PDA

View Full Version : The portugueses : the most heterogeneous people in Europa ?

Visage pâle
09-03-2018, 12:55 PM
I saw portugueses football players in their Liga. My conclusion is, it's a very heterogeneous people. There are many fair and dark skinned peoples, some are pale white like irish and others are very swarthy like arabs. I don't think there are such differences in others peoples.
It seems to be a iberian particularity, they are either fair skinned or swarthy; few have medium european skin tone. It's more pronounced in Portugal than in Spain imo.
Do you have the same impression than me ?

Brás Garcia de Mascarenhas
09-03-2018, 01:15 PM
Portuguese people are actually one of the most homogeneous ethnic groups in Europe. There is little to no significant genetic variation within our borders, be it from the north, centre, south or the archipelagos.

There's phenotypical variation across the territory like anywhere else in Europe. In France you can also find darker and lighter types. The main difference in Portugal is that you can never pin point where someone's from based merely on its phenotype because phenotypical variations are evenly distributed across our territory (they do not peak in particular regions).

09-03-2018, 01:28 PM
It seems to be a iberian particularity, they are either fair skinned or swarthy; few have medium european skin tone.

Medium skin tone is probably the most common around here. Don't forget that you are basing yourself on football players who have as their daily routine outdoor activities in a country that has one of the highest yearly averages for total hours of sunshine. Players with fairer skin are the ones who can not tan and the ones with darker skin are the ones who can tan, hence why you probably get the impression that there is no medium tone.

GWAS study of pigmentation in four European countries has shown that Portuguese are on pair with Poles in terms of skin pigmentation.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-N_4dAL4h8Og/UJfcaHVd_cI/AAAAAAAAHNI/KOVhAt3ppz0/s640/journal.pone.0048294.t001.png

HELLBANIAN
09-03-2018, 01:33 PM
Most heterogeneous? Highly doubt it.

FilhoV
09-03-2018, 01:39 PM
More like most Homogeneous

Catarinense1998
09-03-2018, 01:43 PM
No way

brennus dux gallorum
09-03-2018, 01:47 PM
pretty homogeneous I would say

Rgvgjhvv
09-03-2018, 01:50 PM
Don't be fooled by Portuguese people of original Portuguese colony descent

Rgvgjhvv
09-03-2018, 01:53 PM
GWAS study of pigmentation in four European countries has shown that Portuguese are on pair with Poles in terms of skin pigmentation.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-N_4dAL4h8Og/UJfcaHVd_cI/AAAAAAAAHNI/KOVhAt3ppz0/s640/journal.pone.0048294.t001.png

That is very interesting

Sikeliot
09-03-2018, 01:53 PM
Portugal is very homogenous, the only difference in Portugal is a small amount (<5%) of Sub-Saharan in Madeira and Azores.

Dekziiro
09-03-2018, 01:59 PM
North Caucasus.
Iceland.
Basque people.

Visage pâle
09-03-2018, 02:06 PM
Medium skin tone is probably the most common around here.

I really doubt when i see their photos.

Don't forget that you are basing yourself on football players who have as their daily routine outdoor activities in a country that has one of the highest yearly averages for total hours of sunshine. Players with fairer skin are the ones who can not tan and the ones with darker skin are the ones who can tan, hence why you probably get the impression that there is no medium tone.

Sun has its impact, but many have natural olive skin tone.

I would say the average between dark and fair skin is medium skin tone for portuguese. But i don't think medium european skin is the most frequent.

Visage pâle
09-03-2018, 02:09 PM
Portugal is very homogenous, the only difference in Portugal is a small amount (<5%) of Sub-Saharan in Madeira and Azores.

Their phenotype is not. Believe me, some are very white and others very dark. In southern italy it's much more homogenous, most are a bit tanned or with medium european skin tone.

Visage pâle
09-03-2018, 02:13 PM
There's phenotypical variation across the territory like anywhere else in Europe. In France you can also find darker and lighter types.

Not at the same scale. There are differences of hair and eyes colors, but skin color is overall the same from north to south.

09-03-2018, 02:18 PM
What is a medium European skin tone then? Can you show me examples? I have already posted a study on it whereas you are just basing yourself on assumptions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sg18OPQjqk

Portuguese have darker hair and less prevalence of light eyes in comparison with Poles but when it comes to skin pigmentation it is virtually the same as you can see on the video above and once again on the table I have posted previously. So if Portugueses and Poles do not have a medium European skin tone, who does then?

Many southern Europeans have a natural olive skin tone, it is not exclusive to Portugal.

09-03-2018, 02:21 PM
Not at the same scale. There are differences of hair and eyes colors, but skin color is overall the same from north to south.

There's virtually no skin colour variation across our territory. You can find darker and lighter types in any region.

Visage pâle
09-03-2018, 02:35 PM
What is a medium European skin tone then? Can you show me examples?

A good exemple of that is Emmanuel Macron. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/Emmanuel_Macron_in_Tallinn_Digital_Summit._Welcome _dinner_hosted_by_HE_Donald_Tusk._Handshake_%28366 69381364%29_%28cropped_2%29.jpg

There is also Mel Gibson
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/Mel_Gibson_Cannes_2016.jpg

09-03-2018, 02:40 PM
A good exemple of that is Emmanuel Macron. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/Emmanuel_Macron_in_Tallinn_Digital_Summit._Welcome _dinner_hosted_by_HE_Donald_Tusk._Handshake_%28366 69381364%29_%28cropped_2%29.jpg

There is also Mel Gibson
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/Mel_Gibson_Cannes_2016.jpg

Pretty common skin colour.

Visage pâle
09-03-2018, 04:56 PM
Bump

Latinus
09-03-2018, 07:19 PM
I doubt that any Euro country has a majority natural olive skinned population.

Bobby Martnen
09-03-2018, 07:21 PM

So THAT'S why Steve Perry can sing so soulfully.

Damião de Góis
09-03-2018, 08:27 PM
I saw portugueses football players in their Liga. My conclusion is, it's a very heterogeneous people. There are many fair and dark skinned peoples, some are pale white like irish and others are very swarthy like arabs. I don't think there are such differences in others peoples.
It seems to be a iberian particularity, they are either fair skinned or swarthy; few have medium european skin tone. It's more pronounced in Portugal than in Spain imo.

Who are these very light and very dark football players you've seen? I'm curious, so post examples.

alnortedelsur
09-03-2018, 08:36 PM
I previously showed plenty of videos and pics to prove that Iberians are not different from other Europeans in having a majority of people with a medium European skin tone. They only have a lesser frequency of blondish hair tones and light eyes compared to Europeans from further north, but more or less on par on this regard with other south European populations. And either way, blondish hair tones and light eyes are not rare among them, just like in anywhere else in Europe.

I already posted plenty of videos and pics to prove my point, but at this point I just give up. I just let ignorant people to keep being ignorant.

cyberlorian
09-03-2018, 08:39 PM

Portuguese are pretty homogeneous. I guess, French are the most heterogeneous people of Europe.