PDA

View Full Version : Germanic minorities in Italy: Walser and Cimbri

Peyrol
03-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Walser (which are called "Titsch") is a germanic population of about 22,000 people living in the Piedmont valleys, on the border with Switzerland and the Valle d'Aosta.
They belongs to the strain of the Alamannish tribes, and came to these valleys in 8 century, migrating from the overpopulated northern valleys of Switzerland.

Their language is called "töitschu" or "Titsch" ago, and is protected by national law on historical minorities.

Examples of Titsch language:
«Er hajen-entacht d asschu under ts chime,
und hawwer noch gvunnut e vljeschpu.
Esch hétschech àrkit, und nu schinetsch wié (n) e schtérnu.
Wé làng? En ts hüüsch isch mì ljeksch wett...»

«Aford an olti piri häd g'chauft a' schworzi hennju van ainem ljikke hennjumandj, dos ra häd g'said: "Haira woul sourg, di bringtne glick". Dan nouchre tog häd d'hennja g'laid as guldis ai. Si hädra woul g'ge z'asse: und da' zwende tog häd's g'laid as anders guldis ai. "Di häd dan buch volle gold", hädra g'sinnud d'olt piri, und oni mei sy virirrd, mid ainem messer tuad uf dan buch der hennju. Wa am platz ds golds, findt si nua ds g'derem und d' hennja ïst g'chleckt»

Traditional Walser clothes
http://www.discoveryalps.it/images/foto/minoranze_ling/walser/coppie_700.jpg/_full.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_9kvGGCn7FZE/SXnmhrHgqDI/AAAAAAAAAxU/z6IMkuar7YU/s400/070.jpg

Traditional houses
http://www.walser-alps.eu/kultur-1/bauweise/ds-walserhuus/walserhuus2_kl.jpg

Cimbrian (also called Zimbrisch or Tzimbrisch) refers to any of several local Upper German varieties spoken in northeastern Italy. The speakers of the language are known as Zimbern.
The community is nowadays reduced to only 6000 people in the area of the Veneto and Trentino region known as the "Sette Comuni".

There are two main hypotheses on the origin of this language: the first is from 1700 and connects it to the Bavarian dialect, while the other more recent connects this language to the ancient Germanic people of the Cimbrians, originating in Jutland and referred in Italy by the last emperors as mercenaries to defend the prefectures of northern Italy from Getulians and Longbeards.

Examples of Zimbrisch language:
"Christus ist au gestanden
Von der marter alle,
Daz sollen bier alle froalich sayn
Christus bil unser troast sayn."

"Ugnar Bàatar, ba pist in Hümmel, zai gahòlighet dar dain naamo, as khèmme dar dain Raick, zai gamàcht bia du bill, bia in Hümmel, azò in d'Eerda. Ghitzich hòite 'z ùgnar proat bon allen taaghen, borghit ozàndarn d'ügnarn zünte bia bràndare borghéban bèar hatzich offèndart, mach as bar net bàllan in tentziùum, ma liberàrzich bon allen bèetighen. Amen."

Some picture of the Cimbrians (in traditional clothes)
http://www.vitatrentina.it/var/vitatrentina/storage/images/media/imported_images/l_abito_bello_della_festa/luserna_giugno_2009_-_presentazione_dei_costumi_cimbri._-_giugno_2009_gianni_zotta/1194601-1-ita-IT/luserna_giugno_2009_-_presentazione_dei_costumi_cimbri._-_giugno_2009_gianni_zotta_large.jpg
http://www2.regione.veneto.it/videoinf/periodic/vnm2007/10/img/cimbri_3.jpg
http://www.tr3ntino.it/images/cms/1258639474_11775729151159609375cimbri.jpg

Svanhild
03-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Thanks a bunch for this excellent thread. As a matter of fact, I hope they can preserve their unique culture, rites and language. Guess I'm going to visit these tiny villages sometime in the future. It's just a long way down south. :wink

noricum
03-29-2011, 03:38 PM
The Cimbrian Dialect is quite easy to understand for me and obviously of Bavarian origin.

Peyrol
03-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks a bunch for this excellent thread. As a matter of fact, I hope they can preserve their unique culture, rites and language. Guess I'm going to visit these tiny villages sometime in the future. It's just a long way down south. :wink

I want to post because people stop to think that the only germanic people in Italy are the South Tyrolers.:D

The Walser are not at risk of extinction, have a relatively high birth rate (on average 3 to 4 children per couple), although many move here in my city (Torino) and leave behind the "Titsch. I have some friends Walser and was a guest in their valleys ... well, are wonderful places!

Unfortunately, the Cimbri are declining: in 1890 there were over 20,000, today they are still in 6000, is due to emigration to the U.S. or Scandinavia, or because their language, that sounds Old and antiquated" to most of modern speakers of venetic languages​​.
However, two of my mother's grandparents come from a cimbrian village, and i was ever interested in this unknown and near extinction culture.

Peyrol
03-29-2011, 03:53 PM
The Cimbrian Dialect is quite easy to understand for me and obviously of Bavarian origin.

Can you understand the most part of the text?

I ask because I do not speak German and I couldn't understand the differences between dialects ...

Anyway, other examples of Cimbrian phrases:

Sait-bouken! (welcome)
Tzimbar-earde (Cimbric land)
Tzimbar-laute (Cimbric people)
Barandre sain tzimbar (we are Cimbric)
I han ga-singat (i've sung)
Mai nunu hat gamast klinghan de kljoukan (my grandfather have rang the bells)
All je hén ga-hóart in bint piasan ime balt (all have heard the wind in the forest)
De holtzar gasteikat tiaf nist fiegan (rooted trees do not escape)

noricum
03-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Yes I understand most of it and it reminds me in the dialects spoken in Lesachtal and western Gailtal to some degree. But some words, like "Brandare" sound totally foreign to me.

Peyrol
03-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Yes I understand most of it and it reminds me in the dialects spoken in Lesachtal and western Gailtal to some degree. But some words, like "Brandare" sound totally foreign to me.

Sounds strange also to me .. it is certainly not a word of Italian/venetian origin ... it could really be an archaism of the old germanic.
Even the world to say "welcome" (Sait Bouken) is quite strange ...

I found a prayer in which the word "brandare " is present.

"Khödabar borbeascott me GuutenHeeren so zèinan hia noch mittanàndar. Bóorsabar me GuutenHeeren, bor mitten Maria, ba d’ügnarn alten habent gabéllt bor Patrùuna, Brau un Muutar, un habent gamàchet bor zi diisa khércha, so hölfan alle brandare, nàgane un bèrre, so bàigan de khindar un gheban rekie bor saldo in ügnarn tòoten."
Péetabar loite un khödabar: “Lüsen GuutarHeere z’ ügnar gapèetach“

(some words, like "Patruuna", are certainly of italian origin)

noricum
03-30-2011, 07:29 PM
The last word "gapèetach" (prayer) is also used in the dialect spoken in the Lavanttal/Carinthia, the dialect I grew up with.

But with the ending "ach" it is used only in a pejorative way like:
"When will this prayer ever stop?"-" Woun wirtn dos gapèetach amòol aufhean?"

The normal, non pejorative, form for prayer is gipèet.

Just like in standard German: Gebet-Beterei.

aherne
03-31-2011, 05:15 AM
Woun wirtn dos gapèetach amòol aufhean?.

I wonder why is Dutch considered a separate language from German, whereas this is commonly thought as a dialect. Obviously, someone who knows standard German will have NO LESS difficulty understanding what you wrote. As a matter of fact, I find written Dutch easier to grasp. Spoken Dutch is difficult because of modern mutations in the language (simplified grammar, "g" turned into "h", and so on). Written language:

Het Nederlands is een van de West-Germaanse talen. Precieze cijfers wat betreft het aantal sprekers zijn er niet, maar men neemt aan dat het wereldwijd door meer dan 23 miljoen mensen als moedertaal en/of cultuurtaal wordt gesproken.

Easy to understand, if you know how Low-German/High-German sound rules operate.

noricum
04-03-2011, 08:58 PM
I see what you mean, aherne.

For comparison I translated the Dutch text into my Carinthian dialect, what is harder than some might think as the dialect wasn't made for scientific texts.
Thus the entire translation contains some compromises.

Is Houläindischi is oani fu di West-Germàanischn Spròochn. Ginaui Zòoln iba di Ounzòol da Leit wos sou reydnt gips net, ma moat aba dossas wöltweit mea wia 23 Müliounan Leit ass Muataspròoch reydnt.

Arthur Scharrenhans
05-08-2011, 07:44 PM

In Tribuno's post there was no 'brandare' but Barandre, apparently meaning 'we' (Barandre sain tzimbar = we are Cimbric).

I think Barandre is probably a dialect form of wir andere, lit. 'we others'. It could be a calque from neighbouring (North-)Italian dialects, since forms meaning 'we others' are used for 'we' in many Romance languages: It. noialtri, Catalan nosaltres, and so on.

(I'm no expert in German dialectology so I don't know if this is common in German dialects too or if it must really be a calque).

Winterwolf
05-22-2011, 07:13 PM
Interesting thread, never heard of these people.

Thanks, Tribuno! + rep :thumb001:

Peyrol
05-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Interesting thread, never heard of these people.

Thanks, Tribuno! + rep :thumb001:

Thank you very much. The purpose of the thread was precisely to make known these minorities, virtually unknown outside of northern Italy.

lolz
07-23-2011, 12:44 PM
I know that true cimbrians had strong celtic influences. Maybe those unique words have a gallic or even raetian origin.

Loki
07-23-2011, 03:30 PM
I know that true cimbrians had strong celtic influences. Maybe those unique words have a gallic or even raetian origin.

These Cimbrians should not be confused with the Cimbri (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cimbri) who attacked the Roman Empire in around 100BC.

Lucretius
09-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Thank you very much. The purpose of the thread was precisely to make known these minorities, virtually unknown outside of northern Italy.

MMM you forgot to tell that the big muscled guy in your avatar tried to destroy these people and all kinds of minorities in Italy,because he wanted to ITALIANISE (pass me the word please) all the peninsula and the islands.

Peyrol
09-24-2011, 09:42 AM
MMM you forgot to tell that the big muscled guy in your avatar tried to destroy these people and all kinds of minorities in Italy,because he wanted to ITALIANISE (pass me the word please) all the peninsula and the islands.

Walser were virtually untouched during fascist era.

Geminus
04-26-2012, 09:49 AM
I think I may have heard from these minorities, but there are really not many documentations or reports about them.
I also hope they can preserve their culture! The dialect spoken from the Walser is almost incomprehensible for me (sounds similar to Swiss-German) but I can understand quite a lot from the Cimbrians. That could be because it's maybe related to the Bavarian dialect.

Peyrol
04-26-2012, 09:50 AM
I think I may have heard from these minorities, but there are really not many documentations or reports about them.
I also hope they can preserve their culture! The dialect spoken from the Walser is almost incomprehensible for me (sounds similar to Swiss-German) but I can understand quite a lot from the Cimbrians. That could be because it's maybe related to the Bavarian dialect.

Unfortunately, cimbric people are near cultural extintion. :(

Libertas
07-28-2013, 02:01 PM

The Walser are Alemannic-speakers like the German-Swiss.

curiousman
07-28-2013, 06:00 PM
There are other German minorities in North-eastern Italy: in Veneto: Sappada/Plodn, in Friuli: Timau/Tischlbong and Sauris/Zahre.

Example of tischlbongarisch, the language of Timau (from Wikipedia):
Van otobar auf, is cleachta beitar, lottuns ckaan vriid unt da schana bearnt olabaila greasar. In monti, sezzn novembar, hozz chreink in gonzn too unt cnochz, uma holba naina, dar bint hott onckeip zan pfifl af ola da saitn asar. Af Schunvelt, bosa aan anpflaisn apparaat honant as meist da chroft van bint, honzuns zok as saina checkickait iis cheman af 120 km da schtunt. In seen too cnochz, ocht oarbazlait as van Eztraich hintar sent cheman hont gamuast da maschindar varlosn unt ausar gianan zavuas, dribar schtain afta pama, afta schtana as avn gonzn beig sent gabeisn.

Iantumarus
10-08-2013, 08:12 PM
These Cimbrians should not be confused with the Cimbri (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cimbri) who attacked the Roman Empire in around 100BC.

Why souldnt they?
As i see it they could be (are) leftovers of antic Cimbrians... or not?

Smaug
10-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Phenotypically they don't differ very much from North Italians.

MagnusAurelius
05-05-2014, 12:39 AM
These people should have been assimilated by now, their ancestors invaded Italy and lost horribly. Total extermination, I guess these are the remnants since the Roman Italian men did exterminate most of the men but many children and women were sold into slavery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cimbrian_War

Geminus
05-05-2014, 10:31 AM
These people should have been assimilated by now, their ancestors invaded Italy and lost horribly. Total extermination, I guess these are the remnants since the Roman Italian men did exterminate most of the men but many children and women were sold into slavery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cimbrian_War

These people are not the descendants of this ancient Germanic tribe, but the descendants of Bavarian settlers.
It can be seen from the dialect they speak.

Leliana
05-06-2014, 03:11 PM

This is one big bullshit post! :picard2:

Like Geminus said, they have nothing to do with the Cimbris and Teutons. And even if they had, they have the right to self preservation of their dialect and culture.

And then we should talk about the South Tyrol question, deear 'Imperator Bellus'...

http://freiessuedtirol.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/hinweistafel.jpg

Alessio
05-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Von der marter alle,

I actually quite understand this Zimbrisch.

Walser (which are called "Titsch") is a germanic population of about 22,000 people living in the Piedmont valleys, on the border with Switzerland and the Valle d'Aosta.
They belongs to the strain of the Alamannish tribes, and came to these valleys in 8 century, migrating from the overpopulated northern valleys of Switzerland.

Their language is called "töitschu" or "Titsch" ago, and is protected by national law on historical minorities.

Examples of Titsch language:
«Er hajen-entacht d asschu under ts chime,
und hawwer noch gvunnut e vljeschpu.
Esch hétschech àrkit, und nu schinetsch wié (n) e schtérnu.
Wé làng? En ts hüüsch isch mì ljeksch wett...»

«Aford an olti piri häd g'chauft a' schworzi hennju van ainem ljikke hennjumandj, dos ra häd g'said: "Haira woul sourg, di bringtne glick". Dan nouchre tog häd d'hennja g'laid as guldis ai. Si hädra woul g'ge z'asse: und da' zwende tog häd's g'laid as anders guldis ai. "Di häd dan buch volle gold", hädra g'sinnud d'olt piri, und oni mei sy virirrd, mid ainem messer tuad uf dan buch der hennju. Wa am platz ds golds, findt si nua ds g'derem und d' hennja ïst g'chleckt»

Traditional Walser clothes
http://www.discoveryalps.it/images/foto/minoranze_ling/walser/coppie_700.jpg/_full.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_9kvGGCn7FZE/SXnmhrHgqDI/AAAAAAAAAxU/z6IMkuar7YU/s400/070.jpg

Traditional houses
http://www.walser-alps.eu/kultur-1/bauweise/ds-walserhuus/walserhuus2_kl.jpg

Cimbrian (also called Zimbrisch or Tzimbrisch) refers to any of several local Upper German varieties spoken in northeastern Italy. The speakers of the language are known as Zimbern.
The community is nowadays reduced to only 6000 people in the area of the Veneto and Trentino region known as the "Sette Comuni".

There are two main hypotheses on the origin of this language: the first is from 1700 and connects it to the Bavarian dialect, while the other more recent connects this language to the ancient Germanic people of the Cimbrians, originating in Jutland and referred in Italy by the last emperors as mercenaries to defend the prefectures of northern Italy from Getulians and Longbeards.

Examples of Zimbrisch language:
Von der marter alle,

"Ugnar Bàatar, ba pist in Hümmel, zai gahòlighet dar dain naamo, as khèmme dar dain Raick, zai gamàcht bia du bill, bia in Hümmel, azò in d'Eerda. Ghitzich hòite 'z ùgnar proat bon allen taaghen, borghit ozàndarn d'ügnarn zünte bia bràndare borghéban bèar hatzich offèndart, mach as bar net bàllan in tentziùum, ma liberàrzich bon allen bèetighen. Amen."

Some picture of the Cimbrians (in traditional clothes)
http://www.vitatrentina.it/var/vitatrentina/storage/images/media/imported_images/l_abito_bello_della_festa/luserna_giugno_2009_-_presentazione_dei_costumi_cimbri._-_giugno_2009_gianni_zotta/1194601-1-ita-IT/luserna_giugno_2009_-_presentazione_dei_costumi_cimbri._-_giugno_2009_gianni_zotta_large.jpg
http://www2.regione.veneto.it/videoinf/periodic/vnm2007/10/img/cimbri_3.jpg
http://www.tr3ntino.it/images/cms/1258639474_11775729151159609375cimbri.jpg

StonyArabia
05-06-2014, 03:18 PM
North Italians always seemed to look like Germans to me.

Artek
05-06-2014, 03:26 PM
Though they don't...mostly.

Ianus
05-06-2014, 03:29 PM

Avarage North Italans are different from Austrian or Bavarians

StonyArabia
05-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Though they don't...mostly.

Probably true, but I mean they are always were stereotyped as such and good portion do. Though many still look like a localized native type of Northern Italy. Genetically they seem to be close to Iberians. Though the very North Italians do look German especially the areas that border Austria and some German tribes settled the region which probably influenced the genome of the region to a degree.

Peyrol
05-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Probably true, but I mean they are always were stereotyped as such and good portion do. Though many still look like a localized native type of Northern Italy. Genetically they seem to be close to Iberians. Though the very North Italians do look German especially the areas that border Austria and some German tribes settled the region which probably influenced the genome of the region to a degree.

Genotype is different from phenotype...iberians have a strong cromagnoid element that it isn't common here...the areas with a major germanic settlement here in North Italy were Friuli, Veneto and Eastern Lombardy...as i wrote in the other thread, here in Piedmont longobards were almost pushed out by the savoyardes. Friuli has even a strong slovenian/slavic input.

Btw, since nowadays about 60% of our population is made by south italians, it's hard to do a complete genetic research because obviously a sicilian who live in Milan or Venice will drag south/down the genetic match.

Peyrol
05-06-2014, 03:49 PM
Von der marter alle,

I actually quite understand this Zimbrisch.

Not so far from dutch then?

Geminus
05-06-2014, 11:00 PM

It's very close to High German and as far as I know most Dutch can understand German quite well.

Zincite
06-27-2014, 09:56 PM

I don't think Zimbrisch can be understood so easily by someone who only knows Hochdeutsch, and definitely not at all in conversation. Zimbrisch is under the broad label of High German but there's too many variants under that label for it to be a guarantee of intelligibility. I mean High German includes everything from Yiddish to Mòcheno...

Graham
06-27-2014, 10:04 PM
Title makes me think of Wales & Cymru. No Celts? :P or old Cumbric Welsh in North Britain & Cumbria/Cumbrians.

MagnusAurelius
06-20-2015, 07:13 PM

http://archhades.blogspot.ca/2011/06/northern-italians-are-biologically.html

The Germanic ancestry isn't significant, I have seen 23andme results on North Italians, the average was about 15% Germanic ancestry out of 8 individuals.

MagnusAurelius
06-20-2015, 07:20 PM
Genotype is different from phenotype...iberians have a strong cromagnoid element that it isn't common here...the areas with a major germanic settlement here in North Italy were Friuli, Veneto and Eastern Lombardy...as i wrote in the other thread, here in Piedmont longobards were almost pushed out by the savoyardes. Friuli has even a strong slovenian/slavic input.

Btw, since nowadays about 60% of our population is made by south italians, it's hard to do a complete genetic research because obviously a sicilian who live in Milan or Venice will drag south/down the genetic match.

I think your estimation is way too high. Many people in Nothern and Central Italy really come from South Italians? I would guess only 10-20% maximum do.

About 42-45% of the Italian population lives in the Nothern region alone. It might be even 50% because when I originally added it all up, I over estimated the number of non-Italian immigrants and came up with a figure of 42%.

http://i.imgur.com/hnsbAwL.jpg

renaissance12
10-09-2018, 03:10 PM
Yellow coloured areas are the places where "Cimbri people" still speak german dialect ( few thousands people).

In Asiago, before Mussolini, most spoken language was german cimbro ( 20-30.000 )... now only 2.000..

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5c/Zimbern.png/260px-Zimbern.png

Historical area..( It has nothing to do with South tyrol )

https://www.bcunico.com/CIMBRI/Zona%20Cimbra%201.jpg

Teutone
10-09-2018, 03:17 PM
Yellow coloured areas are the places where "Cimbri people" still speak german dialect ( few thousands people).

In Asiago, before Mussolini, most spoken language was german cimbro ( 20-30.000 )... now only 2.000..

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5c/Zimbern.png/260px-Zimbern.png

Historical area..( It has nothing to do with South tyrol )

https://www.bcunico.com/CIMBRI/Zona%20Cimbra%201.jpg

this thread is very old, what do you think of Germans?

We are friends not enemies for me.

Viva Italia

renaissance12
10-09-2018, 03:31 PM
this thread is very old, what do you think of Germans?

We are friends not enemies for me.

Viva Italia

I live nearby Asiago.. and i like all the alps area.. ( my father ancestors came from Venice city.. among them there was a Doge )

http://web.tiscali.it/romeocovolo/images/mappaaltopiano.jpg

To me.. all the people living in the alps regions are similar ( Italian side is little bit darker than Bavaria and Austria ) even if they speak different Language. ( so South germans are included )

Italians and Germans have different mentality. I have met many germans from Bavaria.. in Garda lake.. Trentino... and not many Germans from extrem North east german... Bavarians and South-west germans are nice.. Bavarians like very much their traditions..

http://www.alparc.org/media/k2/items/cache/6423aed892dbf43714968caa3f627583_XL.jpg

Teutone
10-09-2018, 03:34 PM
I live nearby Asiago.. and i like all the alps area..

To me.. all the people living in the alps regions are similar even if they speak different Language. ( so South german are included )

Italians and Germans have different mentality. I have met many germanS from Bavaria.. in Garda lake.. Trentino... and not many Germans from extrem North east german... Bavarians and South-west germans are nice.. Bavarians like very much their traditions..

http://www.alparc.org/media/k2/items/cache/6423aed892dbf43714968caa3f627583_XL.jpg

Of course we have a different mentallity, thats self speaking.

But I usually like the latin mentallity just like the german.

Dont let some nordicist internet trolls make you think otherwise.

Mingle
10-09-2018, 03:43 PM
In addition to the Walser and Cimbri, there are also Mochenos: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B2cheno_language

renaissance12
10-10-2018, 06:28 AM
Of course we have a different mentallity, thats self speaking.

But I usually like the latin mentallity just like the german.

Dont let some nordicist internet trolls make you think otherwise.

I respect any opinion based on facts... The nordicist can claim what they want provided it is true and based on facts..

I'm not so stupid to claim that typical Italian is blonde ... I know very well that the majority of the Italians have brown-dark hair colour... more in the South less in the North.

First: I'm Veneto
Second: I'm Italian
Third : I'm European..

As Veneto i can say that there are differences between Italians and Germans and between Veneti and South Italians.
I think there are differences also between Bavarians and northeast germans..

Many Italians (north-west central and south) make fun of us because we do not speak Italian well..

Triveneto is the area in Italy where most of the people speak in dialect ( what is bad is the fact that the younger generation is changing very fast.. )

People speaking in dialect Always...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/68/Frequency_of_Dialect_Use_in_Italy_%282015%29.svg/310px-Frequency_of_Dialect_Use_in_Italy_%282015%29.svg.p ng
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3IeifIFWJNE/VVodAYpCmUI/AAAAAAAAArU/y4gHLMFmkaA/s1600/triveneto33.jpg

People of Triveneto is well known in Italy because wine and "grappa" ( sgnapa)..

http://www.portaledelleosterie.it/scripts/js/editor/plugins/imagemanager/files/foto_curiose/IMG-20151008-WA0001.jpg

https://img.gqitalia.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/16123416/1484562855_Italia-nord-e-centro-stereo-1280x628.jpg

Got= Glass

Bicchiere in Italian

Friuli is an enigma to me.. i don't understand their mentality
when they are drunk they don't sing... When Veneti are drunk..they sing

Mens-Sarda
10-10-2018, 07:28 AM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/68/Frequency_of_Dialect_Use_in_Italy_%282015%29.svg/310px-Frequency_of_Dialect_Use_in_Italy_%282015%29.svg.p ng

Is Sardinia grey because we speak a language unrelated to Italian or because there are no studies on the number of speakers? In Sardinia most of people outside the main cities speak Sardinian for most of the time, I think more than 70%.

renaissance12
10-10-2018, 08:01 AM
Is Sardinia grey because we speak a language unrelated to Italian or because there are no studies on the number of speakers? In Sardinia most of people outside the main cities speak Sardinian for most of the time, I think more than 70%.

In Veneto 30% of the people can't speak fluently in Italian... In Sardinia ?

Mens-Sarda
10-10-2018, 08:17 AM
In Veneto 30% of the people can't speak fluently in Italian... In Sardinia ?

Most of Sardinians speak a grammar book Italian, correct and without particular accents. This is because Sardinian and Italian are really different languages and it's not possible to mix them like in southern Italy where most of people speak a mix of Italian and local languages and you can't say if they are speaking Italian or dialect. In Sardinia this doesn't happen, when we speak Italian it's a good Italian; same when we speak Sardinian, there is no mixing of the two.

P.S.
Often without thinking, when speaking Italian we apply the grammar rules of Sardinian (putting the subject at the end of the phrase like in Latin), this thing sometimes can be confusing for non-Sardinians.

Example :

Italian (of Italy) - Italian (of Sardinia)

Sei pronto? - Pronto sei?
Hai fame? - Fame hai?
L'avete ordinata la pizza? - La pizza ordinata l'avete?

etc.etc.

renaissance12
10-10-2018, 08:26 AM
Most of Sardinians speak a grammar book Italian, correct and without particular accents. This is because Sardinian and Italian are really different languages and it's not possible to mix them like in southern Italy where most of people speak a mix of Italian and local languages and you can't say if they are speaking Italian or dialect. In Sardinia this doesn't happen, when we speak Italian it's a good Italian; same when we speak Sardinian, there is no mixing of the two.

Also Friuliani...(who speak furlan )

Vid Flumina
10-10-2018, 09:00 AM
First: I'm Veneto
Second: I'm Italian
Third : I'm European..

As Veneto i can say that there are differences between Italians and Germans and between Veneti and South Italians.
I think there are differences also between Bavarians and northeast germans..

Many Italians (north-west central and south) make fun of us because we do not speak Italian well..

Triveneto is the area in Italy where most of the people speak in dialect ( what is bad is the fact that the younger generation is changing very fast.. )

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3IeifIFWJNE/VVodAYpCmUI/AAAAAAAAArU/y4gHLMFmkaA/s1600/triveneto33.jpg

People of Triveneto is well known in Italy because wine and "grappa" ( sgnapa)..

http://www.portaledelleosterie.it/scripts/js/editor/plugins/imagemanager/files/foto_curiose/IMG-20151008-WA0001.jpg

https://img.gqitalia.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/16123416/1484562855_Italia-nord-e-centro-stereo-1280x628.jpg

Got= Glass

Bicchiere in Italian

Friuli is an enigma to me.. i don't understand their mentality
when they are drunk they don't sing... When Veneti are drunk..they sing

https://media.giphy.com/media/yt9DTQeflOUA8/giphy.gif

How's things there in Curitiba? Hyped for Bolsonaro?

renaissance12
10-10-2018, 09:09 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/yt9DTQeflOUA8/giphy.gif

How's things there in Curitiba? Hyped for Bolsonaro?

Open the door... walk out.. and you realiz how things are going :coffee:

Mens-Sarda
10-10-2018, 09:25 AM
What is the etymology of Got? Reminds me the Latin "Gutta" (goccia, goccio). In Italian is also used, "bere un goccio di vino". Perhaps with centuries the word Gutta has become a synonymous of "Glass".

renaissance12
10-10-2018, 09:32 AM
What is the etymology of Got? Reminds me the Latin "Gutta" (goccia, goccio). In Italian is also used, "bere un goccio di vino". Perhaps with centuries the word Gutta has become a synonymous of "Glass".

Non "go" idea