PDA

View Full Version : 2011 World Figure Skating Championships

mymy
03-11-2011, 05:30 PM
I know there is still time till competition begin but i think it's not to open thread about in a bit earlier...
The competition will be held from March 21–27, 2011 at the Yoyogi National Gymnasium in Tokyo, Japan.
So, what do you think? Who would you want to win and do you have some predictions? I'm a bit worried that European skaters can do bad this years, many of then retired and Asian skaters getting stronger. This year, European figure skating championship was weaker than previous years :(
What can we expect now?

Motörhead Remember Me
03-11-2011, 05:42 PM
10 gold medals to Kiira Korpi.

mymy
03-11-2011, 05:47 PM

I hope God will hear you, because last years there is dominations of Asian skaters. I think when it's about Europeans, Kiira have good chances, probably more than Carolina. And I don't know what is happening with Russians last years, since Slutskaya went, they don't have any skater who can keep domination... and they always had it.

Eldritch
03-11-2011, 06:03 PM

Kiira hasn't ever been able to perform at her best on two consecutive competition days so far. Of course, that may yet happen, this year or later.

Motörhead Remember Me
03-11-2011, 06:08 PM
She may never win, but she's by far the prettiest thing on skates after Arto Javanainen.

Sturmgewehr
03-11-2011, 06:20 PM
I hope the best wins no matter European or whatever, I was watching FIgure Skating on EuroSport a couple of days ago, looked interesting to me I might watch this coming competition again now.

mymy
03-11-2011, 07:29 PM
I hope the best wins no matter European or whatever, I was watching FIgure Skating on EuroSport a couple of days ago, looked interesting to me I might watch this coming competition again now.

I'm glad you like it. I'm watching every year Europeans and Worlds, already more than 10 years... I watch other competitions too, but when have oportunity, here it is not so popular sport.

Sturmgewehr
03-12-2011, 12:48 AM
I'm glad you like it. I'm watching every year Europeans and Worlds, already more than 10 years... I watch other competitions too, but when have oportunity, here it is not so popular sport.

Since I got my dream Box I have been watching weird sports like Tembersports, Lacrosse which is actually not a sport but an Excuse to fight and so on and on.

I remember I was like 10 back then and that is when I watched FIgure scating for the first time, I liked the couples though more. hehehehe

mymy
03-17-2011, 02:17 AM
This is for all guys on this forum:

j-lsVZZ4NjY

And this is what i enjoyed very much...
AUCr-OyG_jc

mymy
03-17-2011, 02:26 AM
Do you think Europe have good quality pairs who can take gold medal this year? And who are the best in your opinion i this moment?

Let's remember Worlds 2005 Exhibitions... I miss them...

T20dx_XOjqo

mymy
03-22-2011, 05:20 AM
ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2011 – ISU World Team Trophy 2011
21 Mar 2011 07:04

Since the outbreak of the crisis, the ISU was and remains in close contact with the Japan Skating Federation (JSF) who in turn did likewise with the competent Japanese authorities. After having explored all possible options to maintain the 2011 ISU World Figure Skating Championships in Japan, the JSF has now informed the ISU that regretfully and reluctantly they must decline hosting the Championships in Japan. Also, the JSF agreed to the postponement of the ISU World Team Trophy initially scheduled to be held in April 2011 to be held instead in April 2012 in Japan at a place and exact dates to be agreed upon. The ISU agrees with this conclusion.

While the ISU gave priority to find a solution to keep the 2011 ISU World Figure Skating Championship in Japan, the ISU fully understands the JSF decision. As we all struggle to come to terms with the unimaginable tragedies following the monstrous earthquake of March 11, the ISU reiterates its expressions of grief and sympathy to all those affected by loss of life, injury and loss of homes. The ISU admires the resilience, strength of character and faith of the Japanese people in recovering from this tragedy.

In light of this catastrophe, the consequences on sports events and in particular the ISU World Figure Skating Championships and ISU World Team Trophy become relatively secondary. Nevertheless, it is the ISU’s duty to find the best possible solution for a possible rescheduling and relocation of the Events taking into account all points of view.

Based on spontaneous proposals from ISU Member federations received to host the Championships and possibly additional Members who might be interested and available, the ISU Council is evaluating the different options taking into account all relevant aspects and points of view. This primarily involves the tremendous logistical challenge to organize and conduct such major Event on short notice. Also, the Council cannot ignore legal and contractual constraints as well as timing conflicts with other skating or sporting events.

Considering the scope and complexity of the situation, quick evaluations and decisions were and remain extremely difficult to make and the ISU counts on the understanding of the Figure Skating community for taking a minimum but reasonable amount of time to reach conclusions in cooperation with the concerned ISU Members and entities.

The ISU Council is conscious that a solution satisfying all points of view is probably difficult to be achieved and begs all involved for their understanding and cooperation in these truly exceptional circumstances.

An update of the situation will be communicated in the coming days.

Ottavio Cinquanta Fredi Schmid
President Director General

mymy
04-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Russia will be the host of 2011 Figure Skating World Championship after Tokyo was forced to pull out due to the earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan on March 11, the head of Russia's figure skating federation said.
The International Skating Union (ISU) on Thursday sent a letter to the Russian figure skating federation to announce that Russia has officially been chosen to hold the event.
"The decision in favor of Moscow was taken by an absolute majority," federation head Valentin Piseyev said.
After Japan was forced to drop out, Moscow (Russia), Vancouver (Canada), Turku (Finland), Colorado Springs (USA), Graz (Austria) and Zagreb (Croatia) put in immediate bids.
The championship will run from April 25 to May 1.

Schedule

(Moscow time, UTC+4)[34]
Sunday, April 24
Official practices
Monday, April 25
14:00 Qualification round: Men
Tuesday, April 26
12:00 Qualification round: Ice dancing
15:30 Qualification round: Ladies
Wednesday, April 27
13:00 Men's short program
18:30 Pairs short program