PDA

View Full Version : Updates to my parents AncestryDNA results

arkas
08-13-2018, 04:48 AM
Both my dad's parents are both Greek, from Arcadia in the Peloponnese region and from what I know they have don't have recent ancestry from anywhere else. There may possibly be one Jewish relative from generations ago, one of my Grandma's great great grandmother had a non-Greek sounding surname, "Guidzias", which I researched and it may be of Hebrew origin.

My mum's father is an ethnic Malayali from Kerala region in South India and her mother is Malaysian Indian, most likely Malayali but I am not 100% sure, may have some Tamil ancestry. They are are all Christian Indians, if that makes a difference and have roots in Quilon and Kochi.

My parents originally had these results:

Dad
Europe
92% Italy/Greece
5% Europe East
2% European Jewish
<1% Europe West

Mum
Asia
76% Asia South
21% Asia East
Pacific Islander
2% Polynesia
1% Melanesia

Then there was an update to my dad's results, but not to my mum's.

Europe
92% Greece, Turkey and Albania
5% Eastern Europe
2% European Jewish
<1% Europe West

Here is my dad's results after the most recent update, the update option wasn't available for my mum's.

Dad
94% Greece and the Balkans
2% Eastern Europe and Russia
3% Italy

Conclusion:
I think the results are definately getting more accurate, also I am surprised my dad didn't have any Caucasus percentage. My grandma did the test and showed a little Caucasus and some Western European oddly enough.

I also think that South Asian reference samples they use have got to be disproportionately North Indian DNA, I seriously doubt my mum has any recent East Asian ancestry. Her South Indian dna is being mislabelled as East Asian in my opinion.

Also does anyone know why my mum can't update her results? It just says her results are already up to date.

GreentheViper
08-13-2018, 04:54 AM
What DNA test is this, Ancestry or 23andMe?

arkas
08-13-2018, 04:56 AM
What DNA test is this, Ancestry or 23andMe?

AncestryDNA, I put it in the title.

arkas
08-13-2018, 04:56 AM
Here are my grandmother's results and for some reason the most recent update option isn't available for her either.

Europe
79% Italy/Greece
8% Europe East
5% Europe West
4% European Jewish
<1%Scandinavian
West Asia
Caucasus 3%

After the second update:

Europe
79% Greece, Turkey and Albania
8% Europe East
5% Europe West
4% European Jewish
<1%Scandinavian
West Asia
Caucasus 3%

Dick
08-13-2018, 04:59 AM
Can you post the updated genetic communities?

GreentheViper
08-13-2018, 05:01 AM
AncestryDNA, I put it in the title.

Oh right lol

What date did you get the original results on?

arkas
08-13-2018, 05:05 AM
Can you post the updated genetic communities?

My mum didn't have any genetic community but my dad's was Italy/Greece and now Greece, Turkey and Albania. I don't know if it changed since the most recent update.

arkas
08-13-2018, 05:06 AM
Oh right lol

What date did you get the original results on?

Early 2017.

GreentheViper
08-13-2018, 05:11 AM
Early 2017.

There might not be a large enough pool of DNA that your mother has so they can't pinpoint it enough. I've yet to get an update too.

Bobby Martnen
08-13-2018, 05:23 AM
I don't have the update yet, what are your results like?

arkas
08-13-2018, 05:23 AM
There might not be a large enough pool of DNA that your mother has so they can't pinpoint it enough. I've yet to get an update too.

Oh, well that makes sense. Have most people received the update though?

GreentheViper
08-13-2018, 05:25 AM
Oh, well that makes sense. Have most people received the update though?

It varies per person, I've heard people get full updates and some people get no updates.

arkas
08-13-2018, 05:32 AM
I don't have the update yet, what are your results like?

I haven't done AncestryDNA, only 23andme.
http://imgur.com/vCZnqE2.jpg

Congolese Rice
08-13-2018, 03:31 PM
lol wtf XD they should seriously no shit update my results cuz they are sucky to me lmao. 48-72% british is nowhere near accurate, and i understand you should read it as "broad nw euro" but even then it wont make sense. that would imply that my mom's side has 1 fully white ancestor, of which they dont. nobody is fully white in my mom's family except my great great grandfather on my maternal grandma's side.

arkas
08-13-2018, 03:54 PM
lol wtf XD they should seriously no shit update my results cuz they are sucky to me lmao. 48-72% british is nowhere near accurate, and i understand you should read it as "broad nw euro" but even then it wont make sense. that would imply that my mom's side has 1 fully white ancestor, of which they dont. nobody is fully white in my mom's family except my great great grandfather on my maternal grandma's side.

Is this with AncestryDNA?

Congolese Rice
08-13-2018, 03:56 PM
Is this with AncestryDNA?

yeah son. their estimates are very weird, my west african cant be any higher than 21-22% max. ancestryDNA gives me like 27-30%. and also too much european, and the wrong european populations at that lol. 3-6% middle eastern and 2-4% central asian, 3-8% mali and some other shit.

i only have 3 major components, and i have like 10 populations in the low confidence region. lol. this isnt accurate for mixed people i can tell you, otherwise i'd have way less low confidence regions.

arkas
08-13-2018, 04:03 PM
yeah son. their estimates are very weird, my west african cant be any higher than 21-22% max. ancestryDNA gives me like 27-30%. and also too much european, and the wrong european populations at that lol. 3-6% middle eastern and 2-4% central asian, 3-8% mali and some other shit.

i only have 3 major components, and i have like 10 populations in the low confidence region. lol. this isnt accurate for mixed people i can tell you, otherwise i'd have way less low confidence regions.

Well, I am glad I chose to do the 23andMe test in that case lmao

Although I think my parents results were fairly accurate with AncestryDNA, I definately think 23andMe is overall more worth the money. Ancestry won't even give people their haplogroup information, despite having the technology to do so.

Congolese Rice
08-13-2018, 05:54 PM
Well, I am glad I chose to do the 23andMe test in that case lmao

Although I think my parents results were fairly accurate with AncestryDNA, I definately think 23andMe is overall more worth the money. Ancestry won't even give people their haplogroup information, despite having the technology to do so.

ancestryDNA is just sucky lmao, most people will have fairly accurate results with them, only thats mostly the pred. european people that arent super mixed. 10 low confidence regions? on some real shit? how can you even be certain about the results u are handing out then. sure european and african are easy to distinguish but MENA is apparently a whole other story for them XD

and yeah, 23andMe is my recommendation 2

rein
08-13-2018, 05:59 PM
Wow your mum has a lot of East Asian in this test.

rein
08-13-2018, 06:01 PM

You never know what distant admixture your mother has. For example even African-Americans regularly score 25% NorthWest European in 23andme.

Congolese Rice
08-13-2018, 07:15 PM
You never know what distant admixture your mother has. For example even African-Americans regularly score 25% NorthWest European in 23andme.

theres no doubt there's some european admix from my mom's side, but there's a reason why my average european on gedmatch is "51.72%" or something. so i can either conclude, my dad's side indeed has minor berber ancestry, lowering the supposed "50% nw euro" i should inherit from him, or my mom's side of the family is only 6.25% dutch, maybe 8% roughly if you consider the fact that they are caribbean.

eitherway, they have strong levantine and SSA imput, which is clearly seen because none of them look like euros, or biracials, or euro admixed.

i only have a great great grandfather on my mom's side that was fully dutch, so that means i should inherit 6.25% from him, my dad's side, idk. they had a great, or great great grandfather that was a swarthy french, with supposed moor or berber ancestry. he had black hair, dark olive skin, and a aquiline long nose, with a thin long face. you figure.

rein
08-13-2018, 07:21 PM
theres no doubt there's some european admix from my mom's side, but there's a reason why my average european on gedmatch is "51.72%" or something. so i can either conclude, my dad's side indeed has minor berber ancestry, lowering the supposed "50% nw euro" i should inherit from him, or my mom's side of the family is only 6.25% dutch, maybe 8% roughly if you consider the fact that they are caribbean.

eitherway, they have strong levantine and SSA imput, which is clearly seen because none of them look like euros, or biracials, or euro admixed.

i only have a great great grandfather on my mom's side that was fully dutch, so that means i should inherit 6.25% from him, my dad's side, idk. they had a great, or great great grandfather that was a swarthy french, with supposed moor or berber ancestry. he had black hair, dark olive skin, and a aquiline long nose, with a thin long face. you figure.

As you’ve said looks can be deceiving. Better not rely on Gedmatch alone and don’t take its components too literally as South Italians can score much more Middle Eastern than you. Also many African Americans didn’t even know they had European as the mixing couldn’t have been verified by genealogy.

Anyways, good luck figuring things out. Just remember to tell me when you get your aunts results as promised.

Bosniensis
08-13-2018, 07:23 PM
I-M438 ?

Which subclade, you might be Slavic Greek.

rein
08-13-2018, 08:04 PM
I-M438 ?

He mentioned his dad was from Arcadia, Greece. Maybe it’s distant Slavic admixture.

Congolese Rice
08-13-2018, 08:05 PM
As you’ve said looks can be deceiving. Better not rely on Gedmatch alone and don’t take its components too literally as South Italians can score much more Middle Eastern than you. Also many African Americans didn’t even know they had European as the mixing couldn’t have been verified by genealogy.

Anyways, good luck figuring things out. Just remember to tell me when you get your aunts results as promised.

Yeh thanks, and thats because many south italians are actually more MENA than i am XD as you've seen sicilians can easily be 35-45% levantine, which is way more than i am or will ever be XD its basically the same way i am more SSA than them.

and i dont take components too literally, i take my percentages seriously as it accurately predicts my breakdowns. tests like ancient eurasia K6 is something i am not too sure of, it gives me 27.70% natufian so i am pretty sure theres some european admix in there, maybe like 3-4% is belonging to my european.

and yeah sure, ill tell u the results ofc. i'll post them on this forum. then we'll also immediately see if my dad's family is actually part berber or not, would be interesting to see.

rein
08-13-2018, 08:07 PM
Yeh thanks, and thats because many south italians are actually more MENA than i am XD as you've seen sicilians can easily be 35-45% levantine, which is way more than i am or will ever be XD its basically the same way i am more SSA than them.

and i dont take components too literally, i take my percentages seriously as it accurately predicts my breakdowns. tests like ancient eurasia K6 is something i am not too sure of, it gives me 27.70% natufian so i am pretty sure theres some european admix in there, maybe like 3-4% is belonging to my european.

and yeah sure, ill tell u the results ofc. i'll post them on this forum. then we'll also immediately see if my dad's family is actually part berber or not, would be interesting to see.

If you want me to tell your dad to test, just tell me, lol.

Congolese Rice
08-13-2018, 08:32 PM
If you want me to tell your dad to test, just tell me, lol.

lol, my dad wont do that shit XD i wont even talk to him about it cuz hes a douchebag

arkas
08-13-2018, 11:02 PM
ancestryDNA is just sucky lmao, most people will have fairly accurate results with them, only thats mostly the pred. european people that arent super mixed. 10 low confidence regions? on some real shit? how can you even be certain about the results u are handing out then. sure european and african are easy to distinguish but MENA is apparently a whole other story for them XD

and yeah, 23andMe is my recommendation 2

I have seen some very questionable results from people, their results did not match their ancestry very well. I suppose you are right, if you're mixed with 2 very different ethnicities, the dna is easier for them to tell apart.

arkas
08-13-2018, 11:08 PM
I-M438 ?

I actually didn't know until yesterday, 23andme updated my haplogroup to I-Z17855. I think it is of Slavic origin but I am not sure specifically where it originated.

Congolese Rice
08-13-2018, 11:16 PM
I have seen some very questionable results from people, their results did not match their ancestry very well. I suppose you are right, if you're mixed with 2 very different ethnicities, the dna is easier for them to tell apart.

Jup, but when it comes to seperating both african, european, and MENA it apparently gets too much for ancestry to handle XD my african gets overestimated, my european gets overestimated, and my middle eastern gets underestimated, along with my amerindian.

I think DNA.LAND kinda does the same thing, it gives me 55% nw euro and 13% east med along with alot of other percentages. it gives me 21% african though so i wonder where the other 4% went. probably in my NW euro or other european percentages lol.

here are my results for that test:

West Eurasian 75% Northwest European 55%
Mediterranean Islander 13%
Finnish 3.2%
Balkan 2.2%
Ambiguous 1.4%

African 21% West African 20% Lower Niger Valley 16%
Mende/Akan 4.5%
Ambiguous 1.1%

East Asian 2.4% Taiwanese 1.3%
Northeast Asian 1.1% Ambiguous 1.1%

Amazonian 1.2%

my med islander, balkan, finnish, and all ambigious percentages are probably my lebanese hidden in there. idk, i dont see why else it wouldnt give me arab/egyptian percentages.

Dick
08-13-2018, 11:22 PM
I-M438 ?

Same as yours most likely.

Dick
08-13-2018, 11:26 PM
I actually didn't know until yesterday, 23andme updated my haplogroup to I-Z17855. I think it is of Slavic origin but I am not sure specifically where it originated.

Didnt see this post

https://www.yfull.com/tree/I-CTS10228/

arkas
08-13-2018, 11:32 PM
Jup, but when it comes to seperating both african, european, and MENA it apparently gets too much for ancestry to handle XD my african gets overestimated, my european gets overestimated, and my middle eastern gets underestimated, along with my amerindian.

I think DNA.LAND kinda does the same thing, it gives me 55% nw euro and 13% east med along with alot of other percentages. it gives me 21% african though so i wonder where the other 4% went. probably in my NW euro or other european percentages lol.

here are my results for that test:

West Eurasian 75% Northwest European 55%
Mediterranean Islander 13%
Finnish 3.2%
Balkan 2.2%
Ambiguous 1.4%

African 21% West African 20% Lower Niger Valley 16%
Mende/Akan 4.5%
Ambiguous 1.1%

East Asian 2.4% Taiwanese 1.3%
Northeast Asian 1.1% Ambiguous 1.1%

Amazonian 1.2%

my med islander, balkan, finnish, and all ambigious percentages are probably my lebanese hidden in there. idk, i dont see why else it wouldnt give me arab/egyptian percentages.

Very nice results, you are partially an Amazonian warrior.

I think the results shouldn't be taken to seriously, they are labelling your DNA with the assumption that it originates from a place. I don't think any scientist would claim any of these tests to be 100% accurate.

Congolese Rice
08-14-2018, 12:13 AM
Very nice results, you are partially an Amazonian warrior.

I think the results shouldn't be taken to seriously, they are labelling your DNA with the assumption that it originates from a place. I don't think any scientist would claim any of these tests to be 100% accurate.

XDD they shouldnt be taken seriously. and lol, my amerindian is actually Taino (native caribbean) so yeah. maybe taino and brazilian indians have something in common idk. But yeah ur correct.

rein
08-14-2018, 12:38 AM
XDD they shouldnt be taken seriously. and lol, my amerindian is actually Taino (native caribbean) so yeah. maybe taino and brazilian indians have something in common idk. But yeah ur correct.

Add your African to Taino and you can be a Taino warrior.

kleenex
08-14-2018, 12:49 AM
What is your dad's haplogroup? I'm surpirised he has no Caucasus in his results. Most mainland Greeks are in the 8-12 range. I'm not sure what the Caucasus in Ancestry really means but I would suspect Neolithic component.

arkas
08-14-2018, 01:04 AM
What is your dad's haplogroup? I'm surpirised he has no Caucasus in his results. Most mainland Greeks are in the 8-12 range. I'm not sure what the Caucasus in Ancestry really means but I would suspect Neolithic component.

I don't know his maternal haplogroup, but his paternal haplogroup is of course the same as mine. I-M438 in the subclade of I-Z17855, allegedly of Slavic origin. And yes, I would have thought he would have some Caucasus but with the second updated results, they did list Turkey as apart of his results which could be Caucasus.

Jackson78
08-14-2018, 12:58 PM

Hello my brother

arkas
08-14-2018, 01:00 PM
Hello my brother

Haha hey there :thumb001:

Where are you from?

Jackson78
08-14-2018, 01:02 PM
Haha hey there :thumb001:

Where are you from?

Serbian shithole brother

Btw i thought that only 23andme gives downstream SNP-s.

arkas
08-14-2018, 01:06 PM
Serbian shithole brother

Btw i thought that only 23andme gives downstream SNP-s.

I have no clue what that means, but if you're referring to my haplogroup update it only happened the other day.

Jackson78
08-14-2018, 01:09 PM
I have no clue what that means, but if you're referring to my haplogroup update it only happened the other day.

Yeah.

Well that is far better than I-M438 only.