PDA

View Full Version : Which results should I trust? Am I more British or more Continental Europe?

DarkWater
05-26-2018, 12:55 PM
Ancestry Ethnicity Estimate:

Great Britain 54%
Europe West 30% (Region:Germany & the Midwestern United States)

-Low Confidence Regions - (Migrations: Eastern Kentucky & Northeast Tennessee Settlers; South Central Appalachia Settlers)
Europe South 6%
Scandinavia 5%
European Jewish 2%
Caucasus <1%
Finland/Northwest Russia <1%
Iberian Peninsula <1%
Ireland/Scotland/Wales

MyHeritage Ethnicity Estimate

North and West European (Germany, France, Netherlands)75.5%
English 16.2%

Italian 5.7%

Ashkenazi Jewish 2.6%

Family Tree DNA

West and Central Europe 72%
British Isles 19%

East Europe 9%

Which results should I trust and which tests on gedmatch should I consider most?

Leto
05-26-2018, 04:36 PM
No idea how much this and that you are proportionally.

DarkWater
05-26-2018, 06:44 PM
Thanks

Leto
05-26-2018, 06:47 PM
Thanks
Lol. I mean how much German are you? And how much English?

Kriptc06
05-26-2018, 06:50 PM
Western Europe (French-German) can be confused with British isles for various reasons, the Anglo-Saxons and later Norman French. it's not uncommon for a german person score British Isles having no known ancestry there and for a British person to score German as well. For a person who is british-german mix, it gets even more confusing. So id tell you to go by genealogy.

It's a common mistake I see people making, look at their test and say, "hey! I am 23% Italian, god my family lied to me, I have italian ancestry! Am I adopted?, blah blah blah". When this DNA can be very old migrations in Europe.

DarkWater
05-26-2018, 06:55 PM
Well I have one grandma who is descended almost entirely from German people.

I have another grandma whose parents came from a part of Austria Hungary that is now actually part of Romania. They’ll had german names and I assume they are Danube Subians originally from what is now Baden Württemburg. Some of of them lOok alpine and one of them looks kind of Jewish.

I have one grandpa whose family and ancestors have been in the USA since the early 1700s. A lot of his ancestors come from England and West Germany.

My other grandpa’s ancestry is more of a mystery. He has some German and Italian sounding surnames in his family tree, but overall I know the least about him.

de Burgh II
05-26-2018, 06:57 PM
Your Ancestry results look more accurate; myheritage tends to be inaccurate and generalizes population clusters most of the time.

DarkWater
05-27-2018, 08:31 PM
thanks

redeyednewt
08-03-2018, 02:37 PM
Western Europe (French-German) can be confused with British isles for various reasons, the Anglo-Saxons and later Norman French. it's not uncommon for a german person score British Isles having no known ancestry there and for a British person to score German as well. For a person who is british-german mix, it gets even more confusing. So id tell you to go by genealogy.

It's a common mistake I see people making, look at their test and say, "hey! I am 23% Italian, god my family lied to me, I have italian ancestry! Am I adopted?, blah blah blah". When this DNA can be very old migrations in Europe.

That's very true. I read posts like that in genealogy groups on facebook all the time. One woman who found out she has a heritage from Switzerland was surprised when she also came up as having an Italian ancestry or Ancestry.com's DNA test showed her as being a small percentage of Italian or having a heritage from what's now Italy, Switzerland, or Austria.

DarkWater
08-04-2018, 03:52 PM
That's very true. I read posts like that in genealogy groups on facebook all the time. One woman who found out she has a heritage from Switzerland was surprised when she also came up as having an Italian ancestry or Ancestry.com's DNA test showed her as being a small percentage of Italian or having a heritage from what's now Italy, Switzerland, or Austria.

Interesting, thanks