PDA

View Full Version : Learning about Somalia from former hostage Michael Scott Moore

Colonel Frank Grimes
07-31-2018, 11:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQzRcjRGFNg

Wadaad
08-01-2018, 12:08 AM
It would be hilarious if in some alt universe...A Somali on a somali podcast discuss being a 'former hostage' at some American prison.

This guy was arrested, period. Cops do the same thing here... upto askin you 'to call someone to show up for bail court'

Colonel Frank Grimes
08-01-2018, 12:16 AM
It would be hilarious if in some alt universe...A Somali on a somali podcast discuss being a 'former hostage' at some American prison.

This guy was arrested, period. Cops do the same thing here... upto askin you 'to call someone to show up for bail court'

Cops don't ask for a 20 million dollar ransom. There is also a judicial process. There is also a crime allegedly committed when you're arrested. What crime did this man commit?

Wadaad
08-01-2018, 12:21 AM
Cops don't ask for a 20 million ransom. There is also a judicial process. There is also a crime allegedly committed when you're arrested. What crime did this man commit?

trespassing

Colonel Frank Grimes
08-01-2018, 12:22 AM
trespassing

He had the protection of a clan elder. You clearly listened to the podcast.

Wadaad
08-01-2018, 12:24 AM
He had the protection of a clan elder. You clearly listened to the podcast.

ok i admit i couldnt bare to listen more than 5 minutes to this snivelling sad sack, ex convict lamentingg on being held prisoner...'waa, waa'

StonyArabia
08-01-2018, 12:29 AM
ok i admit i couldnt bare to listen more than 5 minutes to this snivelling sad sack, ex convict lamentingg on being held prisoner...'waa, waa'

LOL

Dandelion
08-01-2018, 12:32 AM
I'm 25 minutes in and I find it interesting. Reminds me of those Europeans who got captured by Barbary Corsairs and got out free months afterward, like Miguel de Cervantes. He hardly sounds like a whiner.

Wadaad
in all seriousness...I support piracy, as you call it. The majority of people transiting the area between the bab-el mandeb and arabian sea are guilty of something...you are lucky the pirates are just a simple 'soldiers of fortune' trying to earn some money, someone more patriotic and with a keen eye would look toward espionage and other sinister motives.

As for cargo...the fact that there is an attempt to circumvent Somalia, when we have always been an integral part of the 'silk trade' for millenia means we are entitled to our cut from the world trade in customs duties. You do not dock at our ports, so we will come to you to collect these taxes (and our share of the pie).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/Silk_route.jpg

They should make the Somali pirates, a UNESCO world heritage, because we are only reviving history.

Colonel Frank Grimes

He's not sniveling and he's not an ex-convict (never charged with a crime; he was a prisoner of a crime boss, not a government). He's speaking very calmly and has keen observations about his 32 month imprisonment. He's telling his story as someone who went to Somalia to report on life in Somalia and was kidnapped.

I wasn't aware Somali crime bosses also partake in human trafficking or that abuse of kat makes people psycho and that it's a serious problem among Somali pirates. I'm being informed. We're all being informed. Instead you just want to hush it up. How does change happen if everything negative is hushed up?

Colonel Frank Grimes
08-01-2018, 12:34 AM
LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVNHcob3oJg

Colonel Frank Grimes
08-01-2018, 12:36 AM
in all seriousness...I support piracy, as you call it. The majority of people transiting the area between the bab-el mandeb and arabian sea are guilty of something...you are lucky the pirates are just a simple 'soldiers of fortune' trying to earn some money, someone more patriotic and with a keen eye would look toward espionage and other sinister motives.

As for cargo...the fact that there is an attempt to circumvent Somalia, when we have always been an integral part of the 'silk trade' for millenia means we are entitled to our cut from the world trade in customs duties. You do not dock at our ports, so we will come to you to collect these taxes (and our share of the pie).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/Silk_route.jpg

They should make the Somali pirates, a UNESCO world heritage, because we are only reviving history.

They're not soldiers of fortune. Soldiers of fortune tend to be well trained and hired by governments. You might as well call Crips and Bloods soldiers of fortune. They work for crime bosses.

Anyway, you appear to prefer the lawlessness of Somalia and all the suffering that goes along with it.

Colonel Frank Grimes
08-01-2018, 12:45 AM
I'm 25 minutes in and I find it interesting. Reminds me of those Europeans who got captured by Barbary Corsairs and got out free month afterward, like Miguel de Cervantes. He hardly sounds like a whiner.

I downloaded a free book on my kindle years ago about an American merchant sea captain and the surviving members of his crew that were stranded and captured by slave traders off the coast of what I believe is modern day Western Sahara. The book was written by the captain and it occurred in the 1820s or 30s. Only he and a few of his crew members made it back to the US.

I remembered considering writing a novel based on it but thought it would be seen as racist and so it would never be published.

B01AB20
08-01-2018, 01:43 AM
I'm 25 minutes in and I find it interesting. Reminds me of those Europeans who got captured by Barbary Corsairs and got out free months afterward, like Miguel de Cervantes. He hardly sounds like a whiner.

After the Battle of Lepanto, Cervantes remained in hospital in Messina, Italy, for about six months, before his wounds healed enough to allow his joining the colours again.[20] From 1572 to 1575, based mainly in Naples, he continued his soldier's life: he participated in expeditions to Corfu and Navarino, and saw the fall of Tunis and La Goulette to the Turks in 1574.[5]:220

On 6 or 7 September 1575, Cervantes set sail on the galley Sol from Naples to Barcelona, with letters of commendation to the king from the Duke of Sessa.[27] On the morning of 26 September, as the Sol approached the Catalan coast, it was attacked by Ottoman pirates and he was taken to Algiers, which had become one of the main and most cosmopolitan cities of the Ottoman Empire, and was kept there in captivity between the years of 1575 and 1580.[28] After five years as a slave in Algiers, and four unsuccessful escape attempts, he was ransomed by his parents and the Trinitarians and returned to his family in Madrid. Not surprisingly, this traumatic period of Cervantes' life supplied subject matter for several of his literary works, notably the Captive's tale in Don Quixote and the two plays set in Algiers – El trato de Argel (Life in Algiers) and Los baños de Argel (The Dungeons of Algiers) – as well as episodes in a number of other writings, although never in straight autobiographical form.

Papa
08-03-2018, 03:13 AM
[...]

Maybe you could make some tourism out of it, you know, for those going after thrills, I think it would be trendy...

porkbbq
08-03-2018, 03:19 AM
The real question is, why do Somalis like pirating so much when the majority of them can't even swim? I guess falling out of the boat is an afterthought.

Hose them down with some fully automatic .308 and they won't be getting any treasure.