PDA

View Full Version : How many scripts (alphabets) can you read?

Absinthe
02-24-2009, 02:02 PM
I love learning different scripts!

I can read the latin script (of course), and I include the swedish and finnish alphabets under this category, even though there are special characters (å, ö, ä).

I can read the greek script (of course :rolleyes:), which looks like:

Η ελληνική γλώσσα είναι μία από τις ινδοευρωπαϊκές γλώσσες, για την οποία έχουμε γραπτά κείμενα από τον 15ο αιώνα π.Χ. μέχρι σήμερα. Αποτελεί το μοναδικό μέλος ενός κλάδου της ινδοευρωπαϊκής οικογένειας γλωσσών. Ανήκει επίσης στον βαλκανικό γλωσσικό δεσμό.

I also can read the Devanagari script which is used for several Hindu languages, sanskrit included.

लक्ष्मीर्वसति जिह्वाग्रे।
जिह्वाग्रे मित्रबान्धवा:।
जिह्वाग्रे बन्धनं प्राप्तंजिह्वाग्रे मरणं ध्रुवम्।

^ If one understands Devenagari, then with some effort it's not too hard to read the Bengali script (http://www.omniglot.com/writing/bengali.htm) as well.

I can also understand the Cyrillic script most of the times, without even trying. Many of its letters are common with greek. I want to practice a bit so I can understand all of the letters and combinations.

Есть человек, есть проблема. Нет человека, нет проблемы.

:D

I would like to learn as many as possible. Especially the Arabic and the Chinese ones are intriguing, because I get so pissed off looking at signs and inscriptions at the immigrants areas and shops, and not understand what they're writing.
It feels like they're conspiring underneath our noses. :p

Red Skull
02-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Latin, Cyrillic, Hebrew, Arabic, Japanese and Greek to an extent.

Treffie
02-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Besides Latin, I can read Cyrillic, Greek (with difficulty) and Mkhedruli.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgian_alphabet#Mkhedruli_.28.22cavalry.22_or_.2 2military.22.29.2C_the_current.2C_originally_secul ar_alphabet

Never got round to learning any of them though - only a couple of sentences here and there.

Absinthe
02-24-2009, 02:31 PM
:eek: WTF is Mkhedruli? :D

[edit] I see! I was always intrigued by this one. Doesn't it look like Clingon language? :p

Treffie
02-24-2009, 02:34 PM
:eek: WTF is Mkhedruli? :D

[edit] I see! I was always intrigued by this one. Doesn't it look like Clingon language? :p

It's so easy to learn, you could probably pick it up in a day or two!:thumb001:

Osweo
02-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Good fun, isn't it! And a bit like learning secret codes...

I can read the latin script (of course), and I include the swedish and finnish alphabets under this category, even though there are special characters (å, ö, ä).
Bet you can't read this application of it:
Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn anwyl i fi, Gwlad beirdd a chantorion enwogion o fri, or however it's spelt. :wink
The Latin alphabet's terrible - there are as many orthographies as there are languages, almost!

I can read the greek script (of course :rolleyes:),
Try this Latin form;
wj mousotrafhj kai taj para epistatai lexeij, oide thn twn qewn dialekton, olde ta twn qewn (onomata), wj upo mouswn katapneomenoj. qelwn o poihtnj deixai oti mousolhptoj estin, ou monon ta twn anqrwpwn onomata epaggelletai eidenai all wsper kai oi qeoi legousi :eek:

That's what it looks like on Northvegr's online Grimm book! :p Awful, trying to remember that 'q' is a theta, and 'j' is a sigma!

I can also understand the Cyrillic script most of the times, without even trying. Many of its letters are common with greek. I want to practice a bit so I can understand all of the letters and combinations.
I'm in the same position, but from the other direction, if you see what I mean. There are some rather horrific versions of Cyrillic out in Turkestan that are difficult, though, as you can see on the side of food packaging in the Sovietosphere for Kazakhstan and Mongolia and so on. They put all sorts of squiggly tails on the normal letters. Kyrill and Mefodiy must be turning in their graves. (Actually, these brothers invented the very different, and rather impractical Glagolitic script. Modern 'Cyrillic' is a later Bulgarian innovation, based on Greek, with a few made up letters and one taken from Hebrew)

I would like to learn as many as possible. Especially the Arabic and the Chinese ones are intriguing, because I get so pissed off looking at signs and inscriptions at the immigrants areas and shops, and not understand what they're writing.
Here's one from a shop near me:
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3023/20090202jan0001.jpg
I know some of their letters (not all, those odd 'hollow' sounds confuse me), and it doesn't seem to be anything simple like Salam aleikum, or Allahu Akbar or whatever... :confused: Any ideas, anyone?

I know the Latin alphabet, Greek, Cyrillic, Ogham, Runes, Georgian and Armenian scripts. The last two are useful, nobody knows them near enough, and if you write using English grammar, Irish words and Armenian letters, there's probably only about a half dozen people in the world who can understand your secret notes! :p

Treffie
02-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Bet you can't read this application of it:
Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn anwyl i fi, Gwlad beirdd a chantorion enwogion o fri, or however it's spelt. :wink

You're getting very cheeky Mr Oswiu!! :D

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn anwyl i fi, Gwlad beirdd a chantorion enwogion o fri

In Georgian

მაი ხენ უულად ვუ ნჰადაი უნ ანოილ ი ვი, გუულა ბაირდჰ ა ხანტორიონ, ენუუოგიონ ო ვრი

(more or less, anyway!)

Absinthe
02-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Try this Latin form;
wj mousotrafhj kai taj para epistatai lexeij, oide thn twn qewn dialekton, olde ta twn qewn (onomata), wj upo mouswn katapneomenoj. qelwn o poihtnj deixai oti mousolhptoj estin, ou monon ta twn anqrwpwn onomata epaggelletai eidenai all wsper kai oi qeoi legousi :eek:

Isn't that from the Iliad? :)

edit: no it's not. I just realized that "j" is used in place of the greek s (ς). :p It looks more modern.

Osweo
02-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Besides Latin, I can read Cyrillic, Greek (with difficulty) and Mkhedruli.
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/8592/ggggggggg.png
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/1650/mkkkeekh.png

Treffie
02-24-2009, 03:01 PM
^It's filtered with me Oswiu, all I can see is red crosses on white boxes!:(

Osweo
02-24-2009, 03:05 PM
^It's filtered with me Oswiu, all I can see is red crosses on white boxes!:(

Curses! :( Took me a good three minutes of my busy workday too! :mad:

Go home or to your mate's house or summat and read it there!

Absinthe
02-24-2009, 03:08 PM
...or simply attach them ;)

Red Skull
02-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Here's one from a shop near me:
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3023/20090202jan0001.jpg
I know some of their letters (not all, those odd 'hollow' sounds confuse me), and it doesn't seem to be anything simple like Salam aleikum, or Allahu Akbar or whatever... :confused: Any ideas, anyone?
Well, I can't say for sure but it looks like a stylized form of the Takbir (Allāhu Akbar). The sign has the special ligature for Allah (ﷲ). But it can also be written as الله أكبر.

Eldritch
02-24-2009, 03:52 PM
I'd say I can read 1.75 alphabets. The Latin one obviously, and while I don't speak Russian, I can read it pretty well. It's just the six kinds of different "s" sounds that I find mystifying. :coffee:

Red Skull
02-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Oswiu, I just asked an Arabic friend of mine and she confirmed it. It is the Takbir.

Psychonaut
02-24-2009, 09:24 PM
Let's see...

I can, of course, read latin derived scripts. I can also read Greek and Hebrew, thanks to my Biblical studies in college. I can read most Runic scripts (Elder Futhark, Younger Futhark, Anglo-Saxon Futhorc). Finally, if you can call Chinese a script, I can, to a degree, read both the short-form and long-form characters in Mandarin.

YggsVinr
02-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Latin, evidently, also the various Runic alphabets (elder, younger, Anglo-Saxon), and Greek. Cyrillic is kind of a (slow) work in progress.

Loyalist
02-26-2009, 01:52 AM
Latin obviously, and I'm fairly well versed with Cyrillic.

Azvarohi
03-13-2009, 12:04 AM
I can read Latin and Cyrillic alphabets fluent. I´ve taught myself Devangari and Arabic to some extent (Devangari better than Arabic).

Barreldriver
03-13-2009, 01:46 AM
I can read Futhorc if that counts, I'm getting the hang of it, I'm most familiar with the Anglo-Saxon type, but I often mix and match when I rush things though it's not too big of a difference between the types. lol I'm insane.

RoyBatty
03-14-2009, 02:56 PM

I also can read the Devanagari script which is used for several Hindu languages, sanskrit included.

^ If one understands Devenagari, then with some effort it's not too hard to read the Bengali script (http://www.omniglot.com/writing/bengali.htm) as well.

I can read Latin of course and Cyrillic.

Cheeky devushka! :D

Vargtand
03-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Bloody over achievers.. I can't read anything :/ which might be evident in the way I reply.

Osweo
03-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Cheeky devushka! :D
To quote the same chap Absinthe did -
Takikh zhenschin ne byvalo, i ne moglo byt', v staroe vremya! :wink

Äike
04-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Latin and Cyrillic.

The Lawspeaker
04-17-2009, 05:29 PM
2. Latin and my own handwriting- which is a script in itself...:coffee:

Tabiti
04-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Latin and Cyrillic (and some runes).

Óttar
04-28-2009, 12:48 AM
Latin and Devanagari. Trying to learn the Perso-Arabic. The Shah's son won't be triumphant and reconquer Iran anytime soon, so unfortunately I'm stuck having to learn the script if I want to read Persian.

Psychonaut
04-28-2009, 08:01 AM
Devanagari.

Back when I was intently studying Tantrism, I made a few attempts at learning the Devanagari script. I was met with less than stellar success. Good on you for conquering all of those consonant clusters! :thumb001:

Lulletje Rozewater
04-28-2009, 08:08 AM

I only know ONE script: The Spartan way ie. If you can not decipher,burn it.
When I hear Zulu around me,I too have that feeling of uncertainty,but then I smile and say:"Nice,really nice" and walk away before I get counter questioned.

Absinthe
04-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Back when I was intently studying Tantrism, I made a few attempts at learning the Devanagari script. I was met with less than stellar success. Good on you for conquering all of those consonant clusters! :thumb001:
It is actually much easier than it seems at first :)

Tabiti
04-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Latin and Cyrillic (and some runes).
Forgot that during my Math, Mechanics and Physics classes I learnt almost the whole Greek alphabet as well...

Comte Arnau
07-30-2009, 05:04 PM
Latin (in several adaptations), Greek, Cyrillic (in cursive too), Arabic, Korean, the Japanese kanas and some Hebrew. I also identify a few basic Chinese characters and kanjis, but I can't read Chinese. I used to know the tengwar when I was a teen, but they're forgotten.

Atlas
07-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Latin script of course but that's very much all I know. French and tongues when it's not about French kiss sucks. :p

Lysander
07-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Two.

Anyone with half a brain cell can figure out which ;).