PDA

View Full Version : Who are the Assyrians?

Babak
07-23-2018, 02:42 PM
The Assyrians are a people who have lived in the Middle East since ancient times and today can be found all over the world.

In ancient times their civilization was centered at the city of Assur (also called Ashur), the ruins of which are located in what is now northern Iraq. The city had a god that was also called Assur or Ashur. The territory that the Assyrians controlled could be vast, stretching at times from southern Iraq to the Mediterranean Coast.

The city of Assur first gained its independence about 4,000 years ago. Before independence the city was controlled by a people known as the Sumerians and only gained its independence after the Sumerian civilization declined.

https://img.purch.com/w/660/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMD AwLzA4NC8wNzAvb3JpZ2luYWwvYXNzeXJpYW5zLTcuanBn

Modern-day scholars often divide Assyrian history into three periods: the Old Assyrian, Middle Assyrian and Neo-Assyrian periods. The timespan that each period covers is a source of debate among scholars.

Old Assyrian Period
The "Old Assyrian" period generally refers to the time after Assyria first gained independence around 4,000 years ago.

Ancient texts indicate that Assyria's size and power were limited in the period after it gained independence. Its early rulers didn't refer to themselves as a "king" in their inscriptions. Instead they called themselves a "vicegerent" (a word that can mean "governor") of the god Ashur.

"Erishum, the vicegerent of the god Ashur, son of Ilushuma, vicegerent of the god Ashur, built the entire temple area of the temple of the god Ashur…" reads part of an inscription found on an Assyrian temple's stairway (translation by Albert Kirk Grayson). Why Assyria's early rulers used such modest titles is a mystery that scholars are still trying to understand.

All pretense of modesty came to an end when a ruler named "Shamshi-Adad" (sometimes spelled Samsi-Adad) conquered, or otherwise took over, Assur, adding the city to an empire that controlled a vast swath of territory across modern-day Iraq and Syria. Study of inscriptions and archaeological remains indicate that Shamshi-Adad lived sometime around 3,800 years ago and based himself not at Assur but at a site in Syria which is now called "Tell Leilan." Rather than giving himself a modest title, as the earlier Assyrian rulers had done, he instead gave himself a title which scholars often translate as "king of the universe."

Shamshi-Adad's empire did not last for long. After his death the Babylonian Empire, led by Hammurabi, and a kingdom known as "Mittani" or "Hanigalbat" took over Shamshi-Adad's lands. Ancient records indicate that by 1500 B.C. the city of Assur was heavily influenced (if not directly controlled) by Mittani.

Middle Assyrian Period
During the 14th century B.C., the Kingdom of Mitanni began to fade and those in charge of Assur began to assert the city's independence. Modern-day scholars often call this period of newfound Assyrian independence the "Middle Assyrian" period. At the start of this period Assur-Uballit I (reign ca. 1363-1328 B.C.) conquered territory near Assur and sought diplomatic recognition of his status from the kings of Egypt and Babylonia.

His successors further enlarged Assyrian territory. Adad-nirari I (reign ca. 1305-1274 B.C.) conquered Mitanni, taking over a kingdom that had ruled Assyria a century earlier. Adad-nirari I claimed that he "sowed salt over" the Mittani capital of Taidu and imposed labor obligations on the city's survivors. He constructed a palace over Taidu saying that he built it "from top to bottom" and deposited a stelae to mark his control of the city (translation by Albert Kirk Grayson). Adad-nirari I also used the title "king of the universe" to describe himself, a title which future Assyrian kings would also use.

Ancient records say that the successors of Adad-nirari I continued to expand Assyria. The Assyrians conquered Babylon during the reign of Tukulti-Ninurta I (reign ca. 1243-1207 B.C.) and reached the Mediterranean coast during the reign of Tiglath-Pileser I (1114-1076 B.C.). Tiglath-Pileser marked the achievement by bringing back cedar wood for building projects.

The martial prowess and skill of the Assyrian kings continued to be emphasized in ancient inscriptions. Tiglath-Pileser I boasted in one inscription that "altogether I conquered 42 lands and their rulers" from across the Middle East, adding that he was a "valiant man" with an "unrivalled bow" who was such a good hunter that "I killed on foot 120 lions with my wildly vigorous assault" (translation by Albert Kirk Grayson).

However, inscriptions from Tiglath-Pileser's time, and that of his successors, point to problems Assyria was experiencing. Cities and civilizations across the Middle East were collapsing as a group of people from the Aegean arrived in the region, displacing local populations and collapsing trade networks. Assyrian records indicate that Tiglath-Pileser and his successors frequently fought against the Arameans, a group of people who were displaced or otherwise caught up in the chaos. In the two centuries following Tiglath-Pileser's conquest, Assyria's territory gradually contracted, the kingdom retaining control of Assur and territory near it. Assyria didn't expand again on a large scale until the 9th century B.C.

https://img.purch.com/h/1400/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMD AwLzA1NC8zNTMvb3JpZ2luYWwvMTQtVHJlYXN1cmVzLW9mLU1l c29wb3RhbWlhLkpQRz8xMzcyNDQ4NjQ5

Fall of Assyria
While the Assyrians had pushed far to the west trouble was brewing in the east. During the 7th century B.C. Assyrian rulers had to put down a series of rebellions in Babylonia. Meanwhile a group called the "Medes," based in what is now Iran, also launched attacks on Assyrian forces.

Under attack from two groups, while trying to maintain their holdings in the west, the Assyrian military came under pressure. The Babylonians became fully independent during the reign of the Babylonian King Nabopolassar (reign ca. 625–605 B.C).

In 612 B.C. the Median king Cyaxares (reign ca. 625–585 B.C.) launched a major attack on Nineveh, which the Assyrian king Sinsharishkun (reign ca. 622–612 B.C.) tried to stop. A Babylonian inscription said that the fight for Nineveh went on for a few months. "Three battles were fought" in that time, following which the Medians stormed the city itself. The city fell and was destroyed by the Median army who turned the city "into ruin hills and heaps of debris," (translation by CJ Gadd).

The Assyrians fought further battles but their military was gradually drained and their territory destroyed or taken over. It's not clear if Sinsharishkun died at Nineveh or sometime later in a future battle. By 600 B.C. the Assyrian kingdom had been completely destroyed.

Although many Assyrian cities were destroyed or badly damaged, some Assyrians survived the downfall. The survivors, and those descended from them, lived through a long line of rulers. In the period after the time of Christ, the Assyrians converted to Christianity, a religion which they have kept through present day.

Today, the Assyrian homeland is still in northern Iraq; however, the destruction brought about by the terrorist group ISIL (also known as ISIS or Daesh) has resulted in many Assyrians being killed or forced to flee. ISIL has also destroyed, looted or heavily damaged many Assyrian sites, including Nimrud.

Sikeliot
07-23-2018, 02:48 PM
They are also partially the ancestors of Iraqi Jews.

Böri
07-23-2018, 03:11 PM
They are responsible for early Medo-Persian empire. Achaemenids got civilization (statehood, alphabet etc) from them.
Assyrians and Babylonians inherited from Akkadians, who were first Semites to get a civilization. And in turn, the Akkadians got civilization from the non-Semite, non-IE Sumerians.

Slavic Italian
07-23-2018, 04:34 PM
I've actually have read articles where they say today's Germans are the Assyrians.

Kamal900
07-23-2018, 04:40 PM
I've actually have read articles where they say today's Germans are the Assyrians.

wut?

StonyArabia
08-21-2018, 10:31 PM
wut?

It's a nonsense that has to do with Christian Identity and British Israelism. A pathetic movement that says that the Anglo-Saxons are the Israelites LOL, and the Germans are the Assyrians. However there is no genetic or archaeological evidence. Also the Asssyrians are related to other Near Easterners than they are to any European lol.

Congolese Rice
08-21-2018, 10:50 PM
peppels from syria :^)

lol idk, native levantines? mesopotamians? idfk.

arkas
08-21-2018, 10:52 PM
What is the difference between an Assyrian and a Syrian?

StonyArabia
08-21-2018, 11:02 PM
What is the difference between an Assyrian and a Syrian?

Syrian an Arab speaking person from Syria, often Arabized in origins, unless they are from the Bedouin tribes. Often adheres to Islam usually Sunni, although Alwaite, Druze, Ismaili, and 12er Shia exist, as well minority of Christians. They speak Levantine Arabic

Assyrians a native Mesopotamian ethnic group, that eventually converted to Christianity, with some converting to Judaism, their original homeland is mostly located in Northern Iraq, as well parts of northwest Iran, parts of southeast Turkey, and northwest Syria. They often speak neo-Aramaic dialects.

Armenian Bishop
08-21-2018, 11:05 PM
The Assyrians weren't able to capture Jerusalem, and bypassed it to invade Egypt; and, the Phoenicians in Tyre also were able to withstand Assyria's sophisticated siege tactics. Tyre was based on an island near the Levantine Coastline, and its navy made it even more difficult to approach the city. As for Jerusalem, the Assyrians besieged it twice, but on both occasions they failed to breach the walls and enter the city. The 2nd Siege of Jerusalem was in 701 BC. Nebuchadnezzar II of Babylon did breach the walls and capture Jerusalem a century later, in 597 BC, shortly after Assyria bit the dust.

arkas
08-21-2018, 11:08 PM
Syrian an Arab speaking person from Syria, often Arabized in origins, unless they are from the Bedouin tribes. Often adheres to Islam usually Sunni, although Alwaite, Druze, Ismaili, and 12er Shia exist, as well minority of Christians. They speak Levantine Arabic

Assyrians a native Mesopotamian ethnic group, that eventually converted to Christianity, with some converting to Judaism, their original homeland is mostly located in Northern Iraq, as well parts of northwest Iran, parts of southeast Turkey, and northwest Syria. They often speak neo-Aramaic dialects.

Ah, now this is a good simple explanation. Thanks.

Aren
08-21-2018, 11:10 PM
The Assyrians are a people who have lived in the Middle East since ancient times and today can be found all over the world.

In ancient times their civilization was centered at the city of Assur (also called Ashur), the ruins of which are located in what is now northern Iraq. The city had a god that was also called Assur or Ashur. The territory that the Assyrians controlled could be vast, stretching at times from southern Iraq to the Mediterranean Coast.

The city of Assur first gained its independence about 4,000 years ago. Before independence the city was controlled by a people known as the Sumerians and only gained its independence after the Sumerian civilization declined.

https://img.purch.com/w/660/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMD AwLzA4NC8wNzAvb3JpZ2luYWwvYXNzeXJpYW5zLTcuanBn

Modern-day scholars often divide Assyrian history into three periods: the Old Assyrian, Middle Assyrian and Neo-Assyrian periods. The timespan that each period covers is a source of debate among scholars.

Old Assyrian Period
The "Old Assyrian" period generally refers to the time after Assyria first gained independence around 4,000 years ago.

Ancient texts indicate that Assyria's size and power were limited in the period after it gained independence. Its early rulers didn't refer to themselves as a "king" in their inscriptions. Instead they called themselves a "vicegerent" (a word that can mean "governor") of the god Ashur.

"Erishum, the vicegerent of the god Ashur, son of Ilushuma, vicegerent of the god Ashur, built the entire temple area of the temple of the god Ashur…" reads part of an inscription found on an Assyrian temple's stairway (translation by Albert Kirk Grayson). Why Assyria's early rulers used such modest titles is a mystery that scholars are still trying to understand.

All pretense of modesty came to an end when a ruler named "Shamshi-Adad" (sometimes spelled Samsi-Adad) conquered, or otherwise took over, Assur, adding the city to an empire that controlled a vast swath of territory across modern-day Iraq and Syria. Study of inscriptions and archaeological remains indicate that Shamshi-Adad lived sometime around 3,800 years ago and based himself not at Assur but at a site in Syria which is now called "Tell Leilan." Rather than giving himself a modest title, as the earlier Assyrian rulers had done, he instead gave himself a title which scholars often translate as "king of the universe."

Shamshi-Adad's empire did not last for long. After his death the Babylonian Empire, led by Hammurabi, and a kingdom known as "Mittani" or "Hanigalbat" took over Shamshi-Adad's lands. Ancient records indicate that by 1500 B.C. the city of Assur was heavily influenced (if not directly controlled) by Mittani.

Middle Assyrian Period
During the 14th century B.C., the Kingdom of Mitanni began to fade and those in charge of Assur began to assert the city's independence. Modern-day scholars often call this period of newfound Assyrian independence the "Middle Assyrian" period. At the start of this period Assur-Uballit I (reign ca. 1363-1328 B.C.) conquered territory near Assur and sought diplomatic recognition of his status from the kings of Egypt and Babylonia.

His successors further enlarged Assyrian territory. Adad-nirari I (reign ca. 1305-1274 B.C.) conquered Mitanni, taking over a kingdom that had ruled Assyria a century earlier. Adad-nirari I claimed that he "sowed salt over" the Mittani capital of Taidu and imposed labor obligations on the city's survivors. He constructed a palace over Taidu saying that he built it "from top to bottom" and deposited a stelae to mark his control of the city (translation by Albert Kirk Grayson). Adad-nirari I also used the title "king of the universe" to describe himself, a title which future Assyrian kings would also use.

Ancient records say that the successors of Adad-nirari I continued to expand Assyria. The Assyrians conquered Babylon during the reign of Tukulti-Ninurta I (reign ca. 1243-1207 B.C.) and reached the Mediterranean coast during the reign of Tiglath-Pileser I (1114-1076 B.C.). Tiglath-Pileser marked the achievement by bringing back cedar wood for building projects.

The martial prowess and skill of the Assyrian kings continued to be emphasized in ancient inscriptions. Tiglath-Pileser I boasted in one inscription that "altogether I conquered 42 lands and their rulers" from across the Middle East, adding that he was a "valiant man" with an "unrivalled bow" who was such a good hunter that "I killed on foot 120 lions with my wildly vigorous assault" (translation by Albert Kirk Grayson).

However, inscriptions from Tiglath-Pileser's time, and that of his successors, point to problems Assyria was experiencing. Cities and civilizations across the Middle East were collapsing as a group of people from the Aegean arrived in the region, displacing local populations and collapsing trade networks. Assyrian records indicate that Tiglath-Pileser and his successors frequently fought against the Arameans, a group of people who were displaced or otherwise caught up in the chaos. In the two centuries following Tiglath-Pileser's conquest, Assyria's territory gradually contracted, the kingdom retaining control of Assur and territory near it. Assyria didn't expand again on a large scale until the 9th century B.C.

https://img.purch.com/h/1400/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMD AwLzA1NC8zNTMvb3JpZ2luYWwvMTQtVHJlYXN1cmVzLW9mLU1l c29wb3RhbWlhLkpQRz8xMzcyNDQ4NjQ5

Fall of Assyria
While the Assyrians had pushed far to the west trouble was brewing in the east. During the 7th century B.C. Assyrian rulers had to put down a series of rebellions in Babylonia. Meanwhile a group called the "Medes," based in what is now Iran, also launched attacks on Assyrian forces.

Under attack from two groups, while trying to maintain their holdings in the west, the Assyrian military came under pressure. The Babylonians became fully independent during the reign of the Babylonian King Nabopolassar (reign ca. 625–605 B.C).

In 612 B.C. the Median king Cyaxares (reign ca. 625–585 B.C.) launched a major attack on Nineveh, which the Assyrian king Sinsharishkun (reign ca. 622–612 B.C.) tried to stop. A Babylonian inscription said that the fight for Nineveh went on for a few months. "Three battles were fought" in that time, following which the Medians stormed the city itself. The city fell and was destroyed by the Median army who turned the city "into ruin hills and heaps of debris," (translation by CJ Gadd).

The Assyrians fought further battles but their military was gradually drained and their territory destroyed or taken over. It's not clear if Sinsharishkun died at Nineveh or sometime later in a future battle. By 600 B.C. the Assyrian kingdom had been completely destroyed.

Although many Assyrian cities were destroyed or badly damaged, some Assyrians survived the downfall. The survivors, and those descended from them, lived through a long line of rulers. In the period after the time of Christ, the Assyrians converted to Christianity, a religion which they have kept through present day.

Today, the Assyrian homeland is still in northern Iraq; however, the destruction brought about by the terrorist group ISIL (also known as ISIS or Daesh) has resulted in many Assyrians being killed or forced to flee. ISIL has also destroyed, looted or heavily damaged many Assyrian sites, including Nimrud.

Assyria survived as a region within the Persian, Greek and Roman empires after it's fall until the Islamic invasion. I believe the Achaemenids called Upper Mesopotamia for "Athura", this word survived has yet today in that we call ourself "Athuraye". Generally speaking Assyrians seems to have been treated quite well under the Persian rule as the Assyrian region was quite influential. The creation of the Church of the East seems to have formed with great collebration with the Persians aswell as it became the state Church. There are several old churches in Upper Mesopotamia named after Persian converts.

Babak
08-21-2018, 11:11 PM
Assyria survived as a region within the Persian, Greek and Roman empires after it's fall until the Islamic invasion. I believe the Achaemenids called Upper Mesopotamia for "Athura", this word survived has yet today in that we call ourself "Athuraye". Generally speaking Assyrians seems to have been treated quite well under the Persian rule as the Assyrian region was quite influential. The creation of the Church of the East seems to have formed with great collebration with the Persians aswell as it became the state Church. There are several old churches in Upper Mesopotamia named after Persian converts.[emoji4] cheers brother

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Babak
08-22-2018, 10:47 PM
@Finnish Swede Are you butthurt that Assyrians were the first christian coverts and not some wet smelly finno? You are literally the definition of OWD.

AphroditeWorshiper
08-22-2018, 11:03 PM
They are also partially the ancestors of Iraqi Jews.

they are the ancestors of all Jews( at least the oldest jews, Abraham...)

they came from Caucasus(they was the same people as Armenians)

Kivan
12-02-2019, 04:13 AM
On Apricity at least, they are the kangz of OWD.

Their main modus-operandi is focusing in "borderline Europeans" such as Sicilians and Maltese to make a connection between them.
Generally they think that, because they are Christian, they are closer to Europeans than their semitic kin.

Never seen a creature with such inferiority complex/self-hatred in my life :laugh:

https://abload.de/img/fireshotcapture884-cl6nkj0.png
https://abload.de/img/fireshotcapture883-cl2vko5.png
https://abload.de/img/fireshotcapture901-aremk7q.png
https://abload.de/img/fireshotcapture902-noadkbw.png
https://abload.de/img/fireshotcapture903-qupaj2x.png
https://abload.de/img/fireshotcapture904-whf9kk0.png
https://abload.de/img/fireshotcapture905-sha1khs.png
https://abload.de/img/fireshotcapture906-rak4k9z.png

Babak
12-02-2019, 04:29 AM

Their main modus-operandi is focusing in "borderline Europeans" such as Sicilians and Maltese to make a connection between them.
Generally they think that, because they are Christian, they are closer to Europeans than their semitic kin.

Never seen a creature with such inferiority complex/self-hatred in my life :laugh:

Yea, I've noticed that. Though, its a fact that they are 100x times closer to west asians despite being christians. Nazarene is cool though.

Nazarene
12-02-2019, 08:46 AM

Rich that the criticism comes from the most OWD poster on the forum. Genetically / phenotypically we are closer to all Middle Eastern populations (including Turks), when have I ever denied that? In fact, if anything Turks always try to deny their connection with populations like Armenians and try to reach out to the "borderline Europeans" to get away from their kin.

Religiously, we (mostly Christian) are of course closer in faith to most Europeans (mostly Christian) than Middle Easterners (mostly Muslim). So there is a shared faith / morality in that sense.

Pine
12-02-2019, 09:04 AM
Rich that the criticism comes from the most OWD poster on the forum. Genetically / phenotypically we are closer to all Middle Eastern populations (including Turks), when have I ever denied that? In fact, if anything Turks always try to deny their connection with populations like Armenians and try to reach out to the "borderline Europeans" to get away from their kin.

Religiously, we (mostly Christian) are of course closer in faith to most Europeans (mostly Christian) than Middle Easterners (mostly Muslim). So there is a shared faith / morality in that sense.

Assyrians aren't "closer" to Middle Easterners. Assyrians are Middle Eastern. European admixture, though tiny, is mostly found among Muslims, as Crusaders didn't rape their own. I've never heard of an Assyrian with a European subclade. Assyrians are maybe the most Middle Eastern group there is. They don't have European admixture. They don't show African admixture from the slave trade. They don't show Berber admixture, in case you don't consider that Middle Eastern. And they don't show East Asian admixture, from what I recall. They are Mesopotamian/Levantine hybrids from the couple studies I read on them, where the Mesopotamian element is predominant (about 2/3s), but it may vary by Assyrian group.

Nazarene
12-02-2019, 09:10 AM
Assyrians aren't "closer" to Middle Easterners. Assyrians are Middle Eastern. European admixture, though tiny, is mostly found among Muslims, as Crusaders didn't rape their own. I've never heard of an Assyrian with a European subclade. Assyrians are maybe the most Middle Eastern group there is. They don't have European admixture. They don't show African admixture from the slave trade. They don't show Berber admixture, in case you don't consider that Middle Eastern. And they don't show East Asian admixture, from what I recall. They are Mesopotamian/Levantine hybrids from the couple studies I read on them, where the Mesopotamian element is predominant (about 2/3s), but it may vary by Assyrian group.

Yes I agree with you, we are purely Middle Eastern. Most other groups in the region weren't as endogamous as us.

Samnium
12-02-2019, 09:41 AM

Lol S.Italian predominantly East Med. A typical S.Italian is dinaro med not east med.

And no the europe boundaries exist, except East Med populations (C/S.Italians, Greeks, Albanians, part of Bulgaria) every european is closer to each other before being closer to Levantines and by a very far distance.

By the way white is a synonym of european.

Nazarene
12-02-2019, 10:09 AM
You would come attack us on this thread to take a cheap shot at us you fucking pussy. Where are you now Kivan? You little bitch.

Kivan
12-02-2019, 10:15 AM

Turks associate themselves with other Turkic peoples. The only European who Turks associate themselves are Hungarians (and that are only some users).

You gypsies are the most European wannabe here (the images in the previous post shows it) and constantly deepthroat Greeks and Italians hoping having some "wog facade" with them.
You have nothing to do with us either. You are closer to Arabs rather than us:
http://www.nevgen.org/PCA%20charts/PCA%20Europe%20and%20vicinity%20axis%203-1%20a.png

Lol S.Italian predominantly East Med. A typical S.Italian is dinaro med not east med.

And no the europe boundaries exist, except East Med populations (C/S.Italians, Greeks, Albanians, part of Bulgaria) every european is closer to each other before being closer to Levantines and by a very far distance.

Say that to self-hating Christian Arab in the previous page.

Kamal900
12-02-2019, 10:17 AM

No. Assyrians are very proud to identify themselves as middle easterners while Turkish members here like Bathier, Kemaliste and others always tried to link themselves to Europeans including yourself btw where you always post pictures and videos showcasing how light and secular the Turks are in comparison to other middle easterners where I haven't seen any Assyrian here doing that sort of thing. It's called psychological self-projections.

lameduck
12-02-2019, 10:19 AM
No. Assyrians are very proud to identify themselves as middle easterners while Turkish members here like Bathier, Kemaliste and others always tried to link themselves to Europeans including yourself btw where you always post pictures and videos showcasing how light and secular the Turks are in comparison to other middle easterners where I haven't seen any Assyrian here doing that sort of thing. It's called psychological self-projections.

all assyrian members are good and quality members , shelati even dont like it when middle easterners put down south asians and try to distance from pakis/south asians , how is he OWD Lol.

Kamal900
12-02-2019, 10:22 AM

Aegean Greek Islanders and Southern Italians(not of all of them) do have varying degree of Levantine and other West Asian admixtures in them if you see their G25 results, but for me, they're just as European as other Europeans who don't have such ancestries in their genepools.

Nazarene
12-02-2019, 10:30 AM
Turks associate themselves with other Turkic peoples.

Yeah that's probably even worse.

-

They are Levantines, not "Arabs."

https://i.postimg.cc/CMR7V0QF/abcd.png

LOL keep trying.

Kamal900
12-02-2019, 10:34 AM
Turks associate themselves with other Turkic peoples. The only European who Turks associate themselves are Hungarians (and that are only some users).

You gypsies are the most European wannabe here (the images in the previous post shows it) and constantly deepthroat Greeks and Italians hoping having some "wog facade" with them.
You have nothing to do with us either. You are closer to Arabs rather than us:
http://www.nevgen.org/PCA%20charts/PCA%20Europe%20and%20vicinity%20axis%203-1%20a.png

They cluster far more closely to us Levantines, who are genetically predominately Levantines/Canaanites, not to Arabians like Saudis, Yemenis and BedouinB peoples. Assyrians are not Arabs the same way that Anatolian Turks are not the same as other Turkic ethnic groups of the world. Well, a portion of the Turks associate themselves to Europeans like Kemaliste, Bathier, that "Bulgarian" Turkish woman and etc, and the other portion associate themselves to other Turkic peoples of the world where most don't even care about Turks or Turkey in general(Azeris are an exception, not the rule).

lameduck
12-02-2019, 10:39 AM
Aegean Greek Islanders and Southern Italians(not of all of them) do have varying degree of Levantine and other West Asian admixtures in them if you see their G25 results, but for me, they're just as European as other Europeans who don't have such ancestries in their genepools.

also phenotypically people of levant/assyrians are east med , which is part of greater mediterranean race and do share a degree of commonality with mediterranean europeans, but it has become a taboo on these boards to discuss scineitifc and historical links(before islamization) with europeans without being called OWD. One reason is islamization of east med region , other is that europeans have just left others way too behind in terms of contributions to civilization , so they dont want to share anything with others.

OrhanU
12-02-2019, 10:47 AM
My Dodecad K12b results below;

My paternal grandma is from Mardin/Turkey. I took some comments in forums that she is possibly Assyrian. I have never heard of that, according to results below, can I catch some proof she really is?

Population
Gedrosia 9.29 Pct
Siberian 0.81 Pct
Northwest_African 0.26 Pct
Southeast_Asian 3.03 Pct
Atlantic_Med 18.07 Pct
North_European 27.62 Pct
South_Asian -
East_African 0.08 Pct
Southwest_Asian 9.69 Pct
East_Asian -
Caucasus 30.85 Pct
Sub_Saharan 0.31 Pct

Least-squares method.

Using 1 population approximation:
1 Bulgarian_Dodecad @ 11.846452
2 Romanians_Behar @ 13.586511
3 Bulgarians_Yunusbayev @ 13.711741
4 Greek_Dodecad @ 15.566782
5 O_Italian_Dodecad @ 17.377871
6 Ashkenazy_Jews_Behar @ 20.080824
7 C_Italian_Dodecad @ 20.694992
8 Ashkenazi_Dodecad @ 20.742565
9 S_Italian_Sicilian_Dodecad @ 21.447371
10 Sicilian_Dodecad @ 21.796989
11 Tuscan_HGDP @ 22.555927
12 TSI30_Metspalu @ 23.160881
13 Nogais_Yunusbayev @ 24.916891
14 Turkish_Dodecad @ 25.146383
15 N_Italian_Dodecad @ 25.570414
16 Sephardic_Jews_Behar @ 26.205488
17 Turks_Behar @ 26.628248
18 Kumyks_Yunusbayev @ 26.949678
19 Morocco_Jews_Behar @ 28.379190
20 Hungarians_Behar @ 28.409132

Using 2 populations approximation:
1 50% Hungarians_Behar +50% Uzbekistan_Jews_Behar @ 4.449948

Using 3 populations approximation:
1 50% Greek_Dodecad +25% Kurds_Yunusbayev +25% Russian_HGDP @ 3.412281

Balthier
12-02-2019, 12:08 PM

Curb you inferiority complex you fool, i have never, ever did such a thing, and if you cant prove that i did then you are a two faced liar. Enough with you boot licking already, you butthurt idiot.

Hajimurad
12-02-2019, 12:27 PM
Assyrians are Aramaic-speaking Christians of Iraq and South-Eastern Turkey. They got their name from Assyrian empire, who launched mass deportations of conquered people (mainly Arameans, Hurrians and Luwians). In Sassanid times their land was called Beth-Aramaye (land of Arameans) and Asorestan (land of Assyrians). Religiously they divided into two denominations:
- Syriac Orthodox (Jacobites) in Mardin and Tur-Abdin.
- Church of East (Nestorians) in Northern Iraq (formerly in Hakkari).
Some of them became united with papacy and created Chaldean and Syro-Catholic churches.
Many people confused ancient and modern Assyrians. Ancient Assyrians speak Akkadian language and wrote in cuneiform. Modern ones are Aramaic speakers and use Canaanite-derived Aramaic alphabet.

Nazarene
12-02-2019, 01:11 PM
My Dodecad K12b results below;

My paternal grandma is from Mardin/Turkey. I took some comments in forums that she is possibly Assyrian. I have never heard of that, according to results below, can I catch some proof she really is?

Population
Gedrosia 9.29 Pct
Siberian 0.81 Pct
Northwest_African 0.26 Pct
Southeast_Asian 3.03 Pct
Atlantic_Med 18.07 Pct
North_European 27.62 Pct
South_Asian -
East_African 0.08 Pct
Southwest_Asian 9.69 Pct
East_Asian -
Caucasus 30.85 Pct
Sub_Saharan 0.31 Pct

Least-squares method.

Using 1 population approximation:
1 Bulgarian_Dodecad @ 11.846452
2 Romanians_Behar @ 13.586511
3 Bulgarians_Yunusbayev @ 13.711741
4 Greek_Dodecad @ 15.566782
5 O_Italian_Dodecad @ 17.377871
6 Ashkenazy_Jews_Behar @ 20.080824
7 C_Italian_Dodecad @ 20.694992
8 Ashkenazi_Dodecad @ 20.742565
9 S_Italian_Sicilian_Dodecad @ 21.447371
10 Sicilian_Dodecad @ 21.796989
11 Tuscan_HGDP @ 22.555927
12 TSI30_Metspalu @ 23.160881
13 Nogais_Yunusbayev @ 24.916891
14 Turkish_Dodecad @ 25.146383
15 N_Italian_Dodecad @ 25.570414
16 Sephardic_Jews_Behar @ 26.205488
17 Turks_Behar @ 26.628248
18 Kumyks_Yunusbayev @ 26.949678
19 Morocco_Jews_Behar @ 28.379190
20 Hungarians_Behar @ 28.409132

Using 2 populations approximation:
1 50% Hungarians_Behar +50% Uzbekistan_Jews_Behar @ 4.449948

Using 3 populations approximation:
1 50% Greek_Dodecad +25% Kurds_Yunusbayev +25% Russian_HGDP @ 3.412281

It's possible, there was a strong Assyrian presence in Mardin prior to 1915. Although a lot were killed and many others had to flee during the genocide, I can pm you some kits from that region if you'd like.

archangel
12-04-2019, 09:02 AM
Assyrian people are cool in my book

MustafaTekin
12-04-2019, 09:23 AM
Assyrian flag

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ef/Flag_of_the_Assyrians.svg/1200px-Flag_of_the_Assyrians.svg.png

Zroota
01-28-2020, 01:05 AM

Kivan is a self-hating, mentally ill, illiterate MENA teenager (we have those like him) who thinks he is more like German masters than his Kurdish and Assyrian brothers (when we are in his own top 10 cluster list Lmao). But I'll happily go through his deluded post where he mentioned me, wrongfully accusing me of bullshit (because he is bored and sick of his life):

I think Kivan suffers from a poor eyesight. The North Italian posted here looked extremely West Asian/Arab. Nothing to do with OWD. Here he is:

I compared him to another Assyrian man, who looked less 'Arabid' compared to him. Nothing OWD. Just common sense. Besides, the OP likely posted a gypsy or NA mixed Italian. Kivan was too stupid to not see this (not surprised).

Dare I say Maltese (Semitic speakers) and Cypriots (Turkic, Greek and Arabic speaking minorities closer to Levantines) are quote unquote "white". Besides, most people in this forum agree that Levantine east meds look like Cypriots and Maltese to some degree. :rolleyes2:

Kivan's illiteracy and stupidity at its finest here. Some North Italian was obsessed with posting blonde and blue eyed Italians. Everyone pointed this out saying something in the likes of "we get it, Italians are white already, no need to prove anything". And I was doing the same, albeit in a sarcastic tone -- I'm guessing he is too obtuse to realise that?

Lol. So saying race is gradient is OWD. I'll say it again, Lebanese would cluster more close to Cypriots than Yemenis and Qataris, even though they're from the Middle East. Europeans may cluster closer together, but that doesn't mean they are the contiguous white race, when there are pure white, non-Euro Caucasians in Central Asia and the Caucasus. Again, a feeder to his agenda.

A geographical and climatic fact. Saudi Arabia is different than Lebanon as climate and vegetation goes. And most Lebanese people are lighter than Saudi Arabians, just the same way most Austrians are lighter than Italians in general. But this is OWD I guess.

He is butthurt that Europe will take in more MENA Christians here. This was a stupid one. But I understand why he is so disgruntled after reading this thread.

Saudi Arabians and Yemenis have more Veddoid and extremely Arabid looking types than all of West Asia. Yep, very OWD. I should be arrested already. :bored:
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________________
Such a sad thing with this guy. Many Turks in this forum are cool. Him and the "Thracian" Itvulva are just sour towards us (and their Islamic friends Kurds too Lmao) because they see themselves as lighter, Nordic people compared to us. They fawn over the European users too (but I'm glad that people like Cristiano Viejo put them back in their MENA place hahahaha). Shows who really is OWD in here. And most people in this forum actually have pointed Kivan's OWD-ism. It's rather funny, really. He is projecting so badly, and throwing it on me.

Speaking of Kurds, if they were a minority in northwestern Turkey I'm sure Kivan and his Itvulva girlfriend would suck on to them, but because they're from the southeast they are "dark, gypsy MENAs". Lmao. Kivan also has a thing for the white-shifted Georgians in the north Caucasus. Now place the Georgians in southeastern Turkey, Kivan will see them negatively and will irrationally distance himself from them, as a good self-hating MENA he is in the name of colorism and Nordicism. Just predictable and pathetic. But I am entertained of course. :cool:

Aileron
01-28-2020, 08:11 AM
Assyrians are an integrated part of our nation.
When we were in high school we made a trip to Mardin Midyat and visided Mor Gabriel Monastry.
It was great experiement.

Bosniensis
01-28-2020, 08:23 AM
Assyrians today live mostly in Turkey as part of Turkish nation, they spoke several languages, the most popular ones are Arameiac and Luwian in Anatolia.

They have heavily influenced Etruscan language and are therefore linguistic ancestors of Latin language.

When Assyrian and Neo-Assyrian people mixed with Pelasgians, and Celtic people through 1000 years a Greek and Roman world was born.

They are daddy's of classical Mediterranean.

Abdelnour
01-28-2020, 12:15 PM
Assyrians are good people in my books. Shame that they losing their homeland due to radical Islam.

Bosniensis
01-28-2020, 12:24 PM
Assyrians are good people in my books. Shame that they losing their homeland due to radical Islam.

They are predominantly muslims, like 80%

Assyrians and Syrians are the same thing, both name used because of religious differences.

Zroota
01-28-2020, 12:37 PM

Assyrians and Syrians are the same thing, both name used because of religious differences.
Is this sarcasm or are you genuinely misinformed about us?

Assyrians are indigenous to northern Iraq, southeastern Turkey and northwestern Iran. They are not Levantines. The Assyrians from Syria are recent immigrants there who have lived in the country since the 1930s or so, escaping Iraq after the Simele Massacre perpetrated by Baathists. Assyrians are 99% Christian and a small minority are secular.

Syrians are culturally Arab, who have been greatly admixed with ancient Phoenicians, Arameans, Hebrews/Jews, Ottomans, Arabians and many others. They are a mixed bunch, although they generally do look quite similar to us and we do cluster close with them. Most of them are Muslim, with a few orthodox and Catholic minorities.

As names go, 'Syria' to Assyria' is what 'Belarus' is to 'Russia'. They have similar linguistic meaning, but the people are still ethnically different or distinct.

Bosniensis
01-28-2020, 12:46 PM
Is this sarcasm or are you genuinely misinformed about us?

Assyrians are indigenous to northern Iraq, southeastern Turkey and northwestern Iran. They are not Levantines. The Assyrians from Syria are recent immigrants there who have lived in the country since the 1930s or so, escaping Iraq after the Simele Massacre perpetrated by Baathists. Assyrians are 99% Christian and a small minority are secular.

Syrians are culturally Arab, who have been greatly admixed with ancient Phoenicians, Arameans, Hebrews/Jews, Ottomans, Arabians and many others. They are a mixed bunch, although they generally do look quite similar to us and we do cluster close with them. Most of them are Muslim, with a few orthodox and Catholic minorities.

As names go, 'Syria' to Assyria' is what 'Belarus' is to 'Russia'. They have similar linguistic meaning, but the people are still ethnically different or distinct.

You have basically said that Syrian Muslims have massacred Syrian Christians therefore you two divided into Syrians and Assyrians.

All that you ascribe to Assyrian people can easily be ascribed to Syrian people.

Assyrian Christians mixed with Christian Arabs therefore you are no different to Syrian.

The use Assyrian against Syrian is byitself an oxymoronism like Copts vs Egyptians. Even Coptic Pope came out and said: We are Egyptians just like those Muslims.

But I understand your position.

Zroota
01-28-2020, 01:23 PM
You have basically said that Syrian Muslims have massacred Syrian Christians therefore you two divided into Syrians and Assyrians.
Who said Syrian Muslims have massacred Syrian Christians? I said Baathists massacred Assyrians in Iraq. Baathists as in Iraqi Arab Baathists (which included some Iraqi Kurds). Nothing to do with Syria. Assyrians have never lived in Syria, at least until the 1930s when they fled to Northwestern Syria to seek refuge. They have historically always been in located northern Iraq and in the southwestern fringe of eastern Turkey. Heard of our cities like Assur and Nineveh? They are in what is now northern Iraq, not Syria.

All that you ascribe to Assyrian people can easily be ascribed to Syrian people.
Again. Two different peoples who come from two different nations with distinct historical backgrounds (one Assyrian/Akkadian/Babylonian and the other Aramean/Phoenician/Hittite). As different as Romanians and Bulgarians. Perhaps Syrian Christians may have been mistreated, but that doesn't make them Assyrian. And naturally, any citizen living in Syria will be a Syrian. There are Kurdish, Armenian, Turkmen, Azeri and Jewish Syrians. Does this mean these people are 'native' Syrians too and indigenous there? Of course not. They're all immigrants or recent settlers, and are mere minorities in Syria, alongside the Assyrians.

Assyrian Christians mixed with Christian Arabs therefore you are no different to Syrian.
We did not mix with Christian Arabs, besides a small group of Assyrians who may have, as they did with Armenians, Mandeans and Iraqi Arabs (no ethnic group is 100% pure anyway). That said, we are ethnically and linguistically distinct from Syrians and the more purer types in Western Asia. Otherwise, we wouldn't be speaking Aramaic and Arabic instead. Please, not to sound offensive, what would a complete foreigner know about us? How would you feel if I pretended to be an expert on Bosnians, Serbs and Croats and say "all the same" or other ignorant things? I think you'd cyber-murder me. Lol.

The use Assyrian against Syrian is byitself an oxymoronism like Copts vs Egyptians. Even Coptic Pope came out and said: We are Egyptians just like those Muslims.
Um, right, except Copts are in Egypt. Copts are native Egyptians and are indigenous to the land. So the Pope is right. They are just Egyptian Christians. Just like Lebanese Christians and Muslims are still Lebanese.

Assyrians, on the other hand, are Mesopotamians (native to northern Iraq near Turkey and Iran) and have no strong blood relations to Syrians. You are comparing apples and oranges. If anything, we are more closely related to Armenians and some northern Iraqi Arabs, Mandeans, Georgian Jews, Iranian Jews, Kurdish Jews and as well Kurdish Muslims. Syrians and Lebanese people come later, but depending on the Assyrian they may be more more closer.

You'll make a more credible point if you say modern day Iraqi Arabs are homogeneous to us. At least they're from the same region, despite being heavily Arabicized. I mean, Syria to our homeland is like Croatia to Romania or something. Not sure why you're likening us to people or a country who are not even from our region?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d0/99/e3/d099e3e68acf8cad0793e7e86ea00ce2.png
https://www1.cbn.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_xl_640x480/public/nineveh_plains.png?itok=nLrGHe1G

My Gedmatch results (look where Syrian is):
https://i.postimg.cc/tTVgL4Nd/ged.png

Where Assyrians cluster (notice how relatively distant Syrians are):
https://i.postimg.cc/wMfbLgnP/assyriandna.png

With all due respect, you really do not. As a foreigner, you should listen to what we have to say about our background and culture. We know our country more than you do. Like, come on.

Aileron
01-28-2020, 07:07 PM

Dude you are pretty good at trolling people you know

Hajimurad
01-29-2020, 01:03 PM

Western Aramaics (Syrians) are different from Eastern Aramaics (Assyrians). Former are descended from Semitic tribes (Amoreans/Canaanites/Arameans and even Arabs), so they are Mediterranid/Orientalid mix, while latter assimilated large number of non-Semitic groups (Hurrians, Armenians), so they are mainly Taurid (Assyroid/Armenoid) by race.

Hajimurad
01-29-2020, 01:09 PM
Who said Syrian Muslims have massacred Syrian Christians? I said Baathists massacred Assyrians in Iraq. Baathists as in Iraqi Arab Baathists (which included some Iraqi Kurds). Nothing to do with Syria. Assyrians have never lived in Syria, at least until the 1930s when they fled to Northwestern Syria to seek refuge. They have historically always been in located northern Iraq and in the southwestern fringe of eastern Turkey. Heard of our cities like Assur and Nineveh? They are in what is now northern Iraq, not Syria.

Again. Two different peoples who come from two different nations with distinct historical backgrounds (one Assyrian/Akkadian/Babylonian and the other Aramean/Phoenician/Hittite). As different as Romanians and Bulgarians. Perhaps Syrian Christians may have been mistreated, but that doesn't make them Assyrian. And naturally, any citizen living in Syria will be a Syrian. There are Kurdish, Armenian, Turkmen, Azeri and Jewish Syrians. Does this mean these people are 'native' Syrians too and indigenous there? Of course not. They're all immigrants or recent settlers, and are mere minorities in Syria, alongside the Assyrians.

We did not mix with Christian Arabs, besides a small group of Assyrians who may have, as they did with Armenians, Mandeans and Iraqi Arabs (no ethnic group is 100% pure anyway). That said, we are ethnically and linguistically distinct from Syrians and the more purer types in Western Asia. Otherwise, we wouldn't be speaking Aramaic and Arabic instead. Please, not to sound offensive, what would a complete foreigner know about us? How would you feel if I pretended to be an expert on Bosnians, Serbs and Croats and say "all the same" or other ignorant things? I think you'd cyber-murder me. Lol.

Assyrians, on the other hand, are Mesopotamians (native to northern Iraq near Turkey and Iran) and have no strong blood relations to Syrians. You are comparing apples and oranges. If anything, we are more closely related to Armenians and some northern Iraqi Arabs, Mandeans, Georgian Jews, Iranian Jews, Kurdish Jews and as well Kurdish Muslims. Syrians and Lebanese people come later, but depending on the Assyrian they may be more more closer.
You'll make a more credible point if you say modern day Iraqi Arabs are homogeneous to us. At least they're from the same region, despite being heavily Arabicized. I mean, Syria to our homeland is like Croatia to Romania or something. Not sure why you're likening us to people or a country who are not even from our region?
With all due respect, you really do not. As a foreigner, you should listen to what we have to say about our background and culture. We know our country more than you do. Like, come on.
As I know, Assyrians,who lived in Hakkari, Bohtan and Tur-Abdin were divided into tribes. Which origin of these tribes? Are they descendants of refugees from Tamerlane or aborigines? From which places came their ancestors? Did they mixed with foreign Christians?

Zroota
01-30-2020, 01:12 AM
As I know, Assyrians,who lived in Hakkari, Bohtan and Tur-Abdin were divided into tribes. Which origin of these tribes? Are they descendants of refugees from Tamerlane or aborigines? From which places came their ancestors? Did they mixed with foreign Christians?
Some say Assyrians have always lived in those tribes in what is now southeastern Turkey, ever since the ancient times. Others say they migrated from ancient Assyrian cities of Assur and Nineveh and formed the tribes there, to escape from the spread of Islamicisation.

Mesoman
09-21-2021, 12:43 AM
they are the ancestors of all Jews( at least the oldest jews, Abraham...)

they came from Caucasus(they was the same people as Armenians)

Bible quotations are not facts. Only eastern mizrahi jews have ancestors from mesopotamia. The ancestors of Iraqi jews are babylonians rather than assyrians.

happycow
09-21-2021, 01:04 AM
My favorite middle easterners along with Persians. :)

chinshen
09-21-2021, 01:30 AM

We Hakkari Assyrians are indigenous to the region of Hakkari and not refugees from the Mongol invasion. You can clearly see that from my Y-dna and mt-dna.

No, we didn't mix with any foreign Christians at all, specifically if you mean Armenians.

Mesoman
09-21-2021, 07:41 PM

Um, right, except Copts are in Egypt. Copts are native Egyptians and are indigenous to the land. So the Pope is right. They are just Egyptian Christians. Just like Lebanese Christians and Muslims are still Lebanese.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d0/99/e3/d099e3e68acf8cad0793e7e86ea00ce2.png
https://www1.cbn.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_xl_640x480/public/nineveh_plains.png?itok=nLrGHe1G

My Gedmatch results (look where Syrian is):
https://i.postimg.cc/tTVgL4Nd/ged.png

Where Assyrians cluster (notice how relatively distant Syrians are):
https://i.postimg.cc/wMfbLgnP/assyriandna.png

The first population to Assyrians is either Azeri Jews or Georgian Jews. Then come Mountain Jews and eventually Armenians, Mandeans, Iranian/ Kurdish Jews, Iraqi Jews and after that Levantines and Iranians.

Kenshiro
02-20-2023, 10:09 AM
Yeah that's probably even worse.

They are Levantines, not "Arabs."

https://i.postimg.cc/CMR7V0QF/abcd.png

LOL keep trying.

Cypriot look perfectly in line with geography, cool