PDA

View Full Version : Who do Afro-Brazilians feel closer to culturally: Afro Americans or the the Yoruba people?

time67
06-14-2018, 08:55 PM
Obviously, there's a strong Yoruba influence in Brazil but I noticed that a lot of blacks from Canada, the UK, and France are heavily influenced by Afro-American culture. Is that also the case in the black communities of Brazil?

Carlito's Way
06-14-2018, 08:57 PM
Canada and the UK are majority influence by Jamaican culture, in France its majority a mix of African and Afram culture but leaning more towards African culture

time67
06-14-2018, 09:07 PM
Canada and the UK are majority influence by Jamaican culture, in France its majority a mix of African and Afram culture but leaning more towards African culture

I don't know. I have some Black Canadian friends and they seem to follow African American culture much more than Jamaican culture. Maybe in the 90's, Jamaican culture was still popular but, now, Drake and the Weeknd seem much more popular than any dancehall artist from Toronto.

In the UK, they have a genre called "grime" which sounds just like trap music today but with Patois thrown in and it's become really popular.

Carlito's Way
06-14-2018, 09:13 PM
I don't know. I have some Black Canadian friends and they seem to follow African American culture much more than Jamaican culture. Maybe in the 90's, Jamaican culture was still popular but, now, Drake and the Weeknd seem much more popular than any dancehall artist from Toronto.

Black Canadians talk with a Jamaican influence, they do not sound like African Americans at all, they also use heavy Caribbean slang
they do follow African American culture but only when it comes to music, other than that, nothing else

ive been to Canada myself, and their overall major influence has been Caribbeans, not African American

In the UK, they have a genre called "grime" which sounds just like trap music today but with Patois thrown in and it's become really popular.

grime was created by Caribbeans and it contains Caribbean elements
UK are heavily influence by Caribbeans due to their large Jamaican population out there

I think you see the influence because African Americans were influence by Caribbeans especially from Jamaica, Trinidad and such places

Joso
06-14-2018, 09:14 PM
Neither, they feel close to who is next to them, obviously

Carlito's Way
06-14-2018, 09:32 PM
Neither, they feel close to who is next to them, obviously

i would say Yorubas, Yorubas have been visting Bahia over the years and Yorubas have influence Bahia culture

Alvorada Potente
06-15-2018, 03:15 PM
They feel closer to other brazilians for sure.

KMack
06-15-2018, 03:19 PM

That is what I would guess.

Congolese Rice
10-03-2018, 01:59 PM
What do Afro-Brazilians feel most connected to? others of their own kind xD

just the same way a Afro-Caribbean doesnt feel connected to africans, because hes raised in caribbean culture, and not born in Africa, LOL. i consider myself half afro-caribbean too, not 21% west african, 15% ethiopian, 8% moroccan whatever the fuck xD im just a mulatto or afro-caribbean, simple as that. i feel most connected to my own people.

Heather Duval
10-03-2018, 02:01 PM

This.

Token
10-03-2018, 02:22 PM
Out of these, probably Afro-Americans. Heathers is the only Afro-Brazilian here, ask him.

Heather Duval
10-03-2018, 02:30 PM
Out of these, probably Afro-Americans. Heathers is the only Afro-Brazilian here, ask him.

Whats the cultural connection Aframs and Afro Brazilians have?

Heather Duval
10-03-2018, 02:35 PM
We are Latinos, Catholics and speak Portuguese. Our grandparents likes Samba, not Jazz. This religion is very Brazilian
https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?222376-Brazilian-religion-Umbanda-Welcome

Its shared among Afro Brazilians and non black in general. Aframs has nothing to do with us. But I think THERE IN BAHIA, they feel more close to Yoruba people because of their religion that influenced Bahia Candomblé, not Rio. Bahia slangs came from some Yoruba words.

Token
10-03-2018, 02:54 PM
Whats the cultural connection Aframs and Afro Brazilians have?

Both are western Christians, both were heavily influenced by Western European culture, not to mention that middle-class Brazilians in general are very americanized. What more do you want? Now, what are the similarities between Yorubas and Afro-Brazilians?

Heather Duval
10-03-2018, 03:02 PM
Both are western Christians, both were heavily influenced by Western European culture, not to mention that middle-class Brazilians in general are very americanized. What more do you want? Now, what are the similarities between Yorubas and Afro-Brazilians?

In Bahia: Candomblé and their dialects.
In Rio: Nothing.

Token
10-03-2018, 03:06 PM
In Bahia: Candomblé and their dialects.
In Rio: Nothing.

Do you think there are cultural differences between Afro- and Euro-Brazilians from Rio?

Heather Duval
10-03-2018, 03:09 PM
Do you think there are cultural differences between Afro- and Euro-Brazilians from Rio?

Blacks from Rio doesnt have any Afro culture at all. Afro Culture is all in Bahia. Whites and blacks here are usually catholics or from umbanda(umbanda is a brazilian religion a mix of everything, its called the white candomblé). Candomblé is also assimilited to Bahia/Salvador.

Heather Duval
10-03-2018, 03:13 PM
Candomblé is a yoruba religion present in Bahia. Umbanda was created in Brazil, IN RIO by a white man. Its a mix of catholic shits and candomblé and some indigenous believes.

Heather Duval
10-03-2018, 03:15 PM
Rio culture is what put all races here together, and you either from Umbanda or Catholic here. You found whites and black in the Umbanda religion. You rarely see whites in Candomblé, but they do exist. There are no racial difference between cultures in Rio.

Sacrificed Ram
10-03-2018, 03:16 PM
Black american culture is a influence for whole world, gangsta lifestyle is imitated everywhere.

SupaThug
10-03-2018, 03:17 PM
I've never heard any black brazilian commenting on this stuff...I'm pretty sure most of them feel closer to a white brazilian than to any of these two groups

Heather Duval
10-03-2018, 03:20 PM
Ive noticed people in Salvador are always dressing white outfits because of Candomblé and their regional yoruba influenced culture. Ive watched on Globo some Nigerian people went to Bahia about last year or something to reune and talk about their culture

Black Panther
10-03-2018, 07:30 PM

Excuse me?

Black Panther
10-03-2018, 07:33 PM
Between the two, I'd say Afro-Americans. You might find a few pockets of Afro-Brazilians who follow Yoruba religions or customs, but the majority of Afro-Brazilians are more interested in Hip-Hop, Black American celebrities, musicians, the stereotypical Black American lifestyle, things like that. I know little about the Yorubas.

Congolese Rice
10-03-2018, 07:37 PM
Excuse me?

How much SSA do you have again? 20-25%?

Black Panther
10-03-2018, 07:39 PM
How much SSA do you have again? 20-25%?

Yep. There are quite a few Afro-Brazilians who score that amount of SSA.

Congolese Rice
10-03-2018, 07:40 PM
Yep. There are quite a few Afro-Brazilians who score that amount of SSA.

Aight nice bro xD i dont know my exact black SSA percentage but i assume it to be anywhere inbetween 28-36% me being part Moroccan and Ethiopian DEFINITELY doesnt make it easy for me because even ethiopian gets clustered partially into SSA and SW asian if theres a East african component lacking.. so i never know the exact percentage.

but cool bro! xD so a good chunk of Afro-brazilians are quadroon. Lesser are mulattos, and even a smaller percentage are 100% SSA?

Black Panther
10-03-2018, 07:50 PM
Aight nice bro xD i dont know my exact black SSA percentage but i assume it to be anywhere inbetween 28-36% me being part Moroccan and Ethiopian DEFINITELY doesnt make it easy for me because even ethiopian gets clustered partially into SSA and SW asian if theres a East african component lacking.. so i never know the exact percentage.

but cool bro! xD so a good chunk of Afro-brazilians are quadroon. Lesser are mulattos, and even a smaller percentage are 100% SSA?

Most Afro-Brazilians range from Tereceron to Quadroon. A good chunk are mulattoes or griffes. Some very few ones are even octoroon or close to 85-95% SSA (Very rare though).

Congolese Rice
10-03-2018, 07:55 PM
Most Afro-Brazilians range from Tereceron to Quadroon. A good chunk are mulattoes or griffes. Some very few ones are even octoroon or close to 85-95% SSA (Very rare though).

Lmao nice xD it's funny, i am more "afro" than the average Afro-brazilian then but i look less black according to alot of people on average, only a small group of ppl think i actually look mulatto lmao

but thats interesting, the afro'ness' is definitely strong in Brazil it seems xD 7/10 ppl have african blood there, seems like a good place for me to live lmao xD

Black Panther
10-03-2018, 08:00 PM
Lmao nice xD it's funny, i am more "afro" than the average Afro-brazilian then but i look less black according to alot of people on average, only a small group of ppl think i actually look mulatto lmao

but thats interesting, the afro'ness' is definitely strong in Brazil it seems xD 7/10 ppl have african blood there, seems like a good place for me to live lmao xD

You should definitely take some time and visit the country one day. 2 to 3 months would be a good start. Visit a lot of places, big cities, small ones, the countryside, the coast. See what you like best. Now is a good time to travel for people who earn Euros or Dollars. The Real has lost a lot of its value so your money will last longer than it would just a few years back. I myself would love to make a tour through Brazil, Colombia and the Carribean. The rest of Latin America doesn't interest me that much to be honest.

Congolese Rice
10-03-2018, 08:06 PM
You should definitely take some time and visit the country one day. 2 to 3 months would be a good start. Visit a lot of places, big cities, small ones, the countryside, the coast. See what you like best. Now is a good time to travel for people who earn Euros or Dollars. The Real has lost a lot of its value so your money will last longer than it would just a few years back. I myself would love to make a tour through Brazil, Colombia and the Carribean. The rest of Latin America doesn't interest me that much to be honest.

True, if i have the money then ill probably visit Brazil once upon a time. I heard there are fine hoes over there xD and pred. of the women being black admixed will do me good lmao. And yeah true, i would like to visit Jamaica once too, i also have family there.

Infact, i have family everywhere xD I have family in the US (they share my same surname, and everyone with my surname is related to eachother due to slavetrade.) so i think part of my family was brought to the US, to Jamaica, probably Brazil too but i havent seen those yet, and spread all throughout the dutch antilles/west indies.

but yeah, visiting Jamaica, Cape verde, or Ghana is one of my dream destinations so far, i'd love to try authentic african foods.

cuz after my research i realized how important it is to be proud of who you are and your ethnicities, i wouldnt be prouder than to call myself African or Afro-Caribbean. Even despite the fact that according to some people i look quadroon i see the african strongly in me and i am super proud of it now. fuck being arab, screw all dat other shit xD being part of the caribbeans is way more history rich imo and way more interesting.

i think i just let myself get influenced by others that said i didnt look black enough and thus i looked for another ethnicity to closely relate to, and since i dont look super 10/10 european i didnt associate with that either but thats beside the point.

so if you do get children and they are predominantly white, like 87.5% do teach them about your black side, and that they are afro-influenced too xD youll do your ancestors proud.

Tong
10-03-2018, 08:10 PM
obv closest to other afro latin americans. yorubas r far away.

Black Panther
10-03-2018, 08:19 PM
True, if i have the money then ill probably visit Brazil once upon a time. I heard there are fine hoes over there xD and pred. of the women being black admixed will do me good lmao. And yeah true, i would like to visit Jamaica once too, i also have family there.

Infact, i have family everywhere xD I have family in the US (they share my same surname, and everyone with my surname is related to eachother due to slavetrade.) so i think part of my family was brought to the US, to Jamaica, probably Brazil too but i havent seen those yet, and spread all throughout the dutch antilles/west indies.

but yeah, visiting Jamaica, Cape verde, or Ghana is one of my dream destinations so far, i'd love to try authentic african foods.

cuz after my research i realized how important it is to be proud of who you are and your ethnicities, i wouldnt be prouder than to call myself African or Afro-Caribbean. Even despite the fact that according to some people i look quadroon i see the african strongly in me and i am super proud of it now. fuck being arab, screw all dat other shit xD being part of the caribbeans is way more history rich imo and way more interesting.

i think i just let myself get influenced by others that said i didnt look black enough and thus i looked for another ethnicity to closely relate to, and since i dont look super 10/10 european i didnt associate with that either but thats beside the point.

so if you do get children and they are predominantly white, like 87.5% do teach them about your black side, and that they are afro-influenced too xD youll do your ancestors proud.

You'll do well among Brazilian girls. They're very affectionate when compared to most European women. The downside is they are full of drama as well. But I prefer that over the cold-hearted attitude of most women here. Don't bother about anyone telling you who you are. The fact is you can claim to be Afro-Carribean with no problems. That is what you are. I'd be proud of being Afro-Carribean for sure. More than being European or MENA or Amerindian. We are a very peculiar group of people and we weren't even meant to survive after slavery. We fought against all odds and we are still here, not only existing but expanding. I'd like to visit all Afro-Latino and Afro-Anglo spots on the American continent. See where all of my people were scattered throughout those lands. Ultimately, I think the future of Blacks lays in Africa, but we can definitely thrive in the Americas as well and build bridges between our share of the Old and New Worlds.

I will surely teach my kids about their African ancestors no matter how they may look like.

Congolese Rice
10-03-2018, 08:39 PM
You'll do well among Brazilian girls. They're very affectionate when compared to most European women. The downside is they are full of drama as well. But I prefer that over the cold-hearted attitude of most women here. Don't bother about anyone telling you who you are. The fact is you can claim to be Afro-Carribean with no problems. That is what you are. I'd be proud of being Afro-Carribean for sure. More than being European or MENA or Amerindian. We are a very peculiar group of people and we weren't even meant to survive after slavery. We fought against all odds and we are still here, not only existing but expanding. I'd like to visit all Afro-Latino and Afro-Anglo spots on the American continent. See where all of my people were scattered throughout those lands. Ultimately, I think the future of Blacks lays in Africa, but we can definitely thrive in the Americas as well and build bridges between our share of the Old and New Worlds.

I will surely teach my kids about their African ancestors no matter how they may look like.

Thats nice xD and yeah, im pretty much used to that from my OWN family already. Ohhhhh god if you disREfuckingspect a afro-caribbean aunt boy hell breaks fucking loose. Thats why you just always do what they say with no complaining :))))) even if it means walking all the way from your room to hand them the control remote thats on the table infront of them, LOL.

and yeah that's true, i am afro-caribbean and i 100% claim to be so, regardless of being half euro. im definitely proud aswell xD i just wished i would have nappy hair or curlier hair at the least so i would atleast look like a afro-caribbean LMAO.

and yeah that's true, afro descendants are very strong people, i am both mentally and physically very tough compared to other people around me, which is a good thing in live xD you gotta be tough to stay sane and strong.

and yeah bro, id definitely like to visit Africa first though, probably Egypt will be my first destination, then ill go to Ethiopia for the food and culture, then to the Swahili coast of Tanzania and Mozambique. then i'll go to Rwanda or something in that area, and then Ghana and the rest of West Africa lmao.

but still, i do hope my hair texture reverts back to the way it was before, its not that i am insecure about it, its just annoying being called mexican looking, or arab looking every other day meanwhile i have 0% to do with those people, like LITERALLY 0%.

i have no drop of mayan blood in me, nor spanish, nor saudi arabian or levantine xD only Moroccan gets close to that.

and nice, you betta lmao. black pride always xD thats why i will marry a African woman or a Afro-Caribbean. my kids will be black, and they will carry my african surname.

Heather Duval
10-03-2018, 08:45 PM
I cant stand wannabe niggas

Congolese Rice
10-03-2018, 08:58 PM
I cant stand wannabe niggas

i cant stand wanna-be women wanna-be blackies (yous a octoroon remember)

xD

https://t4.rbxcdn.com/d9d279ac6a67e5288624a2f2dc5782ee

thats a major L for you, tranny xD

Heather Duval
10-03-2018, 09:01 PM
i cant stand wanna-be women wanna-be blackies (yous a octoroon remember)

xD

https://t4.rbxcdn.com/d9d279ac6a67e5288624a2f2dc5782ee

thats a major L for you, tranny xD
U never saw me lol
Im not ocshit

Congolese Rice
10-03-2018, 09:06 PM
U never saw me lol
Im not ocshit

well neither am i a wanna-be black nigga, yo gay ass always looking for attention whether it be negative or positive attention. You getting way old xD go bother your parents or family instead of this forum with your personal insecurities and problems

Token
10-03-2018, 09:13 PM
Excuse me?
You are less than 25% African, that is very far from what we consider 'Afro'. Here in Brazil, you need to be at least 40% West African according to recent studies.

Congolese Rice
10-03-2018, 09:15 PM
You are less than 25% African, that is very far from what we consider 'Afro'. Here in Brazil, you need to be at least 40% West African according to recent studies.

... Does 36% black african pass? :( no?.. ok ill leave

https://i.imgflip.com/1y1b3y.jpg

Heather Duval
10-03-2018, 09:16 PM
well neither am i a wanna-be black nigga, yo gay ass always looking for attention whether it be negative or positive attention. You getting way old xD go bother your parents or family instead of this forum with your personal insecurities and problems
I love attention because I have boderline. I feel impulsive/sad when im not the focus.

Black Panther
10-03-2018, 09:17 PM
Thats nice xD and yeah, im pretty much used to that from my OWN family already. Ohhhhh god if you disREfuckingspect a afro-caribbean aunt boy hell breaks fucking loose. Thats why you just always do what they say with no complaining :))))) even if it means walking all the way from your room to hand them the control remote thats on the table infront of them, LOL.

and yeah that's true, i am afro-caribbean and i 100% claim to be so, regardless of being half euro. im definitely proud aswell xD i just wished i would have nappy hair or curlier hair at the least so i would atleast look like a afro-caribbean LMAO.

and yeah that's true, afro descendants are very strong people, i am both mentally and physically very tough compared to other people around me, which is a good thing in live xD you gotta be tough to stay sane and strong.

and yeah bro, id definitely like to visit Africa first though, probably Egypt will be my first destination, then ill go to Ethiopia for the food and culture, then to the Swahili coast of Tanzania and Mozambique. then i'll go to Rwanda or something in that area, and then Ghana and the rest of West Africa lmao.

but still, i do hope my hair texture reverts back to the way it was before, its not that i am insecure about it, its just annoying being called mexican looking, or arab looking every other day meanwhile i have 0% to do with those people, like LITERALLY 0%.

i have no drop of mayan blood in me, nor spanish, nor saudi arabian or levantine xD only Moroccan gets close to that.

and nice, you betta lmao. black pride always xD thats why i will marry a African woman or a Afro-Caribbean. my kids will be black, and they will carry my african surname.

Visiting Africa is a must-do in my list of goals. Ghana, Nigeria are on the top of my list, but I also want to go to Kenya, Ethiopia as well as Angola and Mozambique.

Black Panther
10-03-2018, 09:20 PM

LOL. Ask most users here if I Black or Afro-descendant and they'll confirm it. Also, many people may very well consider me Afro-Brazilian nowadays, even the darkest of my bretheren.

Congolese Rice
10-03-2018, 09:21 PM
Visiting Africa is a must-do in my list of goals. Ghana, Nigeria are on the top of my list, but I also want to go to Kenya, Ethiopia as well as Angola and Mozambique.

Yeah man, in general africa is bootiful asf xD in general, never forget your roots lmao

i am only 30-36% black african, yet i feel very connected to the little percentages i have xD (i consider 36% small because its nothing compared to my euro, lol. 54% definitely towers over that) but yeah, its definitely something to be proud of imo.

i have ancestry from Ghana, Senegal/Guinea, Nigeria, Oromo Ethiopians, Congolese/Angolans, and also Mozambiquans i think. Ofcourse also moroccans but that belongs to my caucasoid percentage technically since its not black african.

so that made me think i could possibly have a Fulani ancestor.

the only West africans i know that could carry Amazigh genes are Hausa and Fulani's. And i usually score alot of Fulani so i'd like to visit the places where they reside aswell (almost entirety of west africa, LOL)

Congolese Rice
10-03-2018, 09:23 PM
LOL. Ask most users here if I Black or Afro-descendant and they'll confirm it. Also, many people may very well consider me Afro-Brazilian nowadays, even the darkest of my bretheren.

Yeh, i wouldnt take everything he says 100% seriously tbh, it will only end up making yourself heated over nothing and i noticed that xD

he firmly believes i am 70%> euro, meanwhile more tests proof me to be in the 54-58% range. to me, its not a big deal anymore.

i consider you a afro-caribbean. 25% is the minimum of black heritage you should have to be considered afro-descendant in my book, lmao.

Token
10-03-2018, 09:24 PM
You are Afro-descendant, no doubt about that, but not Black.

75% European is too much, sorry. Maybe you can find acceptance in one of those Black movements.

Congolese Rice
10-03-2018, 09:28 PM

75% European is too much, sorry. Maybe you can find acceptance in one of those Black movements.

i agree that he's not black, but hes sure as hell a afro-descendant. 25% black blood is alot, if you actually think about it more deeply and realize that 1/4 of your body is actually black influenced thats quite alot. same in my case, 1/3+ is a whole lot but its not enough to be considered black and i respect that.

Black Panther
10-15-2018, 08:22 PM

Ofc I am Black. If you show anyone these pictures they will confirm I am Afro-Latino.

https://i.imgur.com/IDxyw7p.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qJpshUx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jI21GaO.jpg

Token
11-25-2018, 11:59 AM
Ofc I am Black. If you show anyone these pictures they will confirm I am Afro-Latino.

https://i.imgur.com/IDxyw7p.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qJpshUx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jI21GaO.jpg
Looks like a dark Scandinavian.