)? That's a long way way from German armies.

It's not like pro-German volunteers could just wander over to the nearest recruiting booth in every city, in the British-ruled Republic of South Africa!

I don't think there would be posters trying to get men to become irregulars/saboteurs...?

Well ... good question. :) You're right, it doesn't sound very practical, and in any case the British would have blocked any such flow of manpower from their domain.

Heart of Oak
02-10-2012, 02:05 PM
I agree with everything....