PDA

View Full Version : Can White Southerners be considered a distinct ethnic group?

Richmondbread
08-05-2018, 08:06 PM
Many note the difference in the Northern culture vs the South. The New England area was mostly settled by people from East Anglica. Whereas Virginia colony was settled by those from Southwest England. Over the years these two set the tone for the base of "culture" within. Yankeedom was founded by the East Anglicans. The Southern culture emerged out of counties of Devon, Cornwall, etc. Added to the mix were the Africans. But that is a separate issue..

Many Southerners have roots that go in the South for many generations. ( My family settled in Virginia in the 1600s, and some of them went further South and west into the Carolinas, Tennessee, Mississippi, etc.) Could you tell a white Southerner from a white Northerner? I think more easily. The South didn't have the mass immigration that the Northern cities did. The North has a lot more I-talians, Slavic peoples, and such. In Southern cities you don't enter an Irish neighborhood, or a German one, or Jewish etc. In the South the Irishman lived next door to the German and the Englishman, and the Scottish, etc. So, I would say Southerners are more likely blended Northwest Europeans, whereas the Northerners are more likely to be Slavic,Italian, Anglo mix. Is there a way to denote any of this?

DarkWater
08-05-2018, 08:10 PM
I think Southern Whites are much more English, Irish, Scottish descended. The Midwest is very German, English, and some Irish/Scottish, and Eastern Euro/Scandinavia in the upper midwest as well.
I think Northeast is English, Irish, German

Heather Duval
08-05-2018, 08:15 PM
Does the USA census have the option "White trash"? This is how they would be considered.

Bobby Martnen
08-05-2018, 08:28 PM
Yes. The South was thankfully (mostly) spared from the Ellis Island influx.

Richmondbread
08-05-2018, 09:05 PM
Does the USA census have the option "White trash"? This is how they would be considered.

White trash is the Northern Yankees.

Gründig
08-05-2018, 09:06 PM
White trash is the Northern Yankees.

Don't kid yourself.

Richmondbread
08-05-2018, 09:07 PM
Don't kid yourself.

Well I'm sorry but they have more than their fair share. Just visit Upstate New York, or something. They make the South look like Paris, France.

Heather Duval
08-05-2018, 10:34 PM
Britney told sons she was 'white trash'
https://www.iol.co.za/entertainment/celebrity-news/britney-told-sons-she-was-white-trash-986442

Latinus
08-05-2018, 11:15 PM

Please...

Grace O'Malley
08-06-2018, 04:16 AM
No they aren't a distinct ethnic group. They are mostly a subset of Europeans and most Americans will still cluster with European populations on a genetic plot. If they were to remain isolated for a long period of time they might be somewhat distinct but this has happened.

If you look at groups like the Basques or Finns they have a bit of distinctiveness and don't cluster that closer to their neighbours but white Americans aren't like this.

I'm sure they could be considered distinct culturally though.

Bobby Martnen
08-06-2018, 04:25 AM
I don't like no good butt fuck yankee scum

SvartVarg
08-06-2018, 12:00 PM
Many note the difference in the Northern culture vs the South. The New England area was mostly settled by people from East Anglica. Whereas Virginia colony was settled by those from Southwest England. Over the years these two set the tone for the base of "culture" within. Yankeedom was founded by the East Anglicans. The Southern culture emerged out of counties of Devon, Cornwall, etc. Added to the mix were the Africans. But that is a separate issue..

You're obviously no southerner nor spent any great time in the south except large an't-quite-southern-anymore-tourist-trap-towns/cities & I say that as someone whose spent years down in the South. In the small towns, as in 10,000 & less. For one South also includes a number of Scottish and Irish. And the idea it was only Africans "added to the mix" in the south is hilarious. Spanish/Spanish influence has been in Florida alone since the 1500s.

Many Southerners have roots that go in the South for many generations. ( My family settled in Virginia in the 1600s, and some of them went further South and west into the Carolinas, Tennessee, Mississippi, etc.) Could you tell a white Southerner from a white Northerner? I think more easily. The South didn't have the mass immigration that the Northern cities did.

There are MANY Northern American families who are very old. New England families in particular. So don't think age is something that makes southern state families unique.

By the way southern states also had its fair share of migration - Missouri & Louisiana as example has had Germans since the mid 1800s. While during the mid 1800s through to early 1900s Louisiana forced southern Italians & Sicilians to register on census as "black" and even lynched them in the mid 1800s.

The difference is, regarding this migration, is the south didn't quite encourage mingling with anyone who wasn't pale - changed nowadays in the larger towns/cities, but smaller towns still hold onto that mentality - while northern states couldn't careless.

The North has a lot more I-talians, Slavic peoples, and such. In Southern cities you don't enter an Irish neighborhood, or a German one, or Jewish etc. In the South the Irishman lived next door to the German and the Englishman, and the Scottish, etc.

Like I said above it's obvious you're no southerner nor spent any real time in the south.

Do you think blacks, as the most obvious example, are co-mingled among whites in southern neighborhoods? If that was the case white southerners wouldn't be calling the police five seconds after seeing a black face in all-white neighborhoods. If that was the case Faubourg Marigny, Tremé & Vieux Carré wouldn't exist in New Orleans as just one basic example. If that was the case Jewish communities like those in Fort Lauderdale wouldn't exist.

So, I would say Southerners are more likely blended Northwest Europeans, whereas the Northerners are more likely to be Slavic,Italian, Anglo mix. Is there a way to denote any of this?

Study demographics, census records.

Average southerner couldn't give a shit anyways as long as the person is white, speaks English, has an English-sounding name, and looks passably like them. A family friend, after all, was called nigger in 1950s summertime Florida after all despite being British; just being Welsh he tanned well in the summer. Culture also comes into play which is why some southerners view northerners & fake wannabe southerners, even today, with contempt.

SvartVarg
08-06-2018, 12:00 PM
I don't like no good butt fuck yankee scum

I told you in PM but it obviously didn't sink in.

In the southern states your pro-gay, pro-Jewish, etc. attitude would get you harassed in smaller towns. Even some of the larger older towns for that matter. May even get the shit beat out of you. Small town southerners would certainly make your life miserable. They do it to their own even. While your disrespectful/ignorant anti-woman attitude in some of the smaller towns, particularly in areas where women hunt & ride horses just like men, you'd be in for a world of hurt because the men wouldn't put up with your shit.

So quit with the delusions before you think moving down there is a good idea.

Richmondbread
08-06-2018, 04:34 PM
You're obviously no southerner nor spent any great time in the south except large an't-quite-southern-anymore-tourist-trap-towns/cities & I say that as someone whose spent years down in the South. In the small towns, as in 10,000 & less. For one South also includes a number of Scottish and Irish. And the idea it was only Africans "added to the mix" in the south is hilarious. Spanish/Spanish influence has been in Florida alone since the 1500s.

There are MANY Northern American families who are very old. New England families in particular. So don't think age is something that makes southern state families unique.

By the way southern states also had its fair share of migration - Missouri & Louisiana as example has had Germans since the mid 1800s. While during the mid 1800s through to early 1900s Louisiana forced southern Italians & Sicilians to register on census as "black" and even lynched them in the mid 1800s.

The difference is, regarding this migration, is the south didn't quite encourage mingling with anyone who wasn't pale - changed nowadays in the larger towns/cities, but smaller towns still hold onto that mentality - while northern states couldn't careless.

Like I said above it's obvious you're no southerner nor spent any real time in the south.

Do you think blacks, as the most obvious example, are co-mingled among whites in southern neighborhoods? If that was the case white southerners wouldn't be calling the police five seconds after seeing a black face in all-white neighborhoods. If that was the case Faubourg Marigny, Tremé & Vieux Carré wouldn't exist in New Orleans as just one basic example. If that was the case Jewish communities like those in Fort Lauderdale wouldn't exist.

Study demographics, census records.

Average southerner couldn't give a shit anyways as long as the person is white, speaks English, has an English-sounding name, and looks passably like them. A family friend, after all, was called nigger in 1950s summertime Florida after all despite being British; just being Welsh he tanned well in the summer. Culture also comes into play which is why some southerners view northerners & fake wannabe southerners, even today, with contempt.

No, it's obvious YOU are not from the South, nor have ever lived there. You're describing a text book Hollywood version of the South. Although, instead of Moonlight and Magnolia, it's cross burning Klan time. That's not South. That's Hollywood. And what you describe would be any small town in America. That isn't unique to the South. You obviously have no clue about Southern culture. I'm from the South with ancestors that go back there 400 years. (not including NA) I don't consider Florida the South. You say you lived in the South, but you're not a Southerner by blood. The South is not nearly as conservative as the Midwestern states. (That's why I would rather live in the Midwest.) Your perception is way off.