PDA

View Full Version : How likely is it for a family to hide their Jewish ancestry?

DontFxxkWithWendy
07-13-2018, 07:26 PM
We don’t know anything about my mom’s birth dad besides the fact he was *apparently* German American. However, a lot of my research I’ve done suggests he has Sephardic lineage (maybe he had a Dutch relative or something or had relatives in Hamburg...?) I’m also 12.5% Italian but I have a lot of Mediterranean and Middle Eastern DNA for someone in that case (like someone who’s a quarter Italian or Jewish). My Eurogenes K13 and K15 (more the former) suggest Sephardic roots, and my JTest score is kinda high. I also match a good number of Jewish and Hispanic people on GEDMatch.

We don’t even know when her birth dad’s family came over to the United States; it could have been right before he was born...I did have a German match with Jewish roots on both GEDMatch and MyHeritage. I doubt they came before the early 19th century, though. My phenotype indicates some Jewish heritage too; I have really dark thick hair that’s common in Jewish women. My brother and mom definitely have some Jewish features; my mom looked like Anne Frank as a kid.

How consistent is this with my biological grandpa’s German American claim? I know there was only one Sephardic community in Germany, and that was in Hamburg. (If you know who Jerry Orbach was, his dad was a Sephardic German Jew so it’s not impossible, but most German Jews are Ashkenazim.) Also, I’ll never know the actual answer except through genetics and intuition, because we don’t even know my biological granda’s name.

Dragoon
07-13-2018, 07:42 PM
Jews often changed their last names for several reasons. But remember they had only lastnames for a few centuries in Europe.
Perhaps in WW2 or Pograms they may have hid their ancestry.
My guess is that the more "assimilated" ones would be more secular, atheist, less religious, etc, learn the languages of their host nations, but still have somewhat different views to the population at large.
You saw this with the Menshevik, Bolshevik, and Bund movements.

Since Jews may not have been counted they may have identified with Germans, Russians, Poles, Spanish when they came to the New World (unsure of this though).