View Full Version : Glenn Beck blames godlessness for America's problems

Thorum
03-18-2011, 06:34 AM
Welcome to America in the 21st century:

zEuAVgmWt0U

Here's to religious theocracies...

Motörhead Remember Me
03-18-2011, 07:17 AM
People like Glenn Beck isn't the problem?

anonymaus
03-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Glenn beck should not be given attention or paid mind.

Debaser11
03-18-2011, 07:53 AM
I wouldn't say that it's God-lessness per se that's the problem, but there's definitely a lack of certitude among all Westerners particularly in terms of foundational morality and identity (which are linked) that is suicidal. So with that said, he's onto something even if his critique is a bit off the mark due to his narrowness of field and the fact that modern Christianity in some ways has subverted our country the way the secular post-Christian left has done. The prevailing post-modern zeitgeist is either a "shrug of the shoulders" attitude or an overarching universalist perspective. Both hyper-relativist in a moral sense. Both dilute the essence of our nationality.

Everyone thinks they're an academic relating everything and saying they "can see no difference."

"I see no difference between an American having to learn Spanish and a Mexican having to speak English." (In America!)

"I can see no difference between gays raising children and heterosexual couples raising children."

"I can see no difference between being married and just living together."

"I can see no difference between Bush and Sadam." (or Bush and Hitler)

"I can see no difference between immigrants and us."

"I can see no difference between a white man being president and a black man or a woman being president."

"I can see no difference between having children or not having children."

"I can see no difference between Americans and everyone else."

"I can see no difference between my 'right' to healthcare and some rich guy's right to his money."

"I can see no difference between Christianity and Islam."

We're a very undiscerning bunch these days. Not very critical. Just clinging to tiny scaps of watered-down post-Christian morality. These are all indications of the destructive system of thought in place in our larger national culture. Think about the synchronization of mass social becoming. The will it takes to forge something like a national identity and how that breaks down. Similar relativist thoughts like the ones above collectively TEAR down what existed before. If you have no identity, you're nothing! America is quickly becoming nothing and you can see it when comparing the levels of civic pride between the older generations and the younger, more materialist generations.

American identity has been diluted by a lack of certitude. We don't even all agree on what constitutes an American. Now we even entertain the idea that some wetback from Honduras who simply hitchhikes his way over here is an American. It used to be understood that Americans were basically white Northern European Christians the same way one would assume that a Chinaman was Chinese and an adherent to either Confucianism or Buddhism or that an Englishman (once upon a time) was a white Western European Anglican. But recent post-Christian morality which has ushered in the emergence of relativism along with the growing endless sub-cultures is all contributing toward our slow and gradual decay. You don't just get as passive and apathetic as our Western nationalities of today when people are filled with a belief and certitude in their own identity.

Now our identity credo is usually something about tolerance and acceptance and other appeals to vague universality; if being an American means accepting everything while rejecting our prior systems of order and identity in the interest of fake virtues like "progress" and "inclusiveness," then we've effectively stretched what it means to be an American to such an extent of universality that being an American has really lost all meaning.

Breedingvariety
03-18-2011, 08:07 AM
Calm down, Glenn Beck and Debaser11 just haven't heard "God is dead" yet. ;)

Joe McCarthy
03-18-2011, 08:25 AM
One might can argue that atheism in itself is not the problem so much as the fact that the hyper-moralistic brand that has become dominant tracks with all of our worst social ills. We didn't get Nietzchean overmen. We got Abbie Hoffman, the dropout generation, and their 'socially conscious' and equally insipid descendants. Secular liberals, or 'active' atheists, tend also to be the most preachy of the bunch, rivaling fundamentalists in evangelist zeal. More conservative atheists at least have the class to keep their infidelity in the closet more or less.

Debaser11
03-18-2011, 08:27 AM
Ever notice how the secular left crowd is almost always the first to appeal to Christian morality in an argument whenever they want to make one of their "points"?

"Now that's not very Christian...."

I mean, why don't they just judge their opponents (whomever they may be (and they aren't all Christian)) on the basis their own moral standards? Oh, right....

SwordoftheVistula
03-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Secular liberals, or 'active' atheists, tend also to be the most preachy of the bunch, rivaling fundamentalists in evangelist zeal. More conservative atheists at least have the class to keep their infidelity in the closet more or less.

That's mainly the atheists of jewish background, plus a few other random cranks who only declare themselves 'atheists' because they are angry at life/society.

Most atheists are content to just withdraw from any&all superstitious silliness, but like to celebrate traditional holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving with family.

Thorum
03-18-2011, 01:01 PM

You are right but, like religion, it he and it are constantly being promoted, displayed and shoved down everyone's throat...

The Ripper
03-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Welcome to America in the 21st century:

zEuAVgmWt0U

Here's to religious theocracies...

SYrHx6dj0mU

Comment from a year ago:

Hey look, its Glenn Beck

LOL @ Ulcer Sphincter of Asserica. :D :D

Don Brick
03-18-2011, 03:23 PM
People like Glenn Beck isn't the problem?

People like Glenn Beck should be destroyed like vermin.

antonio
03-18-2011, 04:15 PM
I seriously doubt complex societies could get along easily without religion. At same time, I have nothing against punctual elites of unbelievers...if they research more comfortable without gods I would not be the one denying them that right. Of course, if and only if, their research give valuable results, both teoretical as practical. But if they try to cover mediocre results with the typical modern Atheist activism, well, then it's all about Inquisition punishing heretics :D

CelticTemplar
03-21-2011, 02:03 AM
I agree with what Joe said, it's less about Godlessness and more about not having some sort of moral foundation. And the massive amounts of Judeo-Negroid filth being injected into our society doesn't help much either.

Debaser11
03-21-2011, 02:14 AM
^Actually, we do have a moral foundation. It's just a poor one that emphasizes a wishy washy utilitarian form of niceness though we still have commandments.

Don't be a "racist."
Don't be a "sexist."
Don't be a "homophobe."
Don't be a "xenophobe."
Practice "tolerance."
Everything is equal.
All cultures are interchangable and just as valid.
The "right" of the individual supercedes everything unless it impedes upon any of the listed demandments.
Love everyone!
Don't "judge."

The moral systems of thought that actually had real insight have been disprivileged in today's world.

Max
03-21-2011, 03:22 AM

http://i56.tinypic.com/xp7o1c.jpg

The Ripper
03-21-2011, 03:29 AM
Glenn Beck comes across as a crazy person in all the clips I've seen of him. THE COMMUNISTS ARE TAKING OVER WHY WON'T ANYBODY LISTEN TO THE INCOHERENT NONSENSE I SCREAM!

Thorum
03-21-2011, 03:37 AM

If it were so easy.

"Something that is beyond man is happening," Beck said. "America today begins to turn back to God."

Beck, Palin tell thousands to 'restore America' (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/28/AR2010082801106.html)

Max
03-21-2011, 03:57 AM
I just :rofl: every time I watch his show. Its quite entertaining really :D

joe blowe
03-21-2011, 06:30 AM
I am not a christian or anything else, so I do not have a horse on this race.
However, the Judeo-Christian traditions are part of Western Civilization for 2 millenia.
This is an interesting take by the chinese.
http://www.ionainstitute.ie/index.php?id=1336
Maybe they are on to something.

Joe McCarthy
03-21-2011, 07:37 AM
Inevitably Beck's critics are infinitely more noxious than he is. Barry Lynn comes to mind. Come to think of it, I've been wanting to see Lynn get his ass kicked for years. Any chance of arranging a cage match between him and Beck?

anonymaus
03-21-2011, 08:03 AM
Inevitably Beck's critics are infinitely more noxious than he is.

There is nothing on TV more noxious to reasonable people than Glenn Beck except, maybe, that annoying little twerp who fills in for the old guy on Turner Classics. Glenn Beck's media critics are locked in an eternal battle with him, inside an echo chamber they've devised for one another: the cage match has been going on since early 2009, utterly irrelevant in its entirety.

The Ripper
03-21-2011, 08:06 AM
There is nothing on TV more noxious to reasonable people than Glenn Beck except, maybe, that annoying little twerp who fills in for the old guy on Turner Classics. Glenn Beck's media critics are locked in an eternal battle with him, inside an echo chamber they've devised for one another: the cage match has been going on since early 2009, utterly irrelevant in its entirety.

Olbermann is just as annoying, but in a different way. Does someone actually like them? I just listen to them for 15 seconds and I become repulsed by their condescending morality.

anonymaus
03-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Olbermann is just as annoying, but in a different way. Does someone actually like them? I just listen to them for 15 seconds and I become repulsed by their condescending morality.

That little rocket burned up all its fuel and crash landed on Planet Nobody, Population: Nobody. The answer is yes, by the way: people eat their rank bullshit nightly, like baby birds, as it falls from their mouths.

Apollonaris
09-09-2011, 04:46 AM
All philosophies are products of their time. Atheism is no different. The problem with the perception of atheism by the larger (largely theistic) society is, however, that atheism is nothing more than a disbelief in any god(s), it is not a total worldview. So atheists tend to span the political spectrum, although most are probably more left-of-center than the general population. Don't make the mistake that many anti-atheists make of equating atheism with theisms like Christianity and Islam. They are not at all equivalent. Atheists in general do not follow authorities like a pope or a mullah and they aren't centrally organized like the Catholic Church. There is just too much diversity in the atheist community to pigeonhole atheists as being all of one mind.

We didn't get Nietzchean overmen. We got Abbie Hoffman, the dropout generation, and their 'socially conscious' and equally insipid descendants. Secular liberals, or 'active' atheists, tend also to be the most preachy of the bunch, rivaling fundamentalists in evangelist zeal. More conservative atheists at least have the class to keep their infidelity in the closet more or less.

The hippies were all about mystical new age crap. Nothing to do with atheism. And the prize for "the most preachy of the bunch" still has to go to the theists, at least in North America these would be the Evangelicals. Unfortunately the Evangelicals have no "class" and don't want to keep it "in the closet". They want to impose their beliefs on the rest of us via the state. Let's just try to keep a little perspective here on where the real threat to individual liberty and democracy is coming from.

http://www.lolbrary.com/lolpics/163/glenn-beck-tells-it-like-it-is-2163.jpg

Joe McCarthy
09-14-2011, 12:59 AM
The hippies were all about mystical new age crap. Nothing to do with atheism.]

Nothing? Hoffman wrote a defense of atheism and refused to back down when confronted by his teacher.

Apollonaris
09-14-2011, 04:03 AM
Nothing? Hoffman wrote a defense of atheism and refused to back down when confronted by his teacher.

Mystical new age crap has nothing to do with atheism. Atheism is nothing more than the disbelief in god(s). Atheists, however, can be hippies, Nazis, communists, liberals, conservatives, whatever. Get the difference?

Mercury
09-14-2011, 05:24 AM
I'm sorry but Glenn Beck literally comes across as a crazy, mentally unstable individual. It has nothing to do with his political views, it's his mannerisms. It's the fact that he's crying one minute, laughing the next, trying to tell a joke (he usually delivers jokes like a psycho), then acting all serious. He's nowheres near as annoying as Olbermann or Matthews. But they're hard to beat.

BeerBaron
09-14-2011, 05:39 AM
One might can argue that atheism in itself is not the problem so much as the fact that the hyper-moralistic brand that has become dominant tracks with all of our worst social ills. We didn't get Nietzchean overmen. We got Abbie Hoffman, the dropout generation, and their 'socially conscious' and equally insipid descendants. Secular liberals, or 'active' atheists, tend also to be the most preachy of the bunch, rivaling fundamentalists in evangelist zeal. More conservative atheists at least have the class to keep their infidelity in the closet more or less.

I think this is accurate, and these evangelical atheists who populate youtube and spread their humanistic bullshit to every corner of the globe are a massive problem. It will be interesting to follow this "humanist" trend that atheists with no self respect have picked up.

These utopian delusionists are the same people that ushered in communism, just a different generation of idiots. Anything that markets itself in such a way can only ever be a destructive force.

SwordoftheVistula
09-14-2011, 06:00 AM
The organized atheists are obnoxious. Most atheists don't have anything to do with these people though, most simply stop believing in superstitions and drop out of religious activities.

luka
09-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Christians in this country should get red of this anyoing unbelievably anying moron cuz makes all christians look bad. godd dammn is he annoying! did i stress that enough!!!