PDA

View Full Version : Sugaring off

Aemma
02-25-2009, 01:24 PM
Sugaring off

Spring is in the air! The days grow a little longer, the sun is a little warmer, and the snow is starting to melt. Soon the trees will be in bud and the birds will be winging their way back north. Nights are still cold, though, and conditions are perfect for the maple sap to rise.

It's a seasonal ritual in Québec. As soon as the moon is right, or the wind from the southwest blows a certain way, the maple syrup producers head into the sugar bush and begin tapping their trees. The buckets fill with a sweetish, watery liquid that will be boiled down to make the delicately flavoured syrup everyone loves on pancakes.

In the sugar shack

Don't for a moment think that maple syrup is just for breakfast. The Indians used it to cook venison; later, the French pioneers added it to all kinds of dishes they cooked up on wood fires. Today, the whole family gathers in late March and early April at the sugar shack, where groaning tables are laden with the traditional "cabane à sucre" foods: pea soup, baked beans, maple-cured ham, "oreilles de crisse" (fried strips of salt pork), omelettes, and maple-sweetened desserts like sugar pie, crepes and "grands-pères" (dumplings poached in maple syrup). Then everyone goes outside for the traditional hot maple taffy, served on a bed of fresh snow and scooped up with wooden sticks.

The syrup starts as a watery sap that's collected drop by drop by little spouts inserted directly into the tree trunk. Originally, buckets were hung from the spouts; as they filled, they would be emptied into huge barrels carted through the forest on horse-drawn sleds. Today, most modern operations use an ingenious system of plastic piping that siphons the sap into an evaporator, where the water is boiled away. Absolutely nothing is added to the precious nectar. It takes about 40 litres of sap to make one litre of pure syrup, but the delicious golden liquid is well worth the trouble.

There are many maple syrup operations not far from Québec's major cities, and all welcome visitors at sugaring off time. In addition to featuring lots of hearty food, the "cabane à sucre" recreates the spirit of earlier times with traditional music, dancing and merrymaking.

Sugaring off time is the perfect occasion for a sleigh ride, a tromp through the woods or a stop at one of Québec's famous maple festivals, like the one at Saint-Georges, in the Beauce (Chaudière-Appalaches).

How very sweet it is!

Source: http://www.bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/erablieres0.html

I'm a lucky one: we have a sugar shack not even an 8-minute drive from our house. :)

Oh comme j'aime la cabane à sucre!!! :D

Et comme j'ai hâte que le printemps s'annoncera bientôt! Accouche pour qu'on baptise, comme on dit! :p

:D...Aemma

Tolleson
02-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Puts a whole new meaning to "Pour some sugar on me." :thumb001:

Tolleson
02-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Don't forget....Maple Mead on the way.:yippee

YggsVinr
02-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Oh wow, this is actually a little sad because this is the first year my family won't be making maple syrup, or at least as much as we used to make since I think we'll only be tapping one or two trees and boiling it on the stove this year:( What the hell am I going to put on my cereal in the mornings, now, I've never purchased maple syrup in my life! :confused: Once you've been bred on real maple syrup you can't turn to the store bought stuff. Plus it needs to be local, everyone knows eastern Ontarian syrop is better than in Québec :D

J'adore le temps des érables! Je me rappelle quand moi pis mon cousin était p'tits pis on grimpait partout sur le toit de la cabane à suc' en lançant des balles de neiges su'a tête de mon cousin Joel qui nous chassait partout avec son skidoo :P Et comme j'aimerais manger un beau morceau de tarte au suc' ou boire un verre d'eau d'érable :D J'espère qu'on fera au moin un p'tit peu cette année.

Aemma
02-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Oh wow, this is actually a little sad because this is the first year my family won't be making maple syrup, or at least as much as we used to make since I think we'll only be tapping one or two trees and boiling it on the stove this year:( What the hell am I going to put on my cereal in the mornings, now, I've never purchased maple syrup in my life! :confused: Once you've been bred on real maple syrup you can't turn to the store bought stuff. Plus it needs to be local, everyone knows eastern Ontarian syrop is better than in Québec :D

J'adore le temps des érables! Je me rappelle quand moi pis mon cousin était p'tits pis on grimpait partout sur le toit de la cabane à suc' en lançant des balles de neiges su'a tête de mon cousin Joel qui nous chassait partout avec son skidoo :P Et comme j'aimerais manger un beau morceau de tarte au suc' ou boire un verre d'eau d'érable :D J'espère qu'on fera au moin un p'tit peu cette année.

LOL! Se faire chasser en skidoo...ya pas plus canadien qu'ça! :p

Oui, je connaissais une jeune femme qui venait du coin de Hawkesbury qui m'disait qu'elle buvait l'eau d'érable aussi. On n'a pas l'opportunité d'faire ça icitte si t'a pas tes propres érables. Ça doit goûter bon en câline! :)

Ouin...j'ai hâte faut dire. :)

Bein, j'espère que tu en auras du beau sirop cette annee YV. Tes parents ont cessé d'en faire, c'est ça qui s'passe ou quoi?

:)...Aemma

Frigga
02-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Sounds like fun! I read an article a few weeks ago in my paper very similar to this one. I hope to go visit one someday, it sounds like it would be a real treat! :D

Treffie
02-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Oui, je connaissais une jeune femme qui venait du coin de Hawkesbury qui m'disait qu'elle buvait l'eau d'érable aussi.

Ou est Hawkesbury Aemma, Montreal?

Edit: Je sais ou est il!

Thorum
02-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Wow, sounds romantic and tasty at the same time!! :thumb001:

Allenson
02-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Nice! I make maple syrup. While Quebec it the world's leading producer, Vermont is number one in the US.

It's coming certainly but we have a bit of winter to get through yet. The sugar maples on my land (at least the ones with southerly exposure) usually start to run during the third week of March and the colder, north facing trees run until the end of the third week in April (weather depending, of course).

Here are a couple of my different grades from last year (yeah, I'm showing off a bit ;) ):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2125/2402704963_00ee3905b4.jpg

Gooding
02-26-2009, 12:20 AM
I honestly didn't know that sugaring offs still existed..thank you, Aemma :)

Aemma
02-26-2009, 01:56 AM
Nice! I make maple syrup. While Quebec it the world's leading producer, Vermont is number one in the US.

It's coming certainly but we have a bit of winter to get through yet. The sugar maples on my land (at least the ones with southerly exposure) usually start to run during the third week of March and the colder, north facing trees run until the end of the third week in April (weather depending, of course).

Here are a couple of my different grades from last year (yeah, I'm showing off a bit ;) ):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2125/2402704963_00ee3905b4.jpg

Ohh you lucky man! I know it's hard work but wow, the rewards of being able to tap your own trees would be marvellous I'm sure. :) Ohh I can't wait for the sap to start flowing! :)

Got any other pics on hand Dalton that you'd like to share with respect to the process? (Ok, I admit that my ulterior motive has more to do with wanting to see some of your great photography and that great property of yours, but anything you've got to offer, I'll take! :D)

Cheers Good Neighbour! :)...Aemma

PS: Very elegant pic btw. I love it! :)

Allenson
02-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Here's a picture of a couple of buckets taken last year. I only make a few gallons of syrup every year and give most of it away in pint or quart jars--so, I don't need to mess around with tubing and instead, just stick to the old bucket collection method: :)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2038/2402681155_6fd93a7878.jpg