PDA

View Full Version : Why do Dodecanese Greeks have the same accent as Cypriots.

Voskos
05-29-2018, 07:22 PM
Just google them, they speak as Cypriots.

Voskos
05-29-2018, 07:28 PM
True story: I ask someone with a heavy Greek Cypriot accent "Which city are you from in Cyprus" and he answers back "Im not from Cyprus" .Turns out he was dodecannesian.

Hylates
05-29-2018, 07:42 PM
True story: I ask someone with a heavy Greek Cypriot accent "Which city are you from in Cyprus" and he answers back "Im not from Cyprus" .Turns out he was dodecannesian.

People of Rhodes i think speak like Cypriots .

Voskos
05-29-2018, 07:53 PM
People of Rhodes i think speak like Cypriots .

I once got mistaken for a cypriot in my own region because I stressed the consonants a bit too much. :D

Teucer
05-30-2018, 04:11 AM
Probably isolation. We speak like ancient Greeks :eyes

Thanas Django
05-30-2018, 01:27 PM
We speak like Greeks spoke before the language reforms brought about by the likes of Koraes.

Sikeliot
05-30-2018, 01:33 PM
Griko people in Italy have a similar accent to Dodecanese and Cypriots also.

Teucer
05-30-2018, 01:51 PM
Griko people in Italy have a similar accent to Dodecanese and Cypriots also.

After having a debate with (I forget his name but it is long and French) I am convinced this accent is a direct descendant from the ancient Peloponnese, although not specifically Dorian.

I was told growing up that Cypriots speak this way because of Turkish and Arab occupation of the island, since the 'j' sound is not found in the mainland. I no longer believe that anymore. I can't explain where and why it originated exactly but since it is present in isolated Greek groups too, it must either be a remnant from the Byzantine era or before

ADonkeyBrain
05-30-2018, 04:40 PM
After having a debate with (I forget his name but it is long and French) I am convinced this accent is a direct descendant from the ancient Peloponnese, although not specifically Dorian.

As I wrote in that thread too, that particular feature you were talking about likely isn't. It's most likely a later innovation and can arise pretty often; specifically in Greek I believe it exists even in dialects that have no conceivable ties to the Peloponnese, like Cappadocian.

Teucer
05-30-2018, 05:58 PM
As I wrote in that thread too, that particular feature you were talking about likely isn't. It's most likely a later innovation and can arise pretty often; specifically in Greek I believe it exists even in dialects that have no conceivable ties to the Peloponnese, like Cappadocian.

That is fair enough. What do you believe accounts for that change?

Thanas Django
06-01-2018, 12:04 PM
That is fair enough. What do you believe accounts for that change?

it's just regional linguistic happenstance.

If you ever get to study linguistics you will realise that most of what constitutes spoken languages came at random.