PDA

View Full Version : Why do so many Poles hate being called "Eastern European"?

Schüreck
05-31-2018, 03:47 PM
I've never had a problem with that, but all the other Poles get extremely offended when someone calls them "Eastern European"

Peterski
05-31-2018, 03:55 PM
Because historically Poland was seen as the "Antemurale" of the Western Civilization:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antemurale_myth

So Poles don't want to be associated with anything Muslim, or Orthodox, or Russian.

That being said, I'm generally Pro-Russian*. But I keep a healthy distance. I don't want Poles to be seen as Little Russians (this is the name Russian nationalists use when describing Ukrainians).

*Like Roman Dmowski. And as you know Wielkopolska was Dmowski's stronghold.

Peterski
05-31-2018, 04:11 PM
I consider Russia as part of European civilization, so I don't think that our "mission" is to "defend Europe from Russia". But this narrative is common, "Russian threat" is used to frighten people.

Russia is used in fairy tales for adult Westerners just like Baba Yaga in fairy tales for children.

Many Poles also fall for this "Russia is the biggest threat" narrative. I personally think that Russia is no threat to Poland anymore. It is a threat to Ukraine, Belarus and Baltic states, but not Poland.

Veslan
05-31-2018, 05:40 PM
Inferiority complex of west-loving cucks and russophobia.

RN97
05-31-2018, 05:41 PM
Because they are smart as fuck. Everyone thinks Polacks are eastern Europeans, but only they are smart enough to figure out they're western ;)

Peterski
05-31-2018, 06:23 PM
Russophobia is surely against Polish Raison d'état. We shouldn't be hostile to Russia.

I also don't think that Poland should emulate "the West" or "try to be western". We should follow our own path and don't care about angry butthurt voices of criticism or attempts to mock our ways.

Bolsonaro2018
05-31-2018, 06:44 PM
I dont think they associate themselves as western either, but something central, i guess the fact of being roman catholic has to do with it, status quo.

MinervaItalica
05-31-2018, 06:46 PM
Really? That's curious.
Mmmm perhaps because their past as member of the Warsaw Pact?

Jana
05-31-2018, 06:46 PM
I think Pole native to Krakow can't feel the same about this as some Pole who originate from Belarus for example, because this was not part of same culture and is not the same.

Peterski
05-31-2018, 06:47 PM
I think Pole native to Krakow can't feel the same about this as some Pole who originate from Belarus for example, because this was not part of same culture and is not the same.

It was part of the same culture. Both areas were part of Polish culture.

It's not the case that Poles from Belarus are culturally Belarusian.

Tadeusz Kościuszko for example was a Pole from Belarus:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tadeusz_Kościuszko#American_Revolutionary_War

Lots of famous Poles were from Belarus or Lithuania. Piłsudski, Mickiewicz, etc.

Also many from Latvia (Polish Livonia). Władysław Anders, Emilia Plater, etc.

Dandelion
05-31-2018, 06:47 PM
Poles are divided into Rethelites and Litvinites. One is pro-German and the other pro-Russian. Ironically Rethel speaks better Russian than Litvin, yet he's the pro-German one. :)

Jana
05-31-2018, 06:50 PM
It was part of the same culture. Both areas were part of Polish culture.

It's not the case that Poles from Belarus are culturally Belarusian.

Tadeusz Kościuszko for example was a Pole from Belarus.

Polish culture there wasn't the same, or do you think German from Vienna and Hamburg have similar culture, or Italian from Palermo or Venice ?

There was never strong central European influence in Belarus, we can speak about north European rather.

Poland isn't proper Central European country just like Croatia (or Germany). It's southern parts belong more to this region than northern do.

Peterski
05-31-2018, 06:53 PM
Polish culture there wasn't the same

Just like German culture is not the same in every region, but it is still German culture. Polish culture is Polish culture across the whole area. And lots of Poles from Latvia by the way are descended from Polonized Baltic Germans. I mentioned Władysław Anders and Emilia Plater both of whom were descended from Baltic Germans. Piłsudski was descended from Polonized Samogitian (ethnically Baltic) nobility.

Ülev
05-31-2018, 06:54 PM
Polish culture there wasn't the same, or do you think German from Vienna and Hamburg have similar culture, or Italian from Palermo or Venice ?

There was never strong central European influence in Belarus, we can speak about north European rather.

Poland isn't proper Central European country just like Croatia (or Germany). It's southern parts belong more to this region than northern do.

read this: https://euroradio.fm/en/poles-put-pressure-all-mentions-belarus-removed-kosciuszko-monument

Jana
05-31-2018, 06:55 PM
Just like German culture is not the same in every region. But it is still German culture.

And lots of Poles from Latvia by the way are descended from Polonized Baltic Germans.

This sounds like nationalist trying to homogenize his culture rather than reality, sory :D

Baltic Germans are north Europeans, not central Europeans.

Go to Gdansk and compare it to Rostock, Riga and other Hanesatic cities and you will see much more similarities than to Prague or Budapest. Krakow or Lviv are another story.

Peterski
05-31-2018, 06:56 PM
Baltic Germans are north Europeans, not central Europeans.

I never claimed that Poland is a central European country.

We are clearly in-between Baltic Europe and Central Europe.

Jana
05-31-2018, 06:58 PM
I never claimed that Poland is a central European country.

We are clearly in-between Baltic Europe and Central Europe.

Agree, just like we are in-between central Europe and Balkans

Ülev
05-31-2018, 06:59 PM
nick with German letter "ü" looks lovely in this topic

Peterski
05-31-2018, 06:59 PM
The Inquiry even recommended that Poland and Lithuania should unite again after WW1:

https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?246270-The-Inquiry-on-Polish-and-Czechoslovak-borders-1919

Unfortunately modern Lithuanian nationalism is built on Pre-1385 Lithuanian-identity. Lithuanian nationalists consider Jogaila as a traitor and they want to identify with Pagan times (even though they didn't convert back to Paganism), they don't associate with common Polish-Lithuanian history.

Dragoon
06-02-2018, 09:30 PM
No problem being called Eastern Europe.

I consider Russia as part of European civilization, so I don't think that our "mission" is to "defend Europe from Russia". But this narrative is common, "Russian threat" is used to frighten people.

Russia is used in fairy tales for adult Westerners just like Baba Yaga in fairy tales for children.

Many Poles also fall for this "Russia is the biggest threat" narrative. I personally think that Russia is no threat to Poland anymore. It is a threat to Ukraine, Belarus and Baltic states, but not Poland.

Agreed completely. Id say only Ukraine and Baltics have any claim in Europe to be worried about Russia.

Im more concerned with Western Europe and American: Liberal and New Left cultural infection of Poland. Also neocon values are not exactly Gentile or Catholic. They favor Israel and US "democracy" spreading.

A slow infection that gets people over time which changed West in just a few decades. No vaccine has yet been found unless human carries defense.

The West is no longer Christian or anything resembling of old. Completely different from past.

Ayman Vasconic
06-03-2018, 11:25 AM
Polish culture there wasn't the same,

Historically was everything here. West and east, north and south. Especialy in modesty. The real center of europe.

is built on Pre-1385

Even pre-1253 and anty post 1385/1920.

brennus dux gallorum
06-03-2018, 11:31 AM
Because there are no gopniks in Poland, there are only dresiarz who never squat, and never wear addidas:p

There is a video in YouTube with the title "meanwhile in Poland"

I enjoyed watching it, and I was sure about the comments that I will read in the end

Anyway, honestly, I don't know many things about Poland being western or eastern our whatever, but it surely isn't a "small Russia", as many people claim, it's its own

Ps peterski/litvin, you are still ugly :p

ЛыSSый
06-06-2018, 10:07 AM
because they still think they're europeans

Krivich
07-21-2018, 03:40 PM

I did not know that the Poles well think about the Russians. I thought that the Poles were aggressive towards Russians and Russia.
Little Russians called Ukrainians. The Ukrainians were part of the Russian people. The Poles of the Little Russians were renamed Ukrainians. I have a good attitude towards Ukrainians, but I think that Eastern Ukraine is still Russian, and Western Ukrainians are separate people. Poland will not become a small Russia,the Poles were never part of the Russian world.

Grand Admiral Thrawn
02-18-2021, 01:44 PM
My understanding is that I believe it came to be a disrespectful term when you refer to the region of "Eastern Europe" which is stereo-typically poorer and less developed than the West. Thus they feel embarassed when they are reminded they come from the said region which was under-former soviet control, what most people don't realize though is that although Eastern Europe, including the Balkans is poorer than the West. At least they kept and retained their culture which the West has lost in favour of multi-multiculturalism which fundamentally does not work.

Linebacker
02-18-2021, 06:12 PM
Poles on the forum have always been weird and very disconnected from actual Poles IRL.

Moje ime
02-18-2021, 06:19 PM
Because they need education. I'm going to educate now Poles on this forum and tell them they are purest Eastern Europeans. So Eastern that it is unmovable and unchangable forever. They can kiss German ass as much as they
want but they are Eastern and that means inferior to all Germans and to South Slavs because South Slavs had Yugoslavia and they had Iron Curtain. That fucked them forever.

I won't even say what Yugoslav thought about them during communism I guess they know that. They were and are more Eastern than Russians.

Radomir
02-18-2021, 06:21 PM
Because they need education. I'm going to educate now Poles on this forum and tell them they are purest Eastern Europeans. So Eastern that it is unmovable and unchangable forever. They can kiss German ass as much as they
want but they are Eastern and that means inferior to all Germans and to South Slavs because South Slavs had Yugoslavia and they had Iron Curtain. That fucked them forever.

I won't even say what Yugoslav thought about them during communism I guess they know that. They were and are more Eastern than Russians.

yes, you are Balkan Turkish culture btw

Moje ime
02-18-2021, 06:22 PM
yes, you are Balkan Turkish culture btw

Hi Ulev.

Radomir
02-18-2021, 06:23 PM
Hi Ulev.

don't speak, just kiss me

Moje ime
02-18-2021, 06:33 PM
I'm waiting now for Rethel to explain how they are superior because they have something called a haploblablagroup R1a while they still shit in their pants from both sides, Germans and Russians. :lol:

Multicolor
02-18-2021, 06:39 PM
Weil sie Deutschland ein westliches Land nennen

Satem
02-18-2021, 06:40 PM
Because they need education. I'm going to educate now Poles on this forum and tell them they are purest Eastern Europeans. So Eastern that it is unmovable and unchangable forever. They can kiss German ass as much as they want but they are Eastern and that means inferior to all Germans and to South Slavs because South Slavs had Yugoslavia and they had Iron Curtain. That fucked them forever.

I thought East is direction but it seems it's just inferiority to South Slavs and Germans. Teach us more oh senpai:rolleyes:

Tell something more, because you didn't give any argument except Iron Curtain, but it wouldn't justify "more eastern than Russians" so you either have more arguments or you don't have idea what are you talking about. Or simply I don't understand what do you mean cause I'm not reading in people's minds(such a shame) so I need explanation.

Radimir
02-18-2021, 06:41 PM
Why would they? Eastern Europe is cool. Indo-Europeans, R1a, Russia, Grand Theft Auto IV.etc Much to be proud of.

Terminator98
02-18-2021, 06:45 PM
When I see Slavs (east/west/south) fighting between themselves (everyone vs everyone basically) I understand why we were (and still are) cucked by westerners, sadly.

Dušan
02-18-2021, 06:46 PM
I'm waiting now for Rethel to explain how they are superior because they have something called a haploblablagroup R1a while they still shit in their pants from both sides, Germans and Russians. :lol:

Sorry, but what happend?

Poles are very friendly toward us, I dont see why are you insulting them?
Wheter they they want or not want to be called Eastern European, its not our bussiness.

Moje ime
02-18-2021, 06:50 PM
Sorry, but what happend?

Poles are very friendly toward us, I dont see why are you insulting them?
Wheter they they want or not want to be called Eastern European, its not our bussiness.

See, naive Serbs, always for unity with friends and "friends". Find me that honesty among Poles or any others? Nope.

Nothing, Dusane, just troll big cleaning, nothing else.

Aldaris
02-18-2021, 07:16 PM

Seems like you're the one bothered with the term. Saying stuff like

they are Eastern and that means inferior to all Germans and to South Slavs,

doesn't really give you much credit. If you were from some alien hellhole, I would follow with some nasty stuff - I won't do that in here, since I like Serbs just as I do Poles. Just gonna keep it personal - shut the fuck up and realize that me, you and most of the Poles are on the same side. Save your lash-outs elsewhere.

Insuperable
02-18-2021, 07:21 PM

What do you mean by 'forever'? The last time I checked, despite the iron curtain, Poland is in a better situation than any South Slav country except Slovenia.

Moje ime
02-18-2021, 07:35 PM

doesn't really give you much credit. If you were from some alien hellhole, I would follow with some nasty stuff - I won't do that in here, since I like Serbs just as I do Poles. Just gonna keep it personal - shut the fuck up and realize that me, you and most of the Poles are on the same side. Save your lash-outs elsewhere.

I don't care for any "credit" on this place ;)

Whenever I come here I see another one trolling thread about Serbs. I suggest them to start trolling Poles and Czech now. That will still keep forum alive and "educative".

Moje ime
02-18-2021, 07:36 PM
What do you mean by 'forever'? The last time I checked, despite the iron curtain, Poland is in a better situation than any South Slav country except Slovenia.

State of mind as consequence is unchangable.

Aldaris
02-18-2021, 08:03 PM
I don't care for any "credit" on this place ;)

That doesn't mean you should gonna ditch your integrity, hun.

Whenever I come here I see another one trolling thread about Serbs. I suggest them to start trolling Poles and Czech now. That will still keep forum alive and "educative".

That'd be a chicken's way out. Anyway - noone's saying that trolling Serbs is ok, and neither does it go for the Czechs and Poles. Anyhow. Whenever you see 'trolling about Serbs', cut that down, yeah, but don't bring the other nations up which have little to no do with your one.

Tooting Carmen
02-18-2021, 08:05 PM
Yes I remember one Polish woman I worked with in an internship vigorously corrected me by saying Poland was Central European, not Eastern European.

Moje ime
02-18-2021, 09:06 PM
That doesn't mean you should gonna ditch your integrity, hun.

That'd be a chicken's way out. Anyway - noone's saying that trolling Serbs is ok, and neither does it go for the Czechs and Poles. Anyhow. Whenever you see 'trolling about Serbs', cut that down, yeah, but don't bring the other nations up which have little to no do with your one.

Next time they troll Serbs come and be so protective towards them like you are now, ok? It seems like I suspected, it is just usual thing to trol Serbs but for others it is scandalous.

Dandelion
02-18-2021, 09:20 PM

Imagine if she were Flemish. You'd have given her hell. ;)

Jugosloven
02-20-2021, 01:15 AM
Eastern, West, Southern... I never hear that these divisions among Europeans exist until now, imagine someone hate being from East part.. What? Let me tell you something while you all arguing here who is more Northern and Southern the Migrants are knocking on your doors..

Rethel
02-21-2021, 11:20 AM
Ironically Rethel speaks better sovietish

First rule of war: know your enemy!

Jana
02-21-2021, 11:24 AM
In not so distant future, when western Europe goes down the toilet, people will be "dying" to be associated with eastern Europe. It will be new pinnacle of whitness and Europeaness.

Rethel
02-21-2021, 11:28 AM
It will be new pinnacle of whitness and Europeaness.

And aRoneness... :p

Rethel
02-21-2021, 11:33 AM
My understanding is that I believe it came to be a disrespectful term when you refer to the region of "Eastern Europe" which is stereo-typically poorer and less developed than the West. Thus they feel embarassed when they are reminded they come from the said region which was under-former soviet control, what most people don't realize though is that although Eastern Europe, including the Balkans is poorer than the West. At least they kept and retained their culture which the West has lost in favour of multi-multiculturalism which fundamentally does not work.

It is just about a simple fact.
Poland is placed in the center Europe. Period.
So, saying, that Poland is in eastern Europe is a lie.

Tauromachos
02-21-2021, 11:37 AM
Because Poland has been for to long under Russian Banner

Satem
02-21-2021, 05:15 PM
In not so distant future, when western Europe goes down the toilet, people will be "dying" to be associated with eastern Europe. It will be new pinnacle of whitness and Europeaness.

Very unlikely lol
Eastern Europe will fall in such case just a few years later period

Rethel
02-21-2021, 07:13 PM
Very unlikely lol
Eastern Europe will fall in such case just a few years later period

In reality, the whole World is going down in the same time.
The only hope is God's Kingdom, so Jesus Christ is returning soon. Amen.

michal3141
02-27-2021, 09:17 PM
Don't know why. Probably we don't want to be associated with Russia because of vodka, cheeki breeki and stuff.

Well. Geographically we are Central Europeans. Genetically we are in between Central and North-Eastern Balto-Slavic. Culturally we are Rzeczpospolita the First.

NSXD60
02-27-2021, 09:26 PM
The Genghis factor?

michal3141
02-27-2021, 09:32 PM
The Genghis factor?

According to some conspiracy theorists all R1a is Hun(G)Aryan.

brennus dux gallorum
02-27-2021, 09:42 PM
Don't know why. Probably we don't want to be associated with Russia because of vodka, cheeki breeki and stuff.

Well. Geographically we are Central Europeans. Genetically we are in between Central and North-Eastern Balto-Slavic. Culturally we are Rzeczpospolita the First.

Vodka is Russian as much as it is Scandinavian

michal3141
02-27-2021, 09:48 PM
Vodka is Russian as much as it is Scandinavian

Of course vodka is not only Russian. Still I think there is special stereotype of celebration of vodka in Russia some Poles don't want to be associated with.

Lucas
03-03-2021, 08:34 PM
Of course vodka is not only Russian. Still I think there is special stereotype of celebration of vodka in Russia some Poles don't want to be associated with.

Personally I like more 70% tincture based on 95% alcohol than vodka which tastes like shit. I made by yourself, recently for example with cranberries, honey.

TheMaestro
03-03-2021, 08:36 PM
Simple, east is epitome of backward areas for westerners.

Peterski
03-03-2021, 09:12 PM

But these are some of the things that make Russia so interesting, strong and popular in the world.

Aren't we deliberately choosing to be boring if we don't want to be associated with cheeki breeki?

Satem
03-03-2021, 09:36 PM
Aren't we deliberately choosing to be boring if we don't want to be associated with cheeki breeki?

Nah, we can still make disco polo a la mode in more places:rolleyes:

We had one fake "Chinese emperor" already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtKumD3wYiM

KirillMazur
03-03-2021, 10:43 PM
Of course vodka is not only Russian.
The problem of the discoverer of vodka was best solved in France: Russian vodka is called vodka, and Polish is called wodka:). In any case, there are differences in the technology - in Poland they like to use potatoes to get pure spirit, and in Russia - wheat, rye or barley.

magicalM
03-04-2021, 11:18 AM
Hungarians share the same opinion. It is partly has to do with generalizing Eastern Europeans as one. And excluding cultural traits that are both western and Eastern European. When talking about exclusive products for example. Nobody knew what Tokaj is. Only when they first bought it in the national state operas restaurant (30 dollars) for half a bottle.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

Peterski
03-04-2021, 11:27 PM
vodka which tastes like shit

Shame on you maybe you just drink shittty vodka? Stumbras has amazing taste:

https://alkoholehurtowo.pl/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/sthumbras-centenary.jpg