PDA

View Full Version : Education for Afrikaner children?

poiuytrewq0987
04-02-2011, 05:56 AM
I've been wondering about this myself for a quite bit. It's been two decades since the end of Afrikaner rule of South Africa. As I understand, the more wealthy Afrikaners self-segregate but the less wealthier are stuck in large cities, even some begging on the streets for money but that's not my question here. Are next-generation Afrikaner children still learning how to speak Afrikaans? Do they still learn Afrikaner history or is it all about "South Africa" now or whatever?

Loki
04-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Are next-generation Afrikaner children still learning how to speak Afrikaans?

Of course. They go to Afrikaans-language schools, or at the very least bilingual schools (more common these days). But Afrikaans remains as a language, and is actually becoming more popular these days. Even the SABC (TV company) are creating more Afrikaans TV programmes now, because they are the only ones generating advertising revenue ... After 1994 the SABC scaled down Afrikaans a lot, but now they have realised their mistake. It hit them financially.

Do they still learn Afrikaner history or is it all about "South Africa" now or whatever?

Yeah history, but of course a very biased and politically amended one. I doubt they'd be taught that our ancestors are the "cream of Europe", as I was taught in primary school. ;)

Motörhead Remember Me
04-02-2011, 10:12 AM
^Did the cream turn sour?

Loki
04-02-2011, 10:19 AM
^Did the cream turn sour?

No, it was put in the wrong coffee.