PDA

View Full Version : Lebanon starts sending Syrians back to their country

Böri
07-05-2018, 02:26 PM
ARSAL, Lebanon - Hundreds of Syrian refugees left northeast Lebanon this week in pick-up trucks jam-packed with their belongings: mattresses, gas stoves, crockery, children's toys as well as the occasional bird cage.

They were headed for the Qalamoun region of Syria, just a few hours drive from the camps they had lived in for the past few years in Arsal, a Lebanese border town, having fled the intense fighting back in 2013.

According to one of the organisers, Khaled Abdelaziz, there are roughly 20,000 people from Qalamoun in Arsal, out of the 50,000 to 60,000 refugees in the area.

Relatives and friends waved tearful goodbyes. "I hope you arrive safely and that we'll see each other soon in Syria," sobbed an elderly lady as she embraced Hajer Darwish, a young mother of two sitting in the front of a pick-up truck driven by her husband. "She's crying because we're leaving and she's staying," said Darwish.

"We're so happy to go back to our country. I haven't slept all night."

Darwish's sons, who were born in Lebanon, will be seeing their parents' country for the first time. They have high hopes.

"In Syria, there are sheep, cows, chickens, swimming pools and water," lists one of them. Water and electricity cuts are common in the camps surrounding Arsal, where living conditions are rudimentary.

Standing on her balcony to watch the trucks waiting to leave, one Lebanese woman seemed relieved.

"A few hundred people is not many, but it still means fewer refugees in Arsal."

The town has suffered from severe spillover from the Syrian war. The departure has been months in the making.

"Following a reconciliation deal, two traders from the town of Fleeta living in Arsal started circulating lists of names of refugees who were interested in returning to the Qalamoun area," said Mireille Girard, the UNHCR representative in Lebanon, in an interview in mid-June.

The names were handed over to the Lebanese General Security, a branch of the intelligence services, who sent them to Damascus for approval. Over 3,000 people registered, but only 360 left yesterday, according to a Lebanese army colonel who was coordinating their departure on the ground. Later in the day, General Security announced that actually only 294 people made the trip back to Syria.

In many cases, the only person to be approved in the family was female. As a result, the entire family stayed in Lebanon. Hayla Jassatir, a 29-year-old mother of six, had packed her truck together with her husband, Muhammad Kanaan, hoping that he would be able to leave with her. But it was not to be.

"Who will drive us to Fleeta if he can't come?" she said. Like a dozen other people in the same situation, Jassatir kept asking a harassed-looking young man carrying a long list of names to double check whether her husband's name might be on it.

A widow from Yabroud, who wished to remain anonymous, was caught in a similar bind. "I have been approved, but not my daughter and her husband," she said. "I thank Lebanon for hosting us, but I cannot be happy until I go home. The first thing I want to do is paint and fix the house."

Those watching their relatives leaving were uncertain whether they would be following them soon. Samira Boutara's father and his pregnant second wife left yesterday for Jrajeer to scout the town.

"We haven't registered yet. We don't know if it's safe enough back home," said Boutara.

"We'll just go back to our nylon bag now," she laughed, referring to her tent in one of Arsal's camps.

"We hate the camp here," one of her sisters said, more seriously.

"We might be too poor to rebuild our houses in Syria, but we're happy to just cover the holes and windows and live like that."

Overall, the Syrians who left yesterday represented only a small portion of the refugees in Arsal, and their number is insignificant when compared with the number of Syrians in Lebanon - over one million. The UNHCR identified 11,000 spontaneous departures last year.

Returnees must meet several conditions. First, cooperate fully with the Syrian authorities, which means openly stating their support for Bashar al-Assad. Second, they must be willing to send the young men of the family to the army, as military service is obligatory for men aged between 18 and 42.

"Look at those leaving: they're mostly women, children or men who are too old for the army," observed Oum Hussein, who stood by the side of the road waving goodbye to a friend leaving for Fleeta.

She is too afraid to return to Syria. Her family is strongly associated with the opposition: her husband died in anti-government demonstrations back in 2011, and her son deserted the Syrian army before being killed.

She now lives in Arsal with three of her children. Only one member of her extended family has dared register his name to return to Syria.

"It's only because he thinks that he might lose his house in Damascus. He has another house in Yabroud, but he's less worried about it. The regime is mostly interested in demographic change around the capital," said Oum Hussein.

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/hundreds-syrian-refugees-go-home-367049515

Marmara
07-05-2018, 02:29 PM
Lol, that's Lebanon. Same thing won't happen here. A Syrian would arm and fight to stay in Istanbul, if not leaving for Western Europe.

Böri
07-05-2018, 02:31 PM
Lol, that's Lebanon. Same thing won't happen here. A Syrian would arm and fight to stay in Istanbul, if not leaving for Western Europe.

Or even better scenario.
Ones leaving Lebanon will come to Turkey.
Then you will see AKP trolls making Ummah propaganda on the internet to make people accept cuts from their taxes to be spent for Syrians.
They will share photos of poor kids and people, then will say anyone opposing has no heart and is no human.
In counterpart, of course Syrians will have the difficult duty to get citizenship and vote for AKP. xD

Gold-Shekel
07-06-2018, 03:21 PM
Syrian refugees in Syria were most likely pro-Assad, now that Assad runs shit they can go back no worries.

Marmara
07-06-2018, 03:29 PM
Syrian refugees in Syria were most likely pro-Assad, now that Assad runs shit they can go back no worries.

Syrian refugees here say Assad would torture and kill them if they return

Böri
07-06-2018, 03:51 PM

Only 200k of those in Turkey are probably affiliated with FSA like having first level family member who is FSA militant. the circa 3,5 million others are people who don't give any heck about the war or the fighting sides or so. They saw there is a war in their country, they saw Turkey removed landmines and opened the gates to anyone, and since Turkey is better than their country, they simply moved in.
So, many of them don't tell the truth. They simply try to continue staying. Free healthcare, monthly financial helps etc. they get in Turkey won't be found in Syria. They know that.

Marmara
07-06-2018, 03:54 PM
Only 200k of those in Turkey are probably affiliated with FSA like having first level family member who is FSA militant. the circa 3,5 million others are people who don't give any heck about the war or the fighting sides or so. They saw there is a war in their country, they saw Turkey removed landmines and opened the gates to anyone, and since Turkey is better than their country, they simply moved in.
So, many of them don't tell the truth. They simply try to continue staying. Free healthcare, monthly financial helps etc. they get in Turkey won't be found in Syria. They know that.

I know, i recently spoke with one. He says Assad would murder them, i ask him if he would return if Syria gets fixed, he says No. Syria will never become a good place, Assad would murder us on sight, we should forget about returning, committing suicide would be a better option than returning etc.

Thanas Django
07-06-2018, 04:05 PM
I know, i recently spoke with one. He says Assad would murder them, i ask him if he would return if Syria gets fixed, he says No. Syria will never become a good place, Assad would murder us on sight, we should forget about returning, committing suicide would be a better option than returning etc.

Which is of course sentimental bullshit on his part. He is probably leading a better life with your tax money than he ever did as a peasant in Syria.

Here he is a victim in need of protection not an incompetent shitlord.

Böri
07-06-2018, 04:25 PM

That's a tactic for most of them to continue staying here. Benefiting from welfare and getting citizenship. FSA got at most 50k armed militants. So their first level relatives in Turkey are at most 300k (still most of FSA members relatives are in northern Syrian in zones taken by Turkish army).
Assad wouldn't touch any of them. Beside Syria needs people for its economy, to work the land etc.

Gold-Shekel
07-08-2018, 12:13 PM

The ones in Lebanon are pro Assad, fled from ISIS and FSA, those in Turkey are likely FSA and were expelled by Kurds, ISIS. I don't think Assad is as bad as those terror groups.

Kamal900
07-08-2018, 12:15 PM
The ones in Lebanon are pro Assad, fled from ISIS and FSA, those in Turkey are likely FSA and were expelled by Kurds, ISIS. I don't think Assad is as bad as those terror groups.

He's better than those terrorist groups that Turkey, the US and it's puppet regimes in the GCC supported.

Gold-Shekel
07-08-2018, 12:20 PM
He's better than those terrorist groups that Turkey, the US and it's puppet regimes in the GCC supported.

He's the only one with actual legitimacy. The other ones are rebel groups who try to benefit from the situation and make money out of people's misery.

Böri
07-08-2018, 12:40 PM

Nope. Isis was never strong on Lebanon border region to begin with.
Syrians in Lebanon might be Assad or FSA supporters. They are all peasants returning home now.

In Turkey there are every sorts of Syrians, even Shiite from north Aleppo and PYD supporting Kurdish Syrians.
Ones in Turkey must also return home.