PDA

View Full Version : Do you see Arbereshe Shqiptars as being Albanians or true Sicilian Italians?

Bobby Martnen
05-08-2018, 06:14 AM
Discuss.

Mortimer
05-08-2018, 06:14 AM
Both at the same time. They are true Italians but also Albanians.

MinervaItalica
05-08-2018, 10:21 AM
They are Italianized Albanians. And besides they are not only in Sicily but in other parts of South Italy as well.

GiCa
05-08-2018, 06:21 PM
I ve met 3-4 acquaintances who had some arbereshe roots.
Two of them Calabrian the other sicilian

The Sicilian one.. Looking her surname ethimology online.. It has effectively an Albanian meaning

Sikeliot
05-16-2018, 12:35 PM
I consider them Albanians living in Italy, though many of them are assimilated by now probably.

On the other hand I do consider Griko people to be southern Italian because the Calabrese Griko people are the oldest population of southern Italy and have mixed with almost no foreigners (they don't have much Balkan ancestry either despite being Greek speaking).

Kelmendasi
05-16-2018, 12:49 PM
Why are you saying "Arbereshe Shqiptars", you do realize Arbereshe and Shqiptar means Albanian? The answer is in the name of the people

Dibran
05-16-2018, 12:57 PM
Met a girl whose last name was Guraforte. She claimed she had no Arberesh roots though. To me it sounds like "Gure Fort" Hard Rock lol. Probably to explain their courage. Unless of course it means something else in Italian.