PDA

View Full Version : Straw Theatre Undergoes Construction

Äike
04-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Straw Theatre Undergoes Construction (http://news.err.ee/culture/6c8424f6-27d7-44b7-b1e1-4ac2c61a103b)

A theatre built from straw, which will be the biggest installation during the European Cultural Capital 2011 festivities in Tallinn, is currently undergoing construction and will open its doors in less than a month.

Straw is a worthwhile building material, which does not harm the environment and is so inexpensive that the theatre house will accommodate a large hall, lobby, cafe, outdoor children’s playground and a small sporting area for a cost slightly less than 147,000 euros, according to ETV.

The straw-bale building, a project of NO99 theatre, is being constructed as a temporary venue on a heritage conservation area and will, throughout a five-month period, accommodate both local and international performances.

In September the straw construction must be pulled down, as strict rules apply to building in the Tallinn Old Town and new buildings are permitted to be constructed only where houses were destroyed during the 1944 Soviet air raids, said Boris Dubovik, head of conservation at the Tallinn Cultural Heritage Department.

"If historically no buildings existed there, it is very difficult to justify building new ones, as it is known to everyone that the heritage conservation areas belong to the UNESCO World Heritage List," explained Dubovik.

Nevertheless, NO99 has already drawn up a plan of how a real theatre could be built on the heritage conservation grounds. Especially since the theatre's current neighbor, the Ministry of Defense, has advised the group to start looking for a new location.

Bloodeagle
04-06-2011, 04:30 PM
I love straw-bale construction, I have numerous books on the subject.

Even though the building is temporary, it could give positive exposure to this green-style of building, in Estonia. :thumb001:

Äike
04-06-2011, 06:44 PM
I love straw-bale construction, I have numerous books on the subject.

Even though the building is temporary, it could give positive exposure to this green-style of building, in Estonia. :thumb001:

There are a lot of interesting projects in Tallinn, in 2011, because Tallinn is the European capital of culture this year, together with Turku.