PDA

View Full Version : Are North Germans friendlier than southerners?

Arne
03-19-2011, 11:56 PM
I think people in Southern Germany are nicer and more cordial. In general, I find people in the UK, where I now live, more polite than Germans as a whole, at least at the workplace. There are lots of cultural differences. I used to live in Scotland and people there reminded me very much of some places in Schwaben (Ba-Wue), in more than just one way...

http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t33913-30.html

Agrippa
03-20-2011, 12:09 AM
I think there different kinds of friendliness. What you can say for sure is, that some Northerners are much more direct and less polite in a conservative to hypocritical way than in the South, but more professional and exerted, while the South is more cosy and relaxed in comparison, to put it that way. Whether you like that or not is often up to you and a question of getting used to it as well, in both ways.

Also, in the North and South exist strong regional differences as well, because the countryside in Lower Saxony is obviously not the same as Hamburg and the Protestant regions of the South West not the same as the Catholic ones etc.

Zankapfel
03-20-2011, 12:10 AM
I'm Northern German and I'm one unfriendly fuck.
Then again, I can only speak for myself.
Why do you bother what people on forums like that have to say about us, anyway?

Arne
03-20-2011, 12:14 AM
I'm Northern German and I'm selectively unfriendly.
Then again, I can only speak for myself.
Why do you bother what people on forums like that have to say about us, anyway?

I´d made the same experiences with Northgermans that they lack in Humour.
While Southgermans are much more friendly people if compared to Northgermans.

Zankapfel
03-20-2011, 12:19 AM
If by unfriendly you mean assertive, not big on prompted sympathy/fake praise/small talk, then I guess you're right?
We have a lot lower flow of tourists around these parts too, so no need to put on a happy face when Oktoberfest and other pesky holidays approach ;]
Although I now reside in Berlin. If you want unfriendly, try Berlin and then we'll talk.

Hess
03-20-2011, 12:37 AM
I had a German friend who was from Bavaria in school (Bayern i think). he was pretty nice. To my surprise, he had a razor sharp wit as well.

I've also been to Dresden a few times, after the wall came down. However, I could still definitely see the mark that the GDR has left on the people in terms of their mentality and outlook.

Baron Samedi
03-20-2011, 01:04 AM
Guess you North Germans wouldn't like my Southern charm too much, then....

Adalwolf
03-20-2011, 04:10 AM
South Germany > North Germany

A German military doctor said on Monday that data from a decade of giving intelligence tests to young enlisted men shows that southern-born Germans are smarter than their northerners.

With the latest European PISA (Programme for International Student Assessment) results due to be released on Tuesday, Dr. Heinz J. Ebenrett says his data matches a north-south divide in German education.

Based on his 1998 tests of 248,727 young men between 18 and 21-years-old, the former head of the Bundeswehr psychological service theorized that the smartest German men are from the southern states of Bavaria, Baden-Württemberg and Saxony in the east. Men of “well below average” to average intelligence are often from the country's northern states, which have underperformed on PISA tests in the past.

Ebenrett published his study in 2003 in magazine Das Parlament to little notice, but says the results reveal more than just a means of confirming stereotypes formed by PISA, because the result also seem to reflect socio-economic trends in Germany.

"Limited economic power results in deficits in the education system and quality of life," he told news agency DPA. "This affects the intellectual development in children and youth."

Meanwhile high rates of unemployment create a "shrinkage of intelligence potential" through the brain drain effect, he said.

http://www.thelocal.de/national/20081117-15579.html

Eldritch
03-20-2011, 09:25 AM
In my experience: no, which is why I like them more than Bavarians.

Not that there's anything wrong with Bavarians, but northern Germans are more like I myself am.

antonio
03-20-2011, 12:32 PM
I suppose NorthernGerman is more or less equivalent to Prussian. Anycase, from distance, I would say that SouthernGerman easy-going temperament have nothing to do with SouthernEurope equivalent, an irregular mixture of proudness (about God knows what) and falseness (when not straight thievery)...something more related with Third World behavs.

Himera
03-20-2011, 01:00 PM
But it seems that always , southerns are warmer and northerns r colder...in every region ,country ....
Serbians as south slavic people, everyone says we r very warm ,but in Serbia then, south people r warmer than northerns in some way...
It is not always a stereotype , you know that everything can causes a caracter...many terms from social area to climatic sphere...
But I like something about whole Germans ....they r HONEST ....and GOOD WORKERS...
:p

antonio
03-20-2011, 01:07 PM
But I like something about whole Germans ....they r HONEST ....and GOOD WORKERS...
:p

And what's even more important, they, as English, as Nordics, were good workers at the right time to be so. Whilst countries like you or mine are spoiled of just dependants of present or future fucking tourism. :coffee:

Breedingvariety
03-20-2011, 01:12 PM
I imagine Scots are warm people and they are in The North.

Lábaru
03-20-2011, 02:17 PM
what the hell happens in every country in Europe that the people of the North are always more serious than the South? I imagine that even if a few kilometers of distance there is also the myth of the people darkest, of course.

Himera
03-20-2011, 02:24 PM
And what's even more important, they, as English, as Nordics, were good workers at the right time to be so. Whilst countries like you or mine are spoiled of just dependants of present or future fucking tourism. :coffee:

It could be an explanation ....but mira, amigo, we r irresistible because of that ! :D:D:D:thumb001:

Breedingvariety
03-20-2011, 02:37 PM
what the hell happens in every country in Europe that the people of the North are always more serious than the South? I imagine that even if a few kilometers of distance there is also the myth of the people darkest, of course.
May be it's the climate that makes people jolly.

Agrippa
03-20-2011, 04:11 PM
South Germany > North Germany

http://www.thelocal.de/national/20081117-15579.html

That is a problem of the Social Democrat culture and immigration centres too though, not just of the Northern vs. Southern mentality.

Interestingly, the average standard in the more Catholic-conservative regions is higher, while some "elites" grow up in "elite areas" of the North so to say.

The social stratification in the more urban-protestant regions is somewhat more pronounced and immigration as well as schooling and family situations do play in, definitely. In the protestant urban areas are many low level single mothers and a lot of non-integrable immigrants, a lack of tradition and social cohesion.

At the same time, you have real elite families of the typical German-Prussian bourgeois character, so it is a mixed bag, yet on average, the more Southern-conservative structures are more likeable and sustainable - yet Germany as a whole goes in the Protestant-urban direction unfortunately, in every respect, including the bad family situations and demography...

The tests usually just reflect this problems of Germany as a whole and the more pronounced negative development in urban-Protestant areas.

Svanhild
03-20-2011, 10:59 PM
At the bottom line, we Northern Germans are more distanced and impersonal than Southern Germans, that's correct. Some would say more cold. That's our reputation and an inner-German virtuality. We're direct but not necessarily friendlier. I've been to a lot of places in Germany and my experience tells me that Southern Germans are more emotional and show more temperament. They're a bit more easygoing but more boisterous at the same time. We Northern Germans think, think about it again and open the mouth only then. Southern Germans like Bavarians or Swabs like to talk first and think later.

I'd imagine that the differences have to do with our German history. Northern Germany was under Prussian and protestant influence/ethos. Southern Germany is more catholic, conservative and has a thing for regionalism and autonomy.

But Southern Germans are funny and relaxed. Nice comrades. I like the annual Oktoberfest and we Northern Germans have to admit that the Southern German states are the economic powerhouse of Germany. They're our prankish and wacky brothers and sisters. :wink At times a bit odd but of the same blood. Our blood.

Himera
03-20-2011, 11:18 PM
And what about "cube moustache" guy: was he horror of the southern Germany or scare of the northern Austria ? He looks warm here...:D:D:D:confused:

Svanhild
03-20-2011, 11:23 PM
And what about "cube moustache" guy: was he horror of the southern Germany or scare of the northern Austria ? He looks warm here...:D:D:D:confused:
As a matter of fact, Austria is a part of Southern Germany. An integral one. The current borders of the German nation are fallacious.

Himera
03-20-2011, 11:38 PM
As a matter of fact, Austria is a part of Southern Germany. An integral one. The current borders of the German nation are fallacious.

I like it too ,when a one ubergerman gives answers avoiding the essence of statement, but politely giving a reason of its point view ;):D

Himera
03-20-2011, 11:50 PM
I imagine Scots are warm people and they are in The North.

They r british Montenegrians....:D
Highlanders comes from high , but theyr warmly raws...:D:D:p

blan
03-20-2011, 11:50 PM
i am not sure but what part is svanhild from? north or south? if people are anything like her in her region then i would say non friendly and all around gloomy bull dyke lesbians.

Hess
03-20-2011, 11:51 PM

I've been to both Germany and Austria. As a whole, I must say that Austrians look and act different from southern Germans, but that's just my observation.

Himera
03-20-2011, 11:54 PM
i am not sure but what part is svanhild from? north or south? if people are anything like her in her region then i would say non friendly and all around gloomy bull dyke lesbians.

What ?:D:confused::D

Who r lesbians today ? Civil class of loudly advertising?
if she s a scissor sister why she use a megafon for that ?
Maybe she s a lesbian only when she s tipping the letters here!...:D:D:p:thumbs up

Guapo
03-20-2011, 11:58 PM
Yes. North Germans are more friendlier and more ultra-liberal, especially Hamburg, than southern Germans. Probably 1 out of 10000 is a jerk/bitch up north.

Hess
03-21-2011, 12:08 AM
What ?:D:confused::D

Who r lesbians today ? Civil class of loudly advertising?
if she s a scissor sister why she use a megafon for that ?
Maybe she s a lesbian only when she s tipping the letters here!...:D:D:p:thumbs up

what? I didn't catch a word of that :confused:

Guapo
03-21-2011, 12:12 AM
what? I didn't catch a word of that :confused:

Translation : who gives a flying fuck if she likes to rub her pussy on another girl's snatch. Why does she have to tell everyone that all the time? Or maybe she's only a dyke typing on the apricity and not in real life? I hope that helped.

Hess
03-21-2011, 01:39 AM
Translation : who gives a flying fuck if she likes to rub her pussy on another girl's snatch. Why does she have to tell everyone that all the time? Or maybe she's only a dyke typing on the apricity and not in real life? I hope that helped.

ahh. Indeed, that helped quite a bit. That reminds me, one time some friends and I made a fake account on this website: http://www.girlpowerforum.com/

We posted on it for a year, no joke. (yes I know, I'm pathetic)

Himera
03-21-2011, 01:41 AM
ahh. Indeed, that helped quite a bit. That reminds me, one time some friends and I made a fake account on this website: http://www.girlpowerforum.com/

Hi hi hi hi !:D

Breedingvariety
03-21-2011, 04:46 AM
I've been to both Germany and Austria. As a whole, I must say that Austrians look and act different from southern Germans, but that's just my observation.
I believe you, but what is different between them?

Beorn
03-21-2011, 04:49 AM
http://bite-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/TP.jpg

The constant struggle between North and South Germany.

The Ripper
03-21-2011, 08:34 AM

I just took a look at that forum. Is it me or do they have 17 different subfora for the same thing? :D

Hess
03-21-2011, 01:19 PM
The best thing to do is to go on after any major holiday(thanksgiving,Christmas, etc). The whole forum is flooded with "do you think I got fat?" threads, which can all be found under the "burning issues" subforum :D

Good times

_______
04-30-2011, 12:16 PM
[QUOTE=Zankapfel;369548] If you want unfriendly, try Berlin QUOTE]

i found people in berlin to be perfectly friendly, just not not too in-your-face :)

Karl der Große
05-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Weird thread. It's a definate fact that Bavarians aren't viewed too kindly by people from other parts of Germany! They are regarded as arrogant and rude.