PDA

View Full Version : Lord Ahmed jailed for sending texts before fatal crash.

Beorn
02-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Lord Ahmed jailed for sending texts before fatal crash

The Labour life peer Lord Ahmed was today sentenced to 12 weeks in jail for dangerous driving after he admitted sending text messages from behind the wheel before a fatal road accident.
Lord Ahmed had sent several long text messages on December 25, 2007 while driving at 60mph on the M1 motorway near Rotherham, South Yorkshire. Martyn Gombar, 28, a Slovakian man from Leigh, Lancashire, died when Lord Ahmed's Jaguar hit an Audi car that had crashed into the central reservation and was lying stationary across the middle and outside lanes.
Lord Ahmed pleaded guilty to dangerous driving but Mr Justice Wilkie made it clear that the offence had no causal link with the fatal accident.
The dangerous driving “involved driving at an earlier stage at speeds of around 60 mph along the M1 receiving, reading, composing and sending a series of text messages”, Mr Justice Wilkie said at Sheffield Crown Court.

It was now "well established that reading and composing text messages over a period of time constituted a gross, avoidable distraction and amounts to driving involving deliberate disregard for the safety of others".
He sentenced Lord Ahmed to 12 weeks in prison but the peer will serve half of that tariff.
David Cicak, Mr Gombar's cousin, said: “We’re not happy with this. He could be out in six weeks, that’s nothing. [My cousin] left behind two small kids now with only their mother.”
The court was told that Lord Ahmed sent his last message about two minutes before colliding with the Audi.
The peer pleaded guilty to dangerous driving after a police investigation plotted his phone use. He exchanged at least five messages with a journalist as he drove his Jaguar from Junction 40 to Junction 35, where the accident happened.
Mr Gombar’s Audi collided with the central reservation on the unlit motorway at about 6.20pm and was lying stationary on the road without lights.

Mr Gombar and a passenger had escaped to the hard shoulder but Mr Gombar then dashed back to retrieve his mobile phone. One driver saw the Audi at the last minute and managed narrowly to avoid a collision. Another clipped the Audi before Lord Ahmed’s car ran into it.
Police accident investigators said that the Audi was not visible to other drivers until they were almost upon it.

Source (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article5801891.ece)

Six weeks?!

This man kills another man through dangerous driving, and only gets six weeks?!

A lorry driver convicted yesterday of wiping out a family of six in his 40-ton truck will be free in just over a year.
Paulo Da Silva will serve two months for each of his victims - David and Michelle Statham and their children Reece, 13, Jay, nine, Mason, 20 months, and 10-week-old baby Ellouise.
The family died in a fireball after Da Silva, 46, ploughed into the back of their car on the M6 in Cheshire. The Portuguese driver could have got five years for causing death by careless driving.

Source (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/02/17/grandfather-slams-death-crash-jail-sentence-for-lorry-driver-paulo-da-silva-115875-21129808/)

He killed six people and got two months for each, so the price of a life in today's Britain is one month. ONE FUCKING MONTH!!!

Man sentenced to six months for collecting Golf balls. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-115582/Golf-ball-divers-jail-sentence-quashed-trust-justice-again.html)

The British justice system is a joke.

Lenny
02-25-2009, 05:41 PM
How could there be a "Lord Ahmed"? Don't those things go through ancient family lines?

Treffie
02-25-2009, 05:43 PM
This guy's a shit :mad: (sorry for the language), isn't he the same guy who helped stop Geert Wilders coming into the UK?

Don't get me started!

Treffie
02-25-2009, 05:44 PM
How could there be a "Lord Ahmed"? Don't those things go through ancient family lines?

Or for ass kissers.

Beorn
02-25-2009, 05:57 PM

If by "ancient family lines" you mean "deep financial pockets"?, then yes.

Whilst looking for more examples of Lords with non-European descent, I came across this Lord, Nazir Ahmed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazir_Ahmed,_Baron_Ahmed)

In December 2007, he was involved in a fatal road crash, and in December 2008 pleaded guilty to a charge of dangerous driving (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangerous_driving), later being sentenced to twelve weeks in prison.<sup id="cite_ref-0" class="reference">[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazir_Ahmed,_Baron_Ahmed#cite_note-0)</sup>

I feel like crying. Where is this nation going?

Loki
02-25-2009, 09:14 PM

Hereditary peerages (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peerage#Hereditary_peers), yes. But nobility titles can be given to anyone by the Queen.

SwordoftheVistula
02-25-2009, 09:31 PM
This lord shouldn't have been texting while driving, but the Gombar guy is an idiot too, to both manage to crash his car in presumably good weather (drunk maybe?) and then run back into traffic to retrieve his cell phone

Edit: They're talking about this on the radio right now, the Gombar guy who was hit WAS drunk

Beorn
03-02-2009, 12:32 PM
My apologies. It seems taking a life in Britain is equivalent to 18 days in prison and an electronic tag.

Death-drive peer may serve just 18 days of jail term (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1157996/Death-drive-peer-serve-just-18-days-jail-term.html)

The Labour peer jailed for dangerous driving after sending texts on the M1 before a fatal crash could be freed just 18 days into his 12-week sentence.
Lord Ahmed of Rotherham, Britain’s first Muslim peer, was sent to Doncaster Prison last week but his lawyer believes he could be released early.
If so, he would have to wear an electronic tag confining him to his home between 8pm and 6am.
Lord Ahmed would be eligible for parole after six weeks, but his solicitor Steve Smith said: ‘Lord Ahmed is clearly no danger to the public and in these circumstances the prison authorities can consider early release. He has to serve a minimum of 18 days.’

Beorn
03-13-2009, 02:45 AM
Fury as Labour peer jailed for texting at the wheel minutes before fatal crash to be freed after serving just 17 days (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1161531/Fury-Labour-peer-jailed-texting-wheel-minutes-fatal-crash-freed-serving-just-17-days.html)

A Labour peer jailed for texting at the wheel shortly before ploughing into a car and killing its driver was yesterday freed after Appeal Court judges decided his case was 'exceptional'.
Lord Ahmed of Rotherham, 51, will walk free from prison this morning after serving 16 days of his 12-week sentence for dangerous driving.
But Lady Justice Hallett said the court would not quash the prison sentence, insisting there was 'not one law for the rich and powerful and one law for the rest'.
She also warned motorists they faced jail for texting while driving, adding: 'We hope the message goes out that texting at the wheel is dangerous and if you are convicted of an offence of this kind you may go to prison.'
However, the decision to suspend the rest of his sentence was slammed by pressure groups last night for 'giving the wrong message' to motorists.
Lord Ahmed, Britain's first Muslim peer, admitted sending and receiving five text messages while driving at 60mph in his Jaguar on the M1 in South Yorkshire on Christmas Day 2007.
He stopped texting two minutes before crashing into Slovakian father-of-two Martyn Gombar, 28.

Lenny
03-13-2009, 02:48 AM
Do you think it has more to do with his "Lord" status (i.e., elite dodging justice) or more to do with his "Lord + [Non-European]" status (i.e., PCism plus elite'ism) or his Non European status alone (hardline PCism)??

Beorn
03-13-2009, 03:03 AM
Do you think it has more to do with his "Lord" status (i.e., elite dodging justice) or more to do with his "Lord + [Non-European]" status (i.e., PCism plus elite'ism) or his Non European status alone (hardline PCism)??

It could be a little bit of both.

No Lord is exempt from the long arm of the law, (as the case of Jeffrey archer clearly shows), but this is the same Lord who threatened to mobilise over ten thousand Muslims and march them upon Westminster if he didn't get his way with the refusal of Gert wilders' entrance into Britain.

The very perverse sentencing for crimes in Britain was mostly behind such a paltry length of time, and it is the same current lack of fitting sentencing which is the downfall of society as we know it imho, but the rank and minority status of Lord Ahmed was certainly the main reason for his short stay.

I haven't looked too deeply into the whole race+title=length of sentence disparities, but off the top of my head I can think of Lord Brocket who served two years for fraud and I'm sure others could be found.

Lenny
03-30-2009, 06:25 PM
If by "ancient family lines" you mean "deep financial pockets"?, then yes.

I came across this quote the other day:

The great Theognis complains that money mixes the blood of the noble with that of the ignoble, and that in this way race--which is strictly protected among dogs and horses--becomes polluted among men.

...and I immediately thought of the pathetic tale of "Lord Ahmed".

What is the solution? (continued from above)

In the Gorgias, Plato vainly makes Kallikles proclaim the wisest of messages: "The law of nature demands that the higher breeds rule over the lower". To be sure, "our (Athenian) laws" were different. In accordance with them the strongest and most virtuous would be caught like young lions, to be corrupted by "magical songs and trickery". If a true hero should again appear, he would trample down all these magical rites and advance radiantly forward by a natural right.

But this yearning for a hero was in vain; Money had already triumphed over Blood. Lacking sure instinct, the Hellene began to devote himself to trade, politics and sophistries, rejecting on one day what he had praised on the day before. Sons no longer respected their fathers; slaves from all over the world agitated for 'freedom'; sexual equality was proclaimed. Symbolic of this democracy—as Plato scornfully remarked—asses and horses began to push aside men who stood in their way. Masses of Foreigners became Athenians...[and the rest is history?]

{from The Myth of the Twentieth Century by Alfred Rosenberg, translated by Vivian Bird}

Elsewhere we find this contemptuous definition of Democracy:

Democracy, which is to say the rule of money rather than of character...