PDA

View Full Version : List the countries from best fit to worse for these students from Athens

Tooting Carmen
05-11-2018, 03:00 PM
Hat tip to 'catgeorge' for originally posting them.

Italy, Spain, Portugal, Malta, Cyprus, Albania, Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, Croatia, Ukraine, Hungary, Czech Republic, Poland, Russia, Germany, Netherlands, France, UK, Ireland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Turkey, Lebanon, Syria, Israel, Jordan, Iraq, Iran, Egypt, Algeria, Morocco.

http://edutrip.gr/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/edusandiego.png

http://edutrip.gr/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/mit-team.png

http://edutrip.gr/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/eduprinceton.png

http://edutrip.gr/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/stanford-team.png

http://edutrip.gr/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/georgiatech.png

http://edutrip.gr/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Berkeley-team-.png

Sikeliot
05-11-2018, 03:08 PM
I'll do it with every choice later but:

Romania/Bulgaria, Albania, Central Italy, South Italy, Sicily, Malta, Serbia, Iberia, Cyprus, Georgia/Armenia, Turkey, Poland, Ukraine, Iran, France, UK and Ireland.

To me nothing else fits at all.

Lavrentis
05-11-2018, 03:11 PM
Places like Jordan, Denmark, Morocco, the Netherlands, Russia and Algeria shouldn’t even be in the question imo. The fewer the countries, the more interesting the thread becomes. Even neighboring countries such as Albania and Turkey have big phenotypical differences with Greece but at least it makes sense to include them because they’re geographically close to Greece. But that’s just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tooting Carmen
05-11-2018, 03:14 PM
I'll do it with every choice later but:

Romania/Bulgaria, Albania, Central Italy, South Italy, Sicily, Malta, Serbia, Iberia, Cyprus, Georgia/Armenia, Turkey, Poland, Ukraine, Iran, France, UK and Ireland.

To me nothing else fits at all.

Serbs are lighter and more Central Euro-looking than Romanians and Bulgarians, but I don't think the gap is as big as your list suggests. Also, is there no overlap at all with the Levant? And why the British Isles but not Germany, where you can find Alpine and Dinarid types (mixed and unmixed with Meds) more than in Britain? Otherwise, good list.

frdfgcg
05-11-2018, 03:25 PM
Serbs are lighter and more Central Euro-looking than Romanians and Bulgarians, but I don't think the gap is as big as your list suggests. Also, is there no overlap at all with the Levant? And why the British Isles but not Germany, where you can find Alpine and Dinarid types (mixed and unmixed with Meds) more than in Britain? Otherwise, good list.

In the countries like Germany, France, Poland, Ukraine, Russia fit easily.
In these countries there are many different phenotypes.

Tooting Carmen
05-11-2018, 03:27 PM
In the countries like Germany, France, Poland, Ukraine, Russia fit easily.
In these countries there are many different phenotypes.

Individually, maybe. As a group, however, I don't think they strongly resemble any of those.

The Blade
05-11-2018, 03:57 PM
This sample I would rank:
Italy
Portugal
Spain
Cyprus
Albania
Bulgaria
France
Serbia
Croatia
Malta
Romania
Hungary
Turkey
Georgia
Lebanon
Israel
Syria
The rest are not applicable, in my opinion.

The Blade
05-11-2018, 04:06 PM
My criterion was convergence/divergence to respective nations in the existence/frequency and, on the other hand, lack of Mediterranean, Dinaric, Alpine, West Asian, pan-Southern types, Semitic ones, etc.

Sikeliot
05-11-2018, 04:32 PM

They don't look Levantine nor Semitic but some look like Persian or Armenian. I contemplated Georgia at the top of the list even but some don't look Georgian at all.

Sikeliot
05-11-2018, 04:41 PM
The ones here who look West Asian actually look close to the ones in my Sicilian set from Enna who had that look and it is more Caucasian or Iranian than Levantine to me.

brennus dux gallorum
05-11-2018, 06:35 PM
Italy
Iberia
Bulgaria
Romania
Cyprus
Albania
France
Hungary
Turkey
Rest of near east
UK /Ireland /Anything else doesn't fit

Tauromachos
05-11-2018, 08:06 PM
Overall the people look European alot of them more or less Pan European but with significant Med or South Europe shift.

Thus Italy would be their best fit.

All other things either Balkans or something else in Europe would be secondary choices.

A region like Abruzzo would just do fine for them as a group

MysteriousWays
05-11-2018, 08:16 PM
Italy (both Central and South)
Spain
Portugal
Sicly & Malta
Bulgaria
Cyprus
Albania
Serbia
Croatia
Romania
Hungary
Germany
Turkey
Georgia
Israel
Lebanon
Syria

Rest are not really applicable, although certainly, some individuals can pass well into Northern Europe.

Tooting Carmen
05-11-2018, 09:55 PM
The ones here who look West Asian actually look close to the ones in my Sicilian set from Enna who had that look and it is more Caucasian or Iranian than Levantine to me.

They certainly don't look more 'mainstream European' than do Sicilians, regardless of what genetics (or rather certain readings of them) might suggest. As a side note, contrary to the notion (which I know you don't share anymore than I do) that "Europeans all look more alike than any do to non-Europeans", I see several more individuals who fit in West Asian countries than in Germanic/Nordic ones.

Sikeliot
05-11-2018, 10:12 PM
They certainly don't look more 'mainstream European' than do Sicilians, regardless of what genetics (or rather certain readings of them) might suggest. As a side note, contrary to the notion (which I know you don't share anymore than I do) that "Europeans all look more alike than any do to non-Europeans", I say several more individuals who fit in West Asian countries than in Germanic/Nordic ones.

They might not look more "mainstream European" than Sicilians but they definitely look less SEMITIC (Jewish, Lebanese, Syrian, etc) than Sicilians. That is the difference.

They fit better in places like Georgia, Iran, Turkey than in Germany or Hungary, but they fit better in Germany or Hungary as atypical dark types than in Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt, or the Maghreb.

Sikeliot
05-11-2018, 10:13 PM
On another note why do people think they fit well in Iberia? These people don't look particularly Iberian to me, though it would be higher up on the list than any Near Eastern or North European country.

Tooting Carmen
05-11-2018, 10:21 PM
On another note why do people think they fit well in Iberia? These people don't look particularly Iberian to me, though it would be higher up on the list than any Near Eastern or North European country.

Many do fit well in Iberia, but as a group I agree they don't look it due to being stockier and more robust on the whole.

Sikeliot
05-11-2018, 10:26 PM
Many do fit well in Iberia, but as a group I agree they don't look it due to being stockier and more robust on the whole.

If I had to pick they look like a mixture of (not intermediate between, but like a mixture of people from the two stuck into one group) Bulgarian and southern Italian, without the Jewish/Levantine type looks in some people from parts of Calabria or Sicily (but I see one girl, the curly haired one on the left of the collage who looks this way) and without a distinct Italo-Celtic look that some central and south Italians have, and more people who look Georgian. Those types that pass further north, pass in the Hungary/Ukraine area but not much further north or west than this.

I'd say roughly half of them would fit in Iberia.

Tauromachos
05-11-2018, 11:52 PM
They might not look more "mainstream European" than Sicilians but they definitely look less SEMITIC (Jewish, Lebanese, Syrian, etc) than Sicilians. That is the difference.

But this doesn't make them Balkan or Bulgarian looking afaik.

As i said as a group they would blend in best with some other region of Italy such as Abruzzo.

Sikeliot
05-11-2018, 11:55 PM
But this doesn't make them Balkan or Bulgarian looking afaik.

As i said as a group they would blend in best with some other region of Italy such as Abruzzo.

Some of the people do have a Bulgarian Med type look, Pontid.

Tooting Carmen
05-12-2018, 12:02 AM
Here are some Spanish students (old and young) for comparison: https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?244088-List-the-countries-from-best-fit-to-worse-for-these-students-at-the-University-of-Cordoba-Spain

Sikeliot
05-12-2018, 12:08 AM
Here are some Spanish students (old and young) for comparison: https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?244088-List-the-countries-from-best-fit-to-worse-for-these-students-at-the-University-of-Cordoba-Spain

The Spaniards look noticeably less Sicilian and south Italian looking than the Greeks do, and I'd say roughly half would pass in Greece.

Tauromachos
05-12-2018, 12:18 AM

Lol post a group of Spanish students from Cordoba.

And then suddenly the Greek students start to look Sicilian/South Italian.

Funny isn't it

Sikeliot
05-12-2018, 12:45 AM
Lol post a group of Spanish students from Cordoba.

And then suddenly the Greek students start to look Sicilian/South Italian.

Funny isn't it

I didn't say the Greeks looked indistinguishable from Sicilians. But they look much closer to it than did the Spanish photos. In fact I've said even Bulgarians look more like Sicilians than Spaniards do (and are genetically closer).

Odin
05-12-2018, 08:09 AM
Best: SE Europe.
Worse: NW Europe.

Newsboy
05-12-2018, 04:37 PM
This sample I would rank:
Italy
Portugal
Spain
Cyprus
Albania
Bulgaria
France
Serbia
Croatia
Malta
Romania
Hungary
Turkey
Georgia
Lebanon
Israel
Syria
The rest are not applicable, in my opinion.

Agreed