PDA

View Full Version : Russian Stanislav Petrov Saved the World on September 26, 1983

Robocop
05-26-2018, 12:50 AM
On the Russian morning of 26 September 1983, World war 3 could have started, except for one man, Soviet Union Captain Stanislav Petrov.

Russia installed a missile defense warning system in 1983. on the morning of 26 september 1983 Captain Petrov was manning the early warning Defensive systems, the system was tracking dozens of incoming ICBMs (Intercontinental Ballistic Missile) from America. Captain Petrov's job was to alert Soviet Nuclear forces of the Incoming ICBMs, but Petrov didn't believe what the computer was telling him.

He didn't pick up the phone and make that call, if he had,nothing would be left. His sole responsibility was to call in the incoming ICBMs, That would have triggered the Soviet Unions full retaliatory response.

He monitored the computer and suddenly there were thousands upon thousands of missiles coming at the soviet union, still Captain Petrov didn't pick up the phone, his gut instinct was,something was wrong.

It turns out the thousands of ICBMs the computer was tracking were the beams of sunlight from the raising sun over the horizon. When the sun fully cleared the horizon all incoming ICBMs disappeared from the monitors.

26 September 1983 the world could have ended.

P.S. Not everyone knows this and I thought things like this should be known to younger generations :).

Colonel Frank Grimes
05-26-2018, 01:40 AM
That 'gut feeling' was wanting to believe it wasn't true. I suspect the majority of people wouldn't make the call because they know that's the end of it all. They don't want to be the one to be part of ending it all. He was convincing himself something was off.

Robocop
05-26-2018, 02:04 AM
That 'gut feeling' was wanting to believe it wasn't true. I suspect the majority of people wouldn't make the call because they know that's the end of it all. They don't want to be the one to be part of ending it all. He was convincing himself something was off.

Either way, the guy saved the world with his "gut feeling".

No offence but if this guy was an American I think Hollywood would make 10 000 movies already about this guy and this event lol.

Because he's Russian, almost no one in world heard of this guy and of this event.

Colonel Frank Grimes
05-26-2018, 02:06 AM
Either way, the guy saved the world with his call.

No offence but if this guy was an American I think Hollywood would make 10 000 movies already about this guy and event lol.

The movie would be like 20 minutes long. They'd have to throw in a conspiracy and perhaps alcoholism to make it longer.

Robocop
05-26-2018, 02:08 AM
The movie would be like 20 minutes long. They'd have to throw in a conspiracy and perhaps alcoholism to make it longer.

Lol.

Anyway man, doesn't matter American or Russian or Martian, this russian guy is a Hero to me, nevermind for what reason he didn't made the call, he is a hero, an unknown hero.

Colonel Frank Grimes
05-26-2018, 03:09 AM
Lol.

Anyway man, doesn't matter American or Russian or Martian, this this russian guy is a Hero to me, nevermind for what reason he didn't made the call, he is a hero, an unknown hero.

Supposedly the Soviets later developed a system that would automatically respond with nuclear strikes if they were hit with nuclear strikes but it can be override manually. I say supposedly cuz who knows if it's nothing but talk or truth.

Robocop
05-26-2018, 09:54 AM
Supposedly the Soviets later developed a system that would automatically respond with nuclear strikes if they were hit with nuclear strikes but it can be override manually. I say supposedly cuz who knows if it's nothing but talk or truth.

You ever watched masterpiece movie Fail Safe 1964? If you didn't please do..., it's a masterpiece about some similar situation which happened to U.S., movie is so God damn great.

Just one scene, movie has brilliant acting, brilliant story, and ending...:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MuuyFBzmdQ

In this scene U.S. military & govermont have to work togethar with Soviets to somehow stop the American airplanes which are going to nuke USSR (BY FUCKING MACHINE MISTAKE).

Ofcourse this cooperation with Soviets to kill american pilots (even though for the right cause) doesn't go well with some of the American officials, brilliant acting.

P.S. If you haven't seen the movie, please do :D

frdfgcg
05-26-2018, 09:58 AM
lol
This myth in Russia has long been exposed.

Robocop
05-26-2018, 10:04 AM
lol

What do you mean exposed? I've read long time ago this is totally true event.

And btw, not from an american book.

frdfgcg
05-26-2018, 10:13 AM
https://masterok.livejournal.com/3917027.html

EdwardS
05-26-2018, 10:18 AM
https://masterok.livejournal.com/3917027.html

this is a dubious revelation!

Methuselah
05-26-2018, 10:30 AM
lol

No offense, but there is something in your tap water guys. You believe in everything Europeans do not believe and vice versa. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7EmLf4Xlq0

frdfgcg
05-26-2018, 10:58 AM
this is a dubious revelation!

Почитай комментарии к статье. В интернете есть ещё много информации.
Это система была экспериментальной и была лишь принята на боевое дежурство в 1985 году.
Сам Петров не решал начинать войну или нет, его задачей было доложить наверх о том, что показывает система.
В любом случае эту информацию проверяют по нескольким источникам и лишь потом принимают решения об ответном ударе.
https://topwar.ru/137572-chelovek-kotoryy-spas-mir-chem-udivila-zapadnaya-lenta-o-sovetskom-oficere.html

frdfgcg
05-26-2018, 01:37 PM
No offense, but there is something in your tap water guys. You believe in everything Europeans do not believe and vice versa. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7EmLf4Xlq0

Most people do not have critical thinking.
They believe what TV tells them.
You were told that he was a hero.
But is it so?
This officer could not make decisions about the retaliatory strike.
His task was to convey information to those who make such decisions.
What would happen if he gave this information?
Nothing.
Information about the retaliatory strike is taken on the basis of several sources.
All other sources showed that there was no attack.
It was just a system failure.
And there were several such cases. And from the Soviet side, and from the United States.
The usual working moment.
If one person made decisions about the beginning of the war, then long ago this world would not exist.

Odin
05-26-2018, 02:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyEPvtT5TrM

Robocop
05-26-2018, 08:13 PM
Most people do not have critical thinking.
They believe what TV tells them.
You were told that he was a hero.
But is it so?
This officer could not make decisions about the retaliatory strike.
His task was to convey information to those who make such decisions.
What would happen if he gave this information?
Nothing.
Information about the retaliatory strike is taken on the basis of several sources.
All other sources showed that there was no attack.
It was just a system failure.
And there were several such cases. And from the Soviet side, and from the United States.
The usual working moment.
If one person made decisions about the beginning of the war, then long ago this world would not exist.

I see your point but still I don't agree with you about Petrov in this case, if he didnt do what he did, you and me maybe wouldn't write now, who knows.

P.S. It's like you have some grudge against Petrov or somethin lol, no offence man, I have critical thinking as well and it's not just what TV tells me, far from it, I research, and I know this was not an ordinary case of system failure as you mention in your point, it wasn't ordinary.