PDA

View Full Version : Doggerland

poiuytrewq0987
02-28-2011, 05:22 AM
I was wondering whether is it even remotely possible to erect large barricades to keep the water out and make the area habitable again.

Pallantides
02-28-2011, 05:25 AM
Treffie, Soten and myself should get free estates in New Doggerland.

Oreka Bailoak
02-28-2011, 05:44 AM
I was wondering whether is it even remotely possible to erect large barricades to keep the water out and make the area habitable again.
haha

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/Doggerbank.jpg

I looked up the area on google earth and the depth is only 26 meters in some parts. But I don't think I'd trust an 85 foot wall to keep the North Sea from tidal waving straight into my house.

So I guess if you had 26 meters (85 feet) of concrete you could rebuild Doggerland. (which would look like those man made islands in Dubai)

Treffie, Soten and myself should get free estates in New Doggerland.

I just found out today I'm also an R1b1b2a1a1* !

(Nice profile picture by the way Libre.)

Magister Eckhart
02-28-2011, 06:37 AM
Ironically, when I first heard about it I had the exact same thought. If the Dutch can prevent the destruction of the Netherlands with a wall, I imagine it is possible for a wall to be engineered to make Doggerland inhabitable. There's supposedly a large silver deposit there if I recall.

poiuytrewq0987
02-28-2011, 06:49 AM
I think it'd be even more interesting when countries contest sovereignty over Doggerland if it ever goes Dubai.

Albion
02-28-2011, 07:57 AM
I think it'd be even more interesting when countries contest sovereignty over Doggerland if it ever goes Dubai.

Based on EEZs the majority would be controlled by England and the Netherlands with Germany and Denmark perhaps having small sections too.
More important than the Dogger bank are a number of shallows off the coast of East Anglia (England), some areas of which are around 2 and 5 meters below sea level.

sean
08-21-2020, 10:15 AM
Doggerland is particularly impressive because it proves that the islands that are now Great Britain were once connected to the rest of Europe. Climatologists, archaeologists, and geophysicists continue to map the entirety of these ancient ruins and are working to understand them more fully.

If humans had survived there, they would have had a major impact on the development of civilisation, even if it were delayed due to their isolation. The Mesolithic inhabitants probably would have been replaced by Neolithic invaders from the mainland, who in turn might have been overwhelmed by Celtic invaders as in the British Isles.

Later, the Celts might have been displaced by the expansion of Germanic invaders, especially as the Celts would probably have had a lower population density in Doggerland than in the British Isles and mainland Europe. North Germanic Doggerlanders might have formed a cultural continuity between the Norse cultures and those of Britain.

Assuming it's done using current technology, I imagine it would be done in stages, colonising the land with plants that can tolerate the sandy, salty soil, and gradually introducing more terrestrial species as the soil improves. It could take decades at the very least.

However, the concept alone of just pushing all kinds of sediment together to form synthetic islands is shitty itself. The artificial islands designed in Dubai are falling apart.

https://i.imgur.com/yj4jSb4.jpg

PaleoEuropean
08-21-2020, 08:48 PM
Doggerland is particularly impressive because it proves that the islands that are now Great Britain were once connected to the rest of Europe. Climatologists, archaeologists, and geophysicists continue to map the entirety of these ancient ruins and are working to understand them more fully.

If humans had survived there, they would have had a major impact on the development of civilisation, even if it were delayed due to their isolation. The Mesolithic inhabitants probably would have been replaced by Neolithic invaders from the mainland, who in turn might have been overwhelmed by Celtic invaders as in the British Isles.

Later, the Celts might have been displaced by the expansion of Germanic invaders, especially as the Celts would probably have had a lower population density in Doggerland than in the British Isles and mainland Europe. North Germanic Doggerlanders might have formed a cultural continuity between the Norse cultures and those of Britain.

Assuming it's done using current technology, I imagine it would be done in stages, colonising the land with plants that can tolerate the sandy, salty soil, and gradually introducing more terrestrial species as the soil improves. It could take decades at the very least.

However, the concept alone of just pushing all kinds of sediment together to form synthetic islands is shitty itself. The artificial islands designed in Dubai are falling apart.

https://i.imgur.com/yj4jSb4.jpg

The highest density of Doggerland survivors are in Ireland and Scotland fun fact.