PDA

View Full Version : Will the EU survive the next decade?

Wulfhere
07-29-2018, 04:06 PM
Or will Brexit prove to be the catalyst that brings the whole edifice down?

Ülev
07-29-2018, 04:11 PM
yes, will expand to Mediterranean region (N. Africa)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_for_the_Mediterraneanhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_for_the_Mediterranean

Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas
07-29-2018, 04:34 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_for_the_Mediterraneanhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_for_the_Mediterranean

Nonsense, I don't think that is possible at all in the near future. Turkey has been trying to apply for more than three decades unsuccessfully and it is a lot more stable and "democratic" than the whole north african region.

Teutone
07-29-2018, 04:48 PM
no it will not survive and I cannot wait for it to collapse

Ülev
07-29-2018, 04:57 PM
collapse is bad, changing rules, goals and priorities - ok

Bosniensis
07-29-2018, 05:17 PM

It will become Northern Africa. No need to expand.

Dandelion
07-29-2018, 05:21 PM
I think the EU will prove to be more robust than people give it for granted. The UK even is struggling to make their hard Brexit, but the UK was always the state the most likely to break from the EU, being the Anglo-Saxons they are.

The political union things did cause for a decrease in democracy and money-grubbing career politicians for sure. A monetary union also has been done a bit too carelessly. However, as in trade and development, on that department the EU is certainly a good thing.

Wulfhere
07-29-2018, 05:24 PM
The EU, and its quislings in the UK, are doing everything they can to destroy Brexit. We, in turn, must do everything we can to destroy the EU.

Ülev
07-29-2018, 05:25 PM
I repeat, US is racially mixed so Russia is, why UE has to be an exception, everyone has own will, can marry with African woman or look for spouse from own ethnicity

Thanas Django
07-29-2018, 05:26 PM
It will adapt and move forward.

Ülev
07-29-2018, 05:27 PM
UK (and US) was always a good ally to Russian Empire / Soviet Union ---> WWII example, they are not interested in strong EU, they want rule and divide

Dandelion
07-29-2018, 05:27 PM
What I also can see happen is the EU collapse and split into two separate political unions. I just hope to end up in the right one then (no third split of the Low Countries disaster please).

Gold-Shekel
07-29-2018, 05:29 PM
Nonsense, I don't think that is possible at all in the near future. Turkey has been trying to apply for more than three decades unsuccessfully and it is a lot more stable and "democratic" than the whole north african region.

Come on, you know it's not really a factor. Romania and Bulgaria were not really examples of stability and democracy before joining the EU, it all depends on strategic and economic interests.

Dandelion
07-29-2018, 05:32 PM
Come on, you know it's not really a factor. Romania and Bulgaria were not really examples of stability and democracy before joining the EU, it all depends on strategic and economic interests.

They're still being kept out of Schengen even, while Croatia is soon to join it.

Dandelion
07-29-2018, 05:36 PM
Back in 2004 I was a Polonophobe chauvinist. I was like 'let's not allow open borders with them Poles here, they're already messing up the job market with their cheap labour while residing illegally in Western Europe, allowing unchecked border crossing is opening the flood gate for millions of them while their country will stay poor for generations because of it'.

I have mellowed down since. :) But Slavic Europe back then was very mysterious and we knew nothing about it. People born in the late 90s and early 2000 have been raised with a Europe that's very different from ours, while I was raised with the echo of the Cold War still being heard.

Gold-Shekel
07-29-2018, 05:36 PM
They're still being kept out of Schengen even, while Croatia is soon to join it.

I'd keep Croatia out of Schengen, their border police is not competent and does not do its job (personal experience).

Ülev
07-29-2018, 05:45 PM
Back in 2004 I was a Polonophobe chauvinist. I was like 'let's not allow open borders with them Poles here, they're already messing up the job market with their cheap labour while residing illegally in Western Europe, allowing unchecked border crossing is opening the flood gate for millions of them while their country will stay poor for generations because of it'.

I have mellowed down since. :) But Slavic Europe back then was very mysterious and we knew nothing about it. People born in the late 90s and early 2000 have been raised with a Europe that's very different from ours, while I was raised with the echo of the Cold War still being heard.

current polish government is at least scepthic about the EU, they flirting with Theresa and Donald (and third one behind the scene)

Svipdag
07-30-2018, 02:15 AM
I can't understand how it's survived this long.

Crn Volk
07-30-2018, 02:55 AM
The EU, and its quislings in the UK, are doing everything they can to destroy Brexit. We, in turn, must do everything we can to destroy the EU.

I think there will be another Brexit vote. Tony Blair is leading the charge.

wvwvw
07-30-2018, 03:25 AM
I'd keep Croatia out of Schengen, their border police is not competent and does not do its job (personal experience).

As soon as Croatia joins the Schengen it will be flooded with immigrants, it will come at a great cost.

Wulfhere
07-30-2018, 06:52 AM
I think there will be another Brexit vote. Tony Blair is leading the charge.

A man universally hated in the UK. Every time he opens his mouth the Leavers increase their support.

Krivich
07-30-2018, 07:10 AM
UK (and US) was always a good ally to Russian Empire / Soviet Union ---> WWII example, they are not interested in strong EU, they want rule and divide

The US conducted a tactic of waiting. They joined the war when it became clear that the USSR would win. This is the year 1944 - the end of the war. They did this to form an area of influence in Europe. Otherwise, the whole of Europe will fall under the influence of the USSR. Such an ally can not be trusted.

Wulfhere
07-30-2018, 07:17 AM
The US conducted a tactic of waiting. They joined the war when it became clear that the USSR would win. This is the year 1944 - the end of the war. They did this to form an area of influence in Europe. Otherwise, the whole of Europe will fall under the influence of the USSR. Such an ally can not be trusted.

The USSR first made a pact with Germany, then switched sides when they were betrayed. Is this the action of a trustworthy ally?

Dragoon
08-01-2018, 04:17 AM
Leaning towards that EU will survive, but hopefully in a different form dominated by Christian democracy or more "right wing".
Think that the EPP/Merkel/Junker types went to much humanist/"centrist" compared to CSU / OVP which are more Christian democrat (quite frankly they could be more aggressive on social issues).

The USSR first made a pact with Germany, then switched sides when they were betrayed. Is this the action of a trustworthy ally?

There were many non aggression pacts around Europe in the 1930s. Its not an alliance.

Soviet–Polish Non-Aggression Pact (July 25, 1932)[7]
Soviet–Italian Non-Aggression Pact (September 2, 1933)[8]
German–Polish Non-Aggression Pact (January 26, 1934)[11]
German–British Non-Aggression Pact (September 30, 1938)[12]
German–Danish Non-Aggression Pact (May 31, 1939)[13]
German–Estonian Non-Aggression Pact (June 7, 1939)[14]
German–Latvian Non-Aggression Pact (June 7, 1939)[14]
German–Soviet Non-Aggression Pact ("Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact") (23 August 1939)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-aggression_pact

ioan assen
08-30-2018, 02:15 PM
Hopefully it would survive. I think EU has to unite more and has to become a federation, if Brexit happens (as UK has done its best to stop political unification of EU). If UK stays, it should be asked not to oppose such an unification with a possible opt out of UK until its ready to join.