PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Brands to possibly rethink cutting 1850 jobs in Australia

Brynhild
02-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Pacific consider rethinking job cuts
February 28, 2009, 6:39 am

Clothing company Pacific Brands will consider a federal government request to rethink its decision to cut 1,850 local manufacturing jobs.

Industry Minister Kim Carr met executives of the company on Friday to request that they keep some or all of their Australian factories open, The Weekend Australian reported.

"I am seeking to determine whether it is possible for Pacific Brands to maintain manufacturing jobs and capacity in Australia," Senator Carr said after the meeting. "I have asked both the company and the union to come back to me with further information. They have agreed to this request."

Barry Tubner, state secretary of the Textile Clothing and Footwear Union of Australia, who attended the crisis talks, said the minister had asked that some or all of the local manufacturing plants be retained, but the company had given few assurances of a positive response.

A Pacific Brands spokesman said the minister's request would be reviewed by the board "as soon as possible".

The company faced a public backlash on Friday over its mass retrenchment plans, in light of the millions of dollars it has received in government grants in recent years, mostly for research and development.

The Transport Workers Union, Maritime Union of Australia and the Rail Tram and Bus Union announced that they would block any attempts to move the company's machinery abroad, despite Pacific Brands' denial it planned such a move.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/5357689/pacific-consider-rethinking-job-cuts/

What this article didn't mention, but has been well documented these last few days in Australia is how the public jacked up over the huge pay rises that at least 2 CEOs received - one such payrise was a jump from $680,000 to $1,850,000 (approximate) - at the expense of 1,850 jobs.

Yet another company moving offshore, due to corporate greed. Whatever happened to looking after our own? :(:mad:

I hope the transport unions give this company hell!

Treffie
02-27-2009, 11:25 PM
What this article didn't mention, but has been well documented these last few days in Australia is how the public jacked up over the huge pay rises that at least 2 CEOs received - one such payrise was a jump from $680,000 to $1,850,000 (approximate) - at the expense of 1,850 jobs.

It looks like it's become a worldwide phenomenon - it's nauseating.:mad:

Revenant
02-28-2009, 06:24 AM

The axing of these jobs was part of it but not the main contributer to the pay rises. The company restructuring that's aiming to save it $150million and the $20m odd profit they turned over was probably more to do with it. Sue Morphet doing her job well, good white woman.:thumb001:

Yet another company moving offshore, due to corporate greed. Whatever happened to looking after our own? :(:mad:

Rofl, the Govt is leading by example, only they are actually meant to have a obligation to "look after", no corporation does. I saw the news reports, more than half that were protesting being layed off didn't even look like Aussies to me anyway.

I hope the transport unions give this company hell!

They'll do what they do best, nothing. I was surprised they even took a break from polishing their busts of Lenin to come out and engage in a circlejerk with the media.

Brynhild
02-28-2009, 06:53 AM
The axing of these jobs was part of it but not the main contributer to the pay rises. The company restructuring that's aiming to save it $150million and the $20m odd profit they turned over was probably more to do with it. Sue Morphet doing her job well, good white woman.:thumb001:

It's called cost-cutting by merchandise being made in China. I must say also, at a time when bushfire and flood victims have lost virtually everything, Sue Morphet is leading the way as a good white woman ...

Rofl, the Govt is leading by example, only they are actually meant to have a obligation to "look after", no corporation does. I saw the news reports, more than half that were protesting being layed off didn't even look like Aussies to me anyway.

Not the first time I've noticed you have your own agenda to peddle by commenting ad nauseam about who you reckon are Aussies, or otherwise. As for the government, we know how good they are at looking after their own :rolleyes2:

They'll do what they do best, nothing. I was surprised they even took a break from polishing their busts of Lenin to come out and engage in a circlejerk with the media.

In the past, that would be agreed with. They might surprise us this time and back the talk up. A lot of people are fed up to the eye teeth about their hard-earned money going offshore, this would be the straw that breaks the camel's back for loads of people. Irrespective of who works for Pacific Brands at this point, at least the dollars stayed in this country. I hope Sue Morphet and the others choke on their fat pay packets!

Revenant
02-28-2009, 07:17 AM
It's called cost-cutting by merchandise being made in China.

That's right.

I must say also, at a time when bushfire and flood victims have lost virtually everything, Sue Morphet is leading the way as a good white woman ...

Bushfires have nothing at all to do with this.:rolleyes:

Not the first time I've noticed you have your own agenda

As if I give a fuck what you and your try hard Mod agenda's noticed.

A lot of people are fed up to the eye teeth about their hard-earned money going offshore, this would be the straw that breaks the camel's back for loads of people.

The people?. They don't even know who to blame.

Brynhild
03-23-2009, 04:49 AM
I went shopping today to buy undergarments for my kids, and my purpose was to avoid buying any Pacific Brand items.

I don't know if this applies in NZ as well, but here are the clothing labels I've found that belong to Pacific Brand. I would urge everybody in Aus in particular not to buy these:

Bonds
Rio
Holeproof
Slazenger

There are probably more, and I will keep an eye out.

This is my way of saying "Bugger Off" to the Chinese, along with the CEOs who take such big payouts - at the expense of yet another Aussie company going offshore. :mad: