PDA

View Full Version : Surname Hayek in Germany?

Haider
07-27-2018, 07:39 PM
Oddly enough Hayek exists in Germany as a native surname. What are its origins there? It's probably just a coincidence and not related to the much more common Levantine Arabic surname, but still sounds very semitic.

Teutone
07-27-2018, 07:43 PM
Its actually a Germanized Czech Surname and originally it is Hájek

Haider
07-27-2018, 08:52 PM

Interesting. I know someone with the surname Hayek who studies in Germany who is often asked how come they have a 'German' surname. :lol:

Berlko2
07-27-2018, 09:14 PM
Thank god you came up with this because I've always wondered about this surname.

It's the surname of Friedrich Hayek and Salma Hayek, a German philosopher (whom I'm a reader) and a Mexican actress of Levantine descent, and I couldn't understand how they both share the same surname being German and Lebanese.

Now I now it's just a coincidence. An Italian friend of mine bears the surname Ortis, which I thought was Spanish but it's also Italian, though in Spanish it generally ends in "-z". Costa is a common surname in Italy and Iberia too.

There are lots of coincidences throughout different countries.

gıulıoımpa
07-27-2018, 09:16 PM
Thank god you came up with this because I've always wondered about this surname.

It's the surname of Friedrich Hayek and Salma Hayek, a German philosopher (whom I'm a reader) and a Mexican actress of Levantine descent, and I couldn't understand how they both share the same surname being German and Lebanese.

Now I now it's just a coincidence. An Italian friend of mine bears the surname Ortis, which I thought was Spanish but it's also Italian, though in Spanish it generally ends in "-z". Costa is a common surname in Italy and Iberia too.

There are lots of coincidences throughout different countries.

just think about that in Veneto (venetian surnames are known to end in consonant rather than usual vowel) the surname Putin exists as native xD

another story about a Venetian surname, my father knew a guy named "Facchin" (also exists in italian Facchino) but the problem is that this guy went to work in the USA and when it came moment to introduce himself people were a bit "surprised " (reads exactly as "fuck in")

Berlko2
07-27-2018, 09:53 PM
just think about that in Veneto (venetian surnames are known to end in consonant rather than usual vowel) the surname Putin exists as native xD

another story about a Venetian surname, my father knew a guy named "Facchin" (also exists in italian Facchino) but the problem is that this guy went to work in the USA and when it came moment to introduce himself people were a bit "surprised " (reads exactly as "fuck in")

I guess he didn't see it coming when he first arrived to the US lol. If I were him I would pronounce it "Frashin" or something like that.

Surnames in Veneto are special because they break the rule of vowel-ending words in Italian. Some surnames even sound French or Spanish, like Lorenzon, Bordignon, Ballarin, etc. Even Peron (like Juan Domingo) is from Veneto, when I thought it was Spanish.

Mikula
08-13-2018, 08:42 PM

Some HAYEKs could be originated from Czech HÁJEK (little grove) but there are also some HAYEKs of Jewish origin.
AFAIK, Jewish Hayek is derivated from firstname CHAIM

Bobby Martnen
10-29-2018, 08:04 AM
I guess he didn't see it coming when he first arrived to the US lol. If I were him I would pronounce it "Frashin" or something like that.

Surnames in Veneto are special because they break the rule of vowel-ending words in Italian. Some surnames even sound French or Spanish, like Lorenzon, Bordignon, Ballarin, etc. Even Peron (like Juan Domingo) is from Veneto, when I thought it was Spanish.

Apparently, Italian can drop final vowels sometimes.

(Talor dal mio forziere)
(Sei tu forse un uom?)