PDA

View Full Version : form of greeting in your countries

gold_fenix
04-06-2011, 09:50 PM
In Spain between women or woman-man are two kisses each side of the face, the first kiss is in the left side of the person kissed, between men we shake hands
the exeptions with the kiss are in very formal situation or interwiev of work and between the family inside of a family reunion there are the kiss between between men but not always, depend of the person

Odoacer
04-08-2011, 12:50 AM
In the U.S., men shake hands in almost all situations, except between close friends or relatives, in which case they may embrace (typically in a very "manly" manner, i.e., a strong embrace & audible clapping of hands on each other's backs, etc.). Men & women who are not familiar shake hands, & sometimes they may not even touch; if they are familiar, they may embrace. Women who are not familiar will shake hands; if they are familiar, they will embrace. Occasionally male & female relatives, or two female relatives, will embrace & kiss once on the cheek. This is what I have observed is the general situation across the country.

Of course, the U.S. is not in Europe but since it is predominantly European in makeup I thought it would be useful to include. ;)

Jägerstaffel
04-08-2011, 12:55 AM
I just say "Hey".

I prefer not to be touched.

Magister Eckhart
04-08-2011, 03:04 AM
"wass good, nigga?"

Bloodeagle
04-08-2011, 03:25 AM
Handshakes are the mature and formal introduction between men in the USA, anything else is just Un-American and probably finds it's roots in leftists, hip hop, or other foreign influence. ;)

Rouxinol
04-08-2011, 03:34 AM
In Portugal, if there's familiarity (eg. between friends and family) women kiss (one on each cheek) and men shake hands. Women-men kiss once on each cheek. Manly embraces as those described by EuroAmerican between men are also common.

At formal settings (eg. at work) the shaking of hands is the norm for both genders.

The two kisses on each cheek between men are common among father and son or a closer uncle, for instance.

Black Sun Dimension
04-08-2011, 03:42 AM
Que paso el mio?

*handshake*

-Aqui, todo bello.

Magister Eckhart
04-08-2011, 04:37 AM
Among my friends, male friends at least, "How goes?" is increasingly becoming the preferred greeting, usually with a handshake or a raised hand in informal salute.

Rouxinol
04-08-2011, 04:45 AM
Informal setting between two known people with relative proximity (a college colleague, for instance):

- "Olá! Como estás?" (Hello! How are you?)

Shake hands (man/man)/kiss on each cheek (woman/woman or woman/man)

- "Bem, obrigado! E tu?" (Fine, thanks! And you?)

;)

Svanhild
04-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Shaking hands is formal and common between man-man, woman-man and woman-woman. The standard phrases are "Guten Tag", "Ich grüße Sie" or similar forms.

Kisses at either side of the face are more than unusual, let alone formal. No one does it.

Motörhead Remember Me
04-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Two black men meet in USA:
-Yo, mothafucka!
-Good morning, reverend!

Heretik
04-13-2011, 11:25 AM
True story! (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Croatian%20handshake)

Blossom
04-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Well, gold_fenix explained how things are done in Spain, but I dont act like so since my parents gave me a different education back in time during my childhood.

Formal: I shake hands, both man or woman.

Informal: I dont kiss/embrace, I just say ''hi'' and ''how's everything going?'' and yes..they called me ''cold and weird girl'' in here many times and I remember when I met my girl-friends how they tend to kiss/hug me but I'm like ''nono...'' but they're used to it now. But yes, spanish are maybe too sticky and tbh, I dont like kissing some stranger (cheeks). Its common here, when you go to a party and they introduce you to a guy/girl, you give her/him 2 kisses as gold_fenix said (girls do that, guys shake hands or embrace). But I'm not into that at all...I just stop, say ''nice to meet you'' and that's all. Its pretty funny how they react...they usually think I'm a cold, mean person..but well.:)

Family: I hug...prefer hugging than kissing.

but I wouldnt mind kiss DD's fking sweet cheeks and hug and kiss and hug and kiss him till he'll get no air

Rouxinol
04-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Anyway, you're - nor the others who might kiss you - not supposed to put your lips on the other person's skin, you're supposed to touch the other person's cheek with yours and make a kissing sound (lol). Some people just use one kiss instead of the traditional two. This usually happens between family and close friends or friends of friends which are introduced (men do that "manly embrace" thing which I'm not fond of - classical hand shake is my form of greeting).

Peerkons
04-13-2011, 01:50 PM
In almost all cases you shake hands. Between women-men, women-women you just say "Hi''.
If you know the person very good you embrace.
Only lovers kiss each other on the cheek.

Don Brick
04-13-2011, 02:03 PM
In a way I kinda wish they had that whole "kiss when you meet" thing in Finland. I like it. But I could also imagine getting bored from doing it absolutely all the time. Maybe it´s just good in smaller doses, like when you´re visiting some country for just a short period where it´s typical. :)

however there´s somebody I simply couldn´t keep my hands off at all. I´d kiss her anywhere at any time and never let go.

Blossom
04-13-2011, 02:06 PM
In a way I kinda wish they had that whole "kiss when you meet" thing in Finland. I like it. But I could also imagine getting bored from doing it absolutely all the time. Maybe it´s just good in smaller doses, like when you´re visiting some country for just a short period where it´s typical. :)

Oh trust me it is boring!!! Its simply annoying meet 8 guys/girls and start kissing each of them...:coffee:

I'd kiss that special one anytime he'd let me do it...and never get rid of it! Cuz he's a sweetie pie!

Rouxinol
04-13-2011, 02:19 PM
That's it, people love to kiss from France downwards. :lol: But... 8 in a row is too much indeed, I agree. When family gatherings I find it always annoying to have to kiss the uncle, the aunt, the cousins, the sister-in-law and so forth. :lol:

Daos
04-20-2011, 04:36 AM
In Spain between women or woman-man are two kisses each side of the face, the first kiss is in the left side of the person kissed, between men we shake hands
the exeptions with the kiss are in very formal situation or interwiev of work and between the family inside of a family reunion there are the kiss between between men but not always, depend of the person

This, but also verbally:

In my region, in times of old one would say „Noroc bun!” (Good luck!), „Zua bună!” (Good day!), „Sara bună!” (Good evening!) and, after the Church's grip tightened, „Dumňezo v-ajuťe!” (God help you!). Now one would usually say, in an informal setting, „Sérvus!”*, or use the neologism „Salut!” or „Ciao!”, of obvious origins.

*Sérvus is the shortened version of „Servus humillimus, Domine spectabilis!”, so I avoid using it...

Grumpy Cat
04-20-2011, 04:45 AM
Acadian greeting: Salut quoisse ki passe?

For normal French: Bonjour. Qu'est-ce que se passe?

East Coast English greeting: Helluba, whattaya'at?

Normal English: Hey, what's going on?

Curtis24
04-20-2011, 04:49 AM
Two black men meet in USA:
-Yo, mothafucka!
-Good morning, reverend!

you got me with that one :p

Aemma
04-20-2011, 05:13 AM
In the U.S., men shake hands in almost all situations, except between close friends or relatives, in which case they may embrace (typically in a very "manly" manner, i.e., a strong embrace & audible clapping of hands on each other's backs, etc.). Men & women who are not familiar shake hands, & sometimes they may not even touch; if they are familiar, they may embrace. Women who are not familiar will shake hands; if they are familiar, they will embrace. Occasionally male & female relatives, or two female relatives, will embrace & kiss once on the cheek. This is what I have observed is the general situation across the country.

Of course, the U.S. is not in Europe but since it is predominantly European in makeup I thought it would be useful to include. ;)

For future reference EuroAmerican, you really didn't need to include this part. :) We're all either living in Europe or part of the European diaspora here and so all of these general questions/threads refer to ALL of us, Diaspora Babies and all, unless otherwise specified. Alright? :) Please feel free to post on any and all threads here. There are no Europeans-only sections to the forum unless certain threads are specific and address certain groups only. :)

Nice post btw! :thumbs up

Pretty much the same in Canada other than in French Canada many of us say "Salut!" for both hello and goodbye. And we French tend to peck others on the cheek, either a la francaise, peck on both cheeks, or a l'anglaise, peck on one cheek. Men shake hands too; women as well depending on the formality of the encounter.

If we have a hockey stick in hand, we might cross-check. :D

Grumpy Cat
04-20-2011, 05:17 AM
For future reference EuroAmerican, you really didn't need to include this part. :) We're all either living in Europe or part of the European diaspora here and so all of these general questions/threads refer to ALL of us, Diaspora Babies and all, unless otherwise specified. Alright? :) Please feel free to post on any and all threads here. There are no Europeans-only sections to the forum unless certain threads are specific and address certain groups only. :)

Nice post btw! :thumbs up

Pretty much the same in Canada other than in French Canada many of us say "Salut!" for both hello and goodbye. And we French tend to peck others on the cheek, either a la francaise, peck on both cheeks, or a l'anglaise, peck on one cheek. Men shake hands too; women as well depending on the formality of the encounter.

If we have a hockey stick in hand, we might cross-check. :D

Franco-Ontarians do the kiss thing?

Aemma
04-20-2011, 05:18 AM
Anyway, you're - nor the others who might kiss you - not supposed to put your lips on the other person's skin, you're supposed to touch the other person's cheek with yours and make a kissing sound (lol). Some people just use one kiss instead of the traditional two. This usually happens between family and close friends or friends of friends which are introduced (men do that "manly embrace" thing which I'm not fond of - classical hand shake is my form of greeting).

Huh? Whatever happened to actually kissing another person's cheek? We tend to actually kiss here and not do the "air kiss". :shrug:

But then again in the age of Howie Mandel and all manner of germophobes, we also do props here as well. :/

Aemma
04-20-2011, 05:18 AM
Franco-Ontarians do the kiss thing?

Yep. Don't all French Canucks? :confused:

Grumpy Cat
04-20-2011, 05:20 AM
Yep. Don't all French Canucks? :confused:

:lol: Women, yes. But two Acadian dudes doing that? Hahaha. No.

Aemma
04-20-2011, 05:26 AM
:lol: Women, yes. But two Acadian dudes doing that? Hahaha.

LOL Oh I see what you mean! LOL Yes, no...I mean it's bloody late and I need to go to bed! LOL BUT to clarify, I was thinking as a woman when answering. I kiss everybody! :D Well hug at least. :D But no, the guys may hug but no kisses, depending on level of familiarity of course and time lapse between visits and amount of beer/alcohol involved and whether or not the Sens or Habs just scored. :P :D

Grumpy Cat
04-20-2011, 05:30 AM
LOL Oh I see what you mean! LOL Yes, no...I mean it's bloody late and I need to go to bed! LOL BUT to clarify, I was thinking as a woman when answering. I kiss everybody! :D Well hug at least. :D But no, the guys may hug but no kisses, depending on level of familiarity of course and time lapse between visits and amount of beer/alcohol involved and whether or not the Sens or Habs just scored. :P :D

Dudes don't hug, either. More of a pat on the back. I admit, homophobia is a problem (or a good thing, depending on what your views are) in the Acadian community and men touching men... yeah... kinda taboo.

If you see dudes hugging, it's probably at a funeral and they're family or very close friends.

Bloodeagle
04-20-2011, 01:18 PM
American white guys also like to high five, when we get real excited. :) I know there was an attempt to introduce this behavior into Canada back in the 90's but the Canadians just didn't seem to like it. :p

H6Y6LtILYiY

Aemma
04-20-2011, 03:39 PM
American white guys also like to high five, when we get real excited. :) I know there was an attempt to introduce this behavior into Canada back in the 90's but the Canadians just didn't seem to like it. :p

H6Y6LtILYiY

ROFL! Les cinq grands gars niaiseux! :thumbs up

Comte Arnau
04-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Traditional Catalans divided the day in day, evening and night. So the greetings were Bon dia! Good day!, Bon vespre! Good evening! (when the sun faded away) and Bona nit! Good night! (to go to bed).

But the Spanish influence introduced the Spanish word tarde and the Spanish way of dividing the day into mañana (morning), tarde (afternoon+early evening) and noche (late evening+night), and now most Catalans say bon dia for the morning, bona tarda for the afternoon/evening and bona nit for the evening/night, while the word vespre (vesprada in Valencia) is getting lost.

To say hello we share the Iberian hola, with a Catalan pronunciation. More formal outfashioned ways would include Déu vos guard! (God guards you!) and the like, nowadays only said by the old folk.

To say bye we say adéu, usually shortened to déu. The whole form would be adéu-siau! (literally 'be with God', just like the Spanish a Dios or the English God bye!).

Two other ways of saying bye:

- Arreveure! (Similar to the French au revoir, Italian arrivederci, Romanian la revedere)
- Passi-ho bé! (Similar to 'have a good day, Sir/Madam')

See you soon is fins aviat!

Formalities are pretty much Iberian, which means one kiss on each cheek to women and a hand shake to men in informal meetings and only hand-shakes in formal ones.

Ivanushka-supertzar
04-20-2011, 04:25 PM
We usually french-kiss and touch each other gently

http://temophoto.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/breznev_honecker_kissing_thumb.jpg?w=541&h=356

Bloodeagle
04-20-2011, 04:30 PM
We usually french-kiss and touch each other gently

http://temophoto.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/breznev_honecker_kissing_thumb.jpg?w=541&h=356
That must make family reunions a bit awkward. ;)

Ivanushka-supertzar
04-20-2011, 04:31 PM
That must make family reunions a bit awkward. ;)

It makes them look like an orgy. ;)

Dombra
03-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Vad händer jao

Austo
03-11-2013, 09:29 PM
To a family member you havent seen for a while: Hug.
Business things... shaking hands.
Saying hello to a friend: Heil

Planpincieux
03-16-2013, 11:12 PM
Traditional Catalans divided the day in day, evening and night. So the greetings were Bon dia! Good day!, Bon vespre! Good evening! (when the sun faded away) and Bona nit! Good night! (to go to bed).

But the Spanish influence introduced the Spanish word tarde and the Spanish way of dividing the day into mañana (morning), tarde (afternoon+early evening) and noche (late evening+night), and now most Catalans say bon dia for the morning, bona tarda for the afternoon/evening and bona nit for the evening/night, while the word vespre (vesprada in Valencia) is getting lost.

To say hello we share the Iberian hola, with a Catalan pronunciation. More formal outfashioned ways would include Déu vos guard! (God guards you!) and the like, nowadays only said by the old folk.

To say bye we say adéu, usually shortened to déu. The whole form would be adéu-siau! (literally 'be with God', just like the Spanish a Dios or the English God bye!).

Two other ways of saying bye:

- Arreveure! (Similar to the French au revoir, Italian arrivederci, Romanian la revedere)
- Passi-ho bé! (Similar to 'have a good day, Sir/Madam')

See you soon is fins aviat!

Formalities are pretty much Iberian, which means one kiss on each cheek to women and a hand shake to men in informal meetings and only hand-shakes in formal ones.

Catalan is so easily intelligible for me even though I've never studied the language..
All I know is French, Arpitan, Piedmontese and Italian + some basic Spanish.

Bon dia -> PM "Bondì"
Bon vespre -> IT "Buon Vespro" (literary; archaic for "twilight")
Bona nit -> PM "Bon-a neuit"
Bona tarda/Hola -> SP "Buenas tardes/Hola"
Déu vos guard -> AP "Djeu vo vard"
Adéu-siau -> PM "Adieu" + IT "Siate"
Arreveure -> FR "Au revoir"
Passi-ho bé -> IT "Passalo bene"
Fins aviat -> IT "Fino" + I guess PM "Vit"/FR "Vite"

Here are some typical greetings of my region and nearby:

Arpitan (Patoué Valdotèn)

Tànkye = Bye
Boùndzòo = G'day
ó revouâr = See you