PDA

View Full Version : Is English the language of love?

poiuytrewq0987
03-24-2011, 10:24 AM
More and more people from different countries get hitched and their main language for communication is often English because of its status as the international language. I believe Spanish or Italian are no longer the language of love since they are rarely used by others to break the language barrier whereas English is more often used to penetrate that barrier nowadays.

Albion
03-24-2011, 10:29 AM
Yes

The Lawspeaker
03-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Yes.

Blossom
03-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Yes..:love0022:

Don Brick
03-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Yes..:love0022:

How come? ;)

Blossom
03-24-2011, 11:52 AM
How come? ;)

Oh dont you know how? Easily;)!

mymy
03-24-2011, 02:26 PM
I will be honest and say that I don't really think English is romantic language... To me it is language of business. I dated foreigners but some love words i prefer to hear on their own language better than in English. I'm sorry, but I just cant feel soul of the language and dont fond it enough powerful...

Bard
03-24-2011, 02:34 PM
I will be honest and say that I don't really think English is romantic language... To me it is language of business. I dated foreigners but some love words i prefer to hear on their own language better than in English. I'm sorry, but I just cant feel soul of the language and dont fond it enough powerful...

I agree. English is just "needed" not really enjoyed to speak of love matters. If I had to pick a language that suits love, I would of course say italian or french.
English is pretty cool, and I enjoy watching movies and reading books in their original language, but I believe it to be sort of aseptic.

Troll's Puzzle
03-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Not when it's my lips or hands that use it; then it's the language of hate. http://serve.mysmiley.net/evilgrin/evilgrin0025.gif

Lithium
03-24-2011, 03:03 PM
I love the English language. First I said and heard "I love you" in English...

Svanhild
03-24-2011, 06:03 PM
German is the real language of love. :wink As love is rough, the language has to be rough, too.

http://iranpoliticsclub.net/photos/nazi-girls4/images/Nazi%20Love.jpg

34EN6cEWyO8

Adalwolf
03-24-2011, 06:13 PM
Nein du Narr! Wusstest du nicht, dass Deutsch die Sprache der Liebe!

mymy
03-24-2011, 06:15 PM
I would personally vote for French, Russian or Italian... all are special on their own way...

Peyrol
03-24-2011, 06:17 PM
More and more people from different countries get hitched and their main language for communication is often English because of its status as the international language. I believe Spanish or Italian are no longer the language of love since they are rarely used by others to break the language barrier whereas English is more often used to penetrate that barrier nowadays.

Of course English is a language of love ...

... but we must not forget that if it is an international language, this is due to the fact that before the British Empire and then (now) the U.S. "control the planet". Before the "WASP" supremacy, the international language was French, and even before the Florentine for science and Latin for culture and diplomacy...so,all European languages ​​are beautiful and romantic in their own way ... I do not agree with many people that define the Germanic (especially deutsch and scandinavian languages) and Slavic languages ​​"rough and evil".

And, i hope that in the future international language will not be an arabic/chinese hybrid:(

"Resurgit, Evropa!"http://www.vg-forum.it/images/smilies/hitler.gif

anonymaus
03-24-2011, 06:18 PM
The malleability of English lends itself to creative expressions of love, even if it doesn't always pour off the tongue like melted chocolate; I find the intellect required to do so, and the emotions which animate that intellect, more romantic and endearing than romance languages.

However, motivating a foreign girl to lose her wits and switch from English to muttering in her native tongue is rather alright. ;)

Svanhild
03-24-2011, 06:18 PM
Nein du Narr! Wusstest du nicht, dass Deutsch die Sprache der Liebe...
...ist. :wink

mymy
03-24-2011, 06:22 PM
I do not agree with many people that define the Germanic (especially deutsch and scandinavian languages) and Slavic languages ​​"rough and evil".

Since when are Slavic languages rough and evil? I thought our languages sounds very sensible and full of soul :)

Peyrol
03-24-2011, 06:25 PM
Since when are Slavic languages rough and evil? I thought our languages sounds very sensible and full of soul :)

I totally agree with you.
But many people think otherwise.

antonio
03-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Obviously English is not the language of love, but if lovers dont share other language besides English (as, disgracefully, too much interracial pairs) , then, for practical purposes, maybe could be better to talk in English than to inscribe themselves in a academy for learning French, Spanish, Italian, Occitan, GalicianPortuguese and many others.:coffee:

Breedingvariety
03-24-2011, 07:35 PM
Is English the language of love?
As opposed to hate speech language?

Pallantides
03-24-2011, 07:41 PM
German is the real language of love. :wink As love is rough, the language has to be rough, too.

German is the language of BDSM:D;)

Comte Arnau
03-24-2011, 07:52 PM
English? Nah. Maybe for natives, but a lingua franca is always a lingua franca, with all it implies: trade, business, lack of feelings, thousands of pop songs saying the same things once and again... Anglic people say 'I love you' so frequently that the expression has lost its power. Frankly, I prefer one powerful sincere je t'aime, te quiero, ti amo... And of course, t'estimo.

As of lately, though, I've come to appreciate a well-whispered jeg elsker dig...

Wyn
03-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Anglic people say 'I love you' so frequently that the expression has lost its power.

That depends entirely on context and sincerity.

Dombra
01-11-2013, 12:11 AM
No.

Graus
01-11-2013, 12:13 AM
German is the language of BDSM:D;)

That would be English actually.

Hurrem sultana
01-11-2013, 12:13 AM
As of lately, though, I've come to appreciate a well-whispered jeg elsker dig...

let me guess your gf is scandinavian :D

SkyBurn
01-11-2013, 12:14 AM
I know I'm biased, but I really love English.

With its vast vocabulary, all you need to do is craft the words just right, and you can express exactly what you mean.

Comte Arnau
01-11-2013, 12:21 AM
let me guess your gf is scandinavian :D

:thumb001:

Smaug
01-11-2013, 12:30 AM
Venetian is the language of love. Have you ever been to Venice, the city of love, where you smell the clean water of the Grand Canal? :D

Svipdag
01-12-2013, 01:02 AM
I love the English language and beautiful things can be said in it (and almost
any other language), BUT I think that words of love are more effective in a beautiful language. There are more beautiful languages than English.

IMO, it is helpful if the language is also dramatic. Italian fills the bill in both areas. it is beautiful and it is VERY dramatic. Think of the great love duets in Italian opera. I have heard some of them sung in English....and cringed. Sorry, but the words sound pedestrian.

"PECTVS EST QVOD DISERTOS FACIT" - MARCVS FABIVS QVINTILIANVS

Alexandros
01-12-2013, 01:06 AM
No.

Alexandros

Virtuous
01-12-2013, 01:09 AM
English is universal, Italiano e' per l'amore. (hence Romance).

MALTESE IS FOR CURSING, F'OXX KEMM GĦANDKOM XIŻ-ŻOBB QED TĦARSU.

Just90
01-12-2013, 01:14 AM
Spanish ? Never heard of it as the language of love

And no, it's French
French is the most soft spoken language plus romantic and idk has a nice rhythm

Illancha
01-12-2013, 01:15 AM
No, English is definitely not the language of love.

Art and the art of wordplay specifically requires subtlety something that English often lacks. I find English slightly bland and a bit too direct when compared to say Chechen or Arabic. Translating the most beautiful of sentences from either of the two languages into English produces laughable results.

Chechen I would not say is a good candidate for being a language of love, albeit better than English. Despite being a very expressive language, Chechen leans naturally on the aggressive and apathetic side.

Arabic on the other hand can certainly be considered a language of love if you can get past the guttural nature of it.

Comte Arnau
01-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Venetian is the language of love. Have you ever been to Venice, the city of love, where you smell the clean water of the Grand Canal? :D

Any of the more than 25 Romance languages is more about love than English. Otherwise we wouldn't call them the Romance languages. :D

Graham
01-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Any of the more than 25 Romance languages is more about love than English. Otherwise we wouldn't call them the Romance languages. :D

We'd have to bin English's Germanic influence. The fanciest words in English are mainly Latin ones.

Petersburg
01-12-2013, 04:13 PM
It's a language of computers

The Ripper
01-12-2013, 04:14 PM
English is the language of interracial love.

morski
01-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Japanese is the language of love.

Graus
01-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Japanese is the language of love.

Of elder men to underaged girls in school uniforms.

Hochmeister
01-12-2013, 05:21 PM
German is the most beautiful language, as for me. Especially I adore the Rammstein's spelling. :D
As for love, the French still rulez.

Kazimiera
03-27-2013, 09:56 PM
---> moved to Linguistics

Xochi
08-05-2014, 08:29 AM
No. French is the language of love.