PDA

View Full Version : Pizzeria Attack Victim Concerned About Racist Electioneering

The Ripper
03-17-2011, 09:55 PM
http://yle.fi/ecepic/archive/00391/KUVA2_391722b.jpg

A Lahti City Councillor is concerned about racist statements made around the upcoming general election. Alettin Basboga believes that anti-immigration attitudes are increasing insecurity for people living in Finland who have a foreign background.

The 38-year-old was born in Turkey and moved to Finland in 1991. He now runs a pizzeria in the southern Finnish town of Lahti, where he was the victim of a racist attack on Wednesday. Basbogan says that three men came to the restaurant and began making Hitler salutes before asking why the restaurant had not already been burned down.

They then pulled out a gun, which fortunately turned out to be just a starting pistol. Basbogan says that he has not previously experienced anything like Wednesday’s incident, despite running a business in the Tontila district for over a decade.

“Someone tried to burn the place down at the end of the 90’s, but after that there hasn’t been any big vandalism or incidents until this one,” says Basboga. “Me and my employees have felt safe in Tontila.”
Bosbaga, who has served as a Social Democrat councilor in Lahti since 2004, says that the anti-immigration rhetoric employed by some candidates and parties ahead of the election next month is dangerous.

“There is and should be free speech in Finland, and I don’t want to stigmatise any parties, but people should talk about immigration in such a way that nobody is harmed,” warns Bosbagan. “Some want to make statements just to get publicity.”

Police are looking for three men in connection with Wednesday's incident, and have published stills taken from the pizzeria's security cameras, shown at the top of this article. Päijät Häme police can be contacted on 050 456 4312.

YLE

YLE News (http://yle.fi/uutiset/news/2011/03/pizzeria_attack_victim_concerned_about_racist_elec tioneering_2443017.html)

The opponents of the True Finns must be disappointed that no one was harmed, but I guess this is better than nothing. :coffee:

Motörhead Remember Me
03-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Those three guys are a bunch of wankers and losers and should be beat up. This Turkish guy is working and providing, I presume, a needed service.
I'd rather put those guys on the train to Siberia than a hard working Turk.

The Ripper
03-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Those three guys are a bunch of wankers and losers and should be beat up. This Turkish guy is working and providing, I presume, a needed service.
I'd rather put those guys on the train to Siberia than a hard working Turk.

Well no shit, they're "old acquaintances" of the police. I'm actually quite surprised that this wasn't made into a bigger deal. But again, I suppose its because a) the gun wasn't real and b) no one was hurt.

poiuytrewq0987
03-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Mm, Turkish pizza.

Foxy
03-23-2011, 02:17 PM
I catch the occasion to specify that many pizzerie abroad are managed by Turks and Middle Easterns who try to pass for Italians :mad:, so if you see an "Italian" who looks like Saddam Hussein probably he isn't Italian at all.
I say this becouse everytime I ate a pizza abroad I collected a shock so I've decided that abroad I'll eat only local food. Wisdom choice.
Abroad I've seen also many Middle Easterns wearing t-shirt of the Italian national team. It's like if they try to pass for Italian. Here in Italy they don't becouse it wouldn't work.

The Ripper
03-23-2011, 02:20 PM
I catch the occasion to specify that many pizzerie abroad are managed by Turks and Middle Easterns who try to pass for Italians :mad:, so if you see an "Italian" who looks like Saddam Hussein probably he isn't Italian at all.
I say this becouse everytime I ate a pizza abroad I collected a shock so I've decided that abroad I'll eat only local food. Wisdom choice.
Abroad I've seen also many Middle Easterns wearing t-shirt of the Italian national team. It's like if they try to pass for Italian. Here in Italy they don't becouse it wouldn't work.

I don't think anyone thinks they're Italians. ;)

Eldritch
03-23-2011, 02:47 PM

Heh, in tourist resorts around the Med (outside Italy, that is) you see lots of Turks, Albanians, Kurds and other assorted shifties telling girls they're Italian.

"Yes bella, I'm Eye-taaalian, from Rooooma. Tutto mozzarella buonguonno testtorezzotrozzo !!!!" :D

However in this country, I'm proud to say that shit doesn't fly. No-one thinks they're Italians. Especially since in all those "pizzerias" they also sell minced alley cat kebab. :wink

Foxy
03-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Heh, in tourist resorts around the Med (outside Italy, that is) you see lots of Turks, Albanians, Kurds and other assorted shifties telling girls they're Italian.

"Yes bella, I'm Eye-taaalian, from Rooooma. Tutto mozzarella buonguonno testtorezzotrozzo !!!!" :D

However in this country, I'm proud to say that shit doesn't fly. No-one thinks they're Italians. Especially since in all those "pizzerias" they also sell minced alley cat kebab. :wink

Yes becouse a guy just has to tell that he is Italian to pick up around the Med, don't ask me why......

Motörhead Remember Me
03-25-2011, 12:26 PM
If, and when, an Italian opens up an eatery here, it's a ristorante not a pizzeria.