PDA

View Full Version : Learning disability/learning difficulty

firemonkey
06-10-2018, 12:45 AM
Learning disabilities are neurologically-based processing problems. These processing problems can interfere with learning basic skills such as reading, writing and/or math. They can also interfere with higher level skills such as organization, time planning, abstract reasoning, long or short term memory and attention. It is important to realize that learning disabilities can affect an individual’s life beyond academics and can impact relationships with family, friends and in the workplace.

https://ldaamerica.org/types-of-learning-disabilities/

In the UK and Europe we tend to call them learning difficulties. Due to my rather significant gap between verbal(better) and

non-verbal(worse) ability(It can also work the other way round) although not diagnosed I'm almost certainly a person with a

learning difficulty. The one that fits me best is non-verbal learning disorder. Additional factors for me are dyspraxia(probable)

and executive functioning difficulties. Nowadays children are more likely to be picked up as having learning difficulties if they

have them. When I was a child though very few people considered those with average or above intelligence could have such

difficulties ,and such children tended to be undiagnosed. This resulted in them not getting the help and support they needed.

Larali
06-10-2018, 01:05 AM
This applies to me.... Despite being "gifted" with a high IQ, I struggled in math, while being in the top 1% in verbal. My parents used to yell at me that I was smart and could do better, and they thought I was being lazy.

In math class, I understood what was being taught, but couldn't replicate it on my own. It was like a foreign language. To this day I can't do mental math or count money, even though I managed to make it through Calc 2 in college (barely)...

Back in the early 80s, kids were either smart, normal, or "retarded"... there was no knowledge of specific learning disabilities, other than ADHD perhaps (which usually, only boys were diagnosed with.)

firemonkey
06-10-2018, 01:22 AM
My verbal vs non-verbal gap is at least 3 SD(SD15) but could be 4 SD.