PDA

View Full Version : What percentage do Germans get on their ansestry reports?

Gründig
07-01-2018, 11:03 PM
What percentage do Germans get in the "french/german" category on their ancestry reports? What seems to be the typical amount?

I have a decent amount of family from literally all over Germany and I got 45.9% French/German on the 23andme test. I also got 22% broadly northwestern European, so there's a chance some of that belongs in the french/German category as well.

DarkWater
07-02-2018, 12:05 AM
Hey Gründig, MyHeritage actually gives you that information! I will find you the link.

I have a lot of German heritage (western and southern) and about 15-20% British. On MyHeritage, Germans seem to have less British than me, and more Eastern European and Scandinavian. The Northern and Western European they get is sometimes less than mine (although on Ancestry it's a totally different story).

I think the average German that I see on MyHeritage is about 55-70% Northern and Western European on MyHeritage. The information that they give is what percentage of testers there got that as a region. It doesn't take into account the mean or average of each user's regional percentages

DarkWater
07-02-2018, 12:05 AM
Gedmatch also makes it easy to compare populations obviously

DarkWater
07-02-2018, 12:08 AM
https://www.myheritage.com/ethnicities

You can look at many countries in the world (especially the more developed world), as well as individual states in the US

DarkWater
07-02-2018, 12:11 AM
There are German people with German names and German grandparents who had German names who have 0% Northern and Western Europe on MyHeritage. It will show up as Scandinavian a lot of times. Many Germans have 15%-40% Eastern Europe. Some Germans are 100% North and Western Europe.

I know this because I compared myself to all of my super distant German relative matches on MyHeritage

Gründig
07-02-2018, 12:33 AM
There are German people with German names and German grandparents who had German names who have 0% Northern and Western Europe on MyHeritage. It will show up as Scandinavian a lot of times. Many Germans have 15%-40% Eastern Europe. Some Germans are 100% North and Western Europe.

I know this because I compared myself to all of my super distant German relative matches on MyHeritage

interesting. thanks for the information.

Im Basically 93% northwestern european with about 50% of it being French/German, 22% british isles, 3% Scandinavian and 22% broadly north western.
The other 7% or so is basically 1.5% eastern european and about 5% southern european (italian, iberian, broadly southern). It seems to fit in with that myHertiage link you sent.

My family is literally from all over Germany. Very southern and eastern is what i know. From some of my results, im assuming northern and western as well. Also, Alsace.

DarkWater
07-02-2018, 12:50 AM
interesting. thanks for the information.

Im Basically 93% northwestern european with about 50% of it being French/German, 22% british isles, 3% Scandinavian and 22% broadly north western.
The other 7% or so is basically 1.5% eastern european and about 5% southern european (italian, iberian, broadly southern). It seems to fit in with that myHertiage link you sent.

My family is literally from all over Germany. Very southern and eastern is what i know. From some of my results, im assuming northern and western as well. Also, Alsace.

I also have ancestors who lived in Alsace, although they lived in Austria before that.

Have you uploaded your results to MyHeritage?

Iloko
07-02-2018, 12:56 AM
I wonder if any Germans also score some 'Eastern Euro' on 23andme

Gründig
07-02-2018, 12:58 AM
I wonder if any Germans also score some 'Eastern Euro' on 23andme

Im an American with alot of German ancestry and i only scored 1.2% eastern euro.

Iloko
07-02-2018, 01:03 AM
Im an American with alot of German ancestry and i only scored 1.2% eastern euro.
What % 'Baltic' do you typically score on the Gedmatch calcs?

Gründig
07-02-2018, 01:05 AM
What % 'Baltic' do you typically score on the Gedmatch calcs?

Ill have to take a look.

Petalpusher
07-02-2018, 11:09 AM
What percentage do Germans get in the "french/german" category on their ancestry reports? What seems to be the typical amount?

I have a decent amount of family from literally all over Germany and I got 45.9% French/German on the 23andme test. I also got 22% broadly northwestern European, so there's a chance some of that belongs in the french/German category as well.

25-50% from what i ve seen, so you are rather in the higher end of the percentages. Yeah the rest will usually go to Broadly NW, maybe a bit Brit/Irish and more minor things.