PDA

View Full Version : Calls For Councillor To Resign Over Nazi Costume

Treffie
02-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Call for Porthcawl councillor to resign over Nazi costume

Feb 26 2009 By Andrew Pugh

A COUNCILLOR dressed as a Nazi soldier at his 40th birthday party and posted the “abhorrent” pictures on the internet, it emerged last night.

Self-proclaimed “extreme right wing Liberal Democrat” Sean Aspey posed in the costume at the fancy dress party and uploaded the photographs onto the Facebook social networking website.

Mr Aspey is also a member of two online groups celebrating notorious serial killers Fred West and Harold Shipman.

The first, “Fred West Was A Good Builder”, says: “Great builder, bit of a drinker, he often told me he could murder some Tenants”, while the second is called “Harold Shipman – Join My New Surgery” where one user jokes: “It’s a great surgery, free jabs for the over-65s”.

An inquiry estimated Dr Shipman killed more than 200 patients, while West murdered at least 12 young women.

Opponents last night accused Mr Aspey of bringing Porthcawl Town Council into disrepute and called for him to resign.

But the defiant politician, who previously led demonstrations against a mobile phone mast opposite his house, claimed he was “just having a laugh”.

“I have rather a great sense of humour.

“I tend to see things in a funny light.”

Asked how voters would perceive the pictures, he said: “I was asked to become a councillor because I am interested in local politics. I do not get paid for it and dedicate my time to the community on a voluntary basis.

“I’d like people to think, ‘He’s a tidy bloke’. I’m quite moderate in any viewpoints I have. I do it for the good of Porthcawl and that’s what people should vote on, not having a private party.”

The photos were taken at Mr Aspey’s ’Allo ’Allo-themed fancy dress party at the resort’s Rose and Crown pub on March 2, 2008 – two months before he was elected.

Labour councillor John Bunker, who served in the Army, was appalled Mr Aspey donned the German officer’s uniform.

He said: “I lost two brothers in World War II and when I see someone dressing like that it revives some bad memories.

“The other thing that concerns me is the effect on the town council. He’s supposed to be representing people and it’s not reasonable to dress in that sort of uniform. There were many other people he could have dressed up as. He didn’t have to be a German officer.

“It beggars belief, even if he wasn’t a councillor. I abhor people who do that kind of thing.”

Conservative councillor David Deere said Mr Aspey should consider his position.

“It’s totally inappropriate for any councillor or member of the public to appear in Nazi uniform,” he said. “The electorate who voted for him will feel let down and offended.”

But an unapologetic Mr Aspey said: “It was an ’Allo ’Allo-themed party. There were French waitresses, policemen – everyone was a character from the show. We had a good night and a good laugh. I wasn’t wandering around in Nazi uniform or anything. It’s a family show and it’s still shown on TV. It’s an issue of political correctness.

“I can understand the uniform caused offence if I had gone up and down Porthcawl promenade, but I was at a private party. It should be taken in the sense of humour intended. I have not been approached anyone or received any complaints.”

Pub landlady Joanne Lewis said: “There were people dressed as French maids, British airmen. It was very representative of the programme, more a Parisian cafe theme than a German theme.

“No one took offence. If they were going to take offence I wouldn’t have allowed it.”

She said the councillors complaining had “taken things a bit too far” and Mr Aspey held the party “because he enjoyed the programme”. She added: “I didn’t receive any complaints from other people at the bar.”

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2009/02/26/call-for-porthcawl-councillor-to-resign-over-nazi-costume-91466-23013493/

Beorn
02-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Asked how voters would perceive the pictures, he said: “I was asked to become a councillor because I am interested in local politics. I do not get paid for it and dedicate my time to the community on a voluntary basis.

As long as the man keeps representing the people who voted for him I cannot see a problem.

His choice of costume was absolutely within the bounds of the nights event.

I always look at these kind of stories and wish for the day that we get some letters from the old German boys:

Helmut Scholl, who served in the German Army, was appalled Mr Aspey donned the British officer’s uniform.

He said: “I lost two brothers in World War II and when I see someone dressing like that it revives some bad memories.