PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry DNA Results Accuracy

GreentheViper
07-26-2018, 01:56 AM
I have 24% Scandinavian ancestry with no known Scandinavian ancestors, expect for a great great grandfather who might not actually be the father of my great grandfather. I theorized if my mother had enough Scandinavian on both sides of her family that she could have gotten a lot and transferd it to me. Also, I have a full blooded German great great grandmother, maybe she could have had some as well.

My maternal ancestors came from Northern Ireland, England, Germany and The Netherlands so maybe my ancestors could have some of that Scandinavian DNA, but that would be extremely far away, my last ancestor came in the 1800s to Canada from Wiltshire England.

What are your thoughts on this, I'd love to know

Thanks

DNA results are in my signature :)

Richmondbread
07-26-2018, 02:12 AM
I have 24% Scandinavian ancestry with no known Scandinavian ancestors, expect for a great great grandfather who might not actually be the father of my great grandfather. I theorized if my mother had enough Scandinavian on both sides of her family that she could have gotten a lot and transferd it to me. Also, I have a full blooded German great great grandmother, maybe she could have had some as well.

My maternal ancestors came from Northern Ireland, England, Germany and The Netherlands so maybe my ancestors could have some of that Scandinavian DNA, but that would be extremely far away, my last ancestor came in the 1800s to Canada from Wiltshire England.

What are your thoughts on this, I'd love to know

Thanks

DNA results are in my signature :)

As I understand it, most of these DNA tests are not pinpoint accuracy, but look for genetic markers. So even if you have no known Scandinavian ancestors, perhaps some of your ancestors had markedly similar DNA structure. It does not guarantee that you actually had a direct ancestor from that ethnicity. There was a lot of admixture in many groups, so it just reflects the settlement.

I got 4.7% Askenazi Jewish on my test, and I have no known Jewish ancestors- at least not on my mother's side who has records going back to King Edward III. My father's side ends around early 19th Century in Germany and Lithuania. But it seems unlikely a Jewish ancestor would be present, since Jews rarely marry outside their ethno-religion. So I'm guessing anyone with Northwest European ancestry can have markers similar to Ashkenazi Jews, as part of the admixture.

GreentheViper
07-26-2018, 02:25 AM
Thanks for taking the time to reply man :)

RandomGuy20
07-26-2018, 03:01 AM
Is that the older update or the newer one? The older updates seemed to overestimate Scandinavian. My brother also had around 25% Scandinavian ancestry on his older test, when it got updated it all dissappeared and became Germanic, it seemed to combine with his western euro and added up to around 30% total Germanic. Similar thing happened to me, except mine kept 4% which became Norwegian, the rest seemed to go to Germanic as well. However the only way to know for sure is to wait for your test to be updated which should hopefully be soon.

GreentheViper
07-26-2018, 03:11 AM
Is that the older update or the newer one? The older updates seemed to overestimate Scandinavian. My brother also had around 25% Scandinavian ancestry on his older test, when it got updated it all dissappeared and became Germanic, it seemed to combine with his western euro and added up to around 30% total Germanic. Similar thing happened to me, except mine kept 4% which became Norwegian, the rest seemed to go to Germanic as well. However the only way to know for sure is to wait for your test to be updated which should hopefully be soon.

Yeah, my test has yet to update on anything but my Native American which it only better pinpointed. I'll wait and see if it updates, thanks for the reply.

Gründig
07-26-2018, 03:12 AM

Do you know what countries the Germanic category covers?

RandomGuy20
07-26-2018, 03:28 AM
Do you know what countries the Germanic category covers?

https://i.imgur.com/4hRN2LL.png

Yellow area is Germanic (broken lines my genetic community), Pale Green England and Wales, Dark Green Eastern Europe.

Richmondbread
07-27-2018, 07:10 PM
I have documented Native American ancestry and it did not come through on either 23andme or ancestry test- unless you count speculative where it says unassigned. There is South Asia reported but at 1%. What is up with that?

Annie999
07-27-2018, 07:17 PM
AncestryDNA overrates scandinavian. I also have 8% with not real roots there. It also misread my lebanese as ashkenazi.

Congolese Rice
08-02-2018, 04:00 AM
AncestryDNA overrates scandinavian. I also have 8% with not real roots there. It also misread my lebanese as ashkenazi.

if its able to do that, no wonder it estimated my middle eastern 3-6% and gave me central asian 2-4%.

they also gave me 48-72% british of which they averaged me 60% XDD

not accurate at all, they need to get their shit together for mixed ppl cuz every test on gedmatch so far shows me to have 20%> middle eastern ancestry.

deez niggas got some explaining 2 do xD